PDA

View Full Version : Thicker Chest

Lifting_Is_Life
01-18-11, 8:48 pm
Yo guys, I am pretty new to serious lifting, used to do it off and on but now work my ass off in the gym and kitchen. Only one problem so far...I am growing very rapidly but have a problem with my chest. It's getting good shape but not really gaining a good thickness, should I not do flyes as much or just keep my nose to the grind? I'm only 6 months into serious lifting. I do cable crossovers, incline cable and db fly. Thanks for the advice in advance guys.

Lifting_Is_Life

Sinister_TES
01-18-11, 10:54 pm
Yo guys, I am pretty new to serious lifting, used to do it off and on but now work my ass off in the gym and kitchen. Only one problem so far...I am growing very rapidly but have a problem with my chest. It's getting good shape but not really gaining a good thickness, should I not do flyes as much or just keep my nose to the grind? I'm only 6 months into serious lifting. I do cable crossovers, incline cable and db fly. Thanks for the advice in advance guys.

Lifting_Is_Life

Where are your presses?

Carrnage
01-19-11, 12:20 am

Lifting_Is_Life

6 months only!?!? This is where so many new lifters make a mistake in not being patient, wait till 5 years then complain, but luckily within 5 years you hope to have a thick chest right? You have come to the right place and the right person! (me)

Whats your typical chest routine? Whats your knowledge about the negative portion of the lift, static holds, drop sets, or any other methods you know of? Do you press with your chest?

Bingo! Do you press with your chest is the biggest thing 99 percent of the world does wrong!!! People typically bench with their whole body with as much weight as possible focusing on "progressive lifts bullshit", yes over time you want to get stronger but not every freakin workout! Adding a few more pounds every workout (like many do) end up hurting themselves, because in the first place they dont even know how to "press with their chest".....

Obviously if you press with your chest youl still use your shoulders,lats,triceps to a certain degree....but here follow these steps....these tips will be the best tips you will get in your life...im fucking serious...

1)arched back!

2)stick your motha fuckin rib cage allll out the way!!!

3)bring the bar down slowly, a 2 to 3 whole seconds!!!! yes whole seconds!!! this negative portion of the lift is the portion of the lift that will make you grow the most muscle!!

4)without locking your elbows out, squeeze your pecs, on the top of the movement try bring in your elbows, but obviously you cant! but if you try, naturally your chest will come in instead of your elbows!!

5)stop doing cable crossovers,pec deck,dumbbell flys, isolation movements can be used, but if your looking for raw mass, stick the movements that create the most testosterone, growth hormone production which is crucial for muscle growth, even though the hormone increase isnt a whole lot, you can look at it like this....squats increase test/gh by a good amount....verses....leg extensions barely even releases anything.....so the movements like squats,free weight presses,dips,chins,rows,cleans,deadlifts will make every single muscle in your body thicken up

So here, since im feeling good today, try this workout, it always packs on mass for my clients

Chest- (warm up with light pressing 2x50) (remember to use the form i told you about)

Flat Barbell Press 3-4 warm up sets then 1 set to absolute muscular failure +forced reps from spotter

30 Degree (low incline) Dumbbell Press 1 warm up set then 1 set to failure, rest for 15 sec, go for another set to failure, rest for another 15 sec, go for another set to muscular failure (use a spotter) (press with your chest)

Chest Dips 1 all out set to muscular failure

Yeah nothing fancy, just some fucking itensity using flawless form, oh and dont worry about how much weight you can use, who cares? If you do then you should consider yourself weak-minded (please take that as motivation!).

Good Luck (feel free to pm me about anything!)

Lifting_Is_Life
01-19-11, 12:46 am
Well I wanted to get a good workout in so I have been trying one of the training routines-

Start off with bench- 115x10 reps or so for a warmup set after pushups
Then go to 3 more sets of 135 for failure. Final set I do 2 forced negatives.
Move onto 4 sets of cable crossovers. 15 lbs-20 lbs.
Incline bench 4 sets- 1 set of 95x12. Then 3 sets of 115 to failure. Forced negatives again.
3 sets incline db fly- 35, 40, 45
3 sets incline cable fly- unsure weight, I do what feels right.
Finish with 4 sets of dips to failure.

After reading up on all the great articles here I really
Emphasize on the negative portion of my lift. Going around 4 negative secs and exploding on positives.

Jay
01-19-11, 3:52 am
There is some great information posted here that will guide you in the right direction. Regarding flies. You can do em. I would not start out with them, as you need that energy for pressing movements. You could use flies, like I do, as a finishing movement to your chest workout.

Lifting_Is_Life
01-19-11, 10:34 am
1)arched back!

I thought you wanted to keep your back on the bench, but really squeeze and or attempt to tighten your traps; as if you are up on your traps while benching but staying flat on the bench? Just what i always thought, thanks for all the great advice

Carrnage
01-19-11, 3:41 pm
I thought you wanted to keep your back on the bench, but really squeeze and or attempt to tighten your traps; as if you are up on your traps while benching but staying flat on the bench? Just what i always thought, thanks for all the great advice

Yes arch your back! and really the number one advice i can give to you is....DONT WORRY ABOUT HOW MUCH WEIGHT IS ON THE BAR!

Sinister_TES
01-19-11, 5:24 pm
6 months only!?!? This is where so many new lifters make a mistake in not being patient, wait till 5 years then complain, but luckily within 5 years you hope to have a thick chest right? You have come to the right place and the right person! (me)

Whats your typical chest routine? Whats your knowledge about the negative portion of the lift, static holds, drop sets, or any other methods you know of? Do you press with your chest?

Bingo! Do you press with your chest is the biggest thing 99 percent of the world does wrong!!! People typically bench with their whole body with as much weight as possible focusing on "progressive lifts bullshit", yes over time you want to get stronger but not every freakin workout! Adding a few more pounds every workout (like many do) end up hurting themselves, because in the first place they dont even know how to "press with their chest".....

Obviously if you press with your chest youl still use your shoulders,lats,triceps to a certain degree....but here follow these steps....these tips will be the best tips you will get in your life...im fucking serious...

1)arched back!

2)stick your motha fuckin rib cage allll out the way!!!

3)bring the bar down slowly, a 2 to 3 whole seconds!!!! yes whole seconds!!! this negative portion of the lift is the portion of the lift that will make you grow the most muscle!!

4)without locking your elbows out, squeeze your pecs, on the top of the movement try bring in your elbows, but obviously you cant! but if you try, naturally your chest will come in instead of your elbows!!

5)stop doing cable crossovers,pec deck,dumbbell flys, isolation movements can be used, but if your looking for raw mass, stick the movements that create the most testosterone, growth hormone production which is crucial for muscle growth, even though the hormone increase isnt a whole lot, you can look at it like this....squats increase test/gh by a good amount....verses....leg extensions barely even releases anything.....so the movements like squats,free weight presses,dips,chins,rows,cleans,deadlifts will make every single muscle in your body thicken up

So here, since im feeling good today, try this workout, it always packs on mass for my clients

Chest- (warm up with light pressing 2x50) (remember to use the form i told you about)

Flat Barbell Press 3-4 warm up sets then 1 set to absolute muscular failure +forced reps from spotter

30 Degree (low incline) Dumbbell Press 1 warm up set then 1 set to failure, rest for 15 sec, go for another set to failure, rest for another 15 sec, go for another set to muscular failure (use a spotter) (press with your chest)

Chest Dips 1 all out set to muscular failure

Yeah nothing fancy, just some fucking itensity using flawless form, oh and dont worry about how much weight you can use, who cares? If you do then you should consider yourself weak-minded (please take that as motivation!).

Good Luck (feel free to pm me about anything!)

I dont want to argue or anything, becuase Ive seen a few of your posts on here and have respect for you;However, for some people progressive resistance works the best. I've come to find that workouts that entail beating the logbook, so to speak, produce the best results for me. An example is A man benching 225 for 10 works up to 315 for 10. Provided he eats enough, he will have a biiger chest, can we agree. That being said using improper form and piling as much weight on is not the way to do this. A bodybuilder concentrates on the target muscles, while a powerlifter uses as much muscle as possible to move the weight from point A to point B. As for the form listed above I agree with that. I second the idea of dropping all of those "shaping movements". they dont build much mass and just use your glycogen stores and inhibit recovery ability. Most importantley eat. No body gets a huge chest without putting on some pounds.

Carrnage
01-19-11, 5:52 pm
I dont want to argue or anything, becuase Ive seen a few of your posts on here and have respect for you;However, for some people progressive resistance works the best. I've come to find that workouts that entail beating the logbook, so to speak, produce the best results for me. An example is A man benching 225 for 10 works up to 315 for 10. Provided he eats enough, he will have a biiger chest, can we agree. That being said using improper form and piling as much weight on is not the way to do this. A bodybuilder concentrates on the target muscles, while a powerlifter uses as much muscle as possible to move the weight from point A to point B. As for the form listed above I agree with that. I second the idea of dropping all of those "shaping movements". they dont build much mass and just use your glycogen stores and inhibit recovery ability. Most importantley eat. No body gets a huge chest without putting on some pounds.

I agree with ya on everything, but you misread what i said about "progressive lfiting", i totally agree, working from 225 for 10 to 315 for 10, youl have a massive chest....but people just look at that instead of correcting their form and utilizing their chest, yeah its a compound movement, your gonna be using multiple muslce groups no matter what, but if you learned how to use mainly your chest on pressing movements, skys the limit, anything is possible! And yes i forgot to state about the importance of eating, want me to help him with that or you? Your call.

Sinister_TES
01-19-11, 8:35 pm
I agree with ya on everything, but you misread what i said about "progressive lfiting", i totally agree, working from 225 for 10 to 315 for 10, youl have a massive chest....but people just look at that instead of correcting their form and utilizing their chest, yeah its a compound movement, your gonna be using multiple muslce groups no matter what, but if you learned how to use mainly your chest on pressing movements, skys the limit, anything is possible! And yes i forgot to state about the importance of eating, want me to help him with that or you? Your call.

Ya I used to be that way because we all know bench is the most important lift haha (sarcasm) But once I revised my form and began to concentrate on "pec pressing" my chest exploded. As for the eating part your probably more experianced so ill let you take the wheel on this one. If hes only been lifting six months my guess is hes still relativley small and would be good to just take in massive calories from 6 meals of milk, eggs, meats (steak, gr beef, chicken), carbs(sweet potatoes, oatmeal, granola, whole wheat breads), fruits and VEGGIES!

Carrnage
01-19-11, 10:21 pm
Ya I used to be that way because we all know bench is the most important lift haha (sarcasm) But once I revised my form and began to concentrate on "pec pressing" my chest exploded. As for the eating part your probably more experianced so ill let you take the wheel on this one. If hes only been lifting six months my guess is hes still relativley small and would be good to just take in massive calories from 6 meals of milk, eggs, meats (steak, gr beef, chicken), carbs(sweet potatoes, oatmeal, granola, whole wheat breads), fruits and VEGGIES!

Hell yeah same here! Once I learned how to press with my pecs the size and strength would just raise up weekly! Obviously I had to go alot lighter, but to my pecs, it felt like a ton. Using 500 for reps weekly wasnt getting me no where, once i went back to 275-315 and learning my form, i can use 365-455 while stretching and contracting my pecs on every single rep. And for the nutrition, bingo! You nailed it, i hope he takes notes. Most beginners/youngsters dont believe in nutrition mainly because they think theres some "secret" or "short cut", wrong! There isnt!

Sinister_TES
01-19-11, 10:35 pm
Hell yeah same here! Once I learned how to press with my pecs the size and strength would just raise up weekly! Obviously I had to go alot lighter, but to my pecs, it felt like a ton. Using 500 for reps weekly wasnt getting me no where, once i went back to 275-315 and learning my form, i can use 365-455 while stretching and contracting my pecs on every single rep. And for the nutrition, bingo! You nailed it, i hope he takes notes. Most beginners/youngsters dont believe in nutrition mainly because they think theres some "secret" or "short cut", wrong! There isnt!

Well Im no where near your level of strength haha, but i can actually bench more using my new form then I could with my old. Being a very shoulder and tricep dominate person it took alot of tweaking to get it right, but now when I press it feels like Im doing a side chest pose with both pecs haha. just another addition to the nutrition dont be to worried about counting cals at this point. last summer I ate like I described above, about 10 eggs a day, 4l of milk, couple pounds of beef and thats what took me from 200-220 in about 5 weeks. and sure I got some fat but my strength levels shot through the roof, gained an inch on my arms, size all over, had to buy all new shirts. it was the first time I started feeling big haha

Lifting_Is_Life
01-19-11, 11:06 pm
Thanks for that advice guys. I got chest tomorrow so i'll check out your routine carnage.
As for the weight on the bar...the best advice i got the moment i found this website(and very glad i found it so young) was to drop my ego. So many people my age go around school claiming they bench this, or he squats this. Its sad to say none of them; or the ones i have worked out with, did it with decent form and made fun of me for my weight i had on. Since i found a good technique(obviously still needs tweaking since i just started) i have made better gains then people i've known to lift for years. When i took up bodybuilding seriously and wanted to reach with it, i knew that nutrition was gonna be hard since i was always "fond" of food lol but i dropped almost all junk food and ate loads of carbs/protein and got my small amounts of fats. Just being only 17, it's hard to find the times to eat properly with school, part-time jobs, and just everything that people have to do at this age. Any suggestions on foods to snack on if i can't get the time to make a chicken breast or something, i always usually pack a few turkey sandwiches and pretzels(from what i found are actually really good if you get the low sodium brand) but i know thats not giving me sufficient amounts of carbs/protein i need.

*One more question*
The one thing i don't understand is how to get 1.5 grams of protein pre bw minus bodyfat%. i weigh 180 and have about 10% body fat so i would need like 240 grams of protein..eating a ton for me barely got me above 150 grams of protein. So my question is how important is it to get that 1.5-2 grams of protein per bw and what could be a sample diet to suffice a protein intake that high(if you don't mind)

Carrnage
01-20-11, 1:07 am
Thanks for that advice guys. I got chest tomorrow so i'll check out your routine carnage.
As for the weight on the bar...the best advice i got the moment i found this website(and very glad i found it so young) was to drop my ego. So many people my age go around school claiming they bench this, or he squats this. Its sad to say none of them; or the ones i have worked out with, did it with decent form and made fun of me for my weight i had on. Since i found a good technique(obviously still needs tweaking since i just started) i have made better gains then people i've known to lift for years. When i took up bodybuilding seriously and wanted to reach with it, i knew that nutrition was gonna be hard since i was always "fond" of food lol but i dropped almost all junk food and ate loads of carbs/protein and got my small amounts of fats. Just being only 17, it's hard to find the times to eat properly with school, part-time jobs, and just everything that people have to do at this age. Any suggestions on foods to snack on if i can't get the time to make a chicken breast or something, i always usually pack a few turkey sandwiches and pretzels(from what i found are actually really good if you get the low sodium brand) but i know thats not giving me sufficient amounts of carbs/protein i need.

*One more question*
The one thing i don't understand is how to get 1.5 grams of protein pre bw minus bodyfat%. i weigh 180 and have about 10% body fat so i would need like 240 grams of protein..eating a ton for me barely got me above 150 grams of protein. So my question is how important is it to get that 1.5-2 grams of protein per bw and what could be a sample diet to suffice a protein intake that high(if you don't mind)

At your age heres the HONEST TRUTH....

Dont worry too much about all the fancy details like 1.5 grams of protein per bw, and so on....just stick to 1 gram of protein per lean body mass coming from dairy,red meat sources ONLY!! Like milk,eggs,cottage cheese,steak, and so on....those sources contrain a good amount of Leucine, which is a branch chained amino acid, Leucine will keep your body building muscle, you can keep 10 pounds of chicken and fish a day and not gain a single pound of muscle mainly because they are too lean and dont contain as much "great" sources of aminos in them. So keep it basic, dairy,red meats, become a beast.

Need a sample meal plan? Follow this, nothing too strict, basic, fun.

Meal 1
5 whole eggs (put some ketchup or whatever on it)
1 slice of cheese
1 fruit
1 cup of white rice
1/2 serving of nuts

Meal 2 (you still go to school right? So im assuming this is lunch time?)
Eat what ever you want, dont stress, just dont eat the whole fridge...lol. (live life the right way, not as a bodybuilder at your age, please preach that advice)

Meal 3
3 whole eggs
2 servings of milk
1 cup white rice (i like white rice due to it non bloating and it digest at a medium pace, so all the nutrients will be prop[erly digested) (if you stick to brown rice / oatmeal all the time youl just slow up digestion / bloat up and so good bye to those proteins being utilized as muscle growth)
1 fruit

Meal 4 (Dinner)
Go ahead and have what ever you want, just dont over do it, but if you can try buying some red meat, like steak! Oh steak is so magical! haha
And a small green salad

Meal 5 (before bed, 2-4 hours before)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 serving of nuts

Dont worry about supplementation, if you wanna add some thing id invest into a good creatine/glutamine/bcaa product.....multivitamins are virtually useless and most dont digest right, and taking pre workout drinks over time will screw up your adrenal glands (which is something people arnt aware of yet...).

Oh and another thing....Have Fun!

Lifting_Is_Life
01-20-11, 7:58 am
At your age heres the HONEST TRUTH....

Dont worry too much about all the fancy details like 1.5 grams of protein per bw, and so on....just stick to 1 gram of protein per lean body mass coming from dairy,red meat sources ONLY!! Like milk,eggs,cottage cheese,steak, and so on....those sources contrain a good amount of Leucine, which is a branch chained amino acid, Leucine will keep your body building muscle, you can keep 10 pounds of chicken and fish a day and not gain a single pound of muscle mainly because they are too lean and dont contain as much "great" sources of aminos in them. So keep it basic, dairy,red meats, become a beast.

Need a sample meal plan? Follow this, nothing too strict, basic, fun.

Meal 1
5 whole eggs (put some ketchup or whatever on it)
1 slice of cheese
1 fruit
1 cup of white rice
1/2 serving of nuts

Meal 2 (you still go to school right? So im assuming this is lunch time?)
Eat what ever you want, dont stress, just dont eat the whole fridge...lol. (live life the right way, not as a bodybuilder at your age, please preach that advice)

Meal 3
3 whole eggs
2 servings of milk
1 cup white rice (i like white rice due to it non bloating and it digest at a medium pace, so all the nutrients will be prop[erly digested) (if you stick to brown rice / oatmeal all the time youl just slow up digestion / bloat up and so good bye to those proteins being utilized as muscle growth)
1 fruit

Meal 4 (Dinner)
Go ahead and have what ever you want, just dont over do it, but if you can try buying some red meat, like steak! Oh steak is so magical! haha
And a small green salad

Meal 5 (before bed, 2-4 hours before)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 serving of nuts

Dont worry about supplementation, if you wanna add some thing id invest into a good creatine/glutamine/bcaa product.....multivitamins are virtually useless and most dont digest right, and taking pre workout drinks over time will screw up your adrenal glands (which is something people arnt aware of yet...).

Oh and another thing....Have Fun!

Thanks for all the help man; i really appreciate it.

Lifting_Is_Life