PDA

View Full Version : Bench contest question

wedge
02-21-11, 12:13 pm
I am planning on participating in a local YMCA bench competition on Saturday, March 5 (potential family medical issues may keep me out, but participating is the plan). It's for charity and some of the guys I train strongman with will be participating. I've judged it the last few years.
I've never competed in one before and am asking for advice on choosing weights. My max in the gym, non PL regulations is 300. I plan on opening at 225 and moving up from there.
Just wondering what the increases should be. I don't want to go to high and wear myself out on the third attempt or to light and waste the second attempt.
Any help would be appreciated.

BryanSmash!
02-21-11, 6:38 pm
If this is your first meet, I would have to say that youre really over thinking it. I recommend just going by feel, you'll be able to give your next attempt after every lift so judge by how the last lift felt. Just focus on going there, having a good time and gaining some actual meet experience. Be warned though...once the powerlifting bug bites you, youll want more!
Good luck!

wedge
02-22-11, 11:59 am
Thanks BryanSmash. I probably am over thinking things.

Aggression
02-22-11, 12:09 pm
I am planning on participating in a local YMCA bench competition on Saturday, March 5 (potential family medical issues may keep me out, but participating is the plan). It's for charity and some of the guys I train strongman with will be participating. I've judged it the last few years.
I've never competed in one before and am asking for advice on choosing weights. My max in the gym, non PL regulations is 300. I plan on opening at 225 and moving up from there.
Just wondering what the increases should be. I don't want to go to high and wear myself out on the third attempt or to light and waste the second attempt.
Any help would be appreciated.

Yo wedge. I just competed in my first powerlifting meet back on 1/29. I went through the same issues. Here is what I did for my attempts ..

1st attempt: a weight that I know, even on the worst of days, I could bang out for 3 reps
2nd attempt: a weight slightly below my previous PR, a weight that I know I could still nail down for 1, with authority
3rd attempt: based on the previous 2, I'll make a decision; either go with a conservative PR (~5lbs or so) or if those other 2 attempts felt really good, I'll try to smoke a big PR.

My openers were very conservative. Next time around I'll set them a little higher. You just have to feel 'em out.

G Diesel
02-22-11, 12:53 pm
Yo wedge. I just competed in my first powerlifting meet back on 1/29. I went through the same issues. Here is what I did for my attempts ..

1st attempt: a weight that I know, even on the worst of days, I could bang out for 3 reps
2nd attempt: a weight slightly below my previous PR, a weight that I know I could still nail down for 1, with authority
3rd attempt: based on the previous 2, I'll make a decision; either go with a conservative PR (~5lbs or so) or if those other 2 attempts felt really good, I'll try to smoke a big PR.

My openers were very conservative. Next time around I'll set them a little higher. You just have to feel 'em out.

Awesome advice... That third attempt should be something arrived at organically at the meet, after being honest with yourself after how the first two attempts went.

Peace, G

wedge
02-22-11, 4:43 pm
Thanks for the input Aggression and G Diesel. I appreciate the advice.

Cstlfx
02-24-11, 4:38 pm
My two cents, your first meet should be a learning experience. Do your best, but if you mess something up dont worry about it.

Aggression is spot on with his advice.

Most importantly have fun and good luck!!

wedge
02-25-11, 1:32 pm
My two cents, your first meet should be a learning experience. Do your best, but if you mess something up dont worry about it.

Aggression is spot on with his advice.

Most importantly have fun and good luck!!

Thanks bro. Appreciate the input. I'm a bit of a planner and everyone is helping me realize that this is an area where I will need to feel it out more instead of a rigid plan.