PDA

View Full Version : 300+lbs Art Atwood training / method, awesome!

Carrnage
03-24-11, 11:38 pm
Art Atwood was and still is a huge mofo!!! He was a super high volume trainer, can't argue with the results, everyone who trained with high volume was also huge but at the same time had superior shape!

And yes in the article and training program listed below, I am aware he is trying to "advertise" his products, so before any of you make this thread a civil war just remember, I warned you first, yes he is advertising, but the man does have knowledge!

Article/info - http://www.professionalsupplements.net/super-size/default.asp

SuperSize Training Program!- http://www.professionalsupplements.net/super-size/art/SuperSizeWorkout.pdf

Please keep this thread positive, I know some of you on here hate me....im innocent i tell ya!!!

IronWilson
03-25-11, 12:37 am
Finally. Why can't we at least give some validity to high-volume training these days?

I wonder about that 1/4 reps at the end of every exercise with heavier weight than you can handle for a full range of motion though. I don't really think that would "create new muscle cells." Sounds like bro science.

Carrnage
03-25-11, 2:03 pm
Finally. Why can't we at least give some validity to high-volume training these days?

I wonder about that 1/4 reps at the end of every exercise with heavier weight than you can handle for a full range of motion though. I don't really think that would "create new muscle cells." Sounds like bro science.

Well Art Atwood doesnt spit out bro science, it may sound like it yes, but its all 100 percent true....but that doesnt nessarily mean that the 1/4 power partial reps will work for everyone, shit most of you will get hurt, something a powerlifter does, but ever since ive been doing power partials for my side laterals...strength has been going up tremondously on that movement every week!

Aggression
03-25-11, 3:08 pm

I didn't read the above article, but I'm familiar with the idea behind 1/4 reps. Even though they're not full ROM, you're still using SOME movement with a weight that you normally couldn't handle for a full 10 reps, full ROM. It enables your body to become acquainted with heavier weight all while still ripping some muscle fibers down. Its not something you want to do for all sets and reps, but its a helpful tool at the end of a certain exercise for a few reps. Once you decide to go up in weight for a 'normal' set, your body will already be adjusted to a heavier weight due to the partials and you'll get better reps.

IronWilson
03-26-11, 2:39 am
I didn't read the above article, but I'm familiar with the idea behind 1/4 reps. Even though they're not full ROM, you're still using SOME movement with a weight that you normally couldn't handle for a full 10 reps, full ROM. It enables your body to become acquainted with heavier weight all while still ripping some muscle fibers down. Its not something you want to do for all sets and reps, but its a helpful tool at the end of a certain exercise for a few reps. Once you decide to go up in weight for a 'normal' set, your body will already be adjusted to a heavier weight due to the partials and you'll get better reps.

I can believe that it could increase strength, like you said, by training firing neurons in your brain. So you get used to the weight by experiencing it. But as far as physically growing muscle with 1/4 reps, I really don't think it will do much for most people. I honestly don't think you can just develop muscle cells by activating slow twitch muscle fibers over a very short range of motion. The only people that this will work for is people with shorter limbs. Take Branch Warren for instance. Look at the way he trains. He can grow better by doing partial movements because of his shorter limbs. I don't know if Art Atwood has shorter limbs but this could be the reason he preaches it.

Aggression
03-26-11, 1:57 pm
I can believe that it could increase strength, like you said, by training firing neurons in your brain. So you get used to the weight by experiencing it. But as far as physically growing muscle with 1/4 reps, I really don't think it will do much for most people. I honestly don't think you can just develop muscle cells by activating slow twitch muscle fibers over a very short range of motion. The only people that this will work for is people with shorter limbs. Take Branch Warren for instance. Look at the way he trains. He can grow better by doing partial movements because of his shorter limbs. I don't know if Art Atwood has shorter limbs but this could be the reason he preaches it.

Doing partials won't directly help you build more muscle, but it will in an indirect way. By getting your body accustomed to utilizing heavy weights, even if over a small ROM, it will help with control once you pick up that heavier dumbbell for a full ROM. Remember, we're not growing muscle in the gym. Its all about breaking down those muscle fibers with every set and rep. For the sake of this argument, even if you're only breaking down 1/4 of the muscle by doing those partials, its still better than breaking down 0% of those fibers. Also, remember, in this case, you'd be doing full ROM reps before you hit the partials. The partials are just that little bit extra. And as we all know, its that little bit of extra effort that leads to big gains over a period of time.

IronWilson
03-26-11, 2:14 pm
Doing partials won't directly help you build more muscle, but it will in an indirect way. By getting your body accustomed to utilizing heavy weights, even if over a small ROM, it will help with control once you pick up that heavier dumbbell for a full ROM. Remember, we're not growing muscle in the gym. Its all about breaking down those muscle fibers with every set and rep. For the sake of this argument, even if you're only breaking down 1/4 of the muscle by doing those partials, its still better than breaking down 0% of those fibers. Also, remember, in this case, you'd be doing full ROM reps before you hit the partials. The partials are just that little bit extra. And as we all know, its that little bit of extra effort that leads to big gains over a period of time.

I agree with you

In the article, Art Atwood states that doing partials DIRECTLY creates new muscle cells. That is what I disagree with.

Carrnage
03-26-11, 3:42 pm

lol its not because of short limbs, there science between partial movements, for example, powerlifters use box squats, rack deads, rack presses....thats what Art Atwood is referring to, it forces your body to release certain hormones that will let your nervous system adapt to the weight, though incoporating it in the same day of a high volume, extreme failure training day would just make most of us crash and get overtrained for like 2 months just from 1 session! lol!

GUNS
03-27-11, 2:44 am
I agree with partials. Not every single workout, and not an entire set of partials. I use them at the end, say if Im going for around 12 reps on side laterals, if I hit 13-14, I will still keep going even if it is only a half rep for 3-4 more reps. This just simply works. The last few reps in your sets are what builds muscle, well tears them apart to rebuild. So why wouldn't you push yourself past that last full rep and hit partials. No bro science there.

Carrnage
03-27-11, 3:45 pm
I agree with partials. Not every single workout, and not an entire set of partials. I use them at the end, say if Im going for around 12 reps on side laterals, if I hit 13-14, I will still keep going even if it is only a half rep for 3-4 more reps. This just simply works. The last few reps in your sets are what builds muscle, well tears them apart to rebuild. So why wouldn't you push yourself past that last full rep and hit partials. No bro science there.

Try the power partials with super heavy poundages, like if you can usually do 25's for 10-15, try the 50's and go for 6-8 partials, pull with your pinky though!

IronWilson
03-27-11, 10:35 pm
I agree with all that is being said. Heck, I have used it once in awhile in my own training. What I do not agree with is that in the article, it says that partials directly create new muscle cells via IGF-1 growth hormone release or some bullcrap like that. I don't really buy that. Unless there is a study that says otherwise?

I think that partials can help in your training, like you guys said, by releasing signals in your body that get you used to the weight. Nothing more, nothing less.

Carrnage
03-27-11, 10:40 pm
I agree with all that is being said. Heck, I have used it once in awhile in my own training. What I do not agree with is that in the article, it says that partials directly create new muscle cells via IGF-1 growth hormone release or some bullcrap like that. I don't really buy that. Unless there is a study that says otherwise?

I think that partials can help in your training, like you guys said, by releasing signals in your body that get you used to the weight. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course theres a study that says it....why would Art Atwood spit un true things aka broscience? Art is the man, he as years of research under his belt. And just because you release more igf-1 during a movement doesnt mean its going to make you into a freak, but itl help! Always look at things positively, instead of saying....oh it must be bullshit.

IronWilson
03-28-11, 10:11 am
Of course theres a study that says it....why would Art Atwood spit un true things aka broscience? Art is the man, he as years of research under his belt. And just because you release more igf-1 during a movement doesnt mean its going to make you into a freak, but itl help! Always look at things positively, instead of saying....oh it must be bullshit.

When looking at an ad for selling supplements, one must always take the information with a grain of salt.

Carrnage
03-28-11, 3:11 pm
When looking at an ad for selling supplements, one must always take the information with a grain of salt.

True, but Art Atwood knows his shit, have you spoke to him personally or even seen him?

I have.

IronWilson
03-28-11, 4:58 pm
True, but Art Atwood knows his shit, have you spoke to him personally or even seen him?

I have.

I've seen him. Insane legs! I do wonder what he has been up to lately though. You don't hear much about him.

Carrnage
03-29-11, 12:21 am
I've seen him. Insane legs! I do wonder what he has been up to lately though. You don't hear much about him.

Yeah man hes just dealing with life right now, i wish he would come back into the bodybuilding scene somehow, i hope Steve Blechman signs him to MD soon, dude has the biggest chest in bodybuilding history!

LegendKillerJosh
03-29-11, 12:36 am
lol its not because of short limbs, there science between partial movements, for example, powerlifters use box squats, rack deads, rack presses....thats what Art Atwood is referring to, it forces your body to release certain hormones that will let your nervous system adapt to the weight, though incoporating it in the same day of a high volume, extreme failure training day would just make most of us crash and get overtrained for like 2 months just from 1 session! lol!

Ya it's the exercises that forces his body to release hormones, I'm sure he's not just injecting them. Ok I'm being sarcastic cause natural athletes can't possibly do what pro's do. If it was really as simple as he says to gain an inch on every muscle and gain 15 pounds per month EVERYBODY ON EARTH WOULD BE WALKING AROUND AS A GIANT!

Carrnage
03-29-11, 1:01 am
Ya it's the exercises that forces his body to release hormones, I'm sure he's not just injecting them. Ok I'm being sarcastic cause natural athletes can't possibly do what pro's do. If it was really as simple as he says to gain an inch on every muscle and gain 15 pounds per month EVERYBODY ON EARTH WOULD BE WALKING AROUND AS A GIANT!

Umm I know that?