PDA

View Full Version : Listen to your body, or keep going?

dandrea101a
02-02-11, 3:13 pm
I haven't gotten to take a week off from lifting in say, 3 months. I know its healthy to get a good week off every now and then, and now i've got a small problem. Im 7 days out from finishing a Stak cycle and my body is 100% telling me I need a break. Exhausted all the time, half assed workouts, etc. I know once you start a cycle of stak you can't stop, then finish it later. Advice?

dannynb
02-02-11, 3:18 pm
I haven't gotten to take a week off from lifting in say, 3 months. I know its healthy to get a good week off every now and then, and now i've got a small problem. Im 7 days out from finishing a Stak cycle and my body is 100% telling me I need a break. Exhausted all the time, half assed workouts, etc. I know once you start a cycle of stak you can't stop, then finish it later. Advice?

Let me ask you...is it really your body telling you you need a break or is it a mental thing? Either way a break might be just what you need, but if it's mental finish the week...if it's physically your body needing a rest than I say give it what it needs.

dandrea101a
02-02-11, 3:28 pm
Let me ask you...is it really your body telling you you need a break or is it a mental thing? Either way a break might be just what you need, but if it's mental finish the week...if it's physically your body needing a rest than I say give it what it needs.

I get to the gym regardless, im not mentally weak, i go when im sick, under the weather, always. I do a 6 day split and im soo fuckin' shot. Haven't been so physically exhausted before but I don't know if i should push through it and finish the stak cycle, or listen to my body? Cause I dont know what im gonna do with these 6 or 7 stak packs if i do take a break. Ha.

dannynb
02-02-11, 3:32 pm
I get to the gym regardless, im not mentally weak, i go when im sick, under the weather, always. I do a 6 day split and im soo fuckin' shot. Haven't been so physically exhausted before but I don't know if i should push through it and finish the stak cycle, or listen to my body? Cause I dont know what im gonna do with these 6 or 7 stak packs if i do take a break. Ha.

Sorry, wasn't saying you're mentally weak...sometimes it's a mental burnout is all, especially when giving it all ya got for so long. I say take the time off and let your body rest....finish the Stack even though your resting, it can help you recover....

dandrea101a
02-02-11, 5:47 pm
Sorry, wasn't saying you're mentally weak...sometimes it's a mental burnout is all, especially when giving it all ya got for so long. I say take the time off and let your body rest....finish the Stack even though your resting, it can help you recover....

haha my bad I know you weren't i was just sayin, but thanks that's probably what i'm gonna have to do.

MrMonday
02-02-11, 5:58 pm
Are you gaining bodyweight?

If not, you need to look at your diet before considering overtraining as the source of your run-down feelings. You may simply not be eating enough to recover from session to session.

If that isn't the case, and you're gaining a significant amount of bodyweight each month, then I think most here would suggest taking a couple days off... but an entire week seems unnecessary.

dandrea101a
02-02-11, 7:11 pm
Are you gaining bodyweight?

If not, you need to look at your diet before considering overtraining as the source of your run-down feelings. You may simply not be eating enough to recover from session to session.

If that isn't the case, and you're gaining a significant amount of bodyweight each month, then I think most here would suggest taking a couple days off... but an entire week seems unnecessary.

I gained 12 pounds in January. I eat 5-6 times a day, i think i'm just going to take off the rest of the week, not an entire week.

shizz702
02-02-11, 8:07 pm
Just listen to your body, simple.

There's a difference between being a pussy and training smart. You can't blast forever, you got to cruise sometimes too.

xman
02-04-11, 5:01 pm
I started wen i was. 15. I lifted every day thought the more the better. Even after i got exhausted frrom going too much..... i still kept going and puhhing my body thinking it was hardcore. Now i have so many joint and tendon problems its not evem funny. Rest and diet is key. There's pushing urself , and then pushing urself too far... take some time off eat rest tiill u feel pumped again.

Phil800101
02-04-11, 6:16 pm
I generally agree with what has been said. Always listen to your body. Sometimes a few days or a week off can be more beneficial than training when you need a break. Training when you need a break is like driving a car when the oil is past due for a change...sure it will drive, but it will run shitty, and you can damage the engine.

As I have become so fond of saying, there is that fine line between being a hard ass and being a dumbass, lol.

Carrnage
02-04-11, 7:46 pm

Do this

For this upcoming week train just 3 days, hit the whole body like this

monday- back,biceps (bent rows,one arm rows,pulldowns,deads,incline curls, hammer curls, done!)
Wednesday- chest,delts,triceps (flat,incline presses,mil presses,laterals,dips,pushdowns,done!)
Friday- legs (leg press,squats,leg curls,calf presses,done!)

Or just train 2 days this week and do a full body workout, but im sure your more hardcore than that lol

or....( i recommend this one)

Train 1 day this upcoming week, full body blast, then the following week or two, just rest, remember you grow when you put shit down your throat and when you close your eyes for 8 hours. Period.

Oh and p.s. your CNS is overtrained, you kinda just screwed up your cycle i doubt youl get great gains now, sorry man! (but who knows maybe you are getting results? if so awesome bro!! im proud of ya!)

MELTDOWN
02-10-11, 8:09 pm

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS listen to your body.
Now read this..

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=518

then rethink the thinking.
I totally understand where you're coming from.... worn out, beat to crap, no energy, might as well not have even shown up at the gym today.
When I step away for ?? days and DO NOTHING in the gym, yeah it drives me thru the roof. I feel I'm wasting time, loosing days to grow and build more muscle. Training is such a part of what we do to the point that we go into DT's without it.
But tons of guys will atest that after a break, you grow even more... so Shut 'er down and take a break.
Oh yeah, checked the handbook and there is no written rule says you HAVE to finish a complete can of Stak, jug of Storm or all the toothpaste.

Carry On !!!

Supreme
02-11-11, 3:04 pm
Take the time off bro.

jeff00z28
02-12-11, 10:37 am
i don't like the idea of training 6 days w/o sauce. ud prolly get the same results from 3-4 days

zubda345
02-12-11, 4:48 pm

Look man..... SAME SAME SAME was the case with me, it's been only 2 or so years since I was liftin I was 16 back then... And still I manytimes DONT want to take a day off but Day off is what's gonna recover ur body not days on.... Trust me there guys are all correct I used to argue with them, with shizz, with Pro wrestler, with many many more including some of the pros. There are many many articles I started here on the forum in which I have argued ppl.. But When I started taking days off it's goin better than ever... Now sometimes I also take 2 rest days.... I am on a pull push routine right now, that is one day on one day off... I personally didn't liked this when I saw this cause of the rest days, But now I think it's great sometimes I think that I should get back on my old routine and train like I used to long ass training with only 1 off day in a week, but Then I think all take rest days pros say to have rest days there must b a STONE SOLID reason behind this... (I don't mean to say u change ur routine) Take off days and when u'll come back u'll blast up then ur previous max lifts and will see good growth in your muscles in less time...

I generally agree with what has been said. Always listen to your body. Sometimes a few days or a week off can be more beneficial than training when you need a break. Training when you need a break is like driving a car when the oil is past due for a change...sure it will drive, but it will run shitty, and you can damage the engine.

As I have become so fond of saying, there is that fine line between being a hard ass and being a dumbass, lol.

Do this

For this upcoming week train just 3 days, hit the whole body like this

monday- back,biceps (bent rows,one arm rows,pulldowns,deads,incline curls, hammer curls, done!)
Wednesday- chest,delts,triceps (flat,incline presses,mil presses,laterals,dips,pushdowns,done!)
Friday- legs (leg press,squats,leg curls,calf presses,done!)

Or just train 2 days this week and do a full body workout, but im sure your more hardcore than that lol

or....( i recommend this one)

Train 1 day this upcoming week, full body blast, then the following week or two, just rest, remember you grow when you put shit down your throat and when you close your eyes for 8 hours. Period.

Oh and p.s. your CNS is overtrained, you kinda just screwed up your cycle i doubt youl get great gains now, sorry man! (but who knows maybe you are getting results? if so awesome bro!! im proud of ya!)

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS listen to your body.
Now read this..

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=518

then rethink the thinking.
I totally understand where you're coming from.... worn out, beat to crap, no energy, might as well not have even shown up at the gym today.
When I step away for ?? days and DO NOTHING in the gym, yeah it drives me thru the roof. I feel I'm wasting time, loosing days to grow and build more muscle. Training is such a part of what we do to the point that we go into DT's without it.
But tons of guys will atest that after a break, you grow even more... so Shut 'er down and take a break.
Oh yeah, checked the handbook and there is no written rule says you HAVE to finish a complete can of Stak, jug of Storm or all the toothpaste.

Carry On !!!

Just listen to your body, simple.

There's a difference between being a pussy and training smart. You can't blast forever, you got to cruise sometimes too.

All of there comments, they have a sold reasoning behind them, My legs are still sore after I did my squats on friday and today's sunday... Take some rest.... And trust me U'll come back with a new energy in u....

Best of luck.