PDA

View Full Version : Another kind of commitment

MetalHeart
12-18-10, 3:48 pm
Well brothers. It's decided, today, I officially quit smoking. I set a goal for nothing to get between me and my gains. And from that I will quit the habit that's kept me down these past 5 years.

Onward towards a better self.

RENFRO
12-19-10, 11:49 am
I beg you to channel the frustrations you will face on this future journey. Stay true to yourself and know it is for the best. Keep us updated on your new commitment.

Hercules
12-19-10, 3:22 pm
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/iron-brothers/don%e2%80%99t-you-dare-quit-advice-from-the-addict/

MetalHeart
12-19-10, 5:18 pm
Thanks for your support brothers. I really appreciate it. Y'know...My parents kicked me out of the house, kicked me literally, dragged me down, sold my guitars, and did a lot of stuff so I'd stop smoking, but I never did.

The only thing that made me stop and actually hate it, was when my coach looked into my eyes, punched my shoulder (which hurt shitless) and yelled "You stupid fuck. You wanna know why you're not gaining? It's because of your damn smoking habit, your muscle is taking toxins in your blood, how the hell do you expect to gain?"

That's when it really hit me. That's when I hated it. And I will continue to hate it.

Girevik 69
12-19-10, 6:37 pm
Thanks for your support brothers. I really appreciate it. Y'know...My parents kicked me out of the house, kicked me literally, dragged me down, sold my guitars, and did a lot of stuff so I'd stop smoking, but I never did.

The only thing that made me stop and actually hate it, was when my coach looked into my eyes, punched my shoulder (which hurt shitless) and yelled "You stupid fuck. You wanna know why you're not gaining? It's because of your damn smoking habit, your muscle is taking toxins in your blood, how the hell do you expect to gain?"

That's when it really hit me. That's when I hated it. And I will continue to hate it.

Metalheart, always remember the words of the legendary weightlifter & wrestler, George Hackenschmidt (1878-1968):

"The consumption of tobacco is the most useless vice which exists. Nicotine is a direct poison to the heart, and, like alcohol, is very harmful." (from his excellent book on exercise and nutrition, The Way to Live, from 1908)

http://www.wrestle.co.uk/pics/fullpics/new/omoshackenschmidt.jpg

Stay strong, brother!

Machine
12-19-10, 9:11 pm
Well brothers. It's decided, today, I officially quit smoking. I set a goal for nothing to get between me and my gains. And from that I will quit the habit that's kept me down these past 5 years.

Onward towards a better self.

"You will quit the habit which has kept you down these past five years"

By my count that would put you at fifteen when you started smoking my little brother, that is truly tragic. You have your entire lifting life ahead of you so dont be so fatalistic about it. You are further ahead of many, many young men around the world in that you know what you want...that is a true blessing...now nothing can stop you.

I work with young people...and one day I happened outside past the smoking area and some young man and his buddies asked me if I smoked...I glared at them and replied, "I dont do anything stupid."

They put out their cigarettes and walked away.

Good luck

MACHINE

MetalHeart
12-20-10, 1:52 am
"You will quit the habit which has kept you down these past five years"

By my count that would put you at fifteen when you started smoking my little brother, that is truly tragic. You have your entire lifting life ahead of you so dont be so fatalistic about it. You are further ahead of many, many young men around the world in that you know what you want...that is a true blessing...now nothing can stop you.

I work with young people...and one day I happened outside past the smoking area and some young man and his buddies asked me if I smoked...I glared at them and replied, "I dont do anything stupid."

They put out their cigarettes and walked away.

Good luck

MACHINE

Thank you Machine, and thanks to all you brothers for supporting me through this. It's very inspirational.
Today I broke my best friend's nose, yesterday I told him I quit, and today he looked at me and said "cigarette?" I punched him as hard as god gave me.

I gotta say, my anger scale is getting quite filled, I'm getting ticked off easily. Running on a short fuse, so I try to go to the gym as soon as I can to let it all out on the weights instead of human faces. Trying to keep it calm otherwise.

Again, thank you brothers, you guys truly inspire me and motivate me to become a better person, and a better lifter.

Cellardweller
12-20-10, 11:16 am
I heard a story about a bunch of staff who were outside the hospital smoking when a pulmonologist (lung doctor)walked by. They said, "I guess this is when you give us a speach about quitting." and he replied, "Why? You guys are going to put my kids through college." Doctor's don't really give a shit. They're in it for the money.

Just remember to quit every day you wake up.

naturalguy
12-20-10, 11:47 am
This is a good move my man. stick with it and your life will be much better.

Machine
12-20-10, 8:45 pm
Everyone send positive energy to our brother to help him through this trying time...

MACHINE

MetalHeart
12-21-10, 1:44 am
Well, I'm starting to take it head on everyday. Headaches are starting to induce, and I'm somewhat back on my anger issues. Trying as much as I can to hold that one down because it got me in jail a while back when I had them.
I sincerely thank you brothers. I will push on through. I quit smoking and I will remain that way in my quest on being a better lifter, and a better person. An Animal.

Madcat
12-22-10, 9:27 am
Good luck my brother. Remember when it get's tough, there are people here for support. Machine has some very inspirational words for you above. Not to mention, I bet if he saw you at the cage and you walked outside and lit up in an Animal shirt.... It wouldn't just be your shoulder that hurt. Love hurts, and we all have love for each other on here.

I believe in you and I know others do too!

Machine
12-22-10, 1:23 pm
Good luck my brother. Remember when it get's tough, there are people here for support. Machine has some very inspirational words for you above. Not to mention, I bet if he saw you at the cage and you walked outside and lit up in an Animal shirt.... It wouldn't just be your shoulder that hurt. Love hurts, and we all have love for each other on here.

I believe in you and I know others do too!

This is the truth...please listen...you can do anything

MACHINE

MetalHeart
12-23-10, 2:44 am
Well, 5th day. Almost full week without it. Got a threat from my college that I'd be kicked out if I started another fight. Easy for them to say.
Ah well. All I can do is keep my Panadol near, and keep listening to Pink Floyd so I won't be pissed off easily.

Thank you brothers for your support, you have no idea how much this helps me through. And Machine, you'd be the last person I'd ever think about getting on their bad sides. Thank you for your kind words and wisdom. I will push on through.

MetalHeart
12-26-10, 12:30 am
One week clean. It feels good y'know? Although I'm getting more headaches and less patience, but it just feels good. I wake up in the morning knowing I'm a healthier person, and at the end of the day will be a better lifter.
Thanks to all the brothers who supported me and inspired to do this, and I'll keep pushing on through.

Supreme
12-26-10, 1:02 am
It's gonna be a long road, but it is possible. Goodluck brother.

Imjorman
12-26-10, 11:37 am
I'm a pastor (I'm not gonna drop religion bombs on you don't worry), and when people ask the infamous question, "How is it possible to live the lifestyle I'm supposed to live?" The answer is really easier than they think.

Moments at a time. It's hard to think about doing or not doing whatever for the next 50 years, but it's easy to say "I won't smoke for the next 5 minutes." Then 5 minutes later, "Now I'm not gonna smoke for the next 5 minutes."

Moments make up a lifetime, and before you know it brother, you won't have any side effects or drives to smoke at all.

Keep us updated man!

Introvert
12-26-10, 12:08 pm
I'm a pastor (I'm not gonna drop religion bombs on you don't worry), and when people ask the infamous question, "How is it possible to live the lifestyle I'm supposed to live?" The answer is really easier than they think.

Moments at a time. It's hard to think about doing or not doing whatever for the next 50 years, but it's easy to say "I won't smoke for the next 5 minutes." Then 5 minutes later, "Now I'm not gonna smoke for the next 5 minutes."

Moments make up a lifetime, and before you know it brother, you won't have any side effects or drives to smoke at all.

Keep us updated man!

I like that a lot man! Good words. I smoked for 5 years and got to the point where i was up to 2 packs a day. And I did just what it says above. I just had to take it moment by moment cause it does get tough. But if you're in the right headspace and doin it for yourself, you should be able to conquer and come out better for it. Stay Tough brother.

Cellardweller
12-30-10, 4:30 pm
Staying the course bro?

MetalHeart
12-31-10, 2:26 pm
I won't lie to you brothers. I did take a cigarette last thursday. it tasted like shit. I didn't know why I smoked it, but as soon as I tasted it, I knew it was out of my system, it tasted disgusting and worthless. I put it out.
Staying the course, even with all the frustration and occasional headaches. Hanging in there.

Machine
12-31-10, 2:58 pm
I won't lie to you brothers. I did take a cigarette last thursday. it tasted like shit. I didn't know why I smoked it, but as soon as I tasted it, I knew it was out of my system, it tasted disgusting and worthless. I put it out.
Staying the course, even with all the frustration and occasional headaches. Hanging in there.

Hang in there my man,,,one fucking day at a time.

MACHINE

MetalHeart
12-31-10, 6:08 pm
It frustrates me when I see the people I hung out with before when I used to smoke, now I tell them I quit and some of them go "yeah right, here have a cig" Or "uhuh, sure, yeah."
It fucking pisses me off, I actually broke a friend of mine's nose for doing that more than once.

It's just that when I see this type of person that I hung out with repeatedly suddenly not showing me the support a friend is supposed to show just makes me want to hammer him with my fists until his face fucking inverts.

The iron has never been more useful. Thank you for your massive support Machine, someday when I'm done with my education and I've got enough cash on me. I'll come visit you personally, A long way from Saudi Arabia to the states, but someday. I'll be hitting the iron with you brother.

No fucking new year wishes. Go and make your own great goddamn year. An Animal new year.

shizz702
12-31-10, 7:46 pm
I was a pack a day smoker for 6 years. Started at 13, quit at 19. There is no secret, or product that can get you to kick the habit other than simply making up your mind and acting on it.

When I finally decided enough was enough, I went into it with confidence cause I told myself I would not give myself the option of turning back. Like the old cliche' "failure is not an option."

There is some merit to that saying when dealing with something like this. Some people just can't do something like this, but to those people, I say they are weak minded. I have been through drug, alcohol, and tobacco addiction and conquered it all. Going on 5 years off the cigs, 4 years off alchol, and 7 years off drugs, so hopefully that will give you some inspiration brother. You can do this, you just have to make up your mind. Remember this......if you choose to light one up again, you simply haven't decided to quit, however if you stick the program, just remember you have made up your mind and that is all.

Cellardweller
01-01-11, 12:09 pm
Stay strong bro. You've got the Legion behind you.

MetalHeart
01-02-11, 7:47 am
Stay strong bro. You've got the Legion behind you.

I know brother, And I thank you all deeply. It is this, and my growing will power that is keeping me going.

JeremyT
01-03-11, 5:31 pm
Brother,

I quit smoking 10 months ago, and let me tell you it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I smoked for 4 years, so close to how long you did, and I started when i was 15 as well. I was smoking a pack a day for almost a year. I was completely and totally addicted to smoking cigarettes, and other things as well. I know exactly how you feel, and 11 days in i cracked as well, and bought a pack of dumos and had two smokes. Right after i smoked them I broke down, nearly cried at what I had done, ran over the pack of smokes with my car, threw them away and have not had one since.

I wish I could tell you that it gets easier, but it doesn't. Even if you hate it, you still miss it like a loved one. It is like the terrible grief of loosing someone you cared for, for many years.

Stick with it brother, because you will witness changes in your body that you have no even seen before, i feel so much better now then I ever did. Six months after I quit I made the varsity rowing team at my university and competed with my team. So if you set your mind do it, anything is possible.

Be strong brother, keep the course. I want to hear in this thread that you are clean after two weeks, and then three, and then a month.

Jer

zubda345
01-04-11, 12:08 pm
Thank God I never smoked in my life n never will!!

MetalHeart
01-05-11, 5:58 pm
Today, as I was jamming with a couple of dudes seaside, I really craved a cigarette, my left hand practically shook.
So I beat it with a rock. Fuck...This is what it feels like to get off something you like huh? Well, shit happens. I told the dudes I had to go, went to the gym and completed my leg day.

When the going gets tough, I remember the legion and I practically feel ashamed of myself for wanting to smoke. Fuck it man, I really can't thank you guys enough.

Powering through, one day at a time towards a better self.

Halfbred
01-07-11, 8:37 am
Good job man, i'm still trying to quit dipping and chewing tobacco...its hard, but im sure i can quit if i really wanted to.
Halfbred

MetalHeart
01-07-11, 6:16 pm
So this is what it feels like to be disgusted with myself...
Took around 3 cigarettes this last weekend (which to us in the arab world is thursday and friday, week starts on saturday). And I smoked half a joint.

Goddammit, I really feel like shit knowing it will retard my gains even just a little bit and it's eating me up, I really don't know what hit me? I'm not strong enough? Well fuck that. I'll have to deal with this someway or another. Even if it means not hanging around my own family.

Another stressful day. Hanging in there.

Machine
01-09-11, 8:11 pm
Dont get bogged down...just regroup and focus on the next 24 hours...this is the way to exert maximum control over your own life. Because the method your utilizing now is maximum control zero trust...you dont trust yourself to committ and follow through, so you undermine your efforts by making your goals completely unrealistic. Even the slightest breech feels to you like total self destruction...in reality to redue the total amount of smoking must be viewed as a victory, that is the reality...

Dont be so hard on yourself.

MACHINE

Crave
01-09-11, 8:25 pm
man i know what youre feeling.... i smoked weed for 2 years almost every day before i began my journey with Animal. then after some things went south because of my smoking problem i decided to completely turn myself around and take up lifting as my new addiction. it was hard as shit to get of the stuff because its so easy just to light up and forget about all my other problems, but the reward of gains in the gym outweighed it. the beginning was awful to quit just like youre experiencing. i had a few slip ups too, but those just happen. I hate to say it but i guarantee you youll lose some friends as you better yourself, but the people who are holding you down are not the people you want to be with. stay strong, were all here to help you my man.

MetalHeart
01-15-11, 8:48 am
getting there. 1 month now. I can't say I've been totally clean, I've had a few breeches. But my resolve remains the same, I will have the proper trust in myself to quit this. Headaches are strange, sometimes worse, sometimes easier. Rage fits....well those can't be prevented.

Onwards to a better self. Thank you all for supporting me through this.

Machine
01-16-11, 12:28 pm
Onward and upward...great job!

MACHINE