PDA

View Full Version : Tiff's Struggling and Needing your help.

Tifferzzz
03-03-11, 1:32 pm
Just when I got into the swing of things (as you can see in my journal thread), I got knocked to my knees with a Sinus infection that exploded into Bronchitis. I haven't been in the gym in two weeks and everytime I try to do a bit of cardio, my respiratory system starts a coughing fit that won't cease.

Last week I ended up in the ER because I couldn't breathe, but after some treatments and antibiotics I am completely fine EXCEPT for this damned cough.

I must have gained at least the three pounds that I fought to loose. My stomach has gotten soft - it's completely pissed me off - and I can't seem to kick this cough that I've been told can last for a few weeks. Well - I can't take a few weeks off from the gym - it'll turn me into a lump-o-lard.

As you can tell I am seriously pissed about this.

My question that I need help with: Is it possible to do beneficial fat-burning cardio without dramatically increasing the need for oxygen / respiration? This may sound idiotic - but I need to workout and if I increase my breathing too much then I start coughing. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Crematia
03-03-11, 5:04 pm
Maybe ask your doctor for a rescue inhaler to use temporarily until you are 100% better. I use Ventolin daily (I have asthma) and Advair while I have bronchitis if it's bad. Hope you are back into the swing of things soon.

Back To Basics
03-03-11, 5:14 pm
Hmm thats bad to hear bro, you could do light cardio around 120-130 pbm and see how that go just monitor it constantly and keep it low intensity - just give it a go and breath slowly through your nose, it might not seem like the cardio is doing much but your metabolism will get a kick start.

I would personally advise you to just get better and heal 100%, IMO if your body is telling you it can't do exercise and you end up pushing it more damage can be done man. You might have put some pounds back on or water weight possibly if your sick you most likely drinking even more water and your not really losing too much sodium through exercise so the too together can equal some water retention. Would you rather put on 2 pounds of water or be sick for another week, the choice is yours. If your going to do cardio it has to be light yeah?

Tifferzzz
03-03-11, 5:24 pm
I have an over-the-counter inhaler that I bought that's straight epinephrine, but it's not wheezing or the inability to breathe. In fact I have full lung capacity - but - when my respiration increases (I've always had issues with Exercise-Induced Asthma) then the coughing kicks in and I get bad bronchial spasms and can't stop coughing. I'm in a crappy balance between cutting my calories below 1200 (I have hormone issues that kill my ability to lose weight) and not exercising.

So - is there any way of exercising to burn fat without dramatically increasing respiration and suffering a bout of coughing issues - especially in the cold weather?

Tifferzzz
03-03-11, 5:27 pm
Basics: Thanks for the help. I had posted that last post before I saw that you had responded. Call it the athlete in me that hates being fat. :)

Cellardweller
03-03-11, 5:38 pm
Can you power walk on an incline? How's it go lifting? You can do higher reps if you can tolerate it.