PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Issue

Sho
02-12-11, 12:49 pm
Seems like this happens every time I PR, I get injured or sick or something and need to take some time off and have to start back at the bottom again, always come back stronger than ever, but its still a huge pain in the ass... bad luck i suppose.

So one day, about a month ago I wake up and my back is stiff like you wouldn't believe, couldn't bend over without some significant lower back pain, had to raise my feet up to put my socks on for fucks sake and it didn't feel muscular either so I was fairly concerned. I attributed the problem to the way i was sleeping, but a couple nights of sleeping on my back (not on my stomach how i usually sleep) and I didn't feel any signs of improvements.

I also don't think it has to do anything with the way I have been training, I have been using heavier weights, but I'm a big advocate of proper form to reduce injury, this is why I'm so puzzed. I'm sure I'm gonna get a lot of responses telling me to see my doctor, but hes probably gonna tell me to take it easy since it doesn't appear to be really serious ie, i can still move around and maintain my daily routine without any hindrance.But that's exactly what I've been doing. Its just really pissing me off cuz I Just got my deadlift up to 500 and my squat to 365, and now i cant squat 225 for 5 reps without having to stop, not due to fatigue but because of my lower back.. anyways If anyone has had an issue similar to this any feedback would be great.

Cheers!

Altered Beast
02-12-11, 12:53 pm
My lower back builds up serious inflammation from time to time. It is part of the game. Go see a physical therapist for some serious massage therapy. You will need 2-4 sessions of about 30 minutes.

Personally, I just saw my therapist a few days ago to relieve the inflammation. Get it done!

If this does not work, acupuncture works absolute miracles. Go see an acupuncturist if the above does not work.

AKN
02-12-11, 12:53 pm
Your lower back shouldn't hurt after squats. If it does, you have tight hips and/or hamstrings.

Carrnage
02-12-11, 2:59 pm
Things that helped me with that issue is,

1) improve your posture
2) yoga exercises.....yes i said it, yoga....
3) stop lifting in the 3-5 rep range
4) therapy
5) do your deadlifts and squats every 3 weeks, those movements build and break you at the same time

Topher
02-13-11, 8:19 am
Seems like this happens every time I PR, I get injured or sick or something and need to take some time off and have to start back at the bottom again, always come back stronger than ever, but its still a huge pain in the ass... bad luck i suppose.

So one day, about a month ago I wake up and my back is stiff like you wouldn't believe, couldn't bend over without some significant lower back pain, had to raise my feet up to put my socks on for fucks sake and it didn't feel muscular either so I was fairly concerned. I attributed the problem to the way i was sleeping, but a couple nights of sleeping on my back (not on my stomach how i usually sleep) and I didn't feel any signs of improvements.

I also don't think it has to do anything with the way I have been training, I have been using heavier weights, but I'm a big advocate of proper form to reduce injury, this is why I'm so puzzed. I'm sure I'm gonna get a lot of responses telling me to see my doctor, but hes probably gonna tell me to take it easy since it doesn't appear to be really serious ie, i can still move around and maintain my daily routine without any hindrance.But that's exactly what I've been doing. Its just really pissing me off cuz I Just got my deadlift up to 500 and my squat to 365, and now i cant squat 225 for 5 reps without having to stop, not due to fatigue but because of my lower back.. anyways If anyone has had an issue similar to this any feedback would be great.

Cheers!

Man im in the same boat.I have some major back issues. I do the same thing while squatting, doc said to be sure to keep that core a tight as you can and to do back extensions before every wo. He said to do a couple sets to failure. Those light warmup sets will send the fluid to your disks in your spine. He told me that everyones brain reacted diff to situations to when to up the lubrication to your disks/joints. and that warm up will give you a jumpstart. Drink PLENTY of water and you might wanna dose up on your fish oil.

Carrnage givn some good info also YOGA isnt for just anybody but it really helped my back almost as much as the chiropractor.

You may already know this but, When your body sences a problem it will do its damndist to prevent any further damage. You stiffness is prob your muscles tightening up around a problem,slipped disc,herniated,pinched nerve ec... and that is your stiffness. As for me my muscles wont releast until I do something about it so I have a good chiropractor/message therapist. My father on the other hand can use muscle relaxers/flexareal, ice and a couple days its loosened up again.
i

GUNS
02-14-11, 11:27 am
Foam Roller! Plus all that everyone has posted. I am a post surgery lifter. Trust me the foam roller has helped greatly, both before, during and after each workout.

almosteasy
02-14-11, 11:54 am
you have the same type of symptoms ive been havin..doc said it was a sprained sacroiliac joint in my hip..look it up on google the symptoms and region of pain were in the exact same spots i was gettin it

i sprained mine about 3 weeks ago and the pain really hasnt subsided so i havent been doing any bent over rows, squats or deads since..i would recommend the same if youre still gettin pain man. by the way it SUCKS getting your shoes and socks on in the morning haha.

GUNS
02-14-11, 12:48 pm
Really suck when you can't even put your own underware on.

deerenheimer
02-26-11, 11:08 am
I walk into the gym do my warmup and start my first excercise. The T bar row..... now im no stranger to T bar rows, I've been doing them for years. During the 3rd set of T rows with the close grip double D ring handle, the handle slipped on the bar during the lift and... EEERRKK! The severe lower back pain was instant. The pain was so bad I left the gym, went straight home and laid down....The next day i could hardly walk. I used a heating pad and continued to rest. After three days the pain was 80% gone......but the remaining pain lingered. Now the lingering pain was not constent .... only during certain lifts or if i turned a certain way. After a year of trying to remedy the pain with no luck, i decide its time to see a chiropractor. The chiropractor puts me on the table, and cracks my back in several different areas, the cracks send chills down my spine. I stand up and guess what...... NO PAIN! It was the best thing I could have done. He informs me that this type of injury is common in weight lifters.....something to do with the connection of the leg to the hip.....He also says that 90% of lower back pain is from tight hams.....he gives me some stretching routines and sends me on my way.

Bottom line.......Dont wait a year with your back pain like me, see a chiropractor. If you cant see a chiropractor start stretching your hams daily for 15 mins.....preferably after workouts or after a warm shower.

Punisher
02-26-11, 11:37 am
go to a chiro they will be able to diagnose you better than an md or a PT and treat you accordingly. talk to your doc. they usually understand that with athletes you aernt going to stop what you are doing but taking it easy by going lighter with higher reps or choosing different exercises for a while is not such a bad idea once you are healed you will most likely be right back where you left off strength wise.

USN_Beast
02-27-11, 7:31 am
I agree with some of the above posts.. stretch more and see about getting a trainer to stretch you out properly. I had similar issues with my lower back, but after incorperating some good hamstring and lower back stretches things got better!!

Stretch it out bro.

Carrnage
02-27-11, 4:27 pm
Really suck when you can't even put your own underware on.

why is your underwear off in the first place?

lol jkjkjk

GUNS
02-28-11, 3:49 am
why is your underwear off in the first place?

lol jkjkjk

lol!, gotta shower every now and then.

Im traveling and on a deload week and this bed is killing my lower back. I will be in my own bed before the end of the deload, I may sleep on the floor tonught!