PDA

View Full Version : Raw vs. Cooked food.... a discussion

NJC_Manhattan
12-21-10, 12:05 am
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Have been doing some reading, research, and talking lately regarding how the body processes and understands food. We all know kcals are NOT created equally. This logically should make sense, 100 kcals of ice cream should vary from 100 kcals of lean meat, but it is supported my nutritional/scientific backing.

To go a little deeper, how bout Raw vs. Cooked food.

(Somewhat interesting)
http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-1a.shtml

Observed behavior of the body while ingesting cooked food is increased white blood cell count, which is the same if something foreign or toxic enters the body.

This was alarming to me. Our immune system is, other than central nervous, our greatest ally. I decided to try a raw food diet for a week. I ate raw fish and meats (of a particular grade), vegs, and some fruits.

The results; I felt good, but nothing that would warrant a 'second coming'.

So I wanted to ask your thoughts on the matter.

bigrobb
12-21-10, 6:51 am
raw fish Ive done that but how in the hell did you get raw meat down?

naturalguy
12-21-10, 8:03 am
I've heard about this raw diet, in theory it makes sense however I don't think it's a practical diet and their are definitely safety concerns.

We have all been digesting and thriving on cooked foods so I don't see the need to go all raw.

Girevik 69
12-21-10, 8:50 am
Some foods are best eaten raw (eg., green leafy veggies), while others are better cooked (eg., cruciferous veggies, like broccoli). The raw food zealots apparently don't consider the fact that various beneficial phytonutrients, like the Indole-3-carbinol in broccoli, or the lycopene in tomatoes, are actually made more bioavailable by cooking. You get more lycopene from cooked tomatoes or tomato sauce, as opposed to raw tomatoes. And raw broccoli is hard for most human beings to digest. In addition, beans, legumes, and tubers (eg., potatoes) must be cooked, to neutralize "anti-nutrients" like phytates, which would otherwise interfere with the absorbtion of vitamins and minerals.

As for meats, high quality sushi/sashimi (fish) is undeniably a pristine, undenatured protein (and a good source of omega-3s, depending on the type of fish). The Mongols (aka "Tartars") enjoyed raw meat (whence we get "Beef Tartar"), but I wouldn't personally want to chance it, these days. In addition, certain meats (eg., domestic pork, wild boar, etc.) must be cooked, in order to kill the trichinosis worm.

Naturalguy also made a very pertinent point--i.e., human beings have been eating cooked foods for a very long time, and have been fine.

NJC_Manhattan
12-22-10, 10:09 am
Interesting point of view

http://www.empowher.com/diets/content/vegetarian-and-raw-food-diets-are-they-healthy-dr-weil

NJC_Manhattan
12-22-10, 10:21 am
raw fish Ive done that but how in the hell did you get raw meat down?

Raw meat needs to be of an incredibly high grade.

For example, try a nice steak house. Most people want their steak raw. Why? Well, beyond the fact that ordering beyond medium is insulting, the meat that has hit our air gets contaminated by bacteria, but the meat inside is pure.

Tartare has been mentioned. It is of the correct grade. Also, ceviche (raw seafood dishes) is also excellent.

But do your homework, get blood tests, etc. before you try altering your diet.

eddieparker
12-24-10, 1:12 pm
I prefer the Raw food. I like them with lemon juice and hot sauce down the increase. While cooked foods are nutrients dead which is the lack of any real nutrition. The reason that they taste so good, is an artificial flavours and additives, chemical cocktail combinations, there is no such man-made cooked foods will look and taste of cardboard the results.