PDA

View Full Version : working the waist area and lower back

DEADn
03-13-11, 4:58 pm
I am going to begin a routine that involved more of my abs and back muscles. I have neglected them alot. I plan to do hyper extensions, decline situps and sit ups where I lay on a bench with legs hanging up and bringing them up and maybe towards my chest with weight between my feet.

What other exercises could I involve in this? abs and lower back and maybe sides is what I am referring to.

I did 3 sets of hypers last night. 1 sets of 15 and 2 sets of 12 with 10lbs. My lower back muscle spoke to me for about 10 minutes after that. I am thinking I should keep the reps low as well, I get bored doing more then 10-12 reps all the time.

Carrnage
03-13-11, 5:16 pm
hypers? lolololol

Do heavy deadlifts without touching the floor, youl develop so much strength and size doing it that way, check out dorian yates back training, he stops a couple inches from the floor, bouncing it off the floor like most people do works, but the results are as near close as if you were to stop couple to few inches from the floor.

For abs, doing heavy bent over movements, like t-bars, deadlifts with the addition of some type of crunching motion will develop your abs / lower back.

NashoArms
03-13-11, 5:17 pm
For lower back here are two awesome exercises that I use every other week.
Rack Deads
Lower Back Extensions but grab a 25lb plate and go really really slow the way down and on the way up. Once i am up I stick my chest out and squeeze the heck out of the lower back while holding on to the plate. Almost like a steering wheel. Thats how you should hold it.

DEADn
03-13-11, 5:55 pm
For lower back here are two awesome exercises that I use every other week.
Rack Deads
Lower Back Extensions but grab a 25lb plate and go really really slow the way down and on the way up. Once i am up I stick my chest out and squeeze the heck out of the lower back while holding on to the plate. Almost like a steering wheel. Thats how you should hold it.

I realized this morning that I should go slower than what I did on the hypers. Aren't they called hyperextensions? The lower back extensions? I do the rack deads as well.

DEADn
03-13-11, 5:57 pm
hypers? lolololol

Do heavy deadlifts without touching the floor, youl develop so much strength and size doing it that way, check out dorian yates back training, he stops a couple inches from the floor, bouncing it off the floor like most people do works, but the results are as near close as if you were to stop couple to few inches from the floor.

For abs, doing heavy bent over movements, like t-bars, deadlifts with the addition of some type of crunching motion will develop your abs / lower back.

I can see you think the hypers are a waste of time? hmmm, doing deadlifts without touching the floor? Have to make sure my form is good on it though. I actually bent my back pretty bad using bad form on heavy deads.

I don't know that I was alot of size on my mid section. It already has some of that in fat, lol. I want to lean it out a bit but make it muscular and strong.

Carrnage
03-13-11, 8:52 pm
I can see you think the hypers are a waste of time? hmmm, doing deadlifts without touching the floor? Have to make sure my form is good on it though. I actually bent my back pretty bad using bad form on heavy deads.

I don't know that I was alot of size on my mid section. It already has some of that in fat, lol. I want to lean it out a bit but make it muscular and strong.

hypers CAN be good, but never skip out on a movement like deadlifts instead of something 10x easier like hypers, and yeah watch your form on the deads, you dont need 4-6 plates a side to build a huge back, stick with 185-200 for 15-20 reps without touching the floor

and leaning out and getting muscular/strong and 2 different goals

choose 1

DEADn
03-14-11, 9:39 am
I just found something out that I sort of new but was too scared to admit until I just did it. I make this post about working on my waist line. I measured my waistline and its fattest part. 39.5" This is just below the belly button. Thus the reason for my post.

I have been running about 3 times a week for about 30 minutes. I run for 5 min and stop for a min. and back and forth. I am wondering if I should throw some guerilla cardio in there (sprints) to enhance this? I know that if I run the same every day the body usually catches up with that and will do help me burn fat but switching it will be put it off guard.

Looking at my physique, it is my stomach area that looks the most sick. I can see the hint of something under it but the fat is too much. I may also need to take some psyllium husk to flush the colon out as well. No telling how full that may be.

Sprint
03-14-11, 10:20 am
I just found something out that I sort of new but was too scared to admit until I just did it. I make this post about working on my waist line. I measured my waistline and its fattest part. 39.5" This is just below the belly button. Thus the reason for my post.

I have been running about 3 times a week for about 30 minutes. I run for 5 min and stop for a min. and back and forth. I am wondering if I should throw some guerilla cardio in there (sprints) to enhance this? I know that if I run the same every day the body usually catches up with that and will do help me burn fat but switching it will be put it off guard.

Looking at my physique, it is my stomach area that looks the most sick. I can see the hint of something under it but the fat is too much. I may also need to take some psyllium husk to flush the colon out as well. No telling how full that may be.

Get some high intensity interval training in there. Running at a pace that is challenging to maintain for 30-40 seconds, resting for 30 secs & so on.

DEADn
03-14-11, 11:24 am
Get some high intensity interval training in there. Running at a pace that is challenging to maintain for 30-40 seconds, resting for 30 secs & so on.

I am thinking about doing the guerilla cardio thing. do a warm up, do 6-8 sprints of 20-30 seconds and rest 10 seconds and then a cool down. I have read that this is the fastest natural way to fat loss. I just have to figure out how to do it. Would be nice to do it on a track. I have to do this after work since I wake up at 3:30am to go to work at 4:30am.

Sprint
03-14-11, 8:17 pm
I am thinking about doing the guerilla cardio thing. do a warm up, do 6-8 sprints of 20-30 seconds and rest 10 seconds and then a cool down. I have read that this is the fastest natural way to fat loss. I just have to figure out how to do it. Would be nice to do it on a track. I have to do this after work since I wake up at 3:30am to go to work at 4:30am.

Yeah that'd be pretty intense if it's an all out sprint, which you'd want it to be for that length of effort time. Of course, that'd get fucking tough with 10 seconds rest each time.

You'd probably want to do it on a track, treadmills rarely go fast enough for a proper full on sprint for people, plus they don't accelerate fast enough for it to be as effective as it could be.

DEADn
03-14-11, 8:51 pm
Yeah that'd be pretty intense if it's an all out sprint, which you'd want it to be for that length of effort time. Of course, that'd get fucking tough with 10 seconds rest each time.

You'd probably want to do it on a track, treadmills rarely go fast enough for a proper full on sprint for people, plus they don't accelerate fast enough for it to be as effective as it could be.

I was debating whether track or to do it down the street. I don't use a treadmill when I normally run. I jog down the street. I would also not rest for 10 seconds. I would push it out for 20 seconds.
I was reading up on GC and looked at how some people have executed it. I did it in the past and ended up with shin splints and I felt like I wanted to die. That is where the head comes in, if it beats me up and I give up I am the loser but if the opposite I have everything to gain.

I have to do it in the afternoon since I work early in the morning.

Sprint
03-14-11, 8:56 pm
I was debating whether track or to do it down the street. I don't use a treadmill when I normally run. I jog down the street. I would also not rest for 10 seconds. I would push it out for 20 seconds.
I was reading up on GC and looked at how some people have executed it. I did it in the past and ended up with shin splints and I felt like I wanted to die. That is where the head comes in, if it beats me up and I give up I am the loser but if the opposite I have everything to gain.

I have to do it in the afternoon since I work early in the morning.

I'd not recommend doing it on a street surface, purely due to the stresses on the knees. Either on a proper running track or on a grass surface (once checking that it's level & has no hidden dips or pot holes)

Grass would be even more difficult because the absorbing of the impact not only helps your joints, but gives less rebound energy back, meaning you have to work harder to hit the same speeds as you would on a track.

Mr.X
03-15-11, 12:57 am
never run on crete man, unless you wanna fuk up yo knees so bad they look like the elephantman on feeding day

use the track, stretch scientifically and take it easy to begin with.

so many people overlook running and sprints but even the people that do use them often train wrong, you need to train goal specific and build up to intense days and easy days

again never on concrete dude

Sprint
03-15-11, 9:18 am
never run on crete man, unless you wanna fuk up yo knees so bad they look like the elephantman on feeding day

use the track, stretch scientifically and take it easy to begin with.

so many people overlook running and sprints but even the people that do use them often train wrong, you need to train goal specific and build up to intense days and easy days

again never on concrete dude

X2 right there.

DEADn
03-15-11, 4:29 pm
Ok
I will go to a track. There are 2 high schools in the area. Just have to figure out which one will be more convenient to do it on. Thanks

Sprint
03-15-11, 9:04 pm
Ok
I will go to a track. There are 2 high schools in the area. Just have to figure out which one will be more convenient to do it on. Thanks

No worries bro, anything else just shout.

Kain81
03-16-11, 3:21 pm
I'm a big fan of running stairs. and it totally hits those areas. I do 5 sets of single runs. 5 sets of doubles (skip a stair), 5 sets wide strides. 5 weighted (carrying 45lbs each side), and finally 5 leap frogging doubles. (seriously hop up the stairs, skipping one). Add that to your Ab day and you'll def feel it.

Also, heavy kettle ball raises. Squat position , swing a good sized kettle up over your head. Repeat.

G'luck