PDA

View Full Version : Rehabbing/ Training with Injured Shoulder...?

Monster_In_Training
03-17-11, 9:13 pm
Hey, I got some questions regarding rehabbing/training my injured shoulder. Here's the run down, about 7-8 weeks ago while doing shoulders, more specifically light front barbell raises (60 lb barbell) I felt this weird feeling in my shoulder. On my subsequent work outs my shoulder just started to hurt a little, nothing crazy but enough to annoy me, so I took 3 weeks off.

My shoulder felt significantly better after the rest, so I started in with my regular workouts, kept the weights light and the pain persisted. I think it's the rotator cuff because if I don't warm up my rotator cuff first, my movement is resricted and I feel a little bit of pain as it stretches out or is used.

Here's the kicker though, over the last 4 weeks, despite pain and I think a slightly injured rotator cuff, all of my lifts have gone up! Even my lagging lifts like barbell bench( finally into 2 plates!) and DB and barbell shoulder presses( 90's with DB and 185 for barbell)!?!?

This is where things get interesting, when I do a warm up set of barbell bench for example, with 1 plate my shoulder hurts like hell. As I move up through the weights, 185, 205, 225 my shoulder hurts far less! WTF is that about??? How is more weight hurting less or none where as less weight hurts like hell? Or when I do DB shoulder presses, I have to have my buddy spot the shit outta me on the way up on the first rep even with the warm up sets (50lbs), after I get into position I can press with ease, even the heavier DBs (90lbs for me), it's just getiing them up off my knees or controlling them on the way down to my knees when they are out in front when Im done my set.

Also I have stopped doing front raises as it slightly hurts, and have stuck to SUPER light side raises (10lbs) after thoroughly warming up my rotator and shoulder.

So basically what I want to know is, what are the things that you guys do to rehab or help to heal an injury? I know rest is first and formost, but what do you do when working through it?

Taking time off for me is just a killer, all I do is want to lift! Especially now that all my lifts have gone up and are continuing to do so. So i'd like to avoid it! When I took my 3 weeks off from lifting it kinda ate at me the whole time. I turned into a hermit lol, ate, slept, studied, watch tonnes of you tube videos about BBing lol. Was not a fun 3 weeks!

Also I think someone will elude to diet or supps helping out in some fashion so;

Diet:
8:30am: Atomic 7 and 1 pak nitro
9:00 am ish: Big protein shake first thing, right around 1000 cals, 2 scoops protein, quaker oats, peanut butter etc;
12:00pm: usually chicken or beef, 10-12 oz, a cup of veggies, maybe a potato, 1 animal Pak
3:00pm ish: usally again, chicken or beef 10-12oz, more veggies about a cup.
5-530 ish Pre workout snack, usually something small, pack of oat meal, peanut butter banana sandwich. Also take super pump here, waiting to get my rage!

7pm ish Post workout: Atomic 7 and 1 nitro pak, 30 mins later protein shake
8-830pm ish: Dinner usually again chicken or beef 10-12oz, more veggies about a cup or large salad if I feel like it.
11-1130: Same protein shake as in the morning except I sub casein for the whey so it'll hold me down for the night.

1am Sleep

Supps: Pak, Nitro, Atomic 7, Protein, Casein, super pump(waiting on my rage) Also taking a liver clenser/maintinence in the morning, can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Thanx for any Help or suggestions!!! I apreciate it!!!

Phil800101
03-18-11, 12:12 pm
Go see a doctor.

Don't fuck around with a potentially injured rotator cuff. It doesn't matter if your lifts have gone up, what you are describing sounds like a potentially serious injury.You hate missing the gym for even a day? If you continue to "push through it" you're going to make things worse and miss months, if not more.

We've all been there. I once "pushed through" a sore back, fucked it up to where I could barely walk, and was out of the gym for over a month. That was stupid.

Seriously though, get it looked at. As I am fond of saying, there is a fine line between being a hardass and being a dumbass.

ToSo
03-18-11, 12:19 pm
Go see a doctor.

Don't fuck around with a potentially injured rotator cuff. It doesn't matter if your lifts have gone up, what you are describing sounds like a potentially serious injury.You hate missing the gym for even a day? If you continue to "push through it" you're going to make things worse and miss months, if not more.

We've all been there. I once "pushed through" a sore back, fucked it up to where I could barely walk, and was out of the gym for over a month. That was stupid.

Seriously though, get it looked at. As I am fond of saying, there is a fine line between being a hardass and being a dumbass.

Thats some really good advice and I would advise you to follow, I'm dealing with a lower back strain and I tried to train back the other day and it was a terrible idea. Train SMART, or get hurt and don't train at all.

Stone_Ghost
03-24-11, 4:20 pm
Yo man i gotta go with Phil on this one for sure. Best to make sure it is not a serious thing before you go too hard and permantly fuck it. Shoulders, knees, lower back, you wreck em hard enough, there aint no comin back to 100%.

My advice same as phils, go see a doctor first and foremost. If it is something that can be fixed try to get some physiotherapy , few of my buddies got wrecked shoulders( army life will do that to ya). Hopefully through physio you can get it back.

Explore every option on this one man. and make sure you warm up your rotators from now on dude, i started doin it a while ago and noticed some improvement on my lifts.

Punisher
03-27-11, 11:25 pm
So with no medical training you diagnosed yourself and came here for a treatment plan lol go see a professional chiro pt md someone who can properly diagnose and treat you please

Big Byrd
03-30-11, 12:00 pm
Sounds like its not a shoulder injury; its a shoulder impingment of the humerous in the socket caused by a knotted muscle in ur back or traps that displaces the humerous and allows it to float out of alignment. That impingement is why u feel it in the shoulder, but its cause is elsewhere. It feels better as u get loose because ur muscles are warming up and working out the kinks. WHen it cools u knot back up and feel it again.

Advice:
-Get some good massage work.
-Warmup up with rear delt band pull aparts and light overhand cable rows with a emphasis on squeezing and activating scapular area.
-Could super set rows with pressing, helps me alot. rows can be light
-Stretch back and shoulder and pecs after training while warm and loose
foam roll back
-Lay on a tennis ball where it falls between infraspanatis and do external rotations (poor mans ART)
-Start incorporating more back work and stretching pecs.

Dominator
04-02-11, 1:41 am
I have the same problem with my shoulder, it hurts real bad at low weight but once I get my warmup sets over with the pain starts to be more managable. I did shoulders tonight and I did what you suggested before my routine, Mr. Byrd, and it worked. My shoulder felt soooooooo much better and now that I"m at home a few hours after my routine my shoulder doesn't ache at all. Thank you very much for your advice and suggestions. It really did wonders for me. For a while I thought I had torn a shoulder muscle or something but now I have no real pain.

IronWilson
04-02-11, 11:03 am
Sounds like its not a shoulder injury; its a shoulder impingment of the humerous in the socket caused by a knotted muscle in ur back or traps that displaces the humerous and allows it to float out of alignment. That impingement is why u feel it in the shoulder, but its cause is elsewhere. It feels better as u get loose because ur muscles are warming up and working out the kinks. WHen it cools u knot back up and feel it again.

Advice:
-Get some good massage work.
-Warmup up with rear delt band pull aparts and light overhand cable rows with a emphasis on squeezing and activating scapular area.
-Could super set rows with pressing, helps me alot. rows can be light
-Stretch back and shoulder and pecs after training while warm and loose
foam roll back
-Lay on a tennis ball where it falls between infraspanatis and do external rotations (poor mans ART)
-Start incorporating more back work and stretching pecs.

BEST FREAKIN ADVICE EVER!

Also, I would like to add an exercise called shoulder dislocations. You can use a band, broomstick, or thin PVC pipe.

You can see how to do the here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33P5AI27eiU

Just don't push it too hard. Remember that if you don't focus on your shoulders but train everything else hard, the rest of the chain will start to fail. For instance, you may develop bicep tendonitis or neck pain. Maybe take a couple of weeks off upper body with only stretching, massage, and foam rolling and then continue your training with the specifications that Big Byrd has laid out.

Monster_In_Training
04-06-11, 12:42 am
Hey Mr. Byrd you are bang on!!! It sounds like you walked a mile in my shoes lol, I'd just like to say thank you for the advice! I'm deff gonna try out what you have suggested before working out, in my next session. This is the first time I've been on in a while, getting into exam time so I go into gym rat/book worm mode. I did however have a couple questions though:

1: Could you explain this one a little bit more; "Lay on a tennis ball where it falls between infraspanatis and do external rotations" I think I know what your getting at but not 100%.

2: when you wrote "Warmup up with rear delt band pull aparts", my gym doesnt have any bands or stuff like that so I was wondering If I could sub in like a light reverse DB fly or on the fly machine for the rear delts instead? Also what would you suggest in terms of reps and sets?

3: As for incorporating more back work, what would you suggest? I've been doing some powerlifting over the last month or so and my back only gets really worked on deads, wide grip pull ups, bent over BB rows or seated depending on whats available at my gym.

4: As for Pec stretchs do you or anyone have anything in particular? Or any links that could point me in the right direction? It's kinda funny (and sad) that I actually have trouble stretching my chest now because of my damn shoulder! It's sooooo friggin hard lol! I can't get my arms behind my back to pull and stretch my pecs anymore.

IronWilson, O man, that shoulder dislocating thing... That guys got the flexibility of gumbi!!! I'm gonna give it a whirl, but damn it looks like it hurts lol! That guy has like a 300 degree range of motion!

Punisher, lol ya man I know, kinda stupid but I was positive that people on here would have gone through the same thing and would have some wisdom they could impart on me and help me work through my crippled shoulder lol.

And for anyone else yes I am going to go see a doctor, just gotta finish out the last of my exams first. I think massage first though lol!

Thanks for all the advice and help guys! It's greatly appreciated!!!

Big Byrd
04-06-11, 11:42 am
Hey Mr. Byrd I did however have a couple questions though:

1: Could you explain this one a little bit more; "Lay on a tennis ball where it falls between infraspanatis and do external rotations" I think I know what your getting at but not 100%.

ANSWER: SEE VIDEO EXPLANATION HERE:http://www.viddler.com/explore/chrisgrayson/videos/59/

2: when you wrote "Warmup up with rear delt band pull aparts", my gym doesnt have any bands or stuff like that so I was wondering If I could sub in like a light reverse DB fly or on the fly machine for the rear delts instead? Also what would you suggest in terms of reps and sets?

ANSWER: REV DB FLYES OR REV PEC DEC WORK THE SAME WAY JUST DO NOT GO TO FAILURE ON THESE OR GO TOO HEAVY, ITS REHAB, ISOLATE THE RIGHT AREA. BUT U CAN BUY BANDS AT ANY WALMART, TARGET, SPORTING GOODS STORE; THATS WHAT I USE, THE ONES WITH HANDLES AND JUST TIE A KNOT OR ROLL IT UP TO GET THE RIGHT TENSION. I CAME ACROSS THIS COOL WARMUP THE OTHER DAY AND LIKE IT ALOT, THEY ARE CALL SPIDER WALKSAND DONE FOR SETS OF TIME: http://train.elitefts.com/exercise-index/band/spider-walks/

3: As for incorporating more back work, what would you suggest? I've been doing some powerlifting over the last month or so and my back only gets really worked on deads, wide grip pull ups, bent over BB rows or seated depending on whats available at my gym.

ANSWER: UR GOAL IS TO WORK SHOULDER RETRACTION. A LOT OF BENCHING AND SLUMPING OVER DESK CAUSES TIGHT PECS AND ROLLED FORWARD SHOULDERS; UR GOAL IS TO PULL THEM BACK AND DOWN. LOW CABLE ROWS BUT DO NOT LET ARMS BEND PAST 90 DEGREES; STAY LIGHT HIGH REPS AND KEEP THE WORK WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE; THIS IS REHAB/PREHAB NOT A SIZE/STRENGTH BUILDER, WEIGHT DOESNT MATTER, WORKING THE RIGHT AREA DOES. ALSO DO HANGING SHOULDER RETRACTIONS, BASICALLY THE FIRST PART OF A PULLUP WITHOUT BENDING UR ARMS. THIS WORKS RIGHT UNDER ARMPIT, ITS A VERY SHORT RANGE, JUST CONTRACT AND HOLD FOR A COUPLE SECONDS THEN HANG AND STRETCH FOR A COUPLE SECONDS, REPEAT FOR REPS

4: As for Pec stretchs do you or anyone have anything in particular? Or any links that could point me in the right direction? It's kinda funny (and sad) that I actually have trouble stretching my chest now because of my damn shoulder! It's sooooo friggin hard lol! I can't get my arms behind my back to pull and stretch my pecs anymore.

ANSWER: STRECTH UR CHEST AFTER EVERY SET OF BACK WORK. AND UNTIL IT GETS BETTER, DO BACK WORK IMMEDIATELY BEFORE OR AFTER ANY CHEST WORK; SO SUPERSET OR ALTERNATE SET CHEST SET WITH BACK SET. I LIKE TO STAND IN THE CORNER FACING THE WALL, KEEP HANDS LOW AS COMFORTABLE, AND WALK INTO CORNER FOR MILD STRETCH, MILD, DO NOT OVER DO IT. ALSO A STRETCH WITH ARM OUT TO SIDE AT 90 DEGREE AND BENT AT ELBOW 90 DEGREE AND LEAN INTO DOOR FRAME (LIKE THROWING A BASEBALL). HOLD FOR 20 SECONDS IN ONE SPOT, THEN EXHALE AND LET IT RELAX INTO A LITTLE DEEPER STRETCH, AGAIN HOLD 20 SECONDS AND RELAX DEEPER, THEN ONE MORE FOR A TOTAL OF 60 SECONDS.

IronWilson, O man, that shoulder dislocating thing... That guys got the flexibility of gumbi!!! I'm gonna give it a whirl, but damn it looks like it hurts lol! That guy has like a 300 degree range of motion!

COMMENT: I CANT DO THESE YET EITHER. I HAVE BEEN LAYING ON THE GROUND WITH A WEIGHTED BAR (15LBS) AND DOING STRAIGHT ARM PULLOVERS AND A HOLD OVER HEAD LETTING IT STRETCH PECS SO HANDS CAN TOUCH THE FLOOR. aFTER THAT I TAKE BAR FROM FULL EXTENSION AND TRY TO PULL DOWN INTO AN OVERHEAD PRESS WHIL KEEPING HANDS IN CONTACT WITH OR CLOSE TO THE FLOOR. WHEN THEY COME OFF TO FAR I STOP AND HOLD TRYING TO RELAX FOR A BIT THEN EXTEND AND DO IT OVER. I DO A FEW SETS OF 10-15 THIS WAY. REALLY LOOSENS THINGS UP BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER. DONT OVER EXERT URSELF, TAKE UR TIME AND DONT FORCE ANYTHING

Thanks for all the advice and help guys! It's greatly appreciated!!!
I HOPE IT HELPS

MRmichael.hooker
04-06-11, 4:45 pm
when i hurt my rotator, I spent 3 weeks at a chiropractor and it felt as good as new.

IronWilson
04-07-11, 2:03 pm

You Don't have to do it with a broomstick. I can't do it either. I use a small PVC pipe that is about 7 ft. long and about the circumference of a broomstick. You can go wider and you will be able to do it. Or you could always use bands which work better because they stretch the shoulder inward.

Big Byrd
04-08-11, 2:22 pm
You Don't have to do it with a broomstick. I can't do it either. I use a small PVC pipe that is about 7 ft. long and about the circumference of a broomstick. You can go wider and you will be able to do it. Or you could always use bands which work better because they stretch the shoulder inward.

i use a band. I have a great article for u with videos:

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/rehabilitation/did-you-know-youre-dysfunctional/