PDA

View Full Version : Box squats for raw lifters

Deathride
12-13-10, 2:47 pm
Probably more for the powerlifters this one but still..... What are people's opinions on box squats for raw lifters? Whilst they seem to be the be all and end all for equipped lifters who need to sit back into their gear, I find a wide stance very difficult to squat with and tend to have a closer shoulder width stance...

My questions are therefore
1) are box squats any good without gear?
2) can box squats be done without using a wide stance? (I find this very awkward and it breaks the rhythm of the squat..)
3) are they useful to do simply as a posterior chain exercise (sort of like an assistance exercise), without carrying the wide stance over into the main squat lift (if that makes sense!)?

Any opinions welcome! Thanks! (PS - If this entire post has made zero sense, I apologise in advance!)

BIG BEN
12-13-10, 3:04 pm
1)I am currently training for a full RAW meet and utilizing box squats for speed work. I like using them as a depth gauge but have never been big on sitting back with them. I touch and go for sets of 2 and three when I'm working speed and might have the tendency to want to short my depth.
2) As far as the stance a wide one takes time effort and practice but if you are getting work done with your narrow stance I see no real issues with it. My good friend Seath242 squats 700 RAW with a close stance so I know it can be done.
3) I think that is a good idea, the "sit back" box squat could really build your posterior even for a raw lifter,just make sure that you don't go crazy with the weight because the lack of hip support down at the bottom could be an issue without briefs or suit bottoms.

So in a nutshell, My vote is yes, a raw squatter can benefit from box squats, just like a raw bencher can find merrit in board presses. Just make sure that what you're doing makes sense to you, You should always move with a purpose in the gym, and if you think something can improve your lifting and you feel like it can be rationally applied to reaching your goals I say go for it. Goodluck and lift hard brother

Deathride
12-13-10, 11:33 pm
Well that sort of clarifies that! Thank you very much, Big Ben....I am considering using it as a posterior chain exercise after my normal squats as a change from GHR's (on deadlift day). Although i do like the idea of using it purely as a depth gauge....

Any other thoughts people?

IRBS
12-14-10, 9:10 am
Box squats are fine for raw lifters but it shouldnt be the majority of your training. Especially for a novice...but it is a great way to teach a proper squat. Many people (me included) can squat more raw to a box than without a box. The box also adds a comfort zone...

Just like anything else, its a tool you have in your toolbox to make you stronger. Use all the tools you have.

Big D
12-14-10, 9:46 am
in my opionin if you are training raw and are going to compete raw for an uncoming meet i would stay away from box squats-- youre not going to be squatting off a box in the meet and it can really add a false sense of security.

with that being said-- if you dont have a meet coming up or you are a solid 10-12 weeks out of a meet then you should ONLY be squatting to a box with a wide stance. box squatting is the best thing to help strengtn your entire posterior chain as well as your hips, and if you want a strong squat you need those 2 things to be as strong as possible no matter how close you squat.

obviously your hips wil be taken out of the lift the closer you go, but why make things harder? the wider your feet, the smaller the range of motion, the MORE weight wil be able to be lifted.

to sum up....

box squat if not training for a meet or if youre a ways out.
free squat if you have a meet closing in.
the wider the better

hope this helps

Jay Nera
07-28-14, 10:33 pm
Box squats are a tool.
Certain jobs require certain tools.

I would say that first off it depends on what your goal is. I've heard some guys use box squats (wide stance) to build their sumo deadlifts… and of course there are wide stance squatter who use box squats to aid them in making sure they make depth, coming out of the whole strong etc…

I agree with those people…. i think if you use a hip dominant lift i.e. wide stance squat or sumo deadlift..then box squats performed certain ways can definitely be used as a tool but not an end all be all. In the same manner that the front squat is a tool(more valuable tool imo) but not the end all be all.

Derek Kendall
07-29-14, 9:40 pm
Box squats to me personally are an easy way to squat. Most people miss lifts at the bottom out of the hole. I know guys like stand efferning uses touch and go, but if you look like at big squatter they have tremendous glute ham development. the only way to develop those muscles are from boxless squats. Either way though if you do use them use them sparingly.

Jay Nera
08-24-14, 11:12 pm
I forgot to add that i think resting at the bottom of the box squat can be very dangerous… sometimes people don't maintain pressure throughout their torsos or their pelvis rotates on the box when they sit back… i just say this because I see a lot of the recklessness and its dangerous.