PDA

View Full Version : My First Contest Diet. WBFF Calgary AB brothers

Abnormality
03-11-11, 5:45 pm
Alright new to this forum bros so i will start with a little introduction.
My names Erik, Ive been lifting for 4 years, only getting sers into the past year.
I stand at 6,3
235lbs @ 15-18% bf. In July i want to enter my first natural competition show. I have fairly decent dieting experience, but i want some insight. Heres what im looking at;

Weights;
2 Days on, 1 off, 3 days on, 1 off. Repeat
Split- Day 1 Chest/Shoulders/Traps/Tris. Day 2 Back/Bis/Abs. Day 3 Legs/Calves
I hit everything in these workouts. I start exactlIy how i listed them, with the only changes in any sequence being with the exercises i do. I dont concern myself with counting reps or sets. I have a fairly good connection with my body and i Go till it feels right. If that means 25 reps or 6 reps, Where ever the pump is and the exhaustion sets in is where i want to be.
Cardio;
10 mins warmup always, 20-30 mins after weights on days i lift.
30-60 mins on off days. I go 4 days on 1 off.

Diet;
I hear of this method of calculation all the time.
BW(235) x 12 =2820
I like to cycle, i do a Base, Fat, and Carb rotation.
Base - 2700 cals, 270g Prot, 215g Carbs, 90g Fat; For Days 1,2,3
Fat - 3000 cals, 225g Prot, 150g Carbs, 167g Fat; For day 4
Carb - 2600 cals, 228g Prot, 325g Carbs, 72g Fat; For Day 5
Repeat.
I eat no really simple sugers and have a very clean diet.
Now i hear low carb low carb bla this bla fuckin carb this but honestly wtf. Its day five into this diet scheme i feel like a flat, pumpless, peice of garbage with no energy. In the past i have experiemented with higher carbs whilst still in a calorie deficit.
Exactly how much does restricting my carbs whilst still in a deficit hinder fatloss? Im curious because If carbs are protein sparing then shouldnt I be able to hit a magic "Balance Number" and still loose good ammounts of bf.
Any input is welcome or critisizm, if more detail is needed i will surely post it.
Looking forward, Thanks brothers.

Young1
03-11-11, 10:28 pm
First, I'd like to say welcome to the FORVM brother. You hit on some interesting and basic topics.

Yes I think you can hit a magic balance number and lose bf without reducing your carb intake ratio. It's the overall caloric intake/expenditure that will determine your ability to lose bf. IMO, the 'best' way to lose fat is to keep your macro profile similar to the macro profile that allowed you to gain muscle and create a caloric deficit by progressively upping the activity level. As you get closer to your competition, taper off the amount of carbs you take in per week, just don't go overboard and take 'em all out.

Playing around with all these numbers will start to play with your mind. Clean eating, hard training brother. Question though, if you feel like shit on your current diet, why do you follow it?

Abnormality
03-11-11, 10:57 pm
Thanks for the welcome and input bro. To answer your question, i really dont know. I guess i have adopted the no pain no gain principle even when it comes to diet. I have always assumed a cutting diet would be a struggle, and thus it always has been. However today I made up a new diet.
The exact diet is this;
M1;
1scoop whey, 1 cup nofat milk, 1 banana, 2/3 cup oats.
M2;(Usually post workout)
1 scoop whey, 12oz Sweet Potatoe, 3oz Eye of round Beef
M3;
200g chicken Breast, 2 cups Red kidney beans
M4;
200g Chicken B, 1/2 cup Red k Beans, 3oz round beef
M5;
3oz round beef, 2 XL eggs, 4 XL egg whites
M6;
1can tuna, 1 can sardines, 100g spinach, 4 XL egg whites
TOTAL
3044 cals, 345.5g Prot, 294g Carb, 52g Fat
FYI - these are all weighed measurments

Maybe this is a little high? However i feel i have the best energy and strength when it comes to my training with the higher carbs, as well for my warmup and cardio. On top of moving around alot and demonstrating in my job i dont think that this is to high at all, whilst preserving the most ammount of mass. It may be slow, but every lb lost should be fat.
Hows it looking brothers?

Young1
03-12-11, 12:42 pm
To answer your question, i really dont know. I guess i have adopted the no pain no gain principle even when it comes to diet. I have always assumed a cutting

Well I can't say I agree with your reasoning. Diet is and will be a struggle, but it should be more of a mental struggle than anything else. I'd disagree with following any type of nutrition template that makes you physically feel like a piece of shit under the assumption "this is what I have to go through." But hey man, if it works, it works.

Diet looks solid bro. I'd suggest changing your PWO meal though to either a shake immediately after training, then a meal 30-60 mins later or a solid food meal immediately after training (and upping the 3 oz round beef to 6 -10oz). Also, your carb totals are not an accurate accumulation of your total carbs. Your carbs may weigh 294g but you're really only taking in ~200g.