PDA

View Full Version : Too Sick to Workout? Maybe Not...

HugeMuscleGeek
01-12-11, 3:08 pm
OK...woke up this morning with a runny nose, sore throat, and sinus drainage. It's going around. Charlie's had is the past week or so, and lots of people at work seem to be doing the usual winter hacking and coughing.

But am I sick enough to stay home from the gym? I know there's something to be said for getting in there and gutting it out, but will I end up worse off down the road? And no, smart ass...this isn't an excuse to be lazy. It's a legitimate scientific question. So where to go to get an answer?

Read more...
http://www.hugemusclegeek.com/2011/01/too-sick-to-workout-maybe-not.html

almosteasy
01-12-11, 3:22 pm
personally, when i'm sick i always feel better after i work out. nothing wrong with sweating out the sickness.

Cellardweller
01-12-11, 3:35 pm
If you just have the sniffels then go kick some ass. If you got the shits then you better stay home. More for your own dignity than anything else. If you're blowing your nose you might want to use some kind of alcohol hand rub just so you aren't spreading stuff around.

Phil800101
01-12-11, 4:13 pm
The answer varies person to person and sickness to sickness. You really have to just know yourself, your body, and your limitations. Training taxes your CNS, as does sickness. It might not hurt to go to the gym, but on the other hand it may make things worse. Sometimes it's better to stay home one day then to push it and miss more days in the future.

I personally take it on a case by case basis every time. A big thing that I always look at is my energy level. If I'm feeling sick (runny nose, sore throat, minor cough, etc), but with the usual amount of energy, then generally I'll suck it up (no pun intended) and work out. If I'm feeling drained or worn down, then I rest. I figure that my body is already telling me to take it easy, so I should probably listen. I also won't train if I have any kind of fever or serious chest congestion either.

The important thing is to stay safe and not make things worse. If you're not sure, then I would play it safe and stay home. If you do go train, then I would take Cellardweller's advice and wipe stuff down after you use it, just to keep it from spreading around.

Machine
01-12-11, 9:19 pm
The answer varies person to person and sickness to sickness. You really have to just know yourself, your body, and your limitations. Training taxes your CNS, as does sickness. It might not hurt to go to the gym, but on the other hand it may make things worse. Sometimes it's better to stay home one day then to push it and miss more days in the future.

I personally take it on a case by case basis every time. A big thing that I always look at is my energy level. If I'm feeling sick (runny nose, sore throat, minor cough, etc), but with the usual amount of energy, then generally I'll suck it up (no pun intended) and work out. If I'm feeling drained or worn down, then I rest. I figure that my body is already telling me to take it easy, so I should probably listen. I also won't train if I have any kind of fever or serious chest congestion either.

The important thing is to stay safe and not make things worse. If you're not sure, then I would play it safe and stay home. If you do go train, then I would take Cellardweller's advice and wipe stuff down after you use it, just to keep it from spreading around.

This is sound advice...I like your approach.

MACHINE