PDA

View Full Version : MRE's worth eating?

Sandman
01-03-11, 5:17 pm
Heres what happened to me today let me know what I should try to do next time this happens.

I'm a Volunteer Firefighter here where I live so when the pager goes off we roll whether your asleep or in the middle of makin babies with your wife. So this morning at 0330 the pager goes off and I jump throw on some clothes and go out to my truck to find 3in of snow on the ground. Which I know means its gonna be a LONG day of going from call to call cause the 60 miles of Hwy we cover is frozen. And sure as shit we are out till 0900. And all we have is MRE's on the truck. I ate one cause I was STARVING but i know they have a SHIT TON of sodium in them.

My question is should I even bother with them or is it still better than missing meals. I know i can prolly put something else on the truck to eat but I dont know what will keep. Any bar is gonna melt when its 115 degrees here in the summer.

Sandman
01-03-11, 5:39 pm
Can Someone please move this to Diet. I can't figure out how to delete this post and make a new one in the Diet section. Sorry for the hassel.

PIJW
01-03-11, 5:59 pm
if you have room on the truck, cooler, pack food for the day, chicken/fish/beef all will stay good on ice for the day. I know there are lots of guys like you on here and i hope they key in on what they do on the truck

BryanSmash!
01-03-11, 6:23 pm
I lived on MREs for six months on my first tour, they're fine to eat when there is no alternative. If youre worried abotu muscle loss, I woulndt be too concerned about it for such a short period of time between meals. It sounds like youve got more important things going on.
Id recommend either munching on some aminos, liver tabs, or have a shake pre-made in the fridge (mixed with water only) for when you get a call.

Jay
01-03-11, 10:27 pm
I wouldnt suggest not eating anything at all, especially going from call to call. I used to be a volunteer F.F. and I would keep a power bar handy just incase. Of course, going into a fire with something like that in your bunker pants has 'messy and akward situation' written all over it.

MELTDOWN
01-03-11, 11:39 pm
Can Someone please move this to Diet. I can't figure out how to delete this post and make a new one in the Diet section. Sorry for the hassel.

Done...
Carry On !!!

dannynb
01-03-11, 11:47 pm
Bad food choices are better than not eating....period. I do like the advice of keeping some Amino's and or Uni-Liver in the truck. MRE's may be high in sodium but as long as your water intake is good, shouldn't be much of a problem. If possible perhaps keeping a cooler with snacks or food on the truck if possible but if not, keep the amino's in check and munch on the MRE's just keep your water intake up.

Sandman
01-04-11, 12:43 am
Looks like I will just keep some aminos and eat the MRE's cause sometimes its weeks between calls, so keepin a cooler on the truck is a no go. And I think in the cooler months I will try to keep a box of bars on the truck also. Thanks for the advice guys.