PDA

View Full Version : Pros vs Pros "Bench Your Bodyweight" (Powerlifters)

Animal Rep
03-02-11, 4:20 pm
Big Byrd v Powerswitch

Two very successful power lifters, going head to head for as many reps as they can do.

Should/Could get interesting.

Saturday 10am

Who will come out on top?

smoothballer
03-02-11, 5:03 pm
Gonna be a sight to see...

naturalguy
03-02-11, 9:09 pm
That is a sick match up

C.Coronato
03-03-11, 10:43 am
This will be an insane match up thats for sure. Two big dudes hitting reps.

Big Byrd
03-07-11, 4:26 pm
more like to powerlifters forced out of their comfort zone to do cardio (Cardio = Anything over 6 reps)! haha

I had fun and did a lot better than i expected; 27 reps with 240. BTW, I still cant believe I finally got up to 240!

Ragin Asian
03-07-11, 9:04 pm
more like to powerlifters forced out of their comfort zone to do cardio (Cardio = Anything over 6 reps)! haha

I had fun and did a lot better than i expected; 27 reps with 240. BTW, I still cant believe I finally got up to 240!

Exactly!!!! Bobby (Powerswitch) feels the same way. He wishes he could have gotten more reps in but it's just not the way we train, so endurance is different than what bodybuilders are more accustomed to doing. Sorta like expecting a sprinter to do a marathon or other way around. Just because they both run, does not mean they'll both excel in the other. However, it is a breath of fresh air to have that kind of competition for us because it gives us the opportunity and motivation to work on what we feel is lacking. I bet you anything, next year, if Sam and Bobby were to do it again, both their rep numbers would be in the 40's and 50's - only because it's in their nature to want to do more and better.

Sam, I always thought you looked more in the 250 to 260 range in bodyweight, you look so jacked! Funny how we perceive ourselves in weight compared to what others see. LOL!! It was great seeing you again and always enjoy hanging out with you - so glad that you made it and we got to hang out. We'll be seeing you again in June!

I also want to point out to the rest of the Animals that both Big Byrd and Powerswitch are veteran powerlifters who have had to recover, rebuild, and come back from shoulder surgery (along with many other injuries) after being told that they would never bench again or never be able to bench heavy if lucky. Good majority of athletes either change sports or change roles from competitive athlete to something else that would keep them active in the sport in some capacity (like coach, judge or meet director) once they've experienced "career ending" injuries like these two. These two are exceptions and never give up - they don't even know what that means. We all go through injuries in our sports and work through them, but it's rare to have athletes who come back from career ending ones and still push the envelope. I hope all the Animals understand the dedication and strive to do the same for their own goals and dreams.