PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Pump In Biceps And Triceps When Supersetting

music_man185
03-19-11, 11:55 pm
i just started House's training split. it involves training biceps and triceps together on the same day. in the past, i usually split bi's and tri's on different days. my problem is that i'm having trouble maintaining my pump in both muscles throughout my workout. when i do a bicep movement, i get a good pump. but when i go to a tricep movement, i lose the pump in my bi. then when i go back to a bicep movement, the pump i get isn't as strong as it was the first time, and each pump becomes less and less. is this normal? i've tried supersetting bi's and tri's in different ways....
a bicep exercise of 3-4 sets with rest, then a tricep exercise
a bicep set followed by a tricep set with no rest
all of my bicep exercises then all of my tricep exercises

what do you guys do? and are you able to keep a pump in both muscles throughout your workout?

Sinister_TES
03-20-11, 12:25 am
i just started House's training split. it involves training biceps and triceps together on the same day. in the past, i usually split bi's and tri's on different days. my problem is that i'm having trouble maintaining my pump in both muscles throughout my workout. when i do a bicep movement, i get a good pump. but when i go to a tricep movement, i lose the pump in my bi. then when i go back to a bicep movement, the pump i get isn't as strong as it was the first time, and each pump becomes less and less. is this normal? i've tried supersetting bi's and tri's in different ways....
a bicep exercise of 3-4 sets with rest, then a tricep exercise
a bicep set followed by a tricep set with no rest
all of my bicep exercises then all of my tricep exercises

what do you guys do? and are you able to keep a pump in both muscles throughout your workout?
I wouldnt be too concerned with the pump becuase it doesnt indicate growth or prgogress. And for anyone about to argue this. jump on the floor and do 50 pushups...got a pump?... probly, but u arnt going to grow from it. Now if you really want to get a pump then: How much water are your drinking, are you ona a lwo carb diet, are you taking any supplements the enhance pumps.

Carrnage
03-20-11, 1:09 am
I wouldnt be too concerned with the pump becuase it doesnt indicate growth or prgogress. And for anyone about to argue this. jump on the floor and do 50 pushups...got a pump?... probly, but u arnt going to grow from it. Now if you really want to get a pump then: How much water are your drinking, are you ona a lwo carb diet, are you taking any supplements the enhance pumps.

bingo!!! dont train for the pump, obviously you should be pumped from each set, if not your obviously not using the targeted muscle

but to answer the original poster's question, just keep training hard with heavy pressing,dips,squats,rows and so on, stop worrying about maintaining a pump, yeah it feels good, but it feels even better when you only do 5 sets of dips and curls for arms and 2 days later you look in the mirror, and say...HEY! my arms grew from low volume! yaay!

hope that sorta makes sense....

Back To Basics
03-20-11, 5:38 am
Very true, don't train for just a pump because you and I both know you can do leg extensions till your legs feel like popping but you won't grow.

Pumps should come naturally if your doing it right.

mm_tris
03-20-11, 7:14 am
hahaha this thread reminds me of....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmxTpFt1Y3w&feature=related

music_man185
03-20-11, 10:22 am
thanks for all your advice. i usually dont worry so much about getting the pump. i usually go in and train hard and heavy. sometimes i get pumped up and sometimes not as much. i just recently changed my routine to animal routine #19. and changed my reps from 8's to 12's. by increasing my reps i've been getting insane pumps. what made me put a little more concern into the pump i was getting was an article i was reading.

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=16&section=training
"The whole point of training is to get the “pump.” The pump is it. Here’s how one pro described it: “The pump is the bodybuilder’s holy grail. It’s that full, engorged, satisfying feeling. There’s nothing like it in the world. If you do a set of curls and you get a pump, your biceps will be full of blood. All the nutrients that were in the blood, are now in that muscle. You’ve just fed them. You want to maximize and maintain this pump throughout your workout. If you lose the pump, you lose the entire workout. Since you don’t want to go into this unwanted territory, you must listen to your body. Say you’ve planned to do twelve sets on the bench. But maybe on your ninth set, you get this enormous, freakish pump. Forget the last three sets. Leave it alone. Go on to the next exercise. It takes a lot of practice and patience. Beginners don’t know what they’re looking for, that feeling; they don’t know how to link their mind to their muscle. It takes time to develop this awareness. But once you do, you’ll see results faster than you ever dreamed possible.”

MRmichael.hooker
03-20-11, 12:45 pm
im actually the opposite. If i train arms together, I get a much better pump lol. If I do bi's first, i get a good pump and on my first set of tris, the pump is fantastic because all that blood is already in the arms. Lee Priest supersets arms all the time because he says he gets the best results that way because his arms are just FULL of blood. Just like every single other aspect of training and dieting, it just depends on your body. If you feel a better workout doing arms seperate, do em that way. The House's split is what worked for Erik, doesn't mean it will work for you the exact same way. Do what you feel is right for your body

zubda345
03-20-11, 1:10 pm
Well this is the way ur biceps are after u do triceps... If U want the pump to last have animal Pump before u train, U'll have pump through out the day....

music_man185
03-20-11, 1:23 pm
taking rage right now

MRmichael.hooker
03-20-11, 3:11 pm
taking rage right now

Rage is a fantastic product, but rage brings the intensity. Animal Pump brings in the pump, hence the title. I recently took Ox's approach and stopped all preworkouts and rely completely on food. You don't HAVE to have a 'pump' product for a pump. Like someone already posted, Arnold lived for the pump in the 70's. There were no products to aid in the pump then like now, and they all still recieved the 'pump'

zubda345
03-20-11, 4:22 pm
Rage is a fantastic product, but rage brings the intensity. Animal Pump brings in the pump, hence the title. I recently took Ox's approach and stopped all preworkouts and rely completely on food. You don't HAVE to have a 'pump' product for a pump. Like someone already posted, Arnold lived for the pump in the 70's. There were no products to aid in the pump then like now, and they all still recieved the 'pump'

ARnold??? hell man... In my memory EVERY BODYBUILDER LIVES FOR THE PUMP!!!

Sprint
03-20-11, 6:28 pm
Very true, don't train for just a pump because you and I both know you can do leg extensions till your legs feel like popping but you won't grow.

Pumps should come naturally if your doing it right.

X2. I train for the pump, cos I love it, but as mentioned it just comes naturally for me, especially if time between sets is decreased.

Back To Basics
03-20-11, 6:51 pm
Well this is the way ur biceps are after u do triceps... If U want the pump to last have animal Pump before u train, U'll have pump through out the day....

Doesn't mean your going to grow if you have a pump all day though haha.

mm_tris
03-21-11, 11:08 am
There were no products to aid in the pump then like now, and they all still recieved the 'pump'

hahah... u sure about that one mate?

C.Coronato
03-21-11, 11:21 am
I train bis/tris/forearms together. Generally i do bis first, then tris. I get a pretty intense pump from bis, and it last maybe half way through tries and then starts to go.

As long as your getting pumped while doing the working sets, then your good to go bro.

MRmichael.hooker
03-21-11, 1:47 pm
hahah... u sure about that one mate?

well I know I wasnt there then, lol, but im sure it wasn't like it is today. Every single other magazine ad is a preworkout thats gonna be way stronger than the one u just read about on the previous page. And concentrated ones are superior, then the next page is how concentrated prew.o powders suck lol. Just meant that all the guys talked about training for the pump.

mm_tris
03-21-11, 10:45 pm
haha yeah for sure, pump products are off the chain these days.
i meant they used other things... like needles haha

IronWilson
03-23-11, 10:23 am
The reason why you feel that you are losing your pump is because you are supersetting opposing muscle groups. When you work your triceps, your biceps are forced to relax and vice-versa. If you were to train biceps with your back, you would keep the pump. But as stated by others, the pump doesn't necessarily indicate growth. So just keep doing what you're doing and don't sweat the pump.

MRmichael.hooker
03-27-11, 11:07 am
the best way i get a pump is extremely focusing on the mind-muscle connection. Doesn't matter if I do supersets, drop sets, triple drops, giant sets, or just a 3x6-8. Like this a.m., all my chest workouts were 3-4 sets of 8 reps, had a killer pump because I was really focusing on feeling the chest and stretching. The mind-muscle connection is always the most important part of training

Bruiser
03-27-11, 5:33 pm
I train Biceps and Triceps together. Here's my basic routine that works great. I superset with a bicep exercise followed directly by a tricep one. That's one set. I do this 4X with 3-4 different supersets.

4 Sets
Single arm overhead dumbell extension (8-10 reps)
superset with
Dumbell concentration curls (10-12 reps)

4 Sets
Skullcrushers (10-12 reps)
superset with
EZ Bar Curls (8-10 reps)

4 Sets
Close Grip Bench (10-12 reps)
superset with
Dumbell 21's
[each grouping is done back to back (bi's then tri's) as one set with no rest period, then repeated for four total sets with 1-2 minutes between sets]