PDA

View Full Version : Dorian Yates workout?

creatinefreak
03-17-11, 1:41 am
hey guys, ive been looking at starting a new routine to gain a tonne of weight. Im stuck between some of the splits on this website or this routine, what do you guys think about dorians?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian-yates-blood-guts-6-week-trainer.htm

creatinefreak
03-17-11, 1:47 am
also, what do you think about about his opinion on decline bench(if youve watched the vids) he says decline bench is the best movement for chest because it works the full pec, I beleive him because hes 6x mr O, but nobody else really uses it?

Topher
03-17-11, 5:28 am
I love it its simple and effective. I'm incorperating the chest wo off that series. Its short and sweet and I have done it for 3 weeks and am liking it so far.I started doing it because of his lack of shoulder pain throughout his career, so far my shoulders have quit hurting doing.Its just some good ol basic compound movement. Just 2 cents for ya bro.

100jan
03-17-11, 6:52 am
I did it and it was perfect for me. Saw some great gains. And about the decline, after listening his advices i made some decent development in my pecs. I found out that my pecs react better when I'm working on the decline than on the regular bench press. Give it a try bro, see how it goes... Make some tweaks here and there if it is necessary and you'll be fine.

zubda345
03-17-11, 9:00 am
hey guys, ive been looking at starting a new routine to gain a tonne of weight. Im stuck between some of the splits on this website or this routine, what do you guys think about dorians?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian-yates-blood-guts-6-week-trainer.htm

also, what do you think about about his opinion on decline bench(if youve watched the vids) he says decline bench is the best movement for chest because it works the full pec, I believe him because hes 6x mr O, but nobody else really uses it?

I have done decline benches and they worked for me (really good)... Look there are a 1000 ways to hit a single muscle group... U have to find what works for u not what a person says is good... Like military press is the most common and better than all exercises for shoulders (as said by some) but personally it doesn't suits me or my body... barbell curls are most common and some top class Bodybuilders will do it If they have to do only one exercise for biceps , but If I am to do only one exercise for my bicep (keeping away the routine I am on) I will do Hammer curls cause I think they work for me better....... It's all trial and error, Keep on it... Look what benefits u and how and y... and then make ur self ur own routine, but starting with all the basic exercises is the most better way if u r a beginner cause basic movements are the starters and they work for 90% ppl... hell I think for 100% ppl if they know how to do them...

zubda345
03-17-11, 9:10 am
Another thing, I personally think that decline benches DONOT hit the upper chest... U actually have ur chest at a lower level and ur legs above ur chest's level... Because of Gravity Ur chest muscles are pulled to ur neck and when U bench on a decline ur middle and lower chest gets the weight and it pushes ur chest to ur neck more from the lower side so u think it hits ur upper chest too but it doesn't... think about it and also experiment on it if u have some spare time in the gym...

And use small weights while testing it cause I want u to think about how it works... When U have ur mind on the mechanism u should not have ur mind on working the muscle... in other words "Don't get fuckin' crushed under the bar or u'll lose ur head!!"

Sprint
03-17-11, 9:41 am
Another thing, I personally think that decline benches DONOT hit the upper chest... U actually have ur chest at a lower level and ur legs above ur chest's level... Because of Gravity Ur chest muscles are pulled to ur neck and when U bench on a decline ur middle and lower chest gets the weight and it pushes ur chest to ur neck more from the lower side so u think it hits ur upper chest too but it doesn't... think about it and also experiment on it if u have some spare time in the gym...

And use small weights while testing it cause I want u to think about how it works... When U have ur mind on the mechanism u should not have ur mind on working the muscle... in other words "Don't get fuckin' crushed under the bar or u'll lose ur head!!"

X2 on this.

Aggression
03-17-11, 9:52 am
I have used Dorian Yates' version of the HIT training in the past. Its effective and it really taxes your CNS. Its best used with a training partner. The whole point of this program is to hit that one set beyond failure. You need a spotter to help you get a few forced reps in order for this program to be effective. As for his outlook on decline bench press, its hard to tell. One thing I like about Yates is that he's free of all bullshit. I know he despises the flat bench press while praising the decline bench. On the other hand, Ronnie Coleman and Arnold both used the flat barbell bench press as their main chest movement to build some thick pecs. Yates trains balls to the wall, hitting that psycho switch when it comes time to train. THAT is how he became successful. Any program will work. Its all about the intensity and the raw emotion you put into your training.

Sprint
03-17-11, 9:55 am
I have used Dorian Yates' version of the HIT training in the past. Its effective and it really taxes your CNS. Its best used with a training partner. The whole point of this program is to hit that one set beyond failure. You need a spotter to help you get a few forced reps in order for this program to be effective. As for his outlook on decline bench press, its hard to tell. One thing I like about Yates is that he's free of all bullshit. I know he despises the flat bench press while praising the decline bench. On the other hand, Ronnie Coleman and Arnold both used the flat barbell bench press as their main chest movement to build some thick pecs. Yates trains balls to the wall, hitting that psycho switch when it comes time to train. THAT is how he became successful. Any program will work. Its all about the intensity and the raw emotion you put into your training.

Good shout at the end there bro, in much the same way that no program will work if you decide it's ok to do shit like start talking on your phone between sets etc.

creatinefreak
03-17-11, 2:13 pm
thanks a lot for all those fast answers bros.
I'll give all of the tips a shot and elt you know how it goes! thanks

Punisher
03-17-11, 2:26 pm
Try it...almost any training will work as long as youputthe effort in

Carrnage
03-17-11, 4:43 pm
also, what do you think about about his opinion on decline bench(if youve watched the vids) he says decline bench is the best movement for chest because it works the full pec, I beleive him because hes 6x mr O, but nobody else really uses it?

the decline press worked for "him", it may not work for you

and to tell you the truth, your still looking for that "secret" training plan, which i dont blame you, we all do when we first start

but to make the greatest progress of your life, just stick to the basic free weight movements only! train the days you feel like training, DO NOT STICK TO A SCHEDULE, and do as many sets as you feel, keep the reps around 6-20, use very strict form

keep doing research online to help your knowledge aswell

zubda345
03-18-11, 4:16 am

and to tell you the truth, your still looking for that "secret" training plan, which i dont blame you, we all do when we first start

but to make the greatest progress of your life, just stick to the basic free weight movements only! train the days you feel like training, DO NOT STICK TO A SCHEDULE, and do as many sets as you feel, keep the reps around 6-20, use very strict form

keep doing research online to help your knowledge aswell

Like I said... Basics are the key.... everyone will agree on that.... stick to the basics...

Sprint
03-18-11, 8:24 am
Like I said... Basics are the key.... everyone will agree on that.... stick to the basics...

X2, Get the basics, then start playing around with extras.

C.Coronato
03-18-11, 9:39 am

100% What works for a 6x Mr O, is most likely far different than many people on this board. Try it, and see how you like it. In all honesty, i know i tried it when i watched those videos. It was awkward before the videos, and it was awkward after. I tried it, didnt work, so i moved on.

zubda345
03-18-11, 9:58 am
^^ C gave u the best advice... try it, if it works it's ok, if it doesn't move on...

LegendKillerJosh
03-19-11, 11:38 am
I realized in the past when doing a HIT routine (I followed Mentzers for a long time) doing exercises 1 arm at a time is great whenever possible. Example - tricep pressdowns or concentration curls, because whenever u reach failure you can use the other arm to force extra reps. Other than that you will need a training partner to go beyond failure.