PDA

View Full Version : Phil's Cage Experience

Phil800101
03-07-11, 8:41 pm
A Little Background

This is reposted and expanded from my journey thread. I know it's long, but I am a thorough (and sometimes long-winded) guy, and I feel that I would be doing a disservice by not giving the most complete picture possible while still keeping it from getting too tedious. At least I hope so anyway.

Day -1

Got up bright and early, packed up, and the four horsemen from Chicago headed out. We made good time, stopped once to eat and then again for gas. Got into Cbus, checked in, hooked up with ghost, and then hit the store. Wolfed down some food and off to the gym to train.

Saw a lot of familiar faces at the gym...it was damn good to be home. Went around and said hi while waiting for my supps to kick in. I was running on fumes at this point, as I had slept like shit the night before thanks to excitement...what can I say, I'm like a kid at Christmas when it comes to this. Sucked it up and hit it as hard as I could. Beat the shit outta my chest with Enforcer guiding the way, went to beyond failure on everything. Didn't write anything down, but I did hit 225 x 2 on incline bench which is a PR for me. Much credit to my man Big E for pushing me, and to Madcat and Bill as well for the encouragement and spots.

Hungry as hell at this point. As we were running a little but behind everyone else who had already split, Standing_Guard, Razor, G-Diesel, Enforcer and myself crammed into my car to drive over to BD's after the gym for a PWO meal. Back seat was definitely tight by the looks of things, but it beat walking and we managed to get there just mere seconds ahead of the rest of the group and find a primo space (props to SG for making that U-turn and nabbing the spot). There were Animals all over the place. One look around the grill and it was a veritable who's who of the Animal Crew and Forvm members. More rolled in as the night wore on. The food really hit the spot. Good food with good company. Headed back to the hotel after that, showered and got ready for the next day.

Day 1

Slept lousy again, just too damn excited. Got up early and headed out to Home Depot with Razor to pick up some plastic sheeting that was needed at The Cage. Got back to the hotel, ate, and then headed into town. Parked and walked through the rain to the expo hall. Anxiously waited with the masses until the gates were opened. Finally! Hoofed it straight for The Cage...

As I was hauling ass down an aisle, someone grabbed me from behind. I turned around and it was Byrd! We squashed the beef and then shot the shit a bit as we headed to The Cage...it looked sick as hell! Truly the best ser-up yet. I made a round and said hi to some people, grabbed myself some swag, and of course some RAGE!! Got situated and then roamed the floor with Nix0r. We saw the sights, grabbed some free shit, and said hi to some familiar faces at the various booths. Went back to The Cage to watch some deadlifts, then we headed back out (this time with Razor as well) to check out the rest of the expo. Got stopped by the blockade in preparation for Arnold, so we turned around. This was fortuitous though as Nix0r spotted Ed Coan. We said hi and got some photos. When we told him we were from Chicago, he told us we should stop by where he trains sometime...very cool! Went back to The Cage in time for the charity event.

From my perspective, it was hard to see, but Vinny G on the mic made it easier. The Animal crew fought valiantly but came up about 8 reps short. All for a great cause though. Next up were some great seminars. Vinny G gave us all some valuable personal insight on the importance of dedication and what it really means. Next up Big Al and Wycked talked about adding quality size, and what works for them in this regard. Really goes to show how individual and personal the iron game really is, and that what works for one guy doesn't work for the next. Kolb then put on a sick demo, benching 800. Impressive to say the least. After this we just hung around at The Cage until they literally kicked us out, lol.

We headed to the gym, and I was fucking gassed by this point. Popped my Rage and got ready. Hit shoulders with the same crew from Thursday, another awesome session! Gym was packed and hot as hell, but we made do and got it done. I was so fucking sore afterwards it wasn't even funny. As for the Rage, it didn't get me all jacked up per se, but it definitely helped me shake my foggy head. I was much more alert and think that it most certainly helped me overcame my exhaustion to be able to get in a sick workout. I think I'll really notice it when I'm taking it while well rested with a clear head.

Afterward a bunch of us headed to Max and Erma's with some of the Animal Crew and people from here on the Forvm. Sat at a nice big round table with Vinny G, Brad Rowe, Big D, ghost, Nix0r, Razor, Standing_Guard, Dannynb and Michi. All of us were named Vinny, except for Flower (Razor), lol. Aggression, C Coronato, and Enforcer rolled in right after us and were seated right off to our side at their own table. There was a prime rib special on the menu...score! Great food and great times with great people. Had a lot of laughs, and some serious discussion as well...but mostly laughs. And the cookies were downright amazing! Afterwards we headed back to the hotel and you know the deal.

Day 2

Once again I slept like complete ass. After about two hours of solid sleep I was tossing and turning. Finally about an hour before the alarm was set to go off I said fuck it and got up. Got ready, ate, and then we headed over to ghost's hotel to load up some supplies. We all piled into the van and rolled out. After dropping off ghost we went and parked, then headed in. Nix0r and I were tasked to make a run for some needed batteries, so we hoofed it in the rain to the nearest CVS...which was closed. Anyway, we conferred with ghost regarding the necessity of said batteries, as we wanted to be sure before we would drive anywhere. He said they could make do without them, so we hauled ass back to The Cage.

The rest of the day is a blur more or less. Had a bad ass time and only left when I needed to take a piss. Demos were amazing and the seminars were fantastic. Shot some vids of the pros versus bros bench your bodyweight contest, which I will post up later. Stan "The Rhino" Efferding kicked some serious ass with the incline dumbbells. Rage in The Cage was awesome...I'm not a very outwardly-emotional guy, but I am not ashamed to admit that I got a little misty-eyed when we observed the moment of silence for Nick Winters...his presence was really missed this year for sure. Free can of Rage was a very welcome surprise! So cool.

Tiny then put on an amazing bench demo, putting up over a grand with bands...twice! Really impressive. Things calmed down for a bit, and then Byrd gave a seminar about the squat. Now Byrd normally puts on a killer demo, usually my favorite, but he is coming back from a torn quad and couldn't squat. For a man who says he doesn't like public speaking, Byrd gave a really great seminar. No bullshit, I probably learned more from that seminar (in regards to technical aspects of lifting) than any other one I've ever been to. Good stuff.

After that it was time for what is always my favorite seminar...Train Like an Animal with G Diesel and Wrath. Everything in The Cage is badass, but what makes this seminar special in my opinion is how it manages to transcend the nuts and bolts of the lifestyle and tie the iron game into life in general. I Got a shout-out from G Diesel for having attended every single Train Like an Animal seminar, which was really cool.

Next up was The House, spitting out some great wisdom as always. This time it was about what "you are your maker" really means. Great stuff. After that we stuck around for a bit, and then we headed out to the van rest up for the national ABC. I was beyond exhausted to say the least. After he was done at The Cage, ghost arrived and we carried in all the supplies. To say that the gym was packed is an understatement.

Hit arms with the same crew, with Big C jumping in with us for some bicep work. Katie (sorry, I didn't catch your Forvm name...) jumped in as well for a total of six of us. C split off after awhile, and towards the end we split into two groups for the sake of efficiency...we were all fucking starving and wanted to get done so we could eat, lol. After completely destroying my arms, I loaded up a plate with the fantastic grub. Wolfed that down almost too fast, and then made my rounds just shooting the shit with people and extolling the deliciousness of the greens that were on the menu to the uninitiated...seriously, if you didn't have them you missed out!

After awhile the T-Shirts were handed out and we crowded together for the annual ABC photo. I can still hear Enforcer doing his Pauly D impression from atop the one press machine to rally the troops, lol. I milled around some more and got a chance to catch up on things with G Diesel for a bit which was cool. Right after that we hit the road. Got back to the hotel, cleaned up, and then packed up as much as we could. After a little bit of time on the computer I climbed into bed and straight passed the fuck out.

Day 3

What the hell? I actually got some sleep. About 6-7 hours, I felt like a new man. Still woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a bus...a Cbus perhaps? Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Anyway, packed up the car and had some breakfast. Rolled into town, parked, and walked to the Expo. While waiting to get in we discussed the supernatural powers of Sam Byrd's steely-eyed gaze...more on that at a later date, lol.

Soon enough the gates were opened. Headed to The Cage, and ghost put me to work manning the far side of the booth with C Coronato and Chris B. Wasn't too busy, as we were pretty much wiped out. Still, I was moving product, answering questions, and when time allowed shooting the shit with the guys. Things changed though when Ox made his way over to meet and greet his fans. Coming off an incredible top five placing at the Arnold, the man was clearly exhausted. But that did not stop him one bit as he shook hands, signed posters and shirts, shot the shit, and posed for pictures with his fans. Pretty soon a solid line formed. A couple of times Big Al popped out and with a starstruck look on his face would squeal out "Evan Centopani!!!" and then disappear. Al is one of the funniest men around, and it wouldn't be a Cage without him. Naturalguy popped out and worked down the line passing out samples of Rage to those waiting to see Ox. I was selling shirts and talking with people, and I can honestly say that many were surprised to learn that it wasn't going to cost them anything.

After awhile Ox popped back into The Cage itself to give his seminar. He talked for quite some time and from the looks of things had one hell of a q & a with everyone. I missed this, along with the other seminars and demos. No worries though, I was honored to be able to rep Animal and help out. Besides, my working probably allowed someone to catch a seminar or a demo who was working on Friday or Saturday when I was in The Cage itself watching things. I worked until close, moving around a little bit as the day wore on but generally gravitating back to the shop area. I only left once or twice to take a quick piss and then it was right back to The Cage. Before long it was time to pack up and head home. I helped clean up a bit as things wound down. We all said our goodbyes and were soon on our separate ways. By the time we got home I could hardly see straight and my voice was gone, but it was all worth it.

Closing Thoughts

First and foremost, thank you thank you thank you to everyone at Animal/Universal. You guys are simply amazing. Thank you for all that you do for all of us out there. I know that there is a shit ton of hard work that goes into all of this, and I think I speak for all of the fans out there when I say that we cannot thank you enough. The Cage is far and above the best booth at the expo...amazing demos/seminars, and a level of interaction and accessibility that is unmatched. And of course the special events like the National ABC and Rage in The Cage. I think Vinny put it best when he said that Animal/Universal is more than a brand, it really is a family.

2011 was probably the best one yet for me. I have been coming to The Cage since 2007, and starting in 2008 I came and stayed at The Cage for more or less the whole weekend. I was fortunate enough to be selected to work both last year and this year, and for that I am truly grateful. I remember my first year thinking how cool it would be to just work out in the same gym as the Animal crew...little did I know that a few years later we would be on a first-name basis, and that my original wish would be exceeded and I would ultimately end up getting to work alongside everyone as a part of the crew. To say that it is an honor and a privilege for me to be able to do so is an understatement. I honestly cannot say thank you enough for this opportunity.

I loved every minute of this long weekend. Seriously, everything was awesome. But I think above everything else, what I loved the most were the little moments where I got to hang out with people and just bullshit. Whether at The Cage itself, the gym, or sharing a meal, those are the moments that I value the most. I think this goes with what Vinny said about being a family, because that is what it feels like. Each year I get to know people from the crew a little better, and find myself to be a little more comfortable around them then I was before. I think this is the first year where I really felt like I knew everybody, even the people I was meeting for the first time. Because of this I was always just a little bit reserved, but this year there was none of that and I felt like I could really just relax and be myself completely all of the time. I've always felt like that with the other members of the Forvm, but with the crew it was always just a bit different...not anymore.

It's only been a day, but I already miss my Animal family. It is good to be home though. Needless to say, I cannot wait for next year...

Phil800101
03-07-11, 9:04 pm
I didn't mention too many people by name, as there are just too many to mention and I didn't want to leave anyone out. So, I just wanted to say that it was great to see everyone again, and cool as always to meet people for the first time! Putting names to faces is one of the best things about The Cage, and it is awesome to just get to see and/or meet the brothers and sisters from the Forvm and the Animal/Universal crew in person. If you saw me and I didn't say hi or talk to ya I do truly apologize...just grab me next time, lol.

Madcat
03-07-11, 9:12 pm
First

Phil it was a pleasure training with you all 3 nights, I had no idea what we were about to go through with Enforcer but DAMN, Billy and I are still hurting. Even after some deep tissue work every night in whatever area we trained by the GF.

It was really awesome to get to know you and the Chicago crew you rolled with better and I can't wait to see you again next year, if not sooner! Might have to make a long weekend trip with the GF next time you all throw an ABC together. I LOVE Chicago, and haven't been back since Jr High, and my GF and I need to take a long weekend somewhere, SOON.

Don't forget about me next ABC you all setup.

smoothballer
03-08-11, 7:50 am
Awesome write-up Phil. A pleasure as always to see you again...

twoheadedboy
03-08-11, 8:21 am
Very nice Phil!

Phil800101
03-08-11, 12:38 pm
First

Phil it was a pleasure training with you all 3 nights, I had no idea what we were about to go through with Enforcer but DAMN, Billy and I are still hurting. Even after some deep tissue work every night in whatever area we trained by the GF.

It was really awesome to get to know you and the Chicago crew you rolled with better and I can't wait to see you again next year, if not sooner! Might have to make a long weekend trip with the GF next time you all throw an ABC together. I LOVE Chicago, and haven't been back since Jr High, and my GF and I need to take a long weekend somewhere, SOON.

Don't forget about me next ABC you all setup.

Thanks bro! It was awesome meeting and training with you. Sure thing, we should have one in a month or so.

Awesome write-up Phil. A pleasure as always to see you again...

Thanks man! Same here bro.

Very nice Phil!

Thanks Chris! Next year bro...

ToSo
03-08-11, 12:54 pm
Nice write up!

Nix0r
03-08-11, 12:58 pm
Great write-up, Lumbertruck.

Kermit is gonna be pissed.

Razor
03-08-11, 1:25 pm
Awesome write-up!

Phil800101
03-08-11, 1:29 pm
Nice write up!

Thanks man!

Great write-up, Lumbertruck.

Kermit is gonna be pissed.

Thanks bro! Lol, yup.

Awesome write-up!

Thanks my man! Another awesome year in the books.

G Diesel
03-08-11, 1:31 pm
Always awesome chilling with you Big Phil... It was a blast my brother.

Peace, G

freighttraindane
03-08-11, 1:33 pm
Awesome write up Phil

Phil800101
03-08-11, 1:34 pm
Always awesome chilling with you Big Phil... It was a blast my brother.

Peace, G

Thanks G! Yup, always an awesome time for sure.

Awesome write up Phil

Thanks bro! Cool to finally meet you.

Phil800101
03-08-11, 1:36 pm
Blast from the past, Cage circa 2007:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj206/Phil800101/n1918899_35813086_9966.jpg