PDA

View Full Version : Vision

relentless53
03-15-11, 5:02 pm
When I woke up this morning, the first thing I thought about was "How well did I sleep last night?" I threw my legs off the side of the bed, popped my first supplement of the day and downed a glass of water. I walk directly to the mirror in the bathroom and stand there, staring, taking account of every body-part with a keen and critical eye.

I put a mental picture in my mind several years ago of what I wanted to look like. And I made that commitment to myself that I was going to get there through my own heart and desire. I would never be too proud to offer encouragement to another and I would never, ever stop trying to reach my goal. And until that reflection matches that very picture, etched into my brain, I will not be satisfied.

Some people call it Vanity, others call it obsession, many call it unhealthy and still others call it Selfish. I call it Vision. It is mine and mine alone. And until you have some, you won't understand where it comes from. "They" are the same people who try to tell you what they think is most important for you based on their own needs to you to accomplish something for them. But this is my Vision and I will be damned if I am not going to spend part of my day achieving my own goals.

You can't go anywhere worth going, without Vision. In order for you to set a goal you have to visualize the end result, develop your plan in reverse and create points along that route to check your progress. Those points allow you to make changes that will allow you the opportunity to become your Vision, within the time-line that you set. Which brings me to another point, a goal without a set deadline is simply a wish. If you attempt to take a journey without knowing when you expect to get there, how can you know if you are even headed in the right direction? You can't, and it is at that point, you will wish you had set a deadline.

So when you get out of bed tomorrow, take your own assessment and ask yourself, "am I a better version of me, than I was yesterday?" If the answer is "yes", carry-on with your journey. If not, set yourself a goal you can accomplish that very day, and go reach it. And then when that next day comes, and you take another assessment, you can answer "yes" and carry-on.

ToSo
03-15-11, 5:15 pm
Good shit Relentless53. Definitely a great "eye opener," of a thread. I think what you said is very important and real, to question yourself "are you a better person than you were yesterday?" Same goes for a lot of other things such as "am I stronger than yesterday?" I think its important sometimes to reflect on ourselves and do some soul searching in order to become that better bodybuilder, powerlifter, guy, dad, ect.

relentless53
03-16-11, 11:21 am
I mean that lightly... I haven't reached the top and I am nowhere near where I want to be, but because I have a destination in sight, I am able to stay on this road and drive it every f'n day.

I find myself lost in the tunes screaming into my ears, some of the music so heavy it hurts. (today it was Killswitch Engage, "My Curse") But it invokes a response, sometimes it's anger, sometimes pride - but always motivating. I was frustrated yesterday, (biceps day) as I feel I hit a plateau, so I decided to get a little nutty and throw the weighted belt on with a 45 chained to it. (this was after my standard bicep workout) I don't know what it is about that thing but once it is locked in, it just feels like it means business. I hopped up to the bar across the top of the rack and tucked my knees in and proceeded to pull, UP. (underhand grip)

Feeling that stretch and the added iron pulling the fibers of those muscles was ridiculous, exactly what I needed, exactly what I have be longing for. I have missed that feeling of engaging every single strand of muscle to complete 1 rep then 2 then 3.. Trying to stretch that chin upwards onto the bar on 4,5 and 6 just so I know I truly got there. The pinch at the top and the FIRE on the way down was so harsh, but it wasn't that I didn't want to feel it, it was that I forgot what that felt like. Sure, I have been grinding out 3 to 4 more after that initial burn kicked in, but this was new.. Euphoric when I finished.. I dropped to the floor, took a knee and a couple dozen beads of sweat dripped over the plate and down onto the mat below me.

.. But now onto my point. sometimes it's 430 am, sometimes 12 noon, other days it 10pm. But whatever the time, it's always alone. There are many who see me, and immediately walk in another direction, and yet others who stare almost as if I am an accident waiting to happen. And don't get me started on the wife, she hasn't comprehended the importance of having 2 dozen eggs and 10 pounds of Chicken Breast in the fridge at all times. She doesn't understand why my bag ends up on the floor because I am too tired to carry it into the laundry room when I get home. She doesn't get how I can read the same 40-50 Muscle Mags that are 4-5 years old, simply because I want to re-read the same articles and pick up a new idea.

I am not mean, I am not angry, I am just focused. The gym is MY TIME... There is no one that is going to drive me there. There is no one that is going to lift these weights for me and there is certainly no one that is going to motivate me by screaming in my ear telling me that I can do it. It's all about me for those 90 minutes. It's my own world and I control it. I control what goes into it, and I control what I get out of it. No one can do the work for me. I hear those stupid beats from some class where a bunch of sweat hogs pretend to be motivated when around 30 other people and then go home and sabotage their work into a bowl of Ice Cream and 3 cookies, simply because they "earned it." Bullshit. You didn't earn a thing in your 45 minutes twice a week.

It's those opinions that tell me exactly what I need to know. I am on the right track and while there are others like me, those people will never get it. Because while you were at home nestled in your bed curled up with a remote control and that "2nd Scoop" I was in here, Pushing, Pulling and becoming my vision. Alone.

C.Coronato
03-16-11, 11:29 am
Deep brother, real deep. Its all about balance. Life, food, training, women. Many women dont understand the lifestyle, but if you have a good one, keep her close. She will keep you grounded my man.

Keep doing your thing and pushing forward.

relentless53
03-16-11, 12:33 pm
That is truth.. Good call, and I can and will keep her close. She is my balance.