PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Potatoes in Mass

TheWolf
03-01-11, 11:12 pm
Any way particular you guys make them in mass... oven, boil them, microwave. I'm right about to begin contest prep so saving time in kitchen would greatly help.
Thanks
#teamwolf

Wycked
03-01-11, 11:47 pm
Any way particular you guys make them in mass... oven, boil them, microwave. I'm right about to begin contest prep so saving time in kitchen would greatly help.
Thanks
#teamwolf

I usually chop up the potato into a million pieces spread it over a plate , dump cinnamon on it and cook it in the microwave for 8mins. They come out with a moist inner texture but a dried out outer shell. I can't stand the texture of over cooked sweet potatoes so this works for me

Sandman
03-02-11, 12:19 am
Cut 'em into cubes and boil them in a big pot. Done.

auburn_1984
03-02-11, 10:33 am
I usually just boil them then mash them up to make mash sweet potatoes. If i have time and not in rush i will cut into fries and bake them.

Jay
03-02-11, 11:56 am
I love sweet potatos. WalMart has sweet potatoes that are wrapping in plastic and pre washed. Throw em in the micro for like 7 minutes and they are all set to go. At a buck a piece, I buy a few of them for work each night.

Big C
03-02-11, 12:45 pm
I usually chop up the potato into a million pieces spread it over a plate , dump cinnamon on it and cook it in the microwave for 8mins. They come out with a moist inner texture but a dried out outer shell. I can't stand the texture of over cooked sweet potatoes so this works for me

Trying this method as I type this. Sounds good.

I usually just throw a bunch in a crock pot overnight and then heat em up when I need one.

C.Coronato
03-02-11, 1:20 pm
You can boil them thats fine. You can also just cut them into cubes and you can bake them. I did a video where i made baked fries, those came out good as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBdOTys7KAE

ToSo
03-02-11, 1:20 pm
Check out CCoronato's video on Universalusa.com hes got it down. Sweet potato fries.

stanzione
05-10-11, 6:03 pm
When i do mass amounts i boil them in a very large pot, but normaly i cut slots in them and microwave them 3 or 4 at a time till their soft

-Joe-

LegendKillerJosh
05-10-11, 9:25 pm
I do em similar to Wyck, I dice them into smaller cubes, boil them til they are soft (about 10 mins), then spread them out on a baking sheet and spray them with 0 cal butter spray, sprinkle em with whatever seasonings you like (garlic and pepper are good or brown sugar if you don't mind extra calories) and bake them for 10 mins. This way they are soft inside but crispy outside.

GUNS
05-11-11, 7:39 am
Brother, don't even cook them. Eat em raw. I cut them into lengths like carrot sticks. Put them in the fridge to get them super cold. Then eat them with meals or as a snack. I love them this way and think they are more of a treat than anything. Try them, I promise you will love em.

Aggression
05-11-11, 8:28 am
I bake 'em. Set the oven to 350. Put a layer of foil down and then just place 'em on the foil. I usually bake 'em for about 70min and they're good to go. Doing it this way enables you to cook a lot at once. I typically cook a week's worth in one shot.

MRmichael.hooker
05-11-11, 9:53 am
I bake 'em. Set the oven to 350. Put a layer of foil down and then just place 'em on the foil. I usually bake 'em for about 70min and they're good to go. Doing it this way enables you to cook a lot at once. I typically cook a week's worth in one shot.

Do they dry out? Seems like when I make my carbs in advance, they tend to get extremely dry.

Aggression
05-11-11, 9:56 am
Do they dry out? Seems like when I make my carbs in advance, they tend to get extremely dry.

Absolutely not. In fact, they tend to stay real moist. I cook 'em as is and then throw them in a zip lock. When I need to eat 'em, I just peel the skin off at that point and microwave them. The skin just slides right off.

Cstlfx
05-13-11, 1:49 am
I mash mine. Little bit of splenda and cinnamon, just great.

Bruiser
05-13-11, 8:25 am
Brother, don't even cook them. Eat em raw. I cut them into lengths like carrot sticks. Put them in the fridge to get them super cold. Then eat them with meals or as a snack. I love them this way and think they are more of a treat than anything. Try them, I promise you will love em.

I never thought about this. It sounds good. I've always eaten regular potatoes raw. I slice them up and sprinkle them with cajun or garlic and eat them like... well... potato chips. I'm dying to try the raw sweet potatoes now. Thanks Guns

dannynb
05-13-11, 9:03 am
I'm like most...just POP in the microwave. Or boil them and make mashed potatoes.

GUNS
05-13-11, 9:27 am
I never thought about this. It sounds good. I've always eaten regular potatoes raw. I slice them up and sprinkle them with cajun or garlic and eat them like... well... potato chips. I'm dying to try the raw sweet potatoes now. Thanks Guns

Yeah I eat regular potatoes raw sometimes. The sweet potatoes are really a treat raw.

rev8ball
05-13-11, 10:22 am
BBQ 'em... Unbelievable taste!