PDA

View Full Version : protein shakes

chris1
02-18-11, 10:37 pm
I currently take my protein shakes with milk oats and a banana, but I read some in some places that said the milk would slow the digestion of the protein. Is this true? Also is it okay having oats + banana, I heard having fast and slow digesting carbs pwo was beneficial.

Lonestar
02-18-11, 11:52 pm
Milk itself wont slow down the digestion, the fat in the milk can do that though. But i really dont think its that big of a deal. if you want, just mix your PWO shake with water. Any other shakes during the day should be mixed with milk as it is full of nutrients. And yeah, go ahead and throw a banana in there with some oats. Dont over-complicate things man, it usually causes more harm than good.

aussiebob
03-24-14, 1:20 am
Milk itself wont slow down the digestion, the fat in the milk can do that though. But i really dont think its that big of a deal. if you want, just mix your PWO shake with water. Any other shakes during the day should be mixed with milk as it is full of nutrients. And yeah, go ahead and throw a banana in there with some oats. Dont over-complicate things man, it usually causes more harm than good.

Hi, I realise it's been a while since u posted this reply but I was wondering about adding oats into Shake with water, If it was u what type of oats would u have? I found that it tasted shit wit whole oats. Should I maybe use quick cut oats.

I'm try to copy shake mix from Big on budget, any info or help would be great

Swolepez
03-24-14, 9:02 am
Hi, I realise it's been a while since u posted this reply but I was wondering about adding oats into Shake with water, If it was u what type of oats would u have? I found that it tasted shit wit whole oats. Should I maybe use quick cut oats.

I'm try to copy shake mix from Big on budget, any info or help would be great

I use Old Fashioned Oats. I put the oats in a blender and grind them until it's almost in powder form. Then I put it in my shake. You can hardly taste the oats. Or I will mix oats in my shake about 30 mins before I'm gonna drink it so the oats can get soft. I use water.

Do you cook your oats or leave it uncooked when you put it in a shake?

Highlander
09-23-14, 9:49 pm
I don't have Casein protein and this is what I have been having as a pm protein shake.

1 cup of milk
2 containers of Greek yogurt
2 tbsp on peanut butter
Sometimes 1 tbsp of coco powder depending on the flavor of yogurt

I'm looking for another good pm shake recipe to substitute casein protein.

Lottawheels
09-24-14, 6:38 am
I don't have Casein protein and this is what I have been having as a pm protein shake.

1 cup of milk
2 containers of Greek yogurt
2 tbsp on peanut butter
Sometimes 1 tbsp of coco powder depending on the flavor of yogurt

I'm looking for another good pm shake recipe to substitute casein protein.

As long as you have a good amount of fats in your pm shake it will slow down digestion for overnight. I throw cottage cheese in mine sometimes as well.

Orthodox
09-24-14, 7:02 am
As long as you have a good amount of fats in your pm shake it will slow down digestion for overnight. I throw cottage cheese in mine sometimes as well.

3/4 of Greek yogurt
3/4 0f cottage cheese
60 grm of powdered milk

Great blend of protein to go to sleep on. I ain't waking till the morning

Lottawheels
09-24-14, 8:47 am
3/4 of Greek yogurt
3/4 0f cottage cheese
60 grm of powdered milk

I throw greek yogurt, pb, and cottage cheese in my gainer at night

1200 calories of sleep fuel 😂😂

Highlander
09-25-14, 8:22 am

1200 calories of sleep fuel 

I'm not a big cottage cheese fan but I will try it haha

Highlander
09-26-14, 3:14 pm
3/4 of Greek yogurt
3/4 0f cottage cheese
60 grm of powdered milk

Tried this and it was pretty good, thanks

Rex
09-26-14, 6:04 pm
I currently take my protein shakes with milk oats and a banana, but I read some in some places that said the milk would slow the digestion of the protein. Is this true? Also is it okay having oats + banana, I heard having fast and slow digesting carbs pwo was beneficial.

Yes. Milk will definitely slow down digestion of the protein shake.

That being said, mixing your post workout whey protein with milk is total nonsene anyway. There you are spending your money on a protein supplement that is isolated out of whole milk in order to provide an almost fat and lactose free, quickly digesting protein source. And now you´re adding milk back into it...

Makes absolutely no sense, right?

Rex
09-26-14, 6:08 pm
By the way, if you are looking for an easy postworkout shake you can get Universal´s Uni-syn and mix it with a Gatorade. I know G Diesel does that after his workouts...

Highlander
10-23-14, 6:00 pm

1200 calories of sleep fuel 

How much Greek yogurt, PB, and cottage cheese do you use?

Lottawheels
10-24-14, 11:19 pm
How much Greek yogurt, PB, and cottage cheese do you use?

I actually stopped using the cottage cheese, it was just way too much to stomach. I'll do a cup of Greek yog, 2 big spoonfuls of pb, and universal gain fast with water (because I mix it with milk and people around me are dying, lol) but you could definitely use milk too.

G Diesel
10-28-14, 11:52 am
Yes. Milk will definitely slow down digestion of the protein shake.

That being said, mixing your post workout whey protein with milk is total nonsene anyway. There you are spending your money on a protein supplement that is isolated out of whole milk in order to provide an almost fat and lactose free, quickly digesting protein source. And now you´re adding milk back into it...

Makes absolutely no sense, right?

Very good point man.

By the way, if you are looking for an easy postworkout shake you can get Universal´s Uni-syn and mix it with a Gatorade. I know G Diesel does that after his workouts...

If Roman recommends it, I must be on the right track.

I actually stopped using the cottage cheese, it was just way too much to stomach. I'll do a cup of Greek yog, 2 big spoonfuls of pb, and universal gain fast with water (because I mix it with milk and people around me are dying, lol) but you could definitely use milk too.

Damn son that is a MONSTER shake. Haha. Awesome.

Peace, G

Rex
10-28-14, 5:14 pm
Very good point man.

If Roman recommends it, I must be on the right track.

Peace, G

Actually YOU brought me onto this. Professional or not, I am keeping an open mind and trying to learn as much as possible.

Highlander
10-28-14, 7:10 pm

Thanks man I will try it

Lottawheels
10-28-14, 9:35 pm
Thanks man I will try it

No problem bro

John Grey
10-31-14, 10:18 am

This is good! I also like the Lava in gatorade for extra carbs!

G Diesel
10-31-14, 10:42 am
This is good! I also like the Lava in gatorade for extra carbs!

I like that. LAVA is way underrated. Great formula.

http://www.universalusa.com/Universal/Products/Aminos-Recovery/LAVA

Peace, G

John Grey
10-31-14, 11:00 am
I like that. LAVA is way underrated. Great formula.

http://www.universalusa.com/Universal/Products/Aminos-Recovery/LAVA

Peace, G

Amen, the 1:1 protein/carb ratio is unbelievable!! It's been my go to post workout shake for going on 2 months now..

Cellardweller
12-10-14, 2:11 pm
Here's a breakfast shake I had yesterday:

2 scoops of iso whey
1 serving of glutamine
1 serving of creatine
milled flaxseed
one cup of Fruity Pebbles cereal that I had ground down to a fine powder in the nutribullet, ends up being a quarter cup of powder

I mixed it in water, but you could do it in milk too

Jay
12-11-14, 11:48 am
Not sure if anyone say my IG post. My nephews gym teacher told him that 'protein shakes are bad for you because they ruin your liver.' Not sure the background of this knowledge but it made me laugh a bit.

G Diesel
12-11-14, 12:57 pm
Here's a breakfast shake I had yesterday:

2 scoops of iso whey
1 serving of glutamine
1 serving of creatine
milled flaxseed
one cup of Fruity Pebbles cereal that I had ground down to a fine powder in the nutribullet, ends up being a quarter cup of powder

I mixed it in water, but you could do it in milk too

Haha. I dig it. Didn't even see the Fruity Pebbles coming. I like cereal so much, if I'm gonna eat some, I'm doing it separate from my shake. And the Lucky Charms or Cocoa Krispies are going down in some whole milk.

My very simple morning shake of late has been...

2 scoops Ultra Whey Pro Double Chocolate Chip
10 oz whole milk
1/2 cup quick oats

About 575 calories. 60g of protein. Mix in a shaker cup and bang em the fuck back.

Peace, G

DANO
12-11-14, 10:19 pm
Haha. I dig it. Didn't even see the Fruity Pebbles coming. I like cereal so much, if I'm gonna eat some, I'm doing it separate from my shake. And the Lucky Charms or Cocoa Krispies are going down in some whole milk.

10 oz whole milk
1/2 cup quick oats

About 575 calories. 60g of protein. Mix in a shaker cup and bang em the fuck back.

Peace, G

I may just try this tomorrow...

Blondie Weapon X
12-11-14, 11:16 pm
Great shake recipes guys!
Keep em coming!

MikeHerman
12-12-14, 8:34 am
My morning shakes are more geared for weight gain, so I'm not sure if a lot of you guys here will dig it.

2 scoops fudge brownie whey
12 oz whole milk
2 tbsp natural PB
1 tbsp hazelnut spread
1/4 cup steel cut oats

Around 800 calories and 55g protein.

G Diesel
12-12-14, 10:04 am
I may just try this tomorrow...

30 second power meal. Mass on the run.

Peace, G

HIGA MONSTER
12-12-14, 10:16 am

10 oz whole milk
1/2 cup quick oats

Peace, G
Shit bro, thats LEGIT right there!

Wu-bangers for life...

HIGA MONSTER

skibasgym
03-30-15, 12:25 pm
I mix my protein shakes with water as the base and throw in ice cubes. I used to use apple juice but was wasting too many calories using that.