PDA

View Full Version : Pros or well known athletes that depend heavily on protein powders

jeff00z28
03-29-11, 3:33 pm
My theory has always been that it's best to eat real food but shakes are icing on the cake. But recently I've spoken to some well known bodybuilders In the area who depend heavily on shakes. Keep in Mind I mean just for protein, they do not neglect carbs, greens, fats etc. I have heard Scott mendelson takes in a lot of shakes per day as well. I am looking for some opinions on this because I enjoy shakes.

C.Coronato
03-29-11, 4:26 pm
You gotta do what works best for you. I know some guys who work 3 meals and 3 shakes, and it works. Through my off season i was doing 4 meals, and 2 shakes. It was cheaper, and easier to get the meals down.

Dont do something because someone says no, its not going to work. Everyone is different and responds differently. If shakes work for you, then by all means brother, use them up.

ToSo
03-29-11, 4:53 pm
I do three meals and three shakes, and I found that works best for me. Since I'm in classes almost all day this is the best way for me to get the needed protein and calories in order to keep me going.

jeff00z28
03-29-11, 7:10 pm
i have been eating 8 times per day and 4 of them are shakes. they keep me from having a dry mouth and constantly having to floss.

Back To Basics
03-29-11, 7:36 pm
If I had a choice and the money, I would definitely go with all whole foods with good quality fresh fish in it. But you and I both know that it would be expensive. So right now I hit around 4-5 whole meals and 1-2 shakes so I eat 6 meals a day, the shakes make me feel kind of shitty and sluggish most times but thats whats cheaper so gotta do it.

Survivor831
03-29-11, 9:09 pm
whole food all day long as long as I have the time to eat. It also depends on my appetite. I'll eat anywhere from six to eight meals a day. If Im eating eight meals a couple of them are shakes. I always start my day with a Real Gains shake with some fruit. Its a great way to get in a lot of quality calories very quickly and I can eat again in a couple of hours. Sometimes a shake just sounds really good, so I go with it.

IronWilson
03-29-11, 11:36 pm
Scott Mendelson also takes in many thousands of calories. To get in that amount of food, shakes are needed. And I'm sure its not just whey protein but a gainer or something.

Whey is protein. Just like chicken or tuna, but lacks many of the things red meat and fish do.

Universal Rep
03-30-11, 3:05 pm
Scott Mendelson also takes in many thousands of calories. To get in that amount of food, shakes are needed. And I'm sure its not just whey protein but a gainer or something.

This. Shakes are a convenient, easy and effective way to supplement ur protein intake from whole foods. Plus, it digests quickly, meaning more room for the next whole food meal. Same principle applies to weight gainers.

rev8ball
03-30-11, 4:15 pm
I love shakes, probably more than the next guy. But Damn! There is nothing like the feeling of my teeth tearing through animal flesh!

violator
03-30-11, 4:30 pm
fuck protien shakes, just liquidize whole foods.

tell me you love me.

BarbellManiac
03-30-11, 11:46 pm
I used to do 2-3 shakes with 3 whole food meals, switched everything to whole food and feel a lot better. Have more energy and feel great. Shakes are great if they work for you, you can easily get 30-40 grams of protein from a shake, but nothing beats whole food. Natural food has extra vitamins and nutrients that make you feel good, shakes are well, just protein. Either way find what works for you. For me it's Whole Food FTW!

jeff00z28
04-02-11, 12:03 pm
the shakes make me feel kind of shitty and sluggish most times but thats whats cheaper so gotta do it.

i agree thats y i never have just protein in water, theres always oats, fruit, pb, etc or ill just eat something not too filling with the shake like a banana

prowrestler
04-03-11, 1:46 am
4 big ass shakes a day. live by it

Beowulf
04-05-11, 10:31 am
I'll admit, when I'm bulking I add a few shakes. I might add them between solid meals or a small shake immediately after a solid meal.

Aggression
04-05-11, 11:08 am
Everyone has their ways. I used to rely on shakes more than I do now. A few years back, it was 4 whole food meals and 2 shakes. For a while, I was using ZERO shakes and getting great results. To each, their own.

Cstlfx
04-06-11, 2:09 am
I had to add something that no one's touched on yet. Guys like Mendelson are powerlifters. He's also a large powerlifter, that uses gear. He spends hours and hours and hours in his gear to perfect his bench press. If he loses a pound or two, the way he wears his gear changes, thus changing how he lefts and whether or not he makes his lift. He relies on weight gainer shakes, says about 7500 calories out of 12000 daily.

I dont know about you guys, but if I had to chew all 12000 calories in a day, not only would my jaw be jacked, but I think that counts as cardio.

GUNS
04-06-11, 2:51 am
fuck protien shakes, just liquidize whole foods.

tell me you love me. The Poundstone Chicken Shake!

I have done both where I eat 5 -6 food meals with one shake before bed, and I am currently 4 meals with 3 shakes. I would agree that whole food meals keep you fuller and a little harder. But it is not always easy to stay on that many whole food meals. So shakes are more of a conveinience thing. My shake of choice is RG, so many additions instead of just plain Whey. I am cutting for the next month so I have dropped the RG for Ultra, dropping carbs out of a few meals. Keeping some nuts and PB in there though.

You deffinately need to find out what work for yourself, financially, conveiniently.