PDA

View Full Version : High rep / low weights / low rep / high weights or to failure? confusing!

Ozii
12-04-10, 1:48 pm
Sup guys, so i was wondering, I'm not that opening in BB training, but our coaches over here put it in our mind,

High rep / low weights = cutting "like = 15 / 15 / 15 / 15 / 15"

Low rep / high weights = 10 / 8 / 6 / 4 = mass

to failure = "DO IT YOUR OWN WAY"

Seriously, i read in the internet that high reps will cause heat around the targeted muscles = fat lose when cutting

and low with high weights will cause a MASS

but isn't the point from training is = DESTROY, and with food + sleep = GAIN ?

i mean come on, I'm still not sure about what routine should i follow and thanks to every coach with his own myth!, after i had a long journey with my own coach he left for good, and i cannot trust anyone here with my program. It kinda affect my training, i feel like I'm training for nothing, no motivation at all because of that,

so can someone explain the different between those?

And i hope the cutting or bulking is not from training, it's from the diet or the food you are eating and the recovery for your muscle

I just want to be sure if that was right, so i start destroying my muscles in the gym my OWN way, to failure! i started to love the pain the day after the workout, i just need to know the path for.. DESTROY AND REBUILD

Waiting your comments brothers.

Brick By Brick
12-04-10, 4:02 pm
What are YOUR goals? Anyone can be a coach - doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. Tell us what your goals are, and we can help you.

Cellardweller
12-04-10, 4:04 pm
First of all what are your goals? If your goal is to build massive amounts of muscle you need to focus on hypertrophy which generally leads to more consitsent rep schemes between 8-12. If your aiming at really building your strength anything over 5 is probably too light. It looks to me like the pyramid rep scheme you have going would be more likely to develop your strength because you are working up to numbers that are taxing your system with near maximal loads. The stright rep schemes are more designed to initiate muscle activation over the course of the set. The activation and stressing of the muscle over the course of this set is more likely to stimulate hypertrophic muscle growth. And if that is your goal 4-6 might be a little on the heavy side for a set. So to summarize it all depends on your goals. If you're wanting to get freaky strong and gain size as a secondary goal stick with pyramids and low rep sets, if size is your aim you would be better suited at scaling back the weight and hitting sets of 8,9, or 10 reps with some intensity techniches thrown in (such as drop sets, rest/pause, etc) to fully stimulate the muscle and get it to grow. Once you know what your goals are implement one of these strategies and if it works stick with it, if it doesn't (and it may not because every "body" is different) then move on to something else. Hope this gives some clarification on what I believe everyone else is trying to get at. good luck!

This kinda sums it up. Depends on your goals. So what are your goals?

Ozii
12-05-10, 4:51 am
More size is what I'm looking for, my life now days is for bulking, but i was wondering, does "TO FAILURE" helps with the gains? or should i stuck with the high weights low rep road?

It's just when i do to failure i feel my muscles really destroyed, means i did the job great, and i do not feel that big pain in the high weights low reps, that what confuses me

Joe J
12-05-10, 8:16 am
Yo, throughout my on and off-season i always follow pyramid sets that start at around 15 on the warmup, then 4 working sets working down from 12, 10, 6, 2. This is what seems to work for me, and you need to figure out what works for YOU.

I would however advise you stay away from the 'high rep, low weight' approach, that will just make your muscles look deflated, and it is a common myth that it helps you shed fat from the targetted area. There is no such thing at spot fat loss!

People genetically have different muscle fibres, white and red. Depending on your amount of each will dictate whether low rep or high reps effect you. So experiment with both and see whats working for YOU.

Cutting/Bulking imo shouldn't change your training at all. Keep training hard and heavy and just change your diet according to your goals.

Good luck,
Joe.

auburn_1984
12-05-10, 10:38 am
If you have a partner to lift with give HRT a try. You take about 80% of your 1RM and do 8 reps then followed by 4 forced negatives where your partner puts some downward force on the negative as you fight the weight down for about 5 seconds but never stopping on the way down.