PDA

View Full Version : How Much Is Too Much

Icarus
01-14-11, 7:25 pm
Brothers, this is my first post so i first of all want to say thanks and much love for all the invaluable advice i have received from this forum.
I thought i would start this thread to see if it is in any way practical to spend hours in the gym at a time.
The frustration for me is that i want to spend every second of the day i can in the gym lifting till i collapse but i just don't want to interfere with rest to the point where my gains stop. Is there a specific workout i could be pointed to that would avoid over training but allow me to spend more time hittin it, or is this type of training just non effective?
Thanks in advance.

Big Bay
01-14-11, 7:38 pm
Need some more info brother. There are plenty people here that have solid advice. But we need specifics. What exactly does your workout look like now, day to day? What does your daily diet look like? How much sleep are you getting? Your age? Weight? Goals? etc.

deanna7272
01-14-11, 8:08 pm
Your body needs to rest, it's plain and simple, but I understand, I was the same way when I first started training. I didn't want to be anywhere else, but the gym. Hell, I even changed my major that way I could be more active and had a reason to stay in the gym...lol

I hear of (and see) people spending hours upon hours at the gym, but here's the one thing I have noticed, they AREN'T making the gains they should, or that they expect. Yes, at first, of course, you are going to see "something" but eventually you stall your progress by overtaxing the muscle without time to repair (growth). I am not saying that taxing the muscle won't cause growth, but day after day, hour after hour, is TOO much. If you feel that you have lagging body part, or want to give a body part an extra boost, then maybe throw an exercise or two in on a 2nd day through the week. Your muscles NEED recovery time...

Not sure of your stats, or your split, but maybe if you wrote everything out, took a look at it, you may see some overlap and be able to train without being there forever and a day. You're still going to have to train hard, but you also have to train SMART...

Icarus
01-14-11, 8:15 pm
I workout virtually every day other then Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday. I follow Training split #11 from the training section and my workouts last about an hour and a half to two hours depending on what im working on. Im 18 years old, six foot and abut 175 pounds pretty cut, and im mainly looking to just add mass and lots of it. I eat large meals (Potatoes, Tilapia, Egg Whites, Brown Rice, etc..) about 6 - 8 times daily and try getting in a mass gainer shake in between 3 meals. I get about 8 hours sleep every night or at least try too.
Thanks.

BarbellManiac
01-15-11, 10:45 am
Training- Breaking Down Muscle
Food- Nutrients for Muscle
Sleep- Re-building Muscle through nutrients.

Now, the last 2 (sleeping and food) is something you can never get too much if your looking for mass. Number 1 though is something you have to limit. You shouldn't take over an hour to train at all.

"If you're that guy who wants to be the most hardcore guy in the world and constantly beats the living shit out of himself with his training, you too will just be mediocre. You need the brains to define exactly what the edge is and where the edge is."

Quote from Evan's Article "The Edge" Read it, it's a pretty interesting read.
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&id=452

Icarus
01-15-11, 11:45 am
Okay that makes sense and ill be sure to limit my time and read up on that article. Thanks to everyone who posted, very helpful.

zubda345
01-15-11, 12:21 pm
It's still the case with me as with U... It's been some time since I am lifting but the Madness of Workout doesn't go away... But Someone wrote "Take off days when U DO NOT WANT TO..." It has a whole philosophy behind it..

Training- Breaking Down Muscle
Food- Nutrients for Muscle
Sleep- Re-building Muscle through nutrients.

Now, the last 2 (sleeping and food) is something you can never get too much if your looking for mass. Number 1 though is something you have to limit. You shouldn't take over an hour to train at all.

"If you're that guy who wants to be the most hardcore guy in the world and constantly beats the living shit out of himself with his training, you too will just be mediocre. You need the brains to define exactly what the edge is and where the edge is."

Quote from Evan's Article "The Edge" Read it, it's a pretty interesting read.
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&id=452

Maniac said it right... Article is what I am also gonna read...

Carrnage
01-15-11, 5:11 pm
To avoid overtraining, and make constant progress

1) train hard for 30-40 mins.....stop chatting, stop taking long ass rest periods, shrot rest periods will help gh/test rise aswell! push it!

2) eat 4-6 well balanced meal a day

3) protein should be 1-1.5g of lean body mass

4) to really avoid overtraining, up your carbs to 3x of lean body mass

5) train with compound movements only, nothing lower than 6 reps on a set

6) drink a bcaa,creatine,glutamine, simple sugar/ or vitargo drink during the middle and after your workout, drinking it during your workout will keep you anabolic and you can do more sets without worrying about overtraining

7) take a rest day after free weight deadlifts and squats

8) if you do drop sets to complete muscular failure, take a rest day after that workout

9) SLEEP 6-8 hours!!!!! (i only sleeo around 3-5 hours and still make great progress, i thank the lord for that! but i know i can gain so much more if i slept more! sleep you baby!)

10) dont stress! stress is killer!

11) fuck the living shit out of your girlfriend atleast 1x a week! (this is optional, but it really shouldnt be ahhaahaha!!)

Thank you very much

Icarus
01-15-11, 7:22 pm

1) train hard for 30-40 mins.....stop chatting, stop taking long ass rest periods, shrot rest periods will help gh/test rise aswell! push it!

6) drink a bcaa,creatine,glutamine, simple sugar/ or vitargo drink during the middle and after your workout, drinking it during your workout will keep you anabolic and you can do more sets without worrying about overtraining

8) if you do drop sets to complete muscular failure, take a rest day after that workout

9) SLEEP 6-8 hours!!!!! (i only sleeo around 3-5 hours and still make great progress, i thank the lord for that! but i know i can gain so much more if i slept more! sleep you baby!)

11) fuck the living shit out of your girlfriend atleast 1x a week! (this is optional, but it really shouldnt be ahhaahaha!!)

Thank you very much

This my friend is just.....beautiful. You are a gentleman and a scholar! I will follow this to a t. Go with Christ .

Oh and may your first child, be a masculine child.

Carrnage
01-15-11, 9:56 pm
This my friend is just.....beautiful. You are a gentleman and a scholar! I will follow this to a t. Go with Christ .

Oh and may your first child, be a masculine child.

Amen brother! Thats why im here, any questions? Feel free to ask!!

thanks!

Machine
01-16-11, 11:21 am
Growing is done at the dining table...not in the gym...miss a workout before a meal and never miss a meal...period.

One can occupy space in the weightroom infinately...please understand that in and of itself...occupying space in the gymnasium day in and day out is not the optimal recipe for success.

Work hard...work smart...be consistent in your nutrition and your training...the rest is gravy.

MACHINE

zubda345
01-16-11, 3:11 pm
Growing is done at the dining table...not in the gym...miss a workout before a meal and never miss a meal...period.

One can occupy space in the weightroom infinately...please understand that in and of itself...occupying space in the gymnasium day in and day out is not the optimal recipe for success.

Work hard...work smart...be consistent in your nutrition and your training...the rest is gravy.

MACHINE

100 and 10 percent agreed...

Thank you very much

AHAHAHAHAAH!! How come everyone has or had (at-least once) a Girlfriend and I don't!! Shit man... I wish I had a girlfriend, NOT only to fuck the living shit of her (but that is what I would want to do every now and then.. :P)