PDA

View Full Version : Arnold Expo/THE CAGE Survival Guide

Phil800101
02-23-11, 3:12 pm
Brothers and sisters, the madness that is The Cage is only 9 days away. Being that this is going to be my fifth year spent at The Cage, I thought I'd share some of the things that I've learned.

1.Buy your expo tickets online.

For one, it's now cheaper this year, and for two it will save you time. The line can get crazy-long, especially on Saturday. Plus, once you have your ticket all you have to do is get a wristband, which takes like three seconds.

2. Bring in food and water.

The expo center is hot and crowded, and you will get thirsty. Getting to a fountain or a concession stand can quite honestly be an ordeal, and while there normally is a water cooler in The Box, we're usually burning through almost as fast as I can slam a crave case of sliders...and that is fast. I recommend a gallon water jug with a handle. They're cheap, usually around a buck at the store, and you can refill it or just chuck it when it's empty.

Food at the expo center can be pricey. And again, the lines can get long and just getting somewhere can take quite some time with the crowds. And year after year it seems like the samples are getting fewer and smaller, so don't necessarily count on sustaining yourself on free stuff. On the plus side, you can bring in bags. Nothing beats a good old anabolic sandwich. Doesn't need refrigeration and it hits the spot.

3. Bring in a backpack.

Like I said, one of the great things about the expo is that you can bring in bags. It's a lot easier to carry all the cool Animal swag you pick up on your back then it is in a shopping bag, especially when it comes to navigating through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds. Plus, you can use this to carry your food and what not. And finally, it will give you that little extra space so you won't have some dude breathing on the back of your neck.

As for free bags, some of the booths hand out huge-ass bags that are great for carrying samples and what have you, and these come in handy. Some of them are pretty thick, so they hold up well. They can get heavy though, and it's a bitch to be weaving around people with one. So I usually just keep the samples in there and put the bigger stuff (shirts, etc) in my backpack.

4. Wear comfortable shoes.

You'll be standing and walking a lot. Duh.

5. Be ready for the crowds.

If you've never been, then you probably have no idea. Over 100,000 people come to the Expo, and I am not exaggerating when I say that it is literally a sea of people walking shoulder to shoulder. If there is something you want to see besides The Cage, go as early as possible. If you can make it on Friday, even better. The place fills up FAST and moving around gets to be a huge pain-in-the-ass, even on Friday. And popular stuff will sell out fast.

Hit up The Cage first thing, as the limited edition stuff goes quick. Hell, even the non limited-edition stuff moves like hotcakes. And from what I hear supplies of Rage will be somewhat limited, and I know that it is going to move quickly. Trust me. The Cage is the place to be, Animal is the shit, and everybody knows this.

6. The bathrooms.

They fucking smell.

Like I said, the Expo is one crowded place. And the bathrooms get pretty ripe. The staff bust their asses to do the best they can, but it is a Sisyphean endeavor to keep them clean. Plain and simple, they aren't. If you're a dude and you just have to take a quick piss, then it's not too bad. If you're going to drop a deuce, then my advice is to seek out one of the restrooms further away from the main hall. I myself have taken many an escalator ride to one of the upper floors to find a suitable throne.

As for the ladies, I have never been in those facilities, so I have no fucking idea what you may or may not be getting into. Sorry...

7. Bring cash

Most, if not all booths are cash only. There are ATMs, and if I recall correctly one bank has a booth where they have several set up. However, there are of course the dreaded ATM fees, not to mention potential lines, and as I already mentioned fighting the crowd in general. I have also seen several ATMs there run out of money, I shit you not. Save yourself the trouble and come with the greenbacks firmly in hand.
Well, that's about it. If you've been to The Cage before then this is probably old news to you. If this is going to be your first time going then I hope at least something in here will prove useful...and just know that you are in for the time of your life! Why do you think so many of us keep coming back?

See you all in Cbus!

smoothballer
02-23-11, 3:14 pm
Awesome Guide Phil! Couldn't be more true...

rev8ball
02-23-11, 3:19 pm
Great list!

I'm gonna add to it one thing:

Lots and lots of PATIENCE!

Your second bit of advice helps with this tremendously. And if you don't bring your own food, go outside the convention center to one of the local eateries; prices are alot better, and so is the food.

Universal Rep
02-23-11, 3:37 pm
Awesome thread brother... Anybody who is going ought to first read Big Byrd's article on this very same topic.

"The Arnold Survival Guide" (http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=430&section=)

"RULE #5: Bring a gas mask.
With tens of thousands of bodybuilders trying to meet their daily protein requirements and greedily sample every brand and flavor on display, the Arnold Expo can be a dangerous place for the unsuspecting observer. As the sample plates of protein bars dwindle, there is a corresponding increase in the level of the consumer's intestinal pressure. The result of this increased intestinal pressure from protein digestion overload is activation of the body's automatic pressure release valve and an ensuing stench more overpowering than that of a rotting corpse. There really should be Hazardous and Combustible Material warnings at every entrance. If someone lit a match, we would all be goners."

deanna7272
02-23-11, 3:45 pm
For the girls.... the bathrooms aren't that smelly, they are just crowded and it is at times difficult to get to a sink due to make up and hair touch ups....lol. Bring sanitizer!!

B.S.
02-23-11, 3:51 pm
went there last year.

was there in 09 you can read about it all you want
its something you have to experience yourself.

but thats was a great outline for first timers

Big C
02-23-11, 3:53 pm
Does anyone have a link for the expo tickets? Thanks in advance.

B.S.
02-23-11, 3:57 pm
Does anyone have a link for the expo tickets? Thanks in advance.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/050044C199898CBB

where i got mine

Jay
02-23-11, 7:37 pm
Excellent post! I wish I had this info the first time I went. Same goes for the Olympia too.

Phil800101
02-24-11, 1:43 am
Awesome Guide Phil! Couldn't be more true...

Great list!

I'm gonna add to it one thing:

Lots and lots of PATIENCE!

Your second bit of advice helps with this tremendously. And if you don't bring your own food, go outside the convention center to one of the local eateries; prices are alot better, and so is the food.

That is definitely true.

Awesome thread brother... Anybody who is going ought to first read Big Byrd's article on this very same topic.

"The Arnold Survival Guide" (http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=430&section=)

"RULE #5: Bring a gas mask.
With tens of thousands of bodybuilders trying to meet their daily protein requirements and greedily sample every brand and flavor on display, the Arnold Expo can be a dangerous place for the unsuspecting observer. As the sample plates of protein bars dwindle, there is a corresponding increase in the level of the consumer's intestinal pressure. The result of this increased intestinal pressure from protein digestion overload is activation of the body's automatic pressure release valve and an ensuing stench more overpowering than that of a rotting corpse. There really should be Hazardous and Combustible Material warnings at every entrance. If someone lit a match, we would all be goners."

Classic. I remember reading that article back when he wrote it and laughing my ass off.

For the girls.... the bathrooms aren't that smelly, they are just crowded and it is at times difficult to get to a sink due to make up and hair touch ups....lol. Bring sanitizer!!

Thanks for the assist Dee!

went there last year.

was there in 09 you can read about it all you want
its something you have to experience yourself.

but thats was a great outline for first timers

Excellent post! I wish I had this info the first time I went. Same goes for the Olympia too.

Thanks everybody! I'm glad people enjoyed it and/or got something out of it.

naturalguy
02-24-11, 8:22 am
That is good info Phil. Thanks for posting it

C.Coronato
02-24-11, 12:55 pm
A buddy of mine was planning on coming out to the Expo, but he is actually scheduled to have rotator cuff surgery on Wednesday, so he is not making it any more and he had some tickets he wanted to get rid of if anyone is interested.

He has:

2 Woman Amateur Prejudge
2 Men Amateur Prejudge
2 Mens Pro Prejudge

PM me with questions.

Razor
02-24-11, 2:34 pm
Nice guide there my man. Very true in every aspect.

Flash419
02-24-11, 9:03 pm
Just my addition.... as you walk around lots of vendors will offer you little shots of their energy / diet drinks.. DO NOT sample every one. After an hour or two you will be wired up tight for the rest of the day.. and if your sensitive to stims. It will not be a comfortable afternoon. Take in moderation.

Thunder Chicken
02-24-11, 9:57 pm
its so bad i basically have been planning who will be with me, what i am taking to eat, what i am going to do, its damn near nuts!!!!!!

Phil800101
02-25-11, 4:01 am
That is good info Phil. Thanks for posting it

Thanks my man! No problem, I remember my first year in 2007, totally unprepared...

Nice guide there my man. Very true in every aspect.

Thanks bro! Just trying to spread what I know and help out.

Just my addition.... as you walk around lots of vendors will offer you little shots of their energy / diet drinks.. DO NOT sample every one. After an hour or two you will be wired up tight for the rest of the day.. and if your sensitive to stims. It will not be a comfortable afternoon. Take in moderation.

Good point brother. And if you sample alot of the protein shakes/drinks you can find your stomach pretty damn upset too...all those flavors and formulas sloshing around.

its so bad i basically have been planning who will be with me, what i am taking to eat, what i am going to do, its damn near nuts!!!!!!

Saturday is lunacy, and surprisingly Friday last year was nuts as well. Normally Friday is more low-key, at least for most of the day.

Vinny G
02-25-11, 3:00 pm
Brothers and sisters, the madness that is The Cage is only 9 days away. Being that this is going to be my fifth year spent at The Cage, I thought I'd share some of the things that I've learned.

For one, it's now cheaper this year, and for two it will save you time. The line can get crazy-long, especially on Saturday. Plus, once you have your ticket all you have to do is get a wristband, which takes like three seconds.

The expo center is hot and crowded, and you will get thirsty. Getting to a fountain or a concession stand can quite honestly be an ordeal, and while there normally is a water cooler in The Box, we're usually burning through almost as fast as I can slam a crave case of sliders...and that is fast. I recommend a gallon water jug with a handle. They're cheap, usually around a buck at the store, and you can refill it or just chuck it when it's empty.

Food at the expo center can be pricey. And again, the lines can get long and just getting somewhere can take quite some time with the crowds. And year after year it seems like the samples are getting fewer and smaller, so don't necessarily count on sustaining yourself on free stuff. On the plus side, you can bring in bags. Nothing beats a good old anabolic sandwich. Doesn't need refrigeration and it hits the spot.

3. Bring in a backpack.

Like I said, one of the great things about the expo is that you can bring in bags. It's a lot easier to carry all the cool Animal swag you pick up on your back then it is in a shopping bag, especially when it comes to navigating through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds. Plus, you can use this to carry your food and what not. And finally, it will give you that little extra space so you won't have some dude breathing on the back of your neck.

As for free bags, some of the booths hand out huge-ass bags that are great for carrying samples and what have you, and these come in handy. Some of them are pretty thick, so they hold up well. They can get heavy though, and it's a bitch to be weaving around people with one. So I usually just keep the samples in there and put the bigger stuff (shirts, etc) in my backpack.

If you've never been, then you probably have no idea. Over 100,000 people come to the Expo, and I am not exaggerating when I say that it is literally a sea of people walking shoulder to shoulder. If there is something you want to see besides The Cage, go as early as possible. If you can make it on Friday, even better. The place fills up FAST and moving around gets to be a huge pain-in-the-ass, even on Friday. And popular stuff will sell out fast.

Hit up The Cage first thing, as the limited edition stuff goes quick. Hell, even the non limited-edition stuff moves like hotcakes. And from what I hear supplies of Rage will be somewhat limited, and I know that it is going to move quickly. Trust me. The Cage is the place to be, Animal is the shit, and everybody knows this.

6. The bathrooms.

They fucking smell.

Like I said, the Expo is one crowded place. And the bathrooms get pretty ripe. The staff bust their asses to do the best they can, but it is a Sisyphean endeavor to keep them clean. Plain and simple, they aren't. If you're a dude and you just have to take a quick piss, then it's not too bad. If you're going to drop a deuce, then my advice is to seek out one of the restrooms further away from the main hall. I myself have taken many an escalator ride to one of the upper floors to find a suitable throne.

As for the ladies, I have never been in those facilities, so I have no fucking idea what you may or may not be getting into. Sorry...

7. Bring cash

Most, if not all booths are cash only. There are ATMs, and if I recall correctly one bank has a booth where they have several set up. However, there are of course the dreaded ATM fees, not to mention potential lines, and as I already mentioned fighting the crowd in general. I have also seen several ATMs there run out of money, I shit you not. Save yourself the trouble and come with the greenbacks firmly in hand.
Well, that's about it. If you've been to The Cage before then this is probably old news to you. If this is going to be your first time going then I hope at least something in here will prove useful...and just know that you are in for the time of your life! Why do you think so many of us keep coming back?

See you all in Cbus!

8- Vinny G is the MC and will call you out...lol

Phil800101
02-25-11, 3:08 pm

Lol, you do it like no other..."The Lip." Wouldn't be a true Cage without ya.

Mr. Dead
02-25-11, 3:23 pm

Lol, you do it like no other..."The Lip." Wouldn't be a true Cage without ya.

Truth... He called me out, as soon as I showed up, last year...

BringTheCarnage
02-28-11, 4:14 am
awesome advise! My first trip to the Arnold and I didnt think about any of this! Thanks!

Phil800101
02-28-11, 5:00 am
awesome advise! My first trip to the Arnold and I didnt think about any of this! Thanks!

Sure thing, glad I could be of help!

tom70
02-28-11, 2:18 pm
Awesome write up. This is my second trip to the Arnold's, and I can't wait to check out the cage!

Phil800101
03-01-11, 2:15 am
Awesome write up. This is my second trip to the Arnold's, and I can't wait to check out the cage!

Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it! The Cage is the place to be, simply amazing.

tom70
03-01-11, 8:05 am
Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it! The Cage is the place to be, simply amazing.

That is for sure. I loved it the last time I went, but I'll be spending a lot more time at the cage this year.

belladiabla13
03-01-11, 8:38 am
I would like to add bring warm clothes. Its cold here this time of year. You will need a jacket for getting you in and out of the Expo Center and around town. Once your in, its hot as hell. Some a comfy t-shirt.

3. Bring in a backpack.

6. The bathrooms.

They fucking smell.

7. Bring cash

See you all in Cbus!

Big Byrd
03-01-11, 11:34 am
Dont forget to pack ur RED ANIMAL SHIRT to get in the Cage on saturday. See u guys there! im pumped