PDA

View Full Version : Animal product and kidneys

Imjorman
03-23-11, 1:09 pm
So I have a nurse for a mom who constantly gets on me for using supplements. Well this summer were having this "be all end all battle" and getting my blood work done. Just so I know what to expect ahead of time how do animal products interact with the kidneys and blood stream? Do I have really anything to worry about (I don't figure I do, as all ingredients are natural products), but I'm curious none the less.

Grace/peace,

Jordan

dannynb
03-23-11, 1:13 pm
So I have a nurse for a mom who constantly gets on me for using supplements. Well this summer were having this "be all end all battle" and getting my blood work done. Just so I know what to expect ahead of time how do animal products interact with the kidneys and blood stream? Do I have really anything to worry about (I don't figure I do, as all ingredients are natural products), but I'm curious none the less.

Grace/peace,

Jordan

I just did my bloodwork done not to long ago and the only thing that showed up was my triglycerides are all out of whack but that's hereditary. Now I do take large amounts of creatine and it did show up as having elevated levels but nothing to be concerned with...I wouldn't sweat it.

Imjorman
03-23-11, 1:16 pm
I just did my bloodwork done not to long ago and the only thing that showed up was my triglycerides are all out of whack but that's hereditary. Now I do take large amounts of creatine and it did show up as having elevated levels but nothing to be concerned with...I wouldn't sweat it.

Yeah I only get the amount included in Pump so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Thanks Danny.

ghost
03-23-11, 1:17 pm
i get bloodwork done every other month. ive been taking animal supps for almost 10 years now. i have never had a problem. ever. if you make sure your diet, and training are in order, and that you are consuming enough water, then you have nothing to worry about.

Imjorman
03-23-11, 1:24 pm
i get bloodwork done every other month. ive been taking animal supps for almost 10 years now. i have never had a problem. ever. if you make sure your diet, and training are in order, and that you are consuming enough water, then you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks bro! Yeah I didn't figure there would be a problem. I know my diets fine and training is on spot, Danny's managing all that just fine I'm sure. I wasn't sure the extent the kidneys got hit by animal products, but considering everything in animal is natural based, I don't figure the kidneys are going "OMG WTF"

Aggression
03-23-11, 2:31 pm
I had bloodwork done about a year ago. I had no real issues that were related to taking supplements.

TigerAce01
03-23-11, 4:25 pm
I just had my regular bloodwork done and everything came back perfect except my liver enzymes. They were a bit high, but I spoke with my doctor about my overuse of Valerian root. I guess the Valuric Acid in the root can cause slight liver damage when used excessively. He gave me another medication for my anxiety and everything is peachy.

-Ace

Jay
03-23-11, 5:02 pm
My dads nurses, my doctor, anyone medical in my life tells me how bad those supplements are. ha. As stated I too have had blood work done, knock on wood nothing seriously wrong. I get blood work every few months. My doctor says " NOT TAKING ANY SUPPLEMENTS I HOPE" I say nope. He says good cuz creatine causes seizures and protein is bad for you. end of lecture.

rev8ball
03-23-11, 5:30 pm
I guess I'm really lucky with my Dr. I keep her updated with any changes in my supplement/diet/training regimens, and she keeps notes accordingly. Had some issues come back with some tests, and she said, "You're still taking your sport supplements, yes?" Hell, she even asked me one time a while back if I was taking in enough protein!

Mr. Dead
03-23-11, 5:40 pm
My dads nurses, my doctor, anyone medical in my life tells me how bad those supplements are. ha. As stated I too have had blood work done, knock on wood nothing seriously wrong. I get blood work every few months. My doctor says " NOT TAKING ANY SUPPLEMENTS I HOPE" I say nope. He says good cuz creatine causes seizures and protein is bad for you. end of lecture.

As a nurse... I must ask you to not take your supplements... They are bad for you... So, therefore... You must hand them over... To me... *LOL*

dannynb
03-23-11, 5:50 pm
I guess I'm really lucky with my Dr. I keep her updated with any changes in my supplement/diet/training regimens, and she keeps notes accordingly. Had some issues come back with some tests, and she said, "You're still taking your sport supplements, yes?" Hell, she even asked me one time a while back if I was taking in enough protein!

I've never had issues with my docs either. I keep her up to date on all supps/diet/training. Never once has she had anything negative about my choices. Only notice she gave was to keep my water intake and fiber up when I increase my protein when dieting.

Jay
03-23-11, 6:45 pm
I think if my doctor asked if i was taking enough protein id fall out of my chair.

Jay
03-23-11, 6:49 pm
As a nurse... I must ask you to not take your supplements... They are bad for you... So, therefore... You must hand them over... To me... *LOL*

LOL. you mean all of this????

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5526/img0449lv.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/i/img0449lv.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

TigerAce01
03-23-11, 8:29 pm

I actually have had several arguments with doctors regarding supplements, mostly regarding creatine. I usually school them in every argument they have, I even followed up with one of the PAs I had an argument with, citing several university articles to back myself up. Usually when I tell a doctor I'm a weightlifter, they treat me like an uneducated meathead...until they realize I know more about exercise physiology than most of them and their colleagues.

Doctors these days like to push artificial chemicals to solve issues for one reason...MONEY. Unless they can cite some good research in the reasons I should not use something that has other research backing it, I don't usually listen. For general health issues though, I'm all ears...

-Ace

Imjorman
03-23-11, 8:40 pm
I haven't been sick or felt bad since I started regular and appropriate supplementation. It's frustrating that people think Amino Acids, vitamins, and protein make you unhealthy. Makes me wonder how people get educated in the first place...

Jay
03-24-11, 3:53 am
Agreed. So many people are medicated with all types of medications, several a day. Yet you mention taking creatine or a protein drink and they act like your ingesting dangerous chemicals.

rev8ball
03-24-11, 10:06 am
I think if my doctor asked if i was taking enough protein id fall out of my chair.

Seriously. And if you saw her, it'd be even more of a shock: No bigger than a 5' tall and about 100 lbs petite little thing.....

Imjorman
03-24-11, 10:22 am
Like its frustrating going home to people that don't know anything about training/real nutrition. I did a write up about it in the living section about how lack of support sucks cause of misunderstanding. Maybe I need to do a re-understanding session around my house...

Mr. Dead
03-24-11, 12:10 pm
Like its frustrating going home to people that don't know anything about training/real nutrition. I did a write up about it in the living section about how lack of support sucks cause of misunderstanding. Maybe I need to do a re-understanding session around my house...

Try working in an envrionment that is filled with morbidly obese co-workers, that are nurses, who say that my diet and lifestyle are unhealthy... *LOL*

Imjorman
03-24-11, 1:10 pm
Try working in an envrionment that is filled with morbidly obese co-workers, that are nurses, who say that my diet and lifestyle are unhealthy... *LOL*

It's really quite ironic and sadly comical. Devoting my Saturday to a powerpoint of all Animal/Universal products (cause they're the only ones I use now) and handouts of ingredients: desired effects, main effects, and other tid bits of info. I'm tired of people assuming they know more than me just because they saw a guy on steroids once and negatively associate everything with it.

Like do people think that GNC is open because they are a corrupt drug industry that sells illegal products?

come on...

drebux
03-24-11, 1:55 pm
Like do people think that GNC is open because they are a corrupt drug industry that sells illegal products?

Since I work for GNC I must say that yes, yes we are a corrupt drug industry that sells illegal products. Seriously though, the other day a customer told me I was an idiot for consuming my daily 250-300 grams of protein since (wait for it) your body can only digest 40 grams of protein a day. Oh yeah. This guy was in medical school too. Hopefully I never go to him.

Imjorman
03-24-11, 2:04 pm
Since I work for GNC I must say that yes, yes we are a corrupt drug industry that sells illegal products. Seriously though, the other day a customer told me I was an idiot for consuming my daily 250-300 grams of protein since (wait for it) your body can only digest 40 grams of protein a day. Oh yeah. This guy was in medical school too. Hopefully I never go to him.

Bro didn't you know that just because the FDA says it, it must be true ?! (sarcasm)

drebux
03-24-11, 6:43 pm
Bro didn't you know that just because the FDA says it, it must be true ?! (sarcasm)

Yeah man, anything that the government says I totally believe 100% with all my heart. Oh wait, no I don't.

Jay
03-24-11, 9:15 pm
There was a guy on a talk show not too long ago. He was a bodybuilder. First natural and then other means. The whole show was dedicated to how bodybuilding ruined his life and as he said, quote " I DECIDED TO GIVE UP BODYBUILDING, AND DEVOTE MYSELF TO A HEALTHIER LIFE STYLE" The show went on about roid this, roid this, supplement this, bad for you that, YOU EAT CHICKEN 3 times aday??? YOUR GONNA GET CANCER! etc...

Its no wonder people have negative thoughts about it.

BarbellManiac
03-25-11, 12:21 am
Nothing is bad, even Roids, people think it can kill you. But the truth it, if used properly, they work great, you just need to know what you're doing. Same goes for any supplement, although much safer, if used properly will make you reap the benefit. It's very hard finding a doctor who knows about this lifestyle and understands what we go through.

Enforcer
03-25-11, 8:40 pm
Universal/Animal/Sportpharma products are all 100% natural products and if taken as intrsucted to on each label, you should not have any negative effects on your kidneys

toothpicklegs
03-27-11, 2:00 pm
What the FDA says is true though,
the trick is you have to be a 35 year old half-way-obese guy who sits in front of a desk 8 hours a day and spend the rest of his day in his couch, which has led to his metabolism dropping to 1k kcal/day.

The problem isn't that the FDA is a bunch of idiots, they're probably not.
The problem is that people as well as (especially)media love to take general guides like BMI and doing idiotic things with it like applying it as if it was exact numbers on each individual.

BMI is a great measurement for most populations, but it is completely useless for measuring each individual. Same goes for the FDA recomendations... if everyone followed them we'd be healthier in general, but many(Who mind what they ingest) would be taking several steps back if they followed it.

Btw funniest thing happened the other day here in Sweden. Our counterpart to your FDA(who btw are idiots for real), the "livsmedelsverket", losely translated "department of foods" made a studdy on 43 dietary supplemets.
Animal Pak was one of them. Here are some of their main complaints on Animal Pak:
1: The label was not in Swedish. (duuh)
2: It did not say it was a "kost-tillskott"(directly translated: diet-addition). I don't know about you but "dietary supplement seems like a fairly clear translation to me. then there were like 5 more of these missunderstandings due to poor english-swedish translations on their part.
3: there were some stuff in it that may be harmful during pregnancy if taken in (very)high doses, how many pregnant women will OD on A-pak? or take supps at all?
4: (Here comes the funny one): There is some compoud in A-pak that if you would for some reason take a quantity of it and smear your skin with it, could cause irritations in the skin if you are exposed to excessive ammounts of sunlight...

Is it just me or would it take an idiot to disolve his animalpak into liquid form and smear it on the outside? Sounds like that woman who tried to dry her little wet dog by putting in in her microwave on full effect for 10 minutes after a walk in the rain...

B.S.
03-28-11, 12:31 pm
What the FDA says is true though,
the trick is you have to be a 35 year old half-way-obese guy who sits in front of a desk 8 hours a day and spend the rest of his day in his couch, which has led to his metabolism dropping to 1k kcal/day.

The problem isn't that the FDA is a bunch of idiots, they're probably not.
The problem is that people as well as (especially)media love to take general guides like BMI and doing idiotic things with it like applying it as if it was exact numbers on each individual.

BMI is a great measurement for most populations, but it is completely useless for measuring each individual. Same goes for the FDA recomendations... if everyone followed them we'd be healthier in general, but many(Who mind what they ingest) would be taking several steps back if they followed it.

Btw funniest thing happened the other day here in Sweden. Our counterpart to your FDA(who btw are idiots for real), the "livsmedelsverket", losely translated "department of foods" made a studdy on 43 dietary supplemets.
Animal Pak was one of them. Here are some of their main complaints on Animal Pak:
1: The label was not in Swedish. (duuh)
2: It did not say it was a "kost-tillskott"(directly translated: diet-addition). I don't know about you but "dietary supplement seems like a fairly clear translation to me. then there were like 5 more of these missunderstandings due to poor english-swedish translations on their part.
3: there were some stuff in it that may be harmful during pregnancy if taken in (very)high doses, how many pregnant women will OD on A-pak? or take supps at all?
4: (Here comes the funny one): There is some compoud in A-pak that if you would for some reason take a quantity of it and smear your skin with it, could cause irritations in the skin if you are exposed to excessive ammounts of sunlight...

Is it just me or would it take an idiot to disolve his animalpak into liquid form and smear it on the outside? Sounds like that woman who tried to dry her little wet dog by putting in in her microwave on full effect for 10 minutes after a walk in the rain...

hahahahahahaha, that is all