PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Rusk08
02-14-11, 4:01 am
So yesterday I was in the gym doing chest and I see two young guys about 3 years younger than me standing there in the corner by the squat racks. And as im going through my chest workout I notice them doing reverse grip barbell curls with 15kg's for a whole hour... and its quite obvious that they dont deadlift as theyre both quite skinny. Whats the point of a strong grip if you dont use it?
I've always believed if you cant hold onto and control the weight you shouldnt be using it...

And I felt like walking up to them and asking, what are they doing? Its obvious they dont train properly as I havent seen them making any gains since theyve joined the gym.

Just interested in what you guys would do in this situation? Do I offer my advice? Should I show them how to train properly? Or just leave it and let them work it out for themselves how I and many of you have.

Rusk

dannynb
02-14-11, 8:22 am
So yesterday I was in the gym doing chest and I see two young guys about 3 years younger than me standing there in the corner by the squat racks. And as im going through my chest workout I notice them doing reverse grip barbell curls with 15kg's for a whole hour... and its quite obvious that they dont deadlift as theyre both quite skinny. Whats the point of a strong grip if you dont use it?
I've always believed if you cant hold onto and control the weight you shouldnt be using it...

And I felt like walking up to them and asking, what are they doing? Its obvious they dont train properly as I havent seen them making any gains since theyve joined the gym.

Just interested in what you guys would do in this situation? Do I offer my advice? Should I show them how to train properly? Or just leave it and let them work it out for themselves how I and many of you have.

Rusk
Hard to say really....I for one leave people alone unless I see them lifting in a way that they may get hurt. Or if there is a friendly open moment where I can step in without sounding pushy or offensive, then I may say something. But honestly, until they are ready to learn...nothing you can say or do to convince them otherwise.

Rusk08
02-15-11, 1:47 pm
Hard to say really....I for one leave people alone unless I see them lifting in a way that they may get hurt. Or if there is a friendly open moment where I can step in without sounding pushy or offensive, then I may say something. But honestly, until they are ready to learn...nothing you can say or do to convince them otherwise.
Thats a good idea.... anyone else experienced this before?

smoothballer
02-15-11, 1:59 pm

Thats a good idea.... anyone else experienced this before?

Yeah this is a touchy issue. It really depends on the mentality of the person that I would attempt offer advice to. Some wanna hear it to improve their lifting others don't. For example there is this one high school kid at the gym. Real hard worker but like most at his age his ego gets in the way and form goes out the window. I tried to help him out with some form issues and he just blew it off so I just let him go. Then he saw me deadlifting one day and came up and asked me about it, how it would help him, and how to do it. Since then he comes to me for advice and if I see things that could help him I point it out. Like Danny said they have to be ready to learn...

Phil800101
02-15-11, 2:12 pm
Agreed with what's been said.

If I see someone doing something where they might hurt themselves, then I'll usually go over and politely ask if I can give them a tip. Otherwise I just let it go.

Cellardweller
02-15-11, 4:25 pm
Here's a similar question, what would you do if you saw a personal trainer training someone wrong? There's this trainer at my gym and she always has this guy doing incline dumbell presses at an angle. In other words, he's laying on an incline bench pressing out like he's flat benching. It's got to be murder on his shoulders. Would you or how would you approach that?

smoothballer
02-15-11, 4:33 pm
Here's a similar question, what would you do if you saw a personal trainer training someone wrong? There's this trainer at my gym and she always has this guy doing incline dumbell presses at an angle. In other words, he's laying on an incline bench pressing out like he's flat benching. It's got to be murder on his shoulders. Would you or how would you approach that?

That's a tough one since they, as a trainer, should have the knowledge to do it right and they are getting paid for their service to that person. You could always simply ask them what the benefit of doing it that way and see if they have a real answer. Basically just spark the conversation and see what comes out of it. Just an idea...

NWSaint
02-15-11, 6:26 pm
So yesterday I was in the gym doing chest and I see two young guys about 3 years younger than me standing there in the corner by the squat racks. And as im going through my chest workout I notice them doing reverse grip barbell curls with 15kg's for a whole hour... and its quite obvious that they dont deadlift as theyre both quite skinny.

Just interested in what you guys would do in this situation?

Buy them each a sports-bra.. so the next time they're taking up valuable space you can
toss each one of them one, point them to the girls locker room and tell'm the pilates class
is starting soon & get the F' out!

(LoL, now that's my speak what's on my mind side..)

The practical side of me wouldn't give'm the time of day, unless of course they got in
the way of my training, then it could get a lil' different.. SO, another thread reminding me
of exactly why I converted my garage into a gym.

NW.

dannynb
02-15-11, 8:01 pm
That's a tough one since they, as a trainer, should have the knowledge to do it right and they are getting paid for their service to that person. You could always simply ask them what the benefit of doing it that way and see if they have a real answer. Basically just spark the conversation and see what comes out of it. Just an idea...

I would do just that...I would never try to discredit the person in front of the client. For one, you do this and I doubt they will even consider listening to you as you just stepped on their toes, secondly you're going to cause the client to lose all faith in any and all trainers right there. I would ask what the benefit is in the lift the way she is having them perform them and if no good answer is given wait and talk with the trainer after the session or go speak to the management....although honestly unless the trainer and or club is legitimate and gives a damn....nothing will come of it except you pissing people off.

Machine
02-15-11, 9:17 pm
Don't stress over it brother...think of it as a variation of natural selection. These things have a way of working themselves out all on thier own.

Just think, if every person who stepped into a weight room had good form and didnt do stupid things...there would be even less preciuos training space than there is right now...it all comes out in the wash.

MACHINE

Jay
02-16-11, 7:44 am
I personally would not get involved unless they were in danger- I.E. the gym go'er who has too much weight on the bar and cant rack it himself without a spotter. I stick to my self- people are in the gym for different reasons then the majority of people on this forum. Some are their interested in only getting bigger arms, some are there to impress the ladys, others are their for cardio reasons, or to look at ladys,,,ha.

A better choice of wording instead of 'what are you doing ' would be something like. I noticed you were doing alot of those curls, what are you working on? And work into it that way.

Cellardweller
02-16-11, 9:04 am
I would do just that...I would never try to discredit the person in front of the client. For one, you do this and I doubt they will even consider listening to you as you just stepped on their toes, secondly you're going to cause the client to lose all faith in any and all trainers right there. I would ask what the benefit is in the lift the way she is having them perform them and if no good answer is given wait and talk with the trainer after the session or go speak to the management....although honestly unless the trainer and or club is legitimate and gives a damn....nothing will come of it except you pissing people off.

This is why I asked. It's pretty touchy and I don't want to be an ass. Maybe her client (who is in his 20's) will see me doing it and ask why I do things differently than she has him doing it. Of course, I train totally different than she has him train but that's another thing. I also can't presume what his goals are either.

dandrea101a
02-16-11, 9:22 pm
If they're not asking questions, they're not ready to learn.

shizz702
02-16-11, 10:58 pm
Nothing you can do. Inevitably there will be masses of skinny kids doing set after set of pump weight curls and tricep pushdowns in the gym while neglecting their legs and back.

I just laugh as I continue to beat my logbook and see myself grow, while these kids stay the same.

prowrestler
02-16-11, 11:03 pm
Eat the weak

Rusk08
02-17-11, 6:54 am
eat the weak

hahahaha!!!

Big Bay
02-18-11, 1:11 pm
I personally would not get involved unless they were in danger- I.E. the gym go'er who has too much weight on the bar and cant rack it himself without a spotter. I stick to my self- people are in the gym for different reasons then the majority of people on this forum. Some are their interested in only getting bigger arms, some are there to impress the ladys, others are their for cardio reasons, or to look at ladys,,,ha.

A better choice of wording instead of 'what are you doing ' would be something like. I noticed you were doing alot of those curls, what are you working on? And work into it that way.

Good advice there. I remember when I was a youngster and I was an avid rock climber I would spend time in the gym doing things only to improve my grip and stamina. I would also swing/cheat when doing pull ups and things like that, which are popular techniques for improving ones rock climbing game.

Who knows why they are there. And if they are there for bodybuilding, when they are ready to learn they will.

Carrnage
02-18-11, 6:07 pm

Rusk

We live in a paracite infected world, just leave them alone, nobody ever likes hearing advice nowa days.

P Diesel
02-18-11, 6:12 pm
Rusk...honestly bro...fuck em. u have more to focus on w urself then these lames. i do know what u mean tho, we've all been there shaking our heads in disbelief, confusion or frustration. as Machine said, these things have a way of workng themselves out, perhaps they will over load the bar w no spot and that will b the end of it haha... on a another note i doubt u wanna be associated w these dudes. if they were eager to learn and thorough muther fuckers, then sure impart ur knowledge...doesnt sound like it tho. keep up the good work

P Diesel

Rusk08
02-20-11, 11:52 am
Rusk...honestly bro...fuck em. u have more to focus on w urself then these lames. i do know what u mean tho, we've all been there shaking our heads in disbelief, confusion or frustration. as Machine said, these things have a way of workng themselves out, perhaps they will over load the bar w no spot and that will b the end of it haha... on a another note i doubt u wanna be associated w these dudes. if they were eager to learn and thorough muther fuckers, then sure impart ur knowledge...doesnt sound like it tho. keep up the good work

P Diesel
I agree man....
Like MACHINE said: natural selection ftw

LegendKillerJosh
03-08-11, 1:48 pm

Rusk

The part that bothers me is that gyms have a section of dumbells and barbells and pre-set ez bars for curls and these kids were taking up the squat rack. I've been to gyms that only have 1 or 2 good free weight squat racks besides smith machines. I like to use those cages for benching because I lift alone and it just so happens I can set the pins so the bar touches my chest but if I can't get the last rep I can still get out from under the bar. So when some jerk is using that rack to curl 95 pounds for a half hour and I can't bench to failure without a spotter I get super pissed off.

Jzepp
03-11-11, 12:48 am
We live in a paracite infected world, just leave them alone, nobody ever likes hearing advice nowa days.

I agree. I dont bother helping anybody anymore. I tried to offer advice to a guy doing reverse curls....he was swinging the bar up and down so fast...well he must have gotten pissed and when i walked away, he threw the ez bar on the ground so hard...he bent some other bars on the ground. The whole gym stopped to look at this crazy roided up kid. Fuk helping people.

Mr.X
03-11-11, 3:49 am
The part that bothers me is that gyms have a section of dumbells and barbells and pre-set ez bars for curls and these kids were taking up the squat rack. I've been to gyms that only have 1 or 2 good free weight squat racks besides smith machines. I like to use those cages for benching because I lift alone and it just so happens I can set the pins so the bar touches my chest but if I can't get the last rep I can still get out from under the bar. So when some jerk is using that rack to curl 95 pounds for a half hour and I can't bench to failure without a spotter I get super pissed off.

shit bro if this is me i plain ole walk up to them look them dead in the eye and politely ask them to vacate the cage ive never had nobody say no hell i dont even mind sharing the cage set after set...just nice and politely tell em to get the fuck out so real men can work