PDA

View Full Version : What am I to do?

g_mau18
02-06-11, 12:11 am
After a couple of years of serious bodybuilding and experimentation, It has occured to me that my severe acne is directly linked to the amount of food that I eat. I tried many different types of foods, went so far as to becoming a vegetarian but that made no difference. Gradually I noticed my acne getting better the less I ate, eventually it went away as I was cutting. I am now as cut as I would like to be so I started increasing my calories...Boom! Acne everywhere. How the hell am I supposed to gain muscle mass and size without excess calories!? I know this situation may sound petty and insignificant to you all but my skin seriously affects my self esteem and confidence when it is acting up. I dont want to give up bodybuilding, it is central to my daily happiness and self worth. As a note, I am eating 100% clean, hell I have been for a while in hopes of my skin clearing. I guess this decision is mine to make alone, I feel like im shrinking but my skin is really good right now. I guess Im just ranting and raving but if any of you wanna chime in, feel free.

deanna7272
02-06-11, 12:31 am
I have always been told that foods do not cause acne. I started having issues with adult acne at the age of 26. After seeing a dermatologist I have found that the acne I am dealing with is hormonal. This may be the issue with you also, certain foods may trigger hormonal changes, but NOT the acne per se.

This may help...

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/faq.html#1

g_mau18
02-06-11, 12:37 am
Thanks for your concern deanna, I have also heard that from dermatologists since I was 14. However, with as much trial and error as I have done I am convinced that excess calories are the cause of my acne. Just torn between which one to pick, good skin or more size.

Jay
02-06-11, 4:16 am
Could it be the supp's your taking? I ask cuz certain supps ( pre universal usage) would do that to me.

g_mau18
02-06-11, 4:21 am
No supps, except animal pump preworkout, I figured protein shakes could be a possible culprit so I eliminated those. When I was bulking I took lots of real gains, thats when my acne was at its all time worst. It cant be the pump because when I eat less, I still take pump and my skin clears.

Jay
02-06-11, 4:23 am
I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. And keep us updated. I'd be curious to know the cause, as I've never heard of acne-calorie related.

C.Coronato
02-09-11, 10:41 am
What is your diet looking like now my man?

g_mau18
02-10-11, 7:24 am
Meal 1: 6 eggs scrambled, 1 medium sized bowl oatmeal
Meal 2: two cans tuna
Meal 3: 1 chicken breast with either a cup of rice or a baked potatoe and a salad
Meal 4: two cans tuna
Meal 5: 1 chicken breast with either a cup of rice or a baked potatoe and a salad
Meal 6: two cans tuna

1 gallon of water a day, random fruits, animal pump preworkout and a 100% organic multivitamin, Its a super clean diet!! What the hell?! I want to bulk again but I fear my skin will worsen.

stumblin54
02-10-11, 9:13 am
Go to the dermatologist again and get an acne medication, then bulk.

Stumblin

g_mau18
02-10-11, 9:27 am
haha, I wish it were that easy, Ive been on every acne medication there is since I was 14.

Rambo, John J.
02-10-11, 10:10 am
Hey man, I am not 100% certain on this, but I found this on acne.org

Q: Will lifting weights make me break out? What about my protein shake?
A: There is no research on this topic, but I have a theory. First, I don't think lifting weights makes you break out. In fact, exercise keeps the body in top shape and helps the mind deal with stress. I think the benefits of weight training far outweigh the risks. I lift weights a couple of times a week and am able to stay clear. However, if someone goes on a weight gaining diet along with their weight training, and he/she suddenly adds excess calories to his/her diet, the excess caloric intake can increase testosterone levels in the body. Theoretically increased testosterone levels can aggravate acne. So if you find yourself breaking out during or after a "bulking" cycle, this may be the cause.

I also found this on livestrong.com

Monounsaturated fats and lipids are healthy fats that help boost testosterone levels. Eating a diet low in fat can actually decrease levels of testosterone. Increasing monounsaturated and omega-3 fatty intake from foods like nuts, peanut butter, tuna and olives can naturally stimulate testosterone production within the body.

Like I said, I am not 100% sure if increased testosterone can actually cause acne, but testosterone is a hormone, and like Deanna replied, hormonal changes could be the culprit.

If that is the case, I guess it would be a personal decision like you mentioned, to either live with the acne and gain size, or not consume as many calories which will hopefully reduce your breakouts. Also when you go from a cut to a bulk, are you gradually increasing the calories? If not, the big influx at once could cause a hormonal spike I guess you could say which may cause it? Maybe don't eat a shit ton of calories, but maybe a few hundred over maintenance and maybe that will reduce the amount of acne.

Hope this helps.

R.

Appollonian
02-10-11, 1:21 pm
I would listen to the other solid advice, but ask yourself this: is there anything you eat when gaining you don't when maintaining or cutting back? Or do you eat a lot more of something at that time and moderate amounts when losing?

Maybe you are allergic to something you are eating; for me I have allergic reactions to certain chemicals that cause my legs to break out (certain laundry detergents) so that I have to wash my clothes with slightly less than the recomended amount and I'm OK. I know this is seemingly unrelated, but I would recommend you analyze your diet and see if you could get tested for food allergies/sensitivities.

Let us know if/when you figure this out.

g_mau18
02-10-11, 9:43 pm
Hey, thanks rambo for the research, It definetly confirms my theory. When I first started my bulk I went crazy and ate like 3,000 calories above maintenance, I put on some huge mass but I had horrible acne. I think maybe from now on I will do as you say and eat maybe just add one extra roast beef sandwich per day or something small like that so I slowly gain.

Apollonian, I already got tested for food allergies and Im not allergic to anything I eat. When I bulk I just double the amount of food I eat but its basically the same diet.

P Diesel
02-14-11, 4:05 pm
brotha,

i saw a few ppl contending that it may be due to increased testosterone, that was my first thought when u said u were eating clean. the bigger you get muscle wise the more testosterone ur body is going to produce, everyone handles this change differently. a sudden increase in food intake for you, leading to more intense training, resulting in more muscle mass would def create that excess hormone production.

how old are ya?

i have always found that showering after a workout and not gong the rest of the day before getting one, as well as exfoliating with either a washcloth or sum kidna srub brush on the problem areas (back chest face) really reduces the effects of any breakouts in addition to eating clean.

P Diesel

g_mau18
02-15-11, 11:33 am
Thanks for everyone's posts. I have been taking good care of my face since acne started way back in 10th grade. I am 22 now, the acne disappeared once I reached 20 or so and then when I became educated on bodybuilding and eating for mass I suddenly went from an insufficient diet to a diet super high in calories, sure I gained mass, but my skin got worse than ever. I am now eating way more balanced and just above maintenance so I can still gain weight very slowly and my skin is getting a lot better. I guess its for the best anyway, dont wanna put on garbage weight. Thanks again.