PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Running and Lifting

rockyIV
02-24-11, 8:24 am
Sup guys...

Have any of you successfully incorporated long distance running, or any other endurance sport, into lifting? My biggest problem is training legs and running. If I train legs heavy I'm shot for 4 days of soreness and when running that isn't good and can lead to injury in a hurry. I'm training for marathon

C.Coronato
02-24-11, 9:21 am
If your training for a marathon, i would say that should be number one priority. Keep the weights in more of a circuit type training to get your muscular endurance up.

MojoMike36
02-26-11, 2:49 am
I dealt with the same thing while getting ready to make the transition from attack to middie for lacrosse. I did a lot of distance running to get used to be constantly winded.

I did train legs throughout. The best option would be fight through the soreness until your body gets used to the strain. If you train legs religiously the soreness you get in the days following training will be less and less in accordance with consistency.

The other option is

3 sets of Squats, 3 sets of BB SLDL and call it a day. You shouldn't be too sore after that. If you are you've got bigger or I guess I should say "smaller" problems

Edit: also try biking after leg training. I feel a nice easy ride on the stationary bike flushes out my legs and saves me a bit of soreness.

GUNS
02-28-11, 4:17 am
Depending on your goals like C said, but Im military, I train the shit out of my legs, and still have to run a few miles 3 times a week. I honestly put my routine together around when my legs fall. So I do legs the night before an PT session. They feel tired, but not sore yet. Then I run 2 days later. And I am extremely sore. But I have noticed adding in some Amino's has helped with the soreness and running the morning after legs has somewhat helped as well. I think running makes the blood flow better and feeds the muscles a little to help.

Deathride
02-28-11, 8:39 pm
On a slight side diversion.....as someone who likes to incorporate his cardio around his powerlifting (my main goal), do people think that distance running / jogging has its place? I currently use short burst cardio or weight circuits to get the blood pumping but do so in a fairly random way to keep it interesting (sometimes using a dice or a coin!) and if one of those options is a jog for 2-3 miles, so be it!

mdh84
03-01-11, 11:38 pm
I ran a marathon a few years back. I definitely didn't make the marathon training my #1 priority(looking back I wish I would have), but at the time my strength and my bodyweight were both as high as they had previously been. I was happy with that part. If you want good results with the marathon I would focus more on that for the time being. As long as you're eating and still lifting, you shouldn't lose too much muscle if any. My 2 cents.