PDA

View Full Version : Building a home gym...

Imjorman
03-03-11, 10:46 pm
Hey all, this summer I wanna build a home gym, but I need some help: I don't know what all I actually need. I understand that I need a few basics like: barbell, bench, squat rack, 8(ish) 45's until I get stronger, and a smattering of dumbbells.

Anything else essential?

RK
03-04-11, 12:04 am
my basement gym right now has an adjustable powerrack and bench (squats/deads/bench) a high/low cable and a basic trainer. i would highly suggest the basic trainer, dips/chins are the bread and butter for everything other than BB movements. heres a link, im sure u could find a much cheaper one online

http://www.powertecfitness.com/features.php?id=basic-trainer

Imjorman
03-04-11, 8:26 am
Have you found that your home gym has, in the long run, saved you money on gym fees?

ToSo
03-04-11, 8:55 am
Hey all, this summer I wanna build a home gym, but I need some help: I don't know what all I actually need. I understand that I need a few basics like: barbell, bench, squat rack, 8(ish) 45's until I get stronger, and a smattering of dumbbells.

Anything else essential?

High/low cable pull, and a pull up bar. Definitely get 'something" to do dips on. I say something because you can use anything to do dips. I used to go between my washer and dryer in my basement and do dips like crazy, trust me it worked!

RK
03-04-11, 2:11 pm
Have you found that your home gym has, in the long run, saved you money on gym fees?

The equipment has been purchased over many many years. it has definitely paid for itself but most the time i belonged to a gym also. on days like leg day your routine can really get static.

MELTDOWN
03-05-11, 12:36 pm

IMO, definately. I have a universal gym I got from the local "ftiness box" when they changed owners. stole it for $250, just had to load and haul it myself. Bought it back in 2009 and it sits beside my Weider "Cross Bow". Got the Crossbow in 1999 after a near fatal motorcycle road racing accident and my physical therapist suggested it to keep stress off my joints while rehabbing. It's good for a quick pump or just changing up the routine. Only thing i added was a dip rack and ab bench. I still use my old flat bench and barbell along with all the dumbells I've gotten over the years.
Hit some yard sales too, it's amazing what iron you can walk away with for $50

Menace
03-06-11, 11:29 am
I love training at home, I find that it's much easier to walk to the basement than it is to get my shit packed up and head to the gym. As for saving money, i don't think its saved me any money, just aggravation.

Right now I have a PowerTec power rack, a Body Solid power rack, adjustable bench, pec deck, lat pull-down w/low row(w/all types of handles, bars, attachments), seated calf raise, 700lbs in plates, threaded dumbbell handles that can hold 115lbs each. various bars. It's a work in progress, always looking to add more to the gym.

Get yourself a good power rack and a good bench and you can do a ton with it. I started with a rack a bench and 300lb weight set and i just keep adding things as i go.

Menace

Cellardweller
03-06-11, 12:42 pm
The cellar gym rocks. I think over the years it has paid for itself several times. I've had to get a new bench once because the welds holding the bench to the rack broke. I took that opportunity to upgrade to a power rack with a removable bench. It has a high and low pully. I could use another 100lbs of olympic weights right now, but I have a ton of standard ones to put on dumbells. I also have a gym quality preacher station. Loved working out at home. You control whats on the box and how loud and crazy you want it. I outgrew a couple things and sometimes it's nice to be in the gym environment seeing other people getting it done. I have an entire wall covered in Animal quotes to fire me up between sets. I've tacked the lids to Animal cans to the ceiling joyces and a shelf full of my suppliments. I just wish I had more space.