PDA

View Full Version : Protein intake and growth

HDV
12-14-10, 7:41 am
Gents have a question here or 2

I am currently at a weight of 143 lbs at a height of 5 foot 2 inches and want to push my mass up to 165 lbs.From my understanding of some searches I have done on the forum one needs to eat as if he is weighing 165 lbs to get to that size?

I eat 5 to 6 meals a day of protein and carbs and I add in shakes as well.If I want to reach 165 lbs of lean mass I need to consume that much protein in order for muscle tissue to grow and maintain its self right?

How much protein should I be consuming and if over doing it I would assume it will get stored as fat in the body or am I wrong in saying so?

I'm still a little baffled on the whole calorie calculation and how to work things out correctly.My goal here is to gain that extra 20 lbs next year of lean mass as I am really starting to look good physique wise but I want bigger size.

Topher
12-14-10, 7:44 am
Might try posting your current diet and someone will chime in and tell you how to teak it to get you gains clean. Good luck bro.

Jon
12-14-10, 3:25 pm
1g protein = 4 cal
1g carb = 4 cal
1g fat = 9 cal
1g alcohol = 7 cal

protein and carbs should be at 2g per lbs

ontheEDGE
12-14-10, 5:29 pm
If you want to gain 20 lbs and not add much body fat I would not try to do it in a year. I was going for 12 and found I didn't like how much fat I was gaining. Take it slow. It's a marathon not a sprint - that's a line that helped me a lot.

In my opinion and I'm no expert, but from personal experience, I'm sorry but you don't need 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. For the average guy looking to get in shape/bigger I would say 1 per pound. Maybe 1.5.

You need to figure out your maintenance calories to stay at the weight you have, then add to that progressively every two weeks or so. Stick with good carbs and protein, healthy fats. Amino acids are great to add into the mix as well.

racyhall11
12-14-10, 10:59 pm
Protein is the building block for muscle tissue, so if you want to get real mass you better start eating it. Ration Size and Protein Intake affect Circulating Growth Hormone Concentration. Influence of Protein Intake on Growth decline, while with 6.5 per cent of this protein body weight.

The_(*)_Jackal
12-15-10, 12:43 am
You wanna get big? Good. That means we've started out on the same page.

First, you said that you wanted to gain about 20 pounds of muscle in a year. I'm sorry to say that, that is impossible (well....At least to those of us not shoving enough drugs in us to kill off a raging buffalo). Better yet, I should say that it is impossible to put on that kind of weight in that short period of time and actually see the results, as there would be a whole lot of fat gain. To counteract that fat gain you would have to lower bodyfat (I.E:Cut) which would take a significant amount of time to do correctly and a year would have passed by that point anyway.

Better than actually worrying about weight, I would (and I do) throw out the scale completely. Instead I Usually measure my progress by what I see in the mirror, as well as what I feel when I put on pants and shirts. I would also throw out caloric calculating as well, as to be brutally honest, it's never done a thing for me but keep a bunch of agitating numbers circulating throughout my head all day.
But hey...That's just my two bits.

As for protein consumption. I would suggest you go for about 1 gram of protein for each pound of bodyweight. I would also suggest that to achieve (or surpass your bodyweight if you so choose) that you go for a minimum of 30 grams of protein per meal. I also wouldn't worry too much about storing protein as bodyfat, unless you know....You're one of those fellows that intakes a good 70 grams or more in a meal believing that he won't shit or piss it out later on. What I would be more concerned about in your situation is whether or not you're carbohydrate intake is consisted of good healthy slow acting carbohydrates like oatmeal, or are you simply ingesting boatloads of sugar and climbing the walls every night.

I hoped this helped out a bit.

Jackal.

HDV
12-15-10, 12:16 pm
Guys thanks allot for the input!!

This has made me sit back and think a little as well.My problem here is not really giving myself time to grow as seems a year is too short to put on 20 lbs so I need to make it rather a much longer period but doing it cleanly.

I have come along way as I have put on about 20 lbs over the past 2 years but that is with some body fat added which I now have mostly around the stomach but not too concerned for now as my physique is looking good and I have built some good lean mass.

My diet so far is consistant and my weight stays the same from week to week so I'm at a point where I know I can start to increasing.I also eat clean because I pick up fat rather quickly.

Gents once again thanks very much for your views and opinions,it helps me allot and has helped allot to get to where I am now.

Much respect to all!

Machine
12-15-10, 4:17 pm
I think that most athletes would be surprised at the true importance of global protein consumption.

MACHINE

TheWolf
12-18-10, 11:44 am
Do you weigh your food or do you just slap a chicken breast on the George Foreman? Same goes for carb sources. I know you say "protein and carbs" but what about fats? Fats in the right amount helps with test production and are good sources of extra calories if you tend to stay lean based on your genetics.

violator
12-20-10, 12:08 pm
I think that most athletes would be surprised at the true importance of global protein consumption.

MACHINE

if i may ask, what do you mean by 'Global protein consumption?'

Machine
12-20-10, 8:09 pm
if i may ask, what do you mean by 'Global protein consumption?'

I mean to say that many, many athletes at the next level dont consume nearly the protein that most people belive they do...after all is said and done...a claorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

It is not as complex as athletes make it...especially when they fancy themselves a competent amateur nutritionist...they are the biggest pain in the ass as you have to break down everything they think they know just to make any progress.

Just my opinion though...

MACHINE

adidas
12-21-10, 12:14 pm
I mean to say that many, many athletes at the next level dont consume nearly the protein that most people belive they do...after all is said and done...a claorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

It is not as complex as athletes make it...especially when they fancy themselves a competent amateur nutritionist...they are the biggest pain in the ass as you have to break down everything they think they know just to make any progress.

MACHINE
1000 calories worth of twinkies is NOT, IMO, the same as 1000 calories worth of a flank steak (whole eggs, oat meal, whole milk, etc...).

but then that's just my opnion.

The_(*)_Jackal
12-23-10, 3:43 pm

MACHINE

Are you talking about atheletes at the olympia, or the ones in something like the olympics?

As those (at least to me) are apples and oranges.

Though you're right, most atheletes at the next level really have no idea what they're doing when it comes to nutrition. They just shut up, do what the coach tells them, down what the doctor gives them, and then go off and compete.