PDA

View Full Version : Training 4 days in a row

BarbellManiac
03-14-11, 5:58 pm
Too much on the CNS? I have Quads today (lots of squats) and I have trained 3 days in a row so far, lower back is a little sore from hitting back on Saturday. Should I train today, or hit legs altogether with hamstrings tomorrow?

Carrnage
03-14-11, 7:56 pm
Too much on the CNS? I have Quads today (lots of squats) and I have trained 3 days in a row so far, lower back is a little sore from hitting back on Saturday. Should I train today, or hit legs altogether with hamstrings tomorrow?

Always go by how you feel, dont go by how it looks on paper or the 7 day schedule. Do you feel motivated? Energized? No stress? Go for it! If not back off and take a day off. Once you notice some kind of lack of motivation during training, stress, lack of energy thats your CNS saying "Hey Buddy, cool it!".

Sprint
03-14-11, 9:32 pm
Always go by how you feel, dont go by how it looks on paper or the 7 day schedule. Do you feel motivated? Energized? No stress? Go for it! If not back off and take a day off. Once you notice some kind of lack of motivation during training, stress, lack of energy thats your CNS saying "Hey Buddy, cool it!".

X2 right there. Listen to your body. I'm currently mid-way thru my first 3 days off hitting weights for I can't remember how long. Although I am hitting the track tomorrow night. But in terms of weights, it's rare I even have 2 days off together let alone 3, but my body was startin to feel a touch run down.

Just listen to what your body tells you, & make an informed decision off the back of that.

Mr.X
03-14-11, 11:37 pm
all replies great so far, it is about HOW YOU FEEL but its also about how much protein,carbs etc your shovelling

headstrong about trainin 4 days straight? well the best advice i could give is up the protein a lil more and rest an hour longer, but shit if your cns tells you to stop after a set o squats you should listen but either way train hard and smart bro

BarbellManiac
03-14-11, 11:53 pm
Thanks guys, ended up resting today and hope to hit it hard tomorrow. Thanks again.

Jay
03-14-11, 11:55 pm

THIS^

I find working a 2 on, one off, 3 on, 1 off works for me.

MrMonday
03-14-11, 11:56 pm
Although I would echo the replies to listen to your body, at some point you need to realize that adapting to a high performance routine requires a little pain and discomfort.

I typically train 6 days in a row most weeks, occasionally 7 days. I did not start off able to do that, and there were some days where I had to force myself to train through soreness, and other days when I just felt tired but I drug my butt into the gym anyway.

And I'm happy I did. My body has adapted to that stress, and I'm able to build an even better body because my work capacity is that much greater.

If after only a few days of hard training, your lower back is sore and you aren't sure if you should do squats, you really have two options. (a) stay inside your comfort zone, take a rest day, and let your body continue at the same rhythm. (b) train through the discomfort this week, so that come next week your body has overcome it, and it's no longer a problem.

Am I suggesting that we all build up to training twice a day every day with tons of volume and so forth? No of course not. But if you want to be serious about bodybuilding, you need to understand that a CHAMPION hardly ever takes a day off. You don't get to be great at something without doing it nearly every day, and bodybuilding is no different.

BarbellManiac
03-15-11, 12:05 am
Although I would echo the replies to listen to your body, at some point you need to realize that adapting to a high performance routine requires a little pain and discomfort.

I typically train 6 days in a row most weeks, occasionally 7 days. I did not start off able to do that, and there were some days where I had to force myself to train through soreness, and other days when I just felt tired but I drug my butt into the gym anyway.

And I'm happy I did. My body has adapted to that stress, and I'm able to build an even better body because my work capacity is that much greater.

If after only a few days of hard training, your lower back is sore and you aren't sure if you should do squats, you really have two options. (a) stay inside your comfort zone, take a rest day, and let your body continue at the same rhythm. (b) train through the discomfort this week, so that come next week your body has overcome it, and it's no longer a problem.

Am I suggesting that we all build up to training twice a day every day with tons of volume and so forth? No of course not. But if you want to be serious about bodybuilding, you need to understand that a CHAMPION hardly ever takes a day off. You don't get to be great at something without doing it nearly every day, and bodybuilding is no different.

I have trained crazy in the past, including 7 days a week, which was stupid. The thing with my body is that after I reduced the amount of time I trained, I responded better, so less is better for me I suppose. Doing 6 sets of heavy deads can leave a big toll on the body no matter how advanced you are. As G Diesel always stated "The difference between the folks and freaks is the fork" and that's what I learned after 2 years of crazy training without any significant gains.

Oz_78
03-17-11, 6:34 am
Also ended up having a day off today. Hit all of my meals, so definitely got in everything I needed to, just wasn't feeling up to it after a busy as fuck day at work. All good though, will get a good night's sleep, get all the food down again tomorrow and hit the gym hard after work.