PDA

View Full Version : Incline Barbell bench press

Jzepp
01-06-11, 11:26 pm
For those of you that do these, where do you lower the bar to on your chest? I can never feel my upper chest being worked that much from lowering the bar to my clavicle. All i read is that this is where to lower the bar. Does anybody lower the bar more to the mid chest area and would that be better felt in the upper chest? Also to me, lowering the bar to the clavicle seems to put more undue stress on the shoulder joints.

Carrnage
01-07-11, 12:04 am
For those of you that do these, where do you lower the bar to on your chest? I can never feel my upper chest being worked that much from lowering the bar to my clavicle. All i read is that this is where to lower the bar. Does anybody lower the bar more to the mid chest area and would that be better felt in the upper chest? Also to me, lowering the bar to the clavicle seems to put more undue stress on the shoulder joints.

With all your movements, you must do what feels right for you! There is no correct form!! Theres so many, we are all built differently, different lengths, bone strength, some of us have big thumbs, some of us have smaller thumbs, EVERYONE is different, so you gota find what form works for you!! You may have to shorten the range of motion on some movements just to feel the muscle working, for example if your doing a movement and your not getting pumped from it your using too much weight and the wrong form for your body. So for incline maybe you have the incline either too high? or too low? Adjust it! See what feels right, it took me years till I mastered the form on my chest movements!!

Back To Basics
01-07-11, 3:35 am
Just like carnage said, everyone is different and what works for me is not necessarily going to work for you ! The best thing you can do for yourself is listen to your body and find that perfect angle etc etc on the exercises you are performing

MrMonday
01-07-11, 7:30 am
When you look at the anatomy and function of the upper pectoral muscle, you see that its not meant to just press straight away the way the rest of the pec does.

Bringing the bar down to the clavicle only serves to stretch out the shoulders in my opinion. To get the best stretch and contraction during incline presses, I bring the bar down to my mid or lower chest (nipple line or just above it), and press with an arching motion so that I finished with the bar above my neck.

Been working for me:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8452/chestf.jpg

Aggression
01-07-11, 8:10 am
Everyone is different. I bring the bar down to my clavicle. The bar barely misses my chin. I get a great pump.

Survivor831
01-07-11, 8:22 pm
Everyone is different. I bring the bar down to my clavicle. The bar barely misses my chin. I get a great pump.

X2........Why not do incline db benches and focus on the stretch and contraction, and then once you get familiar with that feeling, transfer that to the Barbell Incline

MELTDOWN
01-07-11, 10:28 pm

Good timing as MACHINE just hit with a new article...should help ya out even if it's based on flat bench pressing

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&id=522

Machine
01-09-11, 7:58 pm
Good timing as MACHINE just hit with a new article...should help ya out even if it's based on flat bench pressing

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&id=522

Thanks...I just think that before we start analyzing the finer points...we must all take just a quick second to remember what our ultimate aim is. We aim to build the muscles of the chest. Sometimes it is helpful to point this out because no matter how centered a man is, as soon as he gets the weight on the barbell, and starts pressing the only thing he worries about is point
A to point B lifting...

Remember the mission.

MACHINE

Introvert
01-10-11, 5:18 pm
Nice article Machine. I realized I've been gripping too wide and thats why my shoulder aches after benching. Rookie mistake but I'm glad I caught it now.