PDA

View Full Version : Advice on training routine please!

Lukeyb
03-29-11, 6:06 pm
Hey guys, im new here so not sure if im posting this in the right place.
I'm just curious if my training split looks okay, any advice would be appreciated.

* Few quick facts: 17 yo, 6' - 6'1 220lb @ ~10%ish
Mon: Arms
Rope pushdown 4x 8-12 (I do 2 warm up sets of around 20 to get some blood into my elbows)
Skull crushers 6x 8-12
Dips or CGBP 4x 6-12
Straight Bar pushdown or Single Arm Cable pushdown (Alternate weekly) 4x 8-12

Barbell curl 4x 8-12
Dumbell Hammer Curl (Seated) 4x 8-12
Cable Preacher or Concentration Curl 4x 8-12

Tues: Hams + Abs
Lying Hamstring Curl 4x 8-12
Standing Hamstring Curl 4x 8-12
Stiff Legged Deadlift 3x 8-12
Back Hyperextensions (I stretch hamstrings at the bottom) 2x10

Weds: Delts
Smith Machine Shoulder Press or Dumbell (Alternate weekly) 4x 6-10
Standing Side Laterals 3x 8-12
Upright Row 4x 8-12
Dumbell or Smith Machine (Whichever I didn't do for excercise 1) 3x 6-10
Front Raises SS w/ Seated Lateral 4x 8-12

Thurs: Quads
Squats 6x 8-12
Leg Press 4x 10-14
Walking Barbell Lunges 3x 20
Leg Extensions 4x 10-12

Fri : Chest + Abs
Incline Dumbell or Smith Machine (Alternate weekly)4x 6-12
Flat Dumbell or Bench (Alternating weekly) 4x 8-12
Incline Flyes 4x 8-12
Incline Hammer strength 3x 8-12
Cable Flye SS with Push up negatives 3x 8-12

Sat: Back & Rear Delts
Wide grip chins 4x - Failure
Deadlift 4x 6-10
Close Grip Pulldown 4x 8-12
Bent over row 4x 6-10
V-Bar row 3x 6-10
Rope Pullover 4x 10-14

Rear Delt Raise 4x 8-12
High Rope Pull 4x12-14

I used to take thursday off and do quads& hams together,but decided to try bring up hams so gave them their own day.

Carrnage
03-29-11, 6:11 pm
Advice on training routine? You shouldnt be asking us that!! Only you know what works for your body!! Alot of kids ask this question (im not saying your kid!) but you gota go in the gym find what works best for your body. For example everyone says a heavy military press is how you build big shoulders, for me, it tears up my ligaments so i opted for a high volume apporach doing my presses in the middle to last in my workout now.

Lukeyb
03-30-11, 3:02 am
okay thanks for the reply :)

mm_tris
03-30-11, 5:41 am
Routine looks good. Thought I had you at rear delts but then scrolled down haha.
Volume is quite high with 6 days a week, but the split leg days give your upper body some extra rest.

To get picky you are training delts wednesday and chest friday which isn't much rest...Same applies with your deads and squats.
My tip here would be just to keep varying your training pattern and don't train on a mon-to-sat schedule- be instinctive.

Lukeyb
03-31-11, 3:23 am
Routine looks good. Thought I had you at rear delts but then scrolled down haha.
Volume is quite high with 6 days a week, but the split leg days give your upper body some extra rest.

To get picky you are training delts wednesday and chest friday which isn't much rest...Same applies with your deads and squats.
My tip here would be just to keep varying your training pattern and don't train on a mon-to-sat schedule- be instinctive.

Thanks for the tips.
Usually I'm recovered in time for deads and squats as this is my offseason routine, and same applies for chest/shoulders.
I'll look at changing it up and see what I can do.
Cheers :)

JasonG
03-31-11, 9:09 am
Advice on training routine? You shouldnt be asking us that!! Only you know what works for your body!! Alot of kids ask this question (im not saying your kid!) but you gota go in the gym find what works best for your body. For example everyone says a heavy military press is how you build big shoulders, for me, it tears up my ligaments so i opted for a high volume apporach doing my presses in the middle to last in my workout now.

This

Gemini
03-31-11, 5:27 pm
I would make this sugguestion to your biceps. Instead of the 3 simple exercises you have which I might add all are targeting your inner bicep (small head) I would split the BB curl into 2 workouts. Do 2 sets Wide Grip and 2 sets Close grip. Because depending on the width of which you are doing your curl you will only target 1 head of your Bi's. Conversely if you keep that workout they wont grow evenly and youll have more strength and growth in 1 bicep head over the other. Id also maybe do 1 week preacher curl other week concentration curls. Maybe even throw incline curls in there which would target your outer bicep (long head). Just a thought. Your workout for your biceps IMO is way too linear. Im from a school of thought of 1 body part a week which people might not agree on but works. But im not suggesting you do that but my other train of thought is SCIENCE. I incorperate science into my routines. The science part is the angles of a workout. Id throw in the wide grip and close grip BB curl 2 sets for each. And maybe alternate each week with preacher curls and conectration curls. As well as maybe throw in every other week incline curls. It would give you more of a complete bicep workout. Which will target your forearms at the same time. That way both heads of your biceps will grow evenly as well as technically grow more since your working out both and not primaryily one. Just a thought. -Gem