PDA

View Full Version : Will 240 pounds of mainly fat and 240 pounds of mainly muscle..

LittleSpartan
01-02-11, 11:04 am
Will 240 pounds of mainly fat and 240 pounds of mainly muscle have the same effect on knees ?
I read that being overweight has detrimental effects on knees in the long run.
But i wonder if being overweight with mainly muscles for a bodybuilder
have the same effects on knees as to overweight fat sedentary people.

Lonestar
01-02-11, 11:20 am
Well either way its still weight the body is carrying around. A lot of guys, mostly pros who are in the 280's to 300's get a lot of physical therapy due to the amount weight they're carrying. But, if your a lazy fat ass then obviously your joints are as strong as someone who lifts regularly.

Machine
01-02-11, 12:01 pm
Will 240 pounds of mainly fat and 240 pounds of mainly muscle have the same effect on knees ?
I read that being overweight has detrimental effects on knees in the long run.
But i wonder if being overweight with mainly muscles for a bodybuilder
have the same effects on knees as to overweight fat sedentary people.

Throughout the course of a man taking just one step forward on even ground; something like 750 PSI is generated, absorbed, and edured by the knee joint itself. And those are just the factors under "normal" comditions like height, weight, athletic conditioning. Anything in excess of that is just added pressure for the joint to absorb.

MACHINE

LittleSpartan
01-03-11, 12:32 am
Throughout the course of a man taking just one step forward on even ground; something like 750 PSI is generated, absorbed, and edured by the knee joint itself. And those are just the factors under "normal" comditions like height, weight, athletic conditioning. Anything in excess of that is just added pressure for the joint to absorb.

MACHINE

so i am guessing either muscle or fat
if in excess its bad then ?
yes ?

Cellardweller
01-03-11, 9:09 am
Given the choice I'd rather be 240lbs of muscle. No brainer just for the other health benefits. 240lbs of fat and you have to worry about bigger things than just your knees, like heart attacks, stroke, hypertension and diabetes. Hypertension and diabetes pretty much affect every organ in your body including your eyes. The muscular guy might pound on his knees more, but his knees would be more flexible from all the exercise and more stable from the strength training. Of course playing any sports, especially basketball and football are tough on all your joints.

intoodeep25
01-03-11, 9:19 am
yet you would figure that if a person is composed of muscle instead of fat, that he trains, hence due to the training his knees would be stronger than the guy who is just fat and never does anything. if you lift correctly, not only does it benefit your muscle size and strength, but it strengthens your ligaments and tendons also, so it may be the same amount of weight, yet the effect on the individual would be different....

Cellardweller
01-03-11, 9:31 am
Weight training also increases the calcium absorption in your bones. So stronger bones for the muscle guy, broken hips for the fat guy. I have to throw in back problems for the fat guy too.

LOGISTIX
01-03-11, 10:18 am
The muscular guy should be able to repair quicker. I would also guess that his ligaments and tendons are more resilient. A glucosamine chondroitin supplement would be a good idea. Animal Flex is a complete joint and ligament pack.

Machine
01-03-11, 8:32 pm
Fun thread...lots of smart athletes on this forum; it never stops being interesting here.

Thanks guys.

MACHINE