PDA

View Full Version : Hack Squat Advice

auburn_1984
02-25-11, 1:02 am
How does a person do the hack squat if there local gym got rid of there hack squat machine? I have been looking into the smith hack squat but there is so many videos showing different variants to the "smith hack squat" and i wanted to make sure i was doing it right.

zubda345
02-25-11, 6:59 am
I would go for parallel squats...

Hollow
02-25-11, 8:01 am
Use a barbell. In a nutshell, you are performing a deadlift except the barbell is behind you.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html

Survivor831
02-25-11, 8:48 am
Use a barbell. In a nutshell, you are performing a deadlift except the barbell is behind you.

I have done these before and I can say that they do work. You might even want to elevate your heels by standing on ten pound plates. It helps to target the area around the knee

auburn_1984
02-25-11, 3:37 pm
Thanks for the video. That is one of the ones i saw mainly and planned on doing it with a smith machine to keep from losing my balance.

Carrnage
02-25-11, 5:45 pm
How does a person do the hack squat if there local gym got rid of there hack squat machine? I have been looking into the smith hack squat but there is so many videos showing different variants to the "smith hack squat" and i wanted to make sure i was doing it right.

there is no right "one way" to do things, you gota find what you feel, everyone has different bone structure, lengths so all of our forms will be different, gota experiment with everything, asking us, we dont know the answer, we arnt you

Amen.

Wycked
02-26-11, 4:09 pm
if the use of the hack squat is for the desired purpose of hitting that deep stretch and targeting the lower quad or tear drop region then a smith machine will be all u need. it has to do with foot placement and distance. the smith machine allows u to place your feet out in front of u and drop down with a perfectly straight back there for pushing the knees forward at the beginning of the movement and really placing a strain and stretch on the tear drop area. don't originate the sequence of your squatting movement by dropping your ass or hips instead slowly push the knees forward and allow your hips to naturally drop straight down.
keep the weight moderate to begin with and remember since your feet are slighty out in front of u your body weight should be leaning back against the bar just like a movement of a regular hack . if it helps look up @ the ceiling . if your head is up so will your chest and sternum therefore no back strain

Big Bay
03-01-11, 1:19 am

Yes. I have had excellent results ever since I started incorporating more hack squats into my leg routine.

tyciol
03-01-11, 1:39 am
I just wonder why we don't call it the rear deadlift. Like yeah it's involves squatting, but then so does the front deadlift.