PDA

View Full Version : Just shakes to grow/lean?

MRmichael.hooker
12-03-10, 8:46 pm
Last year I was in Iraq and had shittttty food, so I did shakes the whole day. I would do 4 protein shakes and 1 weight gainer shake (post workout). I went from 208 to 233. Gained good size, but lost 3" on waist and dropped 4%bf (in a years time). Just seeing if anyone knows how or why this was effective?

MRmichael.hooker
12-04-10, 10:51 pm
no insight?

BarbellManiac
12-04-10, 11:19 pm
Probably, because the shakes were much healthier than the shitty food. Your body like any body reacted good to healthy stuff you put in it, although if you have the option, opt out for whole food more, since it contains all the essential vitamins, minerals that go along with the specific food.

So here's a breakdown:
Whole food > Shakes (for the majority of your meals)
Shakes > Shitty food

Take 1-3 shakes a day, with more whole food meals. If your busy, try adding oats to your shakes and it should give some good carbs.

Carrnage
12-05-10, 12:31 am
Last year I was in Iraq and had shittttty food, so I did shakes the whole day. I would do 4 protein shakes and 1 weight gainer shake (post workout). I went from 208 to 233. Gained good size, but lost 3" on waist and dropped 4%bf (in a years time). Just seeing if anyone knows how or why this was effective?

shakes are very effective....they get a bad rep nowa days....protein,carbs,vitamins,minerals,extra bcaa's in a drink?? now thats good shit!!!!!!!!!

Adrenaline
12-22-11, 4:57 pm
shakes are very effective....they get a bad rep nowa days....protein,carbs,vitamins,minerals,extra bcaa's in a drink?? now thats good shit!!!!!!!!!

another benefit to shakes are the volume. you take 900 calories in a shake and it takes up less volume in your stomach compared to 900 cals from meat + rice + vegetables. since its liquid, your body uses less energy processing it which is a good thing.

i'd still rather eat a plate of fish and rice than a strawberry shake though. at one point i was rotating meal, shake, meal, shake, etc. so i probably got burnt out