PDA

View Full Version : "changing it up" nut huggers, read up

prowrestler
02-21-11, 1:52 pm
"Another very commonly accepted idea is that to progress you need to completely change your workout very often (authorities recommend anywhere between changing every 2 to 6 weeks). If you listen to them, if you do not do that, you are an idiot doomed to a life of stagnation in the gym. As you might tend to believe, I do not agree with them. Here are a few reasons why.

1. Look at some of the most successful athletes and bodybuilders; they stick to the same program for very long. Oh, sometimes they might change the number of reps or sets that they do (within reason) but most of them stick to the same lifts week in and week out.

All elite olympic lifters only do the snatch, clean & jerk, squat and front squat (a minority will throw in a few assistance exercises) and most of them don't vary their reps much. Yet their strength goes up.

Dorian Yates stuck to the same training program for all his Olympia wins, except for some minor changes because of injuries.

Ed Coan and many top powerlifters from the 80s and 90s used the same exercises year round, only varying the reps.

2. Often times frequent training revamping is (like the 1-hour rule) a way for trainers to make more money. Since it's good for business, it is in their interest to promote the myth that you need to change your training (and thus BUY a new program) frequently. When a lot of people say the same thing, that thing eventually begin to be seen as factual, even if the guys doing the talking have an interest.

3. When you first start a program it takes you a week or two to get used to it, learn the exercises and master them. Even if you know the exercises, if you've been away from them for a while you have quick "progress" for 2 or 3 weeks. That progress isn't due to better muscle stimulation, simply to an improved coordination and efficiency on that lift.

After 3 weeks or so, the "quick" gains (neural adaptations) stop and your progress slows down. You then change your program completely and you start improving your lifts again... not because you are getting stronger or bigger... because you are getting used to the new lifts. It gives an ILLUSION of progress but in reality very little growth will be stimulated.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't vary your training, far from it. I include a lot of variation in my own training. But these are micro-variations... doing a few more or a few less sets... varying the reps a bit ... adding or removing an assistance lift, etc. I stick with the basic movements for a while. It is not until you are very efficient at them that your body will need to build more tissue to adapt. If you change these exercises too often then they will not give you their full benefits.

I always stick to the same movement "core"... for me these are the push press, bench press, power snatch, squat and a form of pulldown. These will stick with me almost year round. The assistance work is then adjusted daily on a need-to basis.

Remember only DOING A LOT OF HARD WORK will bring real muscle growth... frequent changes (complete revamping of program) only gives the illusion of progresss"

Cellardweller
02-21-11, 2:50 pm
Great article Pro. Where'd ya get it?

prowrestler
02-21-11, 2:57 pm
Great article Pro. Where'd ya get it?

1 of christian thib's rants on tnation. he posts up some stuff close to every day now, whats on his mind kinda shit

njironaddict
02-21-11, 3:16 pm
Good shit my man. Definitely a lot of truth in that.

Carrnage
02-21-11, 4:18 pm
good shit, thats why i always stick to my foundation of presses for chest, rows and deads for back, presses,laterals for delts, dips,skulls,curls for arms, squats for legs......only thing i change up is my reps and techniques such as supersets,drop sets, etc.

BarbellManiac
02-21-11, 4:35 pm
Good article! The only reason I change my split is that it gets boring, and the last thing I want is to be bored when I train. So even though I keep the basics the same (squats, deads etc) I just change the order I do them during the week and which muscle groups I will train.

J-Dawg
02-21-11, 4:45 pm
Nice article. It's really all about the consistency and dedication to diet and training--things that most people overlook being consistent with b/c they're hoping to find the next great method of training or next great diet method.

Machine
02-21-11, 5:27 pm
Interesting read here brother...nicely done.

MACHINE

Elite
02-21-11, 5:52 pm
Good write up and very very true. I see guys who have been doing every variable under the sun at my gym for the past 2 years, but still look the same. Never see them doing the compounds or using free weights unless their doing bb/db curls

shizz702
02-21-11, 7:11 pm
But bro my biceps are lagging?! Should I do incline db curls instead and throw in some drop sets and forced negatives to shock them and cause muscle confusion? lmao jk ;)

Good point you are getting across here with this pro.

Carrnage
02-21-11, 8:32 pm
But bro my biceps are lagging?! Should I do incline db curls instead and throw in some drop sets and forced negatives to shock them and cause muscle confusion? lmao jk ;)

Good point you are getting across here with this pro.

Wow are you hating on me?! lol

And yes if your biceps are lagging you should throw in some incline curls, drop sets, forced negatives....or you can stick with the heavy barbell cheat curls that will get you no where.....booooooooooooo! lol

MELTDOWN
02-21-11, 10:07 pm
Nice article. It's really all about the consistency and dedication to diet and training--things that most people overlook being consistent with b/c they're hoping to find the next great method of training or next great diet method.

Exactly J-D..too often we see people that never give their training and/or diet time to work. Understanding and knowing that changing things up is good and necessary, you can't play hopscotch with training and diet and expect to get results. I always believed (and trained) with the idea of keeping the basics in place (bench, military press, squat, deads, b/b curl, tri presses) and add other movements to compliment. I may step over and do some wacked up stuff for a couple weeks, but always come back to the standards.

prowrestler
02-21-11, 10:23 pm

And yes if your biceps are lagging you should throw in some incline curls, drop sets, forced negatives....or you can stick with the heavy barbell cheat curls that will get you no where.....booooooooooooo! lol

lol he's not hating on you man, relax there. you are not the stereotypical routine jumping newb that we all see time and time again.

and at your stage in the game, AFTER you passed through the basic stages of lifting and earned the need for more advanced methods, those will help you.

but your core remains the same, big bad compounds

Altered Beast
02-21-11, 10:38 pm
I agree to a point. I perform the same exercises, but either switch up the order or the rep count. Depending on if it's a power exercise or shaping exercise, this holds true.

For those who use drugs, they will never have to worry about this. For those of us who don't, changing the rep count based on percentages or changing the order of the same lifts does show significant benefit.

The men at Westside Barbell perform the same lifts for two week mini cycles than switch. They are the basic lifts, but are different exercises. Example: Box Squats, Speed Squats with Bands or Max Effort Box Squats with Chains.

Does my point make sense? Basically, some change is necessary based on minor variations. BUT, not complete change like you said. Simply changing everything for the sake of changing is bullshit.

D-Kev
02-21-11, 11:18 pm
What I like about PW, is that I believed he wrote this article,..until he mentioned CT wrote it.

prowrestler
02-22-11, 12:47 am
What I like about PW, is that I believed he wrote this article,..until he mentioned CT wrote it.

why? i never claimed to write it lol and i placed the " "

JasonG
02-22-11, 6:56 am
Good stuff pro but you mean if the newest top bodybuilder releases his secret miraculous routine I shouldn't jump on it immediately?? Here's something else from him I thought was interesting
" ... wait until a lift has been stagnant for some time before changing it. Even when everything is perfect, out of 10 sesions you will normally progress in 6 of them, stay the same in 2 or 3 and regress in 1 or 2. Don't jump the gun too fast when it comes to changing exercises. One bad day doesn't mean that an exercise "expired"."

Altered Beast
02-22-11, 11:04 am
Did you post this article just so everyone would agree with you? =)

Wycked
02-22-11, 2:25 pm
really like the mode of thinking behind the article and the idea of sticking to the basics or more importantly sticking to what works for u! in my opinion revamping entire training routines is not a good idea. for everyone that lifts there are always "core" lifts we have for every bodypart. for example incline barbell press may be a staple in one's routine and it may be that lift that is your bread and butter in terms of power and overall development so of course u keep it in.

the one issue i do have is when it comes to bodybuilders. as bodybuilders we are trying to achieve many different variables when it comes to our physiques. that being said of course many of us do have our staple exercises and even routines but the key to being a great bodybuilder is the ability to adapt your lifting technique or style to allow u to improve lagging areas of your physique. for example if some knows their back is weak bodypart and more specifically their lower lat and lower lat insertion is the main deficiency then the appropriate steps must be taken to focus on that area. many people competing today have this issue and very little are doing anything intelligent to address it. the old moto comes into play that if something is lagging then u just train it harder and heavier. the thing is though my guess is these people have been training this lagging bodypart "harder" and "heavier" and they still don't see a marked improvement. the reason is u must lower the weight and do things like adjust hand position, head position, or even arm angle if u ever want to really hit the area properly. having said that the lifts that are staple lifts are still in there but the mechanics and intention of the lift have to completely change.

so wtf am i getting at? lol
in order to constantly improve as a bodybuilder there must be room for incorporation of new techniques and exercises to allow your body to develop fully but those lifts that got u to the size and strength u have already attained must be kept in as they are the foudation to the house.

i don't speak on powerlifting principles of training because i know next nothing about them. you guys are crazy bastards and i respect the hell out u

Carrnage
02-22-11, 5:24 pm
really like the mode of thinking behind the article and the idea of sticking to the basics or more importantly sticking to what works for u! in my opinion revamping entire training routines is not a good idea. for everyone that lifts there are always "core" lifts we have for every bodypart. for example incline barbell press may be a staple in one's routine and it may be that lift that is your bread and butter in terms of power and overall development so of course u keep it in.

the one issue i do have is when it comes to bodybuilders. as bodybuilders we are trying to achieve many different variables when it comes to our physiques. that being said of course many of us do have our staple exercises and even routines but the key to being a great bodybuilder is the ability to adapt your lifting technique or style to allow u to improve lagging areas of your physique. for example if some knows their back is weak bodypart and more specifically their lower lat and lower lat insertion is the main deficiency then the appropriate steps must be taken to focus on that area. many people competing today have this issue and very little are doing anything intelligent to address it. the old moto comes into play that if something is lagging then u just train it harder and heavier. the thing is though my guess is these people have been training this lagging bodypart "harder" and "heavier" and they still don't see a marked improvement. the reason is u must lower the weight and do things like adjust hand position, head position, or even arm angle if u ever want to really hit the area properly. having said that the lifts that are staple lifts are still in there but the mechanics and intention of the lift have to completely change.

in order to constantly improve as a bodybuilder there must be room for incorporation of new techniques and exercises to allow your body to develop fully but those lifts that got u to the size and strength u have already attained must be kept in as they are the foudation to the house.

i don't speak on powerlifting principles of training because i know next nothing about them. you guys are crazy bastards and i respect the hell out u

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT!!!!!! wyk you doing the New York pro right? or Arnold?

dannynb
02-22-11, 6:32 pm

Nicely said.....really looking forward to learning more from you.

prowrestler
02-22-11, 6:55 pm

a pro bodybuilder needs to adress his body specifics 100%.

an average trainee who never plans on stepping foot in a show does not. even a bodybuilder that is not up there yet does not need to adress lagging small details. people do not need more "inner / outer pecs when they weigh 200 lbs off season. they may need that when they are benching 400 for clean reps and compete at a high level. the goal is to be the best you can ever be. to get there, you need to first build the mold and base you will craft your art from

although now realising it, this is not the point of the article

shizz702
02-22-11, 8:40 pm

lol that wasn't directed towards you at all!

It was for the guys with 13" arms that think their arms are "lagging" and instead of paying their dues on a solid plan routine hop on all the latest trends looking for the quick fix.

Carrnage
02-22-11, 9:11 pm
lol that wasn't directed towards you at all!

It was for the guys with 13" arms that think their arms are "lagging" and instead of paying their dues on a solid plan routine hop on all the latest trends looking for the quick fix.

oh alright hahah, im really big on negatives and drop sets so i thought you were mocking me or something lol

Wycked
02-22-11, 11:00 pm
YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT!!!!!! wyk you doing the New York pro right? or Arnold?

i'm doing neither my friend. doing the arnold is something u need to be invited to and i'm not anywhere near worthy of even being considered lol. i'm gonna attempt to do one or 2 smaller shows and see how that goes. last years exprience @ the ny pro was an eye opener and i never want to feel as bad as i did after that show ever again.

i'm doing everything on my own this year with the exception of taking some advice from trusted no non sense sources. also this sport requires alot of $ and right now i'n just trying to get by

Wycked
02-22-11, 11:14 pm
a pro bodybuilder needs to adress his body specifics 100%.

an average trainee who never plans on stepping foot in a show does not. even a bodybuilder that is not up there yet does not need to adress lagging small details. people do not need more "inner / outer pecs when they weigh 200 lbs off season. they may need that when they are benching 400 for clean reps and compete at a high level. the goal is to be the best you can ever be. to get there, you need to first build the mold and base you will craft your art from

although now realising it, this is not the point of the article

there is no doubt that a "mold" or "base" is needed but to be better than everyone on stage if u ever plan on getting up there u must have bodyparts that set u apart. so yes someone that may compete who's @200lbs in the off season does need to worry about the asthetics of their physique. the simple advice of sticking to the basics has left many people with poorly developed areas of there body that had the trained them properly and with the right technique wouldn't have to be going back to the drawing board years later.

for example look @ your typical gym dude that loads up the leg press with retarded amounts of weigh and uses every fiber of his being to move it. sure he's moving it but then he stands up and his leg is under developed and sometimes non existant. why is this? because the weight is being displaced on the core of the body and more specifically the torso or hip region. more often than not that same dude has his hips pinned in the crack of the seat and his knees will slightly cave in as he lowers the weight and his body position is way too far forward. thus his hips stabilize the weight and knee he tweak is really only hitting the outer uper part of the quad and the depth he'll be able to go will stimulate little to no lower quad.
but hey he's got 2000lbs on there so its just a matter of time till they grow right?...... wrong, the overall developement of the leg will suffer but hey he'll always have a great upper outer quad literally one of the 4 areas of the quad.

prowrestler
02-22-11, 11:31 pm
there is no doubt that a "mold" or "base" is needed but to be better than everyone on stage if u ever plan on getting up there u must have bodyparts that set u apart. so yes someone that may compete who's @200lbs in the off season does need to worry about the asthetics of their physique. the simple advice of sticking to the basics has left many people with poorly developed areas of there body that had the trained them properly and with the right technique wouldn't have to be going back to the drawing board years later.

for example look @ your typical gym dude that loads up the leg press with retarded amounts of weigh and uses every fiber of his being to move it. sure he's moving it but then he stands up and his leg is under developed and sometimes non existant. why is this? because the weight is being displaced on the core of the body and more specifically the torso or hip region. more often than not that same dude has his hips pinned in the crack of the seat and his knees will slightly cave in as he lowers the weight and his body position is way too far forward. thus his hips stabilize the weight and knee he tweak is really only hitting the outer uper part of the quad and the depth he'll be able to go will stimulate little to no lower quad.
but hey he's got 2000lbs on there so its just a matter of time till they grow right?...... wrong, the overall developement of the leg will suffer but hey he'll always have a great upper outer quad literally one of the 4 areas of the quad.

your kinda confusing using piss poor form for building a base

NO ONE builds a base "looking' like they are strong. you gotta lift heavy weights in good form and actually feel the muscles working to get muscular.

it looks cool to load up a leg press and pretend to be strong, is another thing to squat 500 for 10 reps, have 30 inch thighs and BE strong

Carrnage
02-23-11, 1:20 am

NO ONE builds a base "looking' like they are strong. you gotta lift heavy weights in good form and actually feel the muscles working to get muscular.

it looks cool to load up a leg press and pretend to be strong, is another thing to squat 500 for 10 reps, have 30 inch thighs and BE strong

500 reps in general, or 500 deep ass reps? haha jk

Wycked
02-23-11, 12:50 pm

i think your missing my point bro. what i'm saying many people mistake being strong with being a good bodybuilder or having a great physique. and yes again i agree that lifting in good form is imparative but its not imparative that those weights be heavy. they should be heavy relative to your own capabilities and strength level. because u have great form on a 400lb bench does mean that it will remain good form the heavier u go. one must incrementally increase weight to further tear down muscle fascia but the same tearing down can be done squeezing out excess reps or extra sets and thus maintaining the integrity of the lift

prowrestler
02-23-11, 2:06 pm
i think your missing my point bro. what i'm saying many people mistake being strong with being a good bodybuilder or having a great physique. and yes again i agree that lifting in good form is imparative but its not imparative that those weights be heavy. they should be heavy relative to your own capabilities and strength level. because u have great form on a 400lb bench does mean that it will remain good form the heavier u go. one must incrementally increase weight to further tear down muscle fascia but the same tearing down can be done squeezing out excess reps or extra sets and thus maintaining the integrity of the lift

its about progression in some form or another, without effecting the form of your reps.

if i add 10lbs to my curl by using more momentum, did my biceps get stronger? no

Sprint
03-02-11, 11:24 am
Some fucking good posts in this thread.

Loving the comment that heavy is relative to the lifter.

Speaking as a personal trainer, it boils my piss seeing all the gimmicky shit my 'colleagues' are always getting their clients on, including changing things up every other workout.

Want results, the thing you have to change is monotony into consistency. Only then can you judge what's working for you & what isn't.