PDA

View Full Version : How much prep time

sin-city-customs
02-15-11, 9:10 pm
Just wondering how much time you guys think you spend making meals for the day/week. Breakfast and lunch mostly. I was thinking 3-4 hours for a weeks worth. I split it into Sun and Wed nights. Have to cook dinner with the kids when I get home daily.
Dave

Mr. Dead
02-15-11, 11:35 pm
Just wondering how much time you guys think you spend making meals for the day/week. Breakfast and lunch mostly. I was thinking 3-4 hours for a weeks worth. I split it into Sun and Wed nights. Have to cook dinner with the kids when I get home daily.
Dave

Depends on the size of the grill, oven, rice cooker, etc.... I've got a rather large grill, and a 20 cup rice cooker... So, it only takes me about half that time...

dannynb
02-15-11, 11:36 pm
I spend 2 evenings a week prepping food after the kids go to bed while I'm studying or working on diets.....I also have a great wife who will do "some" cooking for me during the week if need be.

Jay
02-16-11, 7:40 am
Same here.. every few days for me and always the day before the work week.

Oz_78
02-16-11, 10:43 pm
Too much!!

Twice a week on my days off work,all up probably about 4hrs give or take.

Carl
02-17-11, 12:45 pm
I make mine every night for the next day's meals. It takes about one hour.

Appollonian
02-17-11, 1:50 pm
This is how my prep time works:

For lunches that I eat at work, the meat is from the dinner the night before or two nights before and the rice that goes with it is cooked the night before while dinner is cooking (unless we are eating rice, then it happens after that). For the meat I usually make 3-6 servings at a time, which gives my wife and I either 1 or two nights worth of dinners and then 1-2 lunches. So for that, I only count the prep time to assemble the meal, about 5 minutes.

The between 'big' meal snacks are protein bars that I make every sunday and take about 10 minutes to whip together, 60 minutes to cook, and 1 minute to cut, and then 1 minute every night to set the next day's bars aside.

For a week I might exclusively spend on my own meals as about 2 hrs a week.

violator
02-22-11, 11:10 am
The between 'big' meal snacks are protein bars that I make every sunday and take about 10 minutes to whip together, 60 minutes to cook, and 1 minute to cut, and then 1 minute every night to set the next day's bars aside.

they sound like a good idea...u got a recipie there bro?

As for me, i cook around twice a week, chicken & sweet potato...both take around 40mnis to cook then i put it all in tupperware..

i cook broccoli daily 2 mins in the micro

total time to prep 6 meals for the day...20 - 25mins flat...26weeks in & im gettin quicker everytime baby... haha

other food items;

eggs (drink em raw, what a timesaver)
ground oats (grind in a coffee grinder and add to shakes)
canned kippers...oh so easy to prep
protein powder
natty nut butters
cottage cheese
ryvita crackers
oils

oh, id be nowhere without my kitchen scale either...& loads of tupperware

fridays i eat a shitload of kids cereal & poptarts.....mmmm...oreo poptarts

C.Coronato
02-22-11, 11:21 am
I dont take much time at all. Grille up chicken and cook the rice and veg. Thats it, ill do it 2-3x a week, and maybe 45 mins each time. Its very quick. Then each night i just put together the food for the next day which only takes a few mins to weigh it all.

ToSo
02-22-11, 11:23 am
Dave

I generally prepare in bulk. I break my prep time into two days, Sunday I spend 2 hours or so boiling chicken, baking fish, steaming veggies, ect. Then on Wednesdays I do it all over again. I like to keep all my food relatively fresh as possible. Also my trick is the chicken and fish I cook Sunday is seasoned differently than the chicken and fish seasoned on Wednesday. That way I don't get tired of the same taste.

MRmichael.hooker
02-22-11, 2:56 pm
Ill take Thursday and bake all the chicken, bake all the fish, cut all veggies. Then each morning ill make my eggs and oatmeal, while I'm eating that my rice will be cooking and veggies will be grilling. I have to cook my carbs that day or they get too dry for me. About a hour on Thursday, and 30 mins each morning weighing and making carbs for the day

Appollonian
02-22-11, 4:49 pm
they sound like a good idea...u got a recipie there bro?

As for me, i cook around twice a week, chicken & sweet potato...both take around 40mnis to cook then i put it all in tupperware..

i cook broccoli daily 2 mins in the micro

total time to prep 6 meals for the day...20 - 25mins flat...26weeks in & im gettin quicker everytime baby... haha

other food items;

eggs (drink em raw, what a timesaver)
ground oats (grind in a coffee grinder and add to shakes)
canned kippers...oh so easy to prep
protein powder
natty nut butters
cottage cheese
ryvita crackers
oils

oh, id be nowhere without my kitchen scale either...& loads of tupperware

fridays i eat a shitload of kids cereal & poptarts.....mmmm...oreo poptarts

Fairly simple (in my opinion); you need the following:
10 servings of oatmeal of your choice - I use old fashioned, but steel cut works, too. Nice slow carbs and fiber
6 servings of nonfat dry milk powder - Good old school protein source with some more carbs in there
6 servings of raisins - I love raisins... good relatively fast carbs, could cut back here if your metabolism is slower I guess
5 servings of natural peanut butter - Taste and healthy fats, works well with crunchy or creamy, different type of nut (almond is good, too)
3 servings of egg (white) - For some reason just a small amount of egg just seems to make things bind better, good protein
8-10 servings of protein powder - flavor to your liking (it will affect the tasted to one degree or another)

Pre-heat oven to 320 F. Mix dry until fairly consistent in large bowl. Add 12-24 ounces of water, 4 ounces at at time after the first 12. Go for a consistency that moves on it's own when you tilt the bowl but is not soupy... it's hard to describe, I'd almost need to take a picture of it. Pour into sprayed baking container. At 1" thick bake for 40 minutes, lower temperature down to 220 F and bake additional 20 minutes. You could probably bake it shorter, but I like to ensure that my bars are dry to avoid spoilage. Cut when warm, otherwise you will get a workout just cutting into these things.

It's an acquired taste for sure, but I've gotten to where I really like eating the bars. You can also tweak the ratios as you see fit, use different type(s) fruit, whatever you want. I got the idea off someone on another website but unfortunately I don't remember who/where so I cannot quote... If you make it let me know what you think.

STATS: ~ 27 gm protein, 47 gm protein, 13 gm fat 460 Cal

rmt0512
02-22-11, 7:42 pm
About 4 hours every Sunday afternoon, prepping all my lunches for the week. I wish I had more than 4 stove burners.

scals
02-23-11, 12:12 pm
Takes me about 3 hours per week. Throw chicken and steak on the grill. Tilapia in the oven and veges in a steamer. I cook potatoes and rice daily but that takes 5 minutes.

violator
02-24-11, 1:29 pm
Fairly simple (in my opinion); you need the following:
10 servings of oatmeal of your choice - I use old fashioned, but steel cut works, too. Nice slow carbs and fiber
6 servings of nonfat dry milk powder - Good old school protein source with some more carbs in there
6 servings of raisins - I love raisins... good relatively fast carbs, could cut back here if your metabolism is slower I guess
5 servings of natural peanut butter - Taste and healthy fats, works well with crunchy or creamy, different type of nut (almond is good, too)
3 servings of egg (white) - For some reason just a small amount of egg just seems to make things bind better, good protein
8-10 servings of protein powder - flavor to your liking (it will affect the tasted to one degree or another)

Pre-heat oven to 320 F. Mix dry until fairly consistent in large bowl. Add 12-24 ounces of water, 4 ounces at at time after the first 12. Go for a consistency that moves on it's own when you tilt the bowl but is not soupy... it's hard to describe, I'd almost need to take a picture of it. Pour into sprayed baking container. At 1" thick bake for 40 minutes, lower temperature down to 220 F and bake additional 20 minutes. You could probably bake it shorter, but I like to ensure that my bars are dry to avoid spoilage. Cut when warm, otherwise you will get a workout just cutting into these things.

It's an acquired taste for sure, but I've gotten to where I really like eating the bars. You can also tweak the ratios as you see fit, use different type(s) fruit, whatever you want. I got the idea off someone on another website but unfortunately I don't remember who/where so I cannot quote... If you make it let me know what you think.

STATS: ~ 27 gm protein, 47 gm protein, 13 gm fat 460 Cal

thanks man, that sounds like something worth trying next refeed day!, ill let ya know how i get on wit em...