PDA

View Full Version : Back to basics for a while..., but what about Nitro?

toothpicklegs
03-26-11, 11:45 am
Like the topic says I'm goen back to basics for a while...
I'll get to my question at the bottom...
So I'm basicly dumping the caffeine, preworkout products and stuff, and just replacing them with creatine monohydrate,
As for other supps I'm keeping the A- Pak&omega, changing the gainer for a protein shake,
I will be using a separate carbohydrate source instead which i will mix a small ammount with the creatine, then drink alone during workout and have a little mixed in with the protein after workout. sometime I'll throw in a banana after workout along with the shake.

Overall food intake is 1 huge meal(breakfast1200~kcal), 2 big meals(700~kcal) and 3 small meals(200 kcal~), alternating for every 2-3 hours and all containing 25-50 grams of protein + the following supp schedual with workout:
20 minutes before workout: 2-3 grams creatine(monohydrate) with 5-10 grams of carbohydrates
during workout: 2-3grams of creatine with 50-70 grams of carbs
directly postworkout(after stretching which takes 10 minutes or so): 1 pack Nitro
When I get home: 25 grams of protein, 15 grams of carbs, 2-3 grams of creatine
Workout is done virtually every day.

Now to my question: do I need the wait until taking Nitro and then wait more before taking the protein? or can I just get the pills and the shake down together directly after working out, and if so can I do it already before stretching?
Intuitively it feels like just getting the building blocks in there as fast as possible should be the objective for the nutrients after a workout session, shouldn't it?

PORTERHOUSE
03-27-11, 3:59 pm
Nitro contains free-form animos. Protein needs to be broken down first. Taking the two at the same time can cause them to compete, thus rendering the nitro ineffective and a waste of money. Take nitro immediately after training with some simple sugars (i bring my own gatorade powder), then if you feel you need to use protein powder, take it 30 mins later or so.

Or if you want to be even more effective, stick with the nitro and sugars, and ditch the protein powder. 30 mins later or so, when you would normally be consuming the protein powder, eat some real food, beef and rice maybe. With protein powder, you're really just pissing your money away... literally.

toothpicklegs
03-27-11, 4:55 pm
makes sence, any way to not piss awa the protein from the shake? would adding fast carbs to it do the trick maybe?

IronWilson
03-27-11, 10:47 pm
If you are going to go back to basics, why use creatine? You can get your creatine from whole food sources. Just eat more red meat. Caffeine is actually very beneficial for your body, as long as you don't abuse it.

I have done the same recently. So preworkout I just have a cup of coffee and it feels the same as any preworkout product. You don't need a creatine powder. You can get as much as your body will absorb from whole food sources.

You can choose either whey protein or Nitro. There is no need to get both. I think you will like just using basic supps. As I know I have.

toothpicklegs
03-28-11, 12:01 pm
Thing is from what i understand I need a ton of red meat to get a gram of creatine.

And creatine is dirt-cheap compared to PWOs. The reason I want to get away from the caffeine products is that i think I have built up a resistance... it's like I almost need the caffeine/stims to get to a normal state of concentration, or wake up in the morning so I'm goen off of them until the resistance has gone away...
And for quite a while now I've been using a whole stack of stuff both animal products and other. I think it's good for the body to take a break from them, both because the effect is probably not as high if I keep going at them, and because I think the body needs a rest between em every now and then.

Basics for me means just taking the natural stuff I also get through wholefoods, meaning proteins/aminos, creatine and carbs.

But maybe I've underestimated the creatine content in red meat, how high is it? I'm having trouble finding numbers on this... many websites will say that creatine is found in red meat, but not how much the typical types of meat actually contain.

IronWilson
03-28-11, 1:16 pm
Thing is from what i understand I need a ton of red meat to get a gram of creatine.

And creatine is dirt-cheap compared to PWOs. The reason I want to get away from the caffeine products is that i think I have built up a resistance... it's like I almost need the caffeine/stims to get to a normal state of concentration, or wake up in the morning so I'm goen off of them until the resistance has gone away...
And for quite a while now I've been using a whole stack of stuff both animal products and other. I think it's good for the body to take a break from them, both because the effect is probably not as high if I keep going at them, and because I think the body needs a rest between em every now and then.

Basics for me means just taking the natural stuff I also get through wholefoods, meaning proteins/aminos, creatine and carbs.

But maybe I've underestimated the creatine content in red meat, how high is it? I'm having trouble finding numbers on this... many websites will say that creatine is found in red meat, but not how much the typical types of meat actually contain.

A pound of red meat has about 2 grams of creatine. A pound of herring has about 3 grams of creatine. Chicken, turkey, and most fish also contain notable amounts of creatine. Fish provides both a direct source of creatine as well as an adequate supply of dietary methionine (essential protein) for new creatine synthesis. Another really good (but often overlooked.) source of creatine is sushi. Something like Salmon rolls are going to be as high in creatine as red meat, but it is uncooked. Heat degrades creatine.

Now, in one meal, you would not be able to get as much creatine as you would with a scoop of creatine monohydrate. But throughout the day, with at the very least 4 meals, you would be getting an appreciable amount of creatine from just eating meat.

Let's say you are taking a scoop of creatine, which we will say is about 5 grams of creatine, pre or post workout. You are consuming about the same throughout the day from your food.

We also must consider how much of the creatine you are absorbing. I believe you absorb it better from whole foods. You can mega dose creatine, but your body quite simply will not absorb it. I'm not saying supplementing with creatine is wrong. I just think that as long as you are going off all of your supplements, it will do you no harm to go off creatine as the amount you are already probably getting from your diet is fine.

Phil800101
03-28-11, 1:43 pm
If you're going to take Nitro post-workout, as was said take it immediately and then wait at least 30 minutes before drinking a shake or eating. If I were choosing between a shake and Nitro, I would definitely pick the Nitro.

It's easy to substitute whole foods for what you get in a shake, but on the flip side it's very hard to find a substitute for the free form, fast acting aminos in Nitro.

toothpicklegs
03-28-11, 4:07 pm
If you're going to take Nitro post-workout, as was said take it immediately and then wait at least 30 minutes before drinking a shake or eating. If I were choosing between a shake and Nitro, I would definitely pick the Nitro.

It's easy to substitute whole foods for what you get in a shake, but on the flip side it's very hard to find a substitute for the free form, fast acting aminos in Nitro.

True... I'll use the remainder of my protein for inbetween-meals with bananas and milk instead of post workout then..

Phil800101
03-28-11, 4:27 pm
True... I'll use the remainder of my protein for inbetween-meals with bananas and milk instead of post workout then..

Good call. I drink my shake for breakfast, Nitro pre and post workout, and then about 30-60 minutes after the Nitro I eat some whole food.