PDA

View Full Version : Making of a Bodybuilder

dmaipa
01-07-11, 2:37 pm
It is an early afternoon on January 7, 2011 and I'm about 14 weeks away from my first bodybuilding competition ever. Excited but also nervous, I have no idea what to expect. I started prepping 20 weeks out. I've never dieted down before but have been a disciple of the iron game for some time, I have the calloused hands to show for. I've always been amazed with the dedication, discipline, and sacrifice that bodybuilding takes. I've read stories after stories about bodybuilders' mind-set and as I'm preparing for this show the more and more I am relating to those stories. I knew what it took to work hard in the gym, but when it came down to dieting and cardio and the discipline to make progress I began to see what they truly meant.

I find myself constantly using the mirror as my main critic, some may see that as being vain or narcissist. I understand now. I can't care what others think of me, they don't understand. I may not be the biggest bodybuilder going into the show but I'm making every effort to be the most dedicated and disciplined. As I sit on my couch and the snow continues to fall outside my window there are thoughts that constantly go around in my head.

I've always lifted. I've been lifting weights since I was in high school. I always thought of myself as a lifter and loved the iron. I remember my dad asked me, what makes me happy? I remember telling him, if I could wake up every morning and open a door to a gym with the smell of iron, echoes of the pass of sweat and pain, and the feel of a cold bar within my hands? That makes me happy. That keeps me calm.

Last night when I was training, it all hit me. For the first time. As I racked the dumbbells onto the rack, sweat falling from my brow, burning in my shoulders, my callouses stuck to the bar, breathing hard, I looked at myself in the mirror and realized...This is who I am.

kc campbell
01-07-11, 3:24 pm
Deep stuff brother, I really like it. Good luck with your prep.

dmaipa
01-07-11, 9:50 pm
Tonight I was constantly fighting with myself. I'm seeing how much energy levels go down while dieting. It's bad when you watch the clock until the next feeding. I guess feeling hungry is a good thing, but the time seems to go by so slow. Anyways, I had my leg workout tonight. Half way through my workout my legs were shaking and I was sweating like crazy. "I still have more", I think to myself. But that damn voice in my head is telling me, "You are tired, just quit."

"No, I'm not done..." I began to remember what Wrath talked about in his journey about his old man. Feeling the heavy hand on the shoulder. That excerpt he wrote really hit me hard. I haven't seen my old man for a long time. He's back in Hawaii and I've been away for too long. He is who got me interested in lifting weights. I remember watching him pick the bar full of weights off the ground to do standing military press. I was amazed at his strength and hard work. Growing up, my dad would wake my two older brothers and me up to get ready to do yard work. Before we could hang out with our friends or go to the beach, we had to take care of business first. Even today I know exactly what he will be doin in the morning and night, working in the yard. He still works full days to support the family, but still continues to work. My brothers and I get that from him. We don't know when to stop working.

So there I was tonight, feeling tired and exhausted midway through my workout. Then, I felt that heavy hand on my shoulder. I could see my old man, and he told me, "Get back to work, you not done yet."

"No, I'm not done..."

HIGA MONSTER
01-07-11, 10:00 pm
Tonight I was constantly fighting with myself. I'm seeing how much energy levels go down while dieting. It's bad when you watch the clock until the next feeding. I guess feeling hungry is a good thing, but the time seems to go by so slow. Anyways, I had my leg workout tonight. Half way through my workout my legs were shaking and I was sweating like crazy. "I still have more", I think to myself. But that damn voice in my head is telling me, "You are tired, just quit."

"No, I'm not done..." I began to remember what Wrath talked about in his journey about his old man. Feeling the heavy hand on the shoulder. That excerpt he wrote really hit me hard. I haven't seen my old man for a long time. He's back in Hawaii and I've been away for too long. He is who got me interested in lifting weights. I remember watching him pick the bar full of weights off the ground to do standing military press. I was amazed at his strength and hard work. Growing up, my dad would wake my two older brothers and me up to get ready to do yard work. Before we could hang out with our friends or go to the beach, we had to take care of business first. Even today I know exactly what he will be doin in the morning and night, working in the yard. He still works full days to support the family, but still continues to work. My brothers and I get that from him. We don't know when to stop working.

So there I was tonight, feeling tired and exhausted midway through my workout. Then, I felt that heavy hand on my shoulder. I could see my old man, and he told me, "Get back to work, you not done yet."

"No, I'm not done..."
Love it braddah.

"Boy, before u go play outside, you bettah rake all da mango leaves and pull da hilahila outta da garden first before I broke yo ass!"
Classic Hawaiian style verses by HIGA MONSTER.

dmaipa
01-07-11, 10:13 pm
Love it braddah.

"Boy, before u go play outside, you bettah rake all da mango leaves and pull da hilahila outta da garden first before I broke yo ass!"
Classic Hawaiian style verses by HIGA MONSTER.

Yup! that's my dad..one time he when throw one slippah at me cause I was slacking on the yard work..haha

Halfbred
01-07-11, 10:23 pm
is that what they call pigeon tongue?
Good read
Good luck!
Halfbred

dmaipa
01-07-11, 10:31 pm
is that what they call pigeon tongue?
Good read
Good luck!
Halfbred

yea thats pigin, if you think reading it hard..just imagine hearing it being spoken full on haha

thanks for reading man..

Halfbred
01-07-11, 10:54 pm
well i dont remember much of the pigin tongue...
i was born in hawaii in a pink hospital...i dont remember the name but im sure its the only big pink hopsital there on any of the islands. haha

HIGA MONSTER
01-07-11, 10:55 pm
Yup! that's my dad..one time he when throw one slippah at me cause I was slacking on the yard work..haha
My Mom could throw one like a boomerang. No lie. She was on point with that.

[QUOTE=Halfbred;1057617]is that what they call pigeon tongue?/QUOTE]
"Pidgin" is the proper term.
Its kinda funny how Hawaiians can turn it on or off at anytime!

HIGA MONSTER

dmaipa
01-07-11, 11:02 pm
"Pidgin" is the proper term.
Its kinda funny how Hawaiians can turn it on or off at anytime!
HIGA MONSTER

Hahah i know ya..but sometimes my girl tells me i sound funny trying for talk regular

HIGA MONSTER
01-08-11, 2:08 am
well i dont remember much of the pigin tongue...
i was born in hawaii in a pink hospital...i dont remember the name but im sure its the only big pink hopsital there on any of the islands. haha

Tripler Hospital.
My Grandpa goes there alot. He is retired Army Seargent from Schofield Barracks.

HIGA MONSTER

dmaipa
01-09-11, 3:27 pm
The Iron and Me..

It's a Sunday afternoon, and just like any other day, it's a stepping stone towards my goal.

Growing up, I've always imagined myself of becoming a warrior. My brothers and I took part in learning numerous martial arts. I enjoyed learning the techniques but mostly enjoyed the discipline of them. My grandfather was a martial artist as well. He was a quiet-humble man but had the presence of a lion. He would talk about being respectful, humble, and observant, but, along with the gentle side there is the fierce side. I believe a true warrior must be able to hold the balance of duality.

I consider the gym my training ground now. Being Native Hawaiian, I believe that everything has a spirit. Ancient Hawaiians believed their weapons and tools held great powers. Samurais also believed that their sword was a physical extension of who they were. Presently, for myself, the iron that a lift is an extension of who I am. The Iron, to me, has great power. I feel honored to be able to lift weights whenever I do. The Iron has a duality; it can make you bigger and stronger or it can come crashing down on you. Always respect the Iron.

Whenever I grasp a barbell, that barbell's spirit becomes part of mine. When the weight begins to get heavy and my body begins to fatigue, the spirit of the Iron is testing me. It is up to me to dig deeper or to submit to the Iron. It's this constant push and pull between the two spirits that draws me to the Iron. Some see the Iron as just plates, barbells, dumbbells, racks, etc. I believe the Iron is much more than that. The Iron builds your character.

When I head into the gym, my training ground, the Iron is my teacher. It knocks me down and picks me up. It makes me bleed and sweat. It makes me feel pain but victory. It tests me constantly. Every workout I learn more about myself and my spirit gets stronger. I always remember to thank the Iron for the lesson it taught me, and that I can't wait for the next challenges it brings to me in the future.

dmaipa
01-11-11, 9:56 pm
Hunger Sucks

Well it's snowing outside, the most it has since I've first moved to New York. This island boy has actually came to like this sort of weather, but every so often I wouldn't mind the taste of the salt water or hearing the rustle of coconut trees swaying in the trade winds. This whole new diet things has been an interesting ride. Eat this, eat that, don't eat this, maybe add this. I'm doing this whole contest prep solo. I don't have a nutritionist or trainer or guru, honestly I just don't have the money. The main thing I have is the support of my family and friends.

I think I'm in the right place when it comes to diet, because the image in the mirror is constantly changing towards my goal. But now I find myself always asking my girl, who's in Hawaii now, what she's eating? or asking her where she is going to eat? She already knows what I'll be eating; either eggs, chicken, beef, and some brown rice here and there. Oh, and I can't forget my veggies when I have them in my fridge. As positive as I try to be, there are just those days where things get a bit...gloomy. I hate to use negative words, but it's going to happen. I love to eat and now that I'm dieting for a contest the feeling of being hungry most of the time isn't so pleasant in my book. Especially when one of my favorite channels to watch on TV is the Food Network. Every once in a while I find myself watching the Food Network and drooling over all the food. Definitely, Man v. Food on the Travel Channel is up there too. Where I am now and how hungry I am, I would take on any Food challenge.

dmaipa
01-12-11, 4:45 pm
Do You Like Pain?

I see the same faces every time I go to the gym. There are the usual people who just stand there and talk most of the time, others who are trying the newest workout from Men's Fitness, people who kind of just stare at you wondering what you are doing, and there are the ones who are there to train.

Today while performing squats, there was an elder gentleman lifting in the same area. I could feel his eyes on me. It was pretty obvious, especially after one of my sets I looked at him and he quickly looked away. So there was I was at my last set of squats. When I stood there after each rep I knew I had to go back down. My breathing was heavy, and sweat poured down from my face. Each time I stood back up I told myself to get back down. Legs started burning. It was as if there was an itch under my skin that I couldn't scratch. That voice in my head said, "You're done, You're done." I stood there submitting, but then that heavy hand came back. I looked up into the mirror and there was my old man, "Get back to work, boy."

I kept on going.

I finally racked the weight and leaned against the bar. Sweat dripped on the floor and my legs started to shake. I just stood there trying to regain my strength. I slowly started to re-rack my weights when the elder gentleman walked up to me. "Do you like pain?" He asked me. I just smiled, still trying to regain my breath back. "I'm serious, whenever I see you in here, you look like you're in pain."

The pain I feel makes me feel real. But it's more than just taking the pain. It's about challenging yourself and seeing how deep you can dig down into your soul. It's about where you would take yourself in order to get there, to get that drive to keep going. It's about being truly honest with who you are, which I believe is one of the hardest things to do and something I still need work on. Like I've said before, The Iron is more than just a piece of metal, it's a creator of character.

So back to the question, do I like the pain I feel when I workout? No...I love it.

C.Coronato
01-13-11, 2:21 pm
Great words, my friend. I also find myself watching the Food Network channel during contest prep time. It becomes my life lol.

Aggression
01-13-11, 3:05 pm
Likin' the entries, my man. Keep 'em coming and keep training hard.

dmaipa
01-14-11, 3:28 pm
Day In, Day Out

It's great to have the support of my family and friends. When I told them that I will be embarking on this journey I think they thought I was crazy. My old man has been keeping track of my journey and brought the Myth of Sisyphust to my attention after he read my last log about "Pain". I have a big interest in Greek mythology and philosphy so when my old man mentioned Sisyphus I dove right into researching even more.

Sisyphus angered the gods and was condemned to pushing a stone up a hill for eternity. When he got the stone to the top, it would roll back down and he would have to push it back up. Day in and day out. Now a person looking in would see this as a constant dissapointment and torture. But, some philosophers stated that Sisyphus was actually happy. They believed that although the gods condemned him to this horrible task for eternity, Sisyphus realized that this was his life now, this was his purpose. He believed every time the stone rolled down he was closer to his goal and that at some point it was bound to happen that the stone will stay at the top. I see where these philosophers are coming from.

During this journey there has definitely been some dissapointments; feeling tired, hungry, workouts weren't the best, and more. Also, eating the same thing day in and day out can get a bit boring but when I look deeper into myself, I'm actually happy because there is purpose to all of it. My days have become a routine. I wake up the same time everyday. I workout at the same time everyday (well almost). I eat at the same time everyday, and get ready for bed at the same time everyday (you can ask my girl). A person looking in on what I do may see it as boring, monotonous, and painful. Like Sisyphus, I've accepeted this task, this journey. My old man being a philosopher himself told me, unlike Sisyphus I will reach the top of the hill and be satisfied and that I have to figure out what hill I'm dealing with at this time.

So now everyday I push my stone up the hill, and every night it rolls back down. The day will come when that stone stands strong on the summit..

dmaipa
01-18-11, 8:03 pm
Chipping Away...

I'm sure every body who's interested in lifting weights has watched or heard of the film Pumping Iron with Arnold. The thing that stuck out to me the most was when Arnold mentioned that a bodybuilder was an artist, a sculptor, and the difference was while a sculptor could chip away at a piece of stone, a bodybuilder has to spend countless hours on building and analyzing their own body. I've always thought it was an interesting idea but now I'm seeing exactly what he meant. As the diet is coming along and the training is going strong, I'm slowly understanding what it means to be an artist of the body.

Each rep, and each meal I'm chipping away at myself to sculpt a piece of art. This journey not only has been chipping away at me physically but also mentally. Every doubt that comes into my mind about what I'm trying to do, I quickly confront it and overcome. There has been times when I'm doing exercises or eating a meal where I think to myself, "What the hell am I doing?" These types of thoughts are coming to me lesser and lesser as I chip them away. I know what I want to acheive, and I believe I know what it takes.

When the great sculptors took their chisels to the large pieces of stone, I wonder what they were thinking. The hours it took for them to constantly analyze every chip they made, and how much they had to plan each and every move to create something to be proud of must have challenged them mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. That's why I am understanding and still learning the process it takes to get to that point.

So until I get there, I'm going to keep chipping away...

dmaipa
01-22-11, 8:08 pm
Cool Your Jets

So, I hit a wall. Yesterday I realized I had to re-evaluate a few things for my journey, and I did. I researched, asked around, and figured out what needed to be done. As I read through articles and heard of others' experiences there was a constant theme. Miserable. Drained. Moody. Pissed off. On and on about negative feelings.

I know as it comes closer to the contest I will be challenged even more with these sorts of feelings. I've felt some of them already, but they are quickly shrugged off. I have to thank my mom for that strength. No matter how much bullshit she puts up with, she still has a smile on her face and still welcoming and warm to everyone around. Even till today, she amazes me. I remember her telling me, "No matter how crappy things get, there is no sense in feeling all ugly inside. Smile."

I remember if I ever came home in a bad attitude, my mom would be right there to snap me out of it. She would tell me, "Eh, cool your jets!" or give me one good flick. Quickly, I knew I had to change my attitude.

This journey is going to throw me many challenges, physicaly and mentally. It's going to push me to my limits, I can sense it already. Some say that this is a big burden that you have to carry on your shoulders. Although I agree to a certain extent, I also think about how there are much heavier burdens on others' shoulders. No matter how crappy, tired, and hungry I may feel during this journey there are many out there who have it worse. Like my mom says, "So lucky we live Hawaii."

Even though I live in New York now, Hawaii is still close to my heart, it's in my blood. The lessons I've learned growing up has been greatly helping me during this journey to stay on course. One of the main things I realized since I recently hit a wall is that when I feel any negativety I know I'm going to hear my mom telling me, "Eh cool your jets!"

Thanks Mom.

dmaipa
01-26-11, 5:46 pm
Iron Brotherhood...

How do you feel when you step in to the gym? Do you get that anxious nervous feeling with anticipation of what's about to happen? Or that excitement as if you were a small kid in an ice cream shop? On my way to the gym the excitement starts. Hell, it starts while I'm in my apartment getting ready to head out the door. The gym is like my home - well actually it basically is my home.

Before I moved out to the east coast, I worked out in the same gym for 7 years. I even ended up working there for 6 of those years. There were the usual guys that I saw all the time. I would walk in, give nods to other iron brothers, and get to work. I also had a solid training group. It was all about business when we trained together but had fun as well pushing one another. I like to think we had a "controlled chaos".

Now that I'm out on the east coast and at a new gym, that feeling of the iron brotherhood isn't there. Once you step on the gym floor people are sizing you up and judging every movement you make. Sometimes I just want to look at them and say, "What are you staring at?" Most of the times I try to be a shadow and just be a ghost walking amongst real world. There's a lack of mutual respect not with just one another but with the Iron.

They don't realize that in the gym we are all the same. The only thing that is judging us is the Iron. He's the one who's staring at you and constantly wants to see what you are truly made of. He's the one that laughs at you if you can't complete a lift or if you are stupid enough to put on more weight than you can actually handle.

Every once in awhile at this new gym I come across a brother of the Iron. I give a nod, and get back to work.

dmaipa
01-29-11, 12:42 pm
Set Back...

The pass three days have been a huge barrier in my contest prep. It was as if I was climbing a mountain in a suffocating fog not knowing when the top would come. I got sick. I couldn't function, my body ached, the voices in my head kept on taunting me to indulge myself in some comforting food. I'm not one that gets sick very often, actually I pride myself on never getting sick. I started feeling this demon possessing me on Wednesday. I felt I could fight it off, I was excited for my Leg day on Thursday so I was riding on that high. I woke up the next morning feeling the demon's hand heavy on my chest, I wasn't going to give in.

I got to the gym feeling ready to attack my workout, but as I pushed on I felt the demon on my back getting heavier and heavier. Too much for me to shake off. I sat on the bench feeling defeated. I was humbled. I wasn't invincible. I left the gym not finishing my workout.

Over the next two days (Thursday and Friday) I knew what I needed to rid myself from this demon. I rested. Diet wise I still made sure I ate my food which was a workout in itself. Having to swallow my food with a sore throat and eating when I didn't feel like eating was a challenge. So that was my life for two days, sleeping on the couch and setting my alarm for the next meal.

Saturday morning, after an early night's sleep, I slowly opened my eyes and realized that heavy hand on my chest was gone. The demon in my head was silenced. I reached the top of the mountain surrounded by blue skies.

I thought to myself, "I'm Back..."

dmaipa
02-05-11, 12:35 pm
RHYTHM...

Now that the day is coming closer, for me it's been a long journey so far. Started this journey 24 weeks out from the show. That was when I decided to compete, that was when I decided to become a bodybuilder. I always enjoyed the Iron but at 24 weeks out from the show I decided to take it to a different level.

Recently, I'm finding myself thinking a lot. What else are you going to do while you spend time doing cardio? The Stair Master has become my new friend. Every time I head over to that machine it's already laughing at me. During the time doing cardio and zone out. It's like everything around becomes foggy and I'm just there alone in my own head. Sometimes I zone out so much that when I look at the timer I'm almost done with my session.

It's all been a learning experience. Something that I've been realizing is that life is all about rhythm. Everything we do in life comes down to the rhythm. When you are having a great day where everything is going your way, you are in good rhythm. Then you have those days which your rhythm isn't there, and it sucks, so you try to do anything to get yourself back into your rhythm. It's up to you to find out what gets you back. For me, it was simply just playing my guitar. Simply thinking about playing Hawaiian music with my family and enjoying good food got me back in my rhythm.

So the more I thought about it, the more I realized that even my training is all about rhythm. My workouts became out of rhythm for awhile. I loss the fluidity to them. When watching sports we sometimes hear an announcer say that an athlete needs to find their rhythm when the athletes finds themselves in a rut. In my last log I mentioned, I'm Back. I stayed away from my blog to see whether or not it was just that day I felt that way or if I was actually back in the rhythm of things. Coming towards the end of week 11 I can honestly say that I've re-tuned my journey and found my rhythm again to succeed.

Aloha.

dmaipa
02-10-11, 7:44 pm
Controlled Chaos

I see myself as a laid back kind of guy. You can ask anyone who knows me and they will probably mention I like to relax and go with the flow. Though, with everything in life there is a duality.

It takes a lot for me to get angry or upset. I always try to keep a positive mind. But, there are those times where the other side does come out. That rage. Everyone has it. For me, I've learned to channel it towards my training.

There are many gym goers who feel they have to walk around the gym like they hate the world. As if having their face crunched up is going to make them train harder. That's just not they way I do things. I like to stay calm and composed when I train. I'm not one to yell or stomp my feet because I don't have a need for it. It doesn't bother me when others do it, just as long as they are doing it for a reason and not trying to draw attention to themselves. Although I may seem calm on the outside, I know that chaos is there when I call upon it. It's called "Controlled Chaos."

When I dig deep and bring out that chaos, everything becomes silent. Back in Hawaii I'm part of a Native Hawaiian group called Pa Kui A Holo where I have been blessed to start learning the ancient Hawaiian art of warfare and more about my Hawaiian culture as a man. There is a chant we do that speaks about Kamapua'a, the wild boar god, who had taken the form of a warrior and when he began bathe himself in stream he transforms himself back to being a wild boar. Ever since I've learned that chant, I used it as a tool during my training.

Whenever I grab the Iron I can feel my heart begin to pound in my chest as if there is caged beast within my chest trying to escape. I feel warmth in my hands. My body begins to grow, transforming itself. Reality becomes blurry. Eyes become red filled with blood. The battle with the Iron begins. Chaos unleashes itself.

When I release from the Iron, serenity.

My heart rate begins to slow down and reality becomes clear. I rest and compose myself before I go back to battle with the Iron again...and again.

"Mai ho'oni i ka wai lana malie" - Do not disturb the water that is tranquil

Aloha.

dmaipa
02-19-11, 11:13 pm
So here I am sitting at work. I’m at 9 Weeks away from judgement day. Each day I feel more and more confident about myself as I start seeing the changes in my body. Again, I found myself changing things during my contest prep. I was losing too much too fast. People have been asking me if I have anyone helping me out in my contest prep with my diet and training. Nope. I get a few pointers here and there but most of it is what I’ve learned or learning.

I found it interesting when I see people that haven’t seen me this way mention how skinny I look. I was never known to be a skinny guy, and well I did lose close to 20 lbs. Skinny isn’t what I’m going for though. I analyzed where my body was, and yes, I was seeing muscle separations I’ve never seen before which wanted me to see even more, but I got ahead of myself and tried to do too much too soon. I took a step back and re-evaluated. I kept my training the same, heavy and hard. But I switched up my diet.

What was working for me then, wasn’t working for me now. I’m learning that with bodybuilding you have to learn how to adapt to changes. When obstacles come at you there is no sense in freaking out. Face those challenges, use them to your advantage, and turn them into a positive. Make the challenge work for you. How? That’s for the individual to figure out.

I’ve had to switch up my training, diet, lifestyle, and more in order to take on this journey. Yes, it’s been a challenge, but I love a challenge.

I’m lucky to have a girl that understands me and knows that when I set my mind to do something I’m passionate about she knows everyone better watch out. Maybe I’m getting ahead myself as usual, or maybe it’s just the way I’m feeling tonight, but I have to say to everyone who is going to see me at the competition…

The Hawaiian is coming…

IMUA!

fawaz
02-20-11, 12:54 pm
It is an early afternoon on January 7, 2011 and I'm about 14 weeks away from my first bodybuilding competition ever. Excited but also nervous, I have no idea what to expect. I started prepping 20 weeks out. I've never dieted down before but have been a disciple of the iron game for some time, I have the calloused hands to show for. I've always been amazed with the dedication, discipline, and sacrifice that bodybuilding takes. I've read stories after stories about bodybuilders' mind-set and as I'm preparing for this show the more and more I am relating to those stories. I knew what it took to work hard in the gym, but when it came down to dieting and cardio and the discipline to make progress I began to see what they truly meant.

I find myself constantly using the mirror as my main critic, some may see that as being vain or narcissist. I understand now. I can't care what others think of me, they don't understand. I may not be the biggest bodybuilder going into the show but I'm making every effort to be the most dedicated and disciplined. As I sit on my couch and the snow continues to fall outside my window there are thoughts that constantly go around in my head.

I've always lifted. I've been lifting weights since I was in high school. I always thought of myself as a lifter and loved the iron. I remember my dad asked me, what makes me happy? I remember telling him, if I could wake up every morning and open a door to a gym with the smell of iron, echoes of the pass of sweat and pain, and the feel of a cold bar within my hands? That makes me happy. That keeps me calm.

Last night when I was training, it all hit me. For the first time. As I racked the dumbbells onto the rack, sweat falling from my brow, burning in my shoulders, my callouses stuck to the bar, breathing hard, I looked at myself in the mirror and realized...This is who I am.

keep up the hard training and dedication.stay focused,believe in yourself and you will get to where you desire to be.it will be hard no doubt about it but constantly stay dedicated and motivated wach some branch warren videos their awesome.good luck bro.

fawaz
02-21-11, 5:46 pm
The Iron and Me..

It's a Sunday afternoon, and just like any other day, it's a stepping stone towards my goal.

Growing up, I've always imagined myself of becoming a warrior. My brothers and I took part in learning numerous martial arts. I enjoyed learning the techniques but mostly enjoyed the discipline of them. My grandfather was a martial artist as well. He was a quiet-humble man but had the presence of a lion. He would talk about being respectful, humble, and observant, but, along with the gentle side there is the fierce side. I believe a true warrior must be able to hold the balance of duality.

I consider the gym my training ground now. Being Native Hawaiian, I believe that everything has a spirit. Ancient Hawaiians believed their weapons and tools held great powers. Samurais also believed that their sword was a physical extension of who they were. Presently, for myself, the iron that a lift is an extension of who I am. The Iron, to me, has great power. I feel honored to be able to lift weights whenever I do. The Iron has a duality; it can make you bigger and stronger or it can come crashing down on you. Always respect the Iron.

Whenever I grasp a barbell, that barbell's spirit becomes part of mine. When the weight begins to get heavy and my body begins to fatigue, the spirit of the Iron is testing me. It is up to me to dig deeper or to submit to the Iron. It's this constant push and pull between the two spirits that draws me to the Iron. Some see the Iron as just plates, barbells, dumbbells, racks, etc. I believe the Iron is much more than that. The Iron builds your character.

When I head into the gym, my training ground, the Iron is my teacher. It knocks me down and picks me up. It makes me bleed and sweat. It makes me feel pain but victory. It tests me constantly. Every workout I learn more about myself and my spirit gets stronger. I always remember to thank the Iron for the lesson it taught me, and that I can't wait for the next challenges it brings to me in the future.

yes very true.just like henry rollins said you can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk get told that your a god or a total bastard.the iron will always kick you the real deal the all knowing perspective giver always there like a beacon in the pitch black.i have found the iron to be my greatest friend,never freaks out on me,never runs.friends may come and go but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds.
i have learnt this of by heart because it means and has meant so much to me.

dmaipa
02-26-11, 10:48 am
yes very true.just like henry rollins said you can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk get told that your a god or a total bastard.the iron will always kick you the real deal the all knowing perspective giver always there like a beacon in the pitch black.i have found the iron to be my greatest friend,never freaks out on me,never runs.friends may come and go but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds.
i have learnt this of by heart because it means and has meant so much to me.

awesome words fawaz, glad to see a fellow Iron Brother with a solid mental focus

dmaipa
02-28-11, 12:29 pm
I feel like the closer and closer I get to the competition the more isolated I'm feeling. I used to find myself constantly on the forums I'm apart of updating my logs and checking to see how others are doing in their journey. Nowadays, it's been less of a worry for me. The closer I get the more selfish I'm feeling. As bad as it sounds, sometimes you have to become selfish when you are focused on a goal. As much as I want to check in on others and encourage them, I really need to worry about what I'm doing in preparing for my contest.

For the people who are around me, especially my girl, I put all of my energy into them. My girl is the one who has to be around me most of the time. She understands me. She knows when I'm in the mood to sit quietly and be alone. I appreciate her for that because it makes things much easier on me. With her busy schedule, I try to be as much of a support system for her as she is for me.

There has been days recently where I question myself if I'm really ready, if I'm where I'm supposed to be. I have a lot of family back at home, in Hawaii, who are behind me 100%. My brother, Isaiah, has been a great help for me. The quick conversations over the phone and him taking the time to check my logs and give me words of encouragement have been giving me the constant drive I need to push through the last several weeks. His excitement gets me fired up to push even harder in the gym and stick to my diet.

That's what I've been learning on this journey. It's great to surround yourself with great people. I'm lucky to have my girl and our new friends here in New York. I'm also blessed to have a family all the way across the Pacific Ocean who are constantly checking on me and motivating me.

Mahalo.

dmaipa
03-08-11, 1:01 pm
The Journey
Feel like time is flying. I'm feeling all these different emotions throughout everyday; anxious, nervous, determined, excited, uncertain, sure, confident, and on and on. Some days I feel on top of the world while others I just don't know. It's crazy to find myself constantly analyzing my body and seeing if I should tweak my diet or add in cardio or what not. I'm finding it to be a constant challenge. Questions go through my head Will I be ready?, as well as thoughts of I can do this!

It's getting harder each day, because each day counts. I'm making sure to get in all my meals as well as make sure I'm pushing myself hard in the gym. Posing is a whole different challenge I'm finding. There are moments where pose after pose are nice and smooth and then next time I practice it's as if I've never done it before. It gets quite frustrating.

Today especially is one of those low days. My energy is down, my head is foggy, and I'm hungry! I'm constantly looking at the clock to see if it's time for the next meal. OH! Since I'm constantly drinking water throughout the day, I'm always taking a trip to the bathroom which sucks especially today because I trained legs. Each time I have to get off the couch I practically have to roll of the couch and get some support from the coffee table to get up. I'm getting tired of always having to pee. That's the "pain in the ass" thing of today.

Looks like it's close to time to prepare my next meal. Mmm..more fish.

Aloha

fawaz
03-08-11, 1:45 pm
you described how its hard to move days after leg day.i know exactly what your talking about and always have the motivation,desire and will of iron to be focused on achievingyour goals.good luck in your contest.ask yourself when your up there ''will i be working harder than the competitor standing beside me when they call the line up''.That will motivate you to not let anyone outwork you in the gym and outdiet you outcardio you and so on.

dmaipa
03-08-11, 2:40 pm
you described how its hard to move days after leg day.i know exactly what your talking about and always have the motivation,desire and will of iron to be focused on achievingyour goals.good luck in your contest.ask yourself when your up there ''will i be working harder than the competitor standing beside me when they call the line up''.That will motivate you to not let anyone outwork you in the gym and outdiet you outcardio you and so on.

Thanks Fawaz..really appreciate the support

jandirigma
03-08-11, 4:11 pm
Haha, read all you posts in one sitting! Words as solid as the iron itself. Write, sweat, bleed, keep getting inspired. Great stuff, bro.

jandirigma
03-08-11, 4:55 pm
Now that I've let your posts kinda simmer in my head...I've made a new entry inspired by ya. That got some brain cells working, hehe!

dmaipa
03-09-11, 6:43 pm
The Hawaiians are Coming

Just a quick recap about me. I decided to enter a bodybuilding competition in April in Columbus, OH. Now for those of you who know me know that I'm an island boy. I love the fish and poi, the beach, being around family, the sun, the music, and everything else dealing with being born and raised in Hawaii. But here I am all the way across the Pacific, across the United States, and finding myself in Ithaca,NY. I've become fond of this small town but definitely a whole world different from what I'm use to. There's the snow, the freezing cold wind, freezing rain, gray skies, and shoveling snow throughout mist of the year. It's been an awesome experience.

Why am I up here? My girl is getting her University in Hospitality Management. So she has a challenge she is attacking as well. I always knew she was the smart one between the two of us. But that's going off track, and for another time.

Back to my bodybuilding competition. I've been keeping in contact with my family back at home and they've been checking in on me every now and then to see how things are going. They ask about my diet, training, if I'm practicing posing, if I got my music for my routine, and how's my "banana hammock". It makes me even more excited to keep pushing forward. But,I have another reason to have my drive increase high gear. I just found out that all the Aipa boys will be taking over the Midwest. My two older brothers and my dad are all coming out to Ohio for the competition. My motivation level is off the charts now.

So for all you who are going to be at the competition in Ohio watchout because the Natives are coming!

IMUA! aloha

jandirigma
03-09-11, 9:33 pm
Family; always a great motivator. Crush the comp, make 'em proud!

dmaipa
03-14-11, 10:33 am
The Journey
33 Days Out

Yea, that's what I thought. 33 days out?! At first time was crawling, but now it feels like its flying by. In 33 days I'll be stepping onto unfamiliar ground. I've always had a great passion training with the Iron. I don't train to get a beach body or to show off. I train because I love it. But in 33 days I'll be sharing my hard work and dedication. It's a decision I made because I saw it as a challenge to put myself out there and present myself in front of judging eyes. But I'm not worried about stepping on stage. Surprisingly, I'm more focused on making sure each day is productive towards my goal. When I step into the gym, I'm not worried about the numbers, the percentages of training intensity, or the sets and reps. The main thing I need to know is that I gave it everything I had when I leave the gym. It's crazy to think where I was before I started this journey.

I've read my past entries over and saw that I was just as determined as I was then than I am now. It's been a long road, but in 33 days it won't be the end. It's become a lifestyle that I've found to be natural for me. People have asked me for the reason why I'm doing it, and why do I put my body through all the dieting and hard training? My simple answer is because...

I love it.

fawaz
03-15-11, 2:30 pm
The Journey
33 Days Out

Yea, that's what I thought. 33 days out?! At first time was crawling, but now it feels like its flying by. In 33 days I'll be stepping onto unfamiliar ground. I've always had a great passion training with the Iron. I don't train to get a beach body or to show off. I train because I love it. But in 33 days I'll be sharing my hard work and dedication. It's a decision I made because I saw it as a challenge to put myself out there and present myself in front of judging eyes. But I'm not worried about stepping on stage. Surprisingly, I'm more focused on making sure each day is productive towards my goal. When I step into the gym, I'm not worried about the numbers, the percentages of training intensity, or the sets and reps. The main thing I need to know is that I gave it everything I had when I leave the gym. It's crazy to think where I was before I started this journey.

I've read my past entries over and saw that I was just as determined as I was then than I am now. It's been a long road, but in 33 days it won't be the end. It's become a lifestyle that I've found to be natural for me. People have asked me for the reason why I'm doing it, and why do I put my body through all the dieting and hard training? My simple answer is because...

I love it.

good luck with the competition make sure to tell me what place you got and if you need any advise then i will reply to it bro.

Bruiser
03-15-11, 8:25 pm
The Journey
33 Days Out

I love it.

Good luck with your journey man. I love this sport, but know that I will never step on stage. I really admire anyone that does. Not to sound cheesey, but the secoind you step out there, you've already won.

dmaipa
03-27-11, 1:08 pm
"You can come close to understanding no-thing by realizing that there is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself."
-Miyamoto Musashi

The competition is right around the corner, and my determination is just as high as when I first started this journey. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Each time I step into the gym or do cardio I feel victorious. I have daily goals I make sure to achieve: giving it all in the gym, sticking to my diet, staying positive, and keeping humble.

When you want something bad enough, you really have to look inside yourself and be honest. You can't wait for an opportunity, you have to create the opportunity.

jandirigma
03-28-11, 2:13 am
Great passage, really empowers me in my current situation. I'm studying abroad and I want to do my best. I want to do so really badly and make the most of training as well. Great reminder that we've got to really dig deep and make things possible.

Jake Roy
04-04-11, 6:10 pm
The Journey
33 Days Out

I love it.

Good luck in the competition bro. I have been keeping up on your journey and you have been very motivating to me. Great vision and focus. I hope all goes well!

Jake Roy

dmaipa
04-05-11, 9:06 am
I'm 11 days out from stepping onto the bodybuilding stage for the first time. Thinking about it, I don't think I ever did think about stepping on stage. I've always had a passion for the Iron. It's something I feel very connected to. For some reason I feel the Iron understands me. Maybe because it's always there for me during the high and low times. It listens to me when I have to get something off my chest. For the ones who know me, I'm not the kind of guy that likes to share his feelings but yet the Iron seems to always get it out of me.

So here I am, 11 days out. The Iron and me have been constantly battling throughout this whole journey. I've been feeling the effects of the dieting a lot more than before. My strength levels have gone down and my energy levels come and go. Each day I wake up, I know I'm closer to victory. I'm not saying I'm going to win, I have no idea. But I already am having a sense of personal victory. I'm achieving something I never thought I would and I believe this is going to open up opportunities for more great journeys.

I've been asked, how do you stick to all this dieting and training for so long? One reason is because I don't want to look like crap when I step onto the bodybuilding stage. But in all seriousness, if you truly want to achieve a specific goal, you have to be honest with yourself and do whatever it takes to be successful. This goes for anything in life I feel. Don't wait for something to come to you, go out and get it because its there waiting on you.

Aloha.

jandirigma
04-07-11, 6:07 pm
It's gonna be a hard time climbing to the top. However I know and I'm sure you know that any which way you're gonna be able to scratch your way up and make it. Hang tough, and make your dream come true, bro. And if anybody gets in the way, it's just a matter of proving who wants it more and who's willing to die for that dream. Go at it!