PDA

View Full Version : Week Off?

Shorts
04-13-11, 9:51 pm
Well Went into Squatting today and Couldn't squat right, a week ago I was fine squatting 245 with great form. but today I was going low with knees driving outwards but kept my chest up way to high, i felt a strain in lower back all day, even dropped from 250 to 225 and still felt it

any advise? I'm thinking of taking a week off the Weights.

DanTheMan
04-13-11, 10:01 pm
Well Went into Squatting today and Couldn't squat right, a week ago I was fine squatting 245 with great form. but today I was going low with knees driving outwards but kept my chest up way to high, i felt a strain in lower back all day, even dropped from 250 to 225 and still felt it

lower the weight and work on form bud... it ain't all about how much you can move.
but everyone has their bad days...
change up variation of squats. do front squats. just get your leg workout in bruddah.

Mr.X
04-13-11, 11:22 pm
lower the weight and work on form bud... it ain't all about how much you can move.
but everyone has their bad days...
change up variation of squats. do front squats. just get your leg workout in bruddah.

true, plus if you wanna hit big weight ya gotta eat big

Carrnage
04-14-11, 12:26 am

Yeah man stop going so damn heavy every single week, its not about the weight you put up, its about how you make the muscle fire, i gurantee you that when you squat 250 you arnt using much quads,hams....majority of the work is on your big ass. Stay with 185 and on the negative part of the rep (ur way down) count 3 seconds, then explode up, if you cant do that, your going too dam heavy!

Theres a difference between training your body/joints, than to training your "muscles". Be smart.

And yes take a week off to let your body recover and your nervous system to recover. Also incorporate various training techniques to prevent injury and stagnation, such as, DC,Bosshog,high volume training, german volume training,FST-7, pre-exhaust, supersets, giant sets, low volume HIT style, drop sets.

zubda345
04-14-11, 4:49 am
Bad time is on me in the gym right now I make sure I use low weight and try to correct my form as much as I can that's the only way to do it, but if U feel u r goin down on every exercise and form ain't gettin good no matter what u do what u eat.... Take a week off and refresh ur body...

Shorts
04-14-11, 8:28 am
okay thanks guys, yea definitely going down the weight and re correcting the form..and yea I've been getting the technique good the past month but all of sudden i bump up 5lbs and everything messed up. 225 was easy for me last couple weeks. Anyways taking a Week off yea think I'm going to do that.

Aggression
04-14-11, 8:33 am
okay thanks guys, yea definitely going down the weight and re correcting the form..and yea I've been getting the technique good the past month but all of sudden i bump up 5lbs and everything messed up. 225 was easy for me last couple weeks. Anyways taking a Week off yea think I'm going to do that.

Perfect your form NOW, rather than later. I squatted 'wrong' for the first 5 years of my career of lifting. I couldn't squat more than 275 for a few reps. I went back to the drawing board last spring and started fresh. I reworked EVERYTHING. I had to drop down the weight for a few months, but now I'm squatting 315lbs+ for the same, if not more reps than I could do with 275 a year ago. It takes time, but work at it. Slow but steady. Always.

Shorts
04-14-11, 8:43 am
Thnx Aggression, Jeez sorry, that's the last thing i want. Upon the next Weeks return I'll definitely fix the Squat form, probably going to start all over @ 185lbs

dannynb
04-14-11, 8:44 am
Form is key on every lift you do. Go lighter and work on and like stated previously, try other variations of squats - change up stance width, front squats, sissy squats, box Squats. If you're feeling a bit run down then by all means take a little time off and come back refreshed.

Shorts
04-14-11, 8:47 am
Yea, I'm not feeling so much worn out, Still feel good Besides my lower part of my back, its a bit bothering, and balance on one foot and can feel a bit pinch, not big pain or nothing just a bit. but bothering me because i never felt back pain before. I always try to practice good back posture, bending at knees, or sit good when sitting down.

dannynb
04-14-11, 8:59 am
Yea, I'm not feeling so much worn out, Still feel good Besides my lower part of my back, its a bit bothering, and balance on one foot and can feel a bit pinch, not big pain or nothing just a bit. but bothering me because i never felt back pain before. I always try to practice good back posture, bending at knees, or sit good when sitting down.

In that case, no squatting or deads until it eases up. Still train just train around it. Try leg press and such for now. As for the pain, try a massage therapist and/or a chiropractor....helps my bumps, bruises, strains and alignment issues.

Carrnage
04-14-11, 1:13 pm

Read my post again and incorporate different training techniques bro!!

And for squats, dont worry about the weight, just worry about the slow negative, jay only goes up to 275-315 on smith machine squats....but he can squat 600 for 8-12!! Why doesnt he go superheavy? Because with 275-315 for him, he feels the muscles stretching and contracting properly, your weights are a tool. Use em right.

My advice to you is to stick with 185 for a year until you feel your legs super pumped from each set, then slowly add weight.

Bruiser
04-14-11, 1:20 pm
If you're debating a week off... you probably need one!! I know when I think I might need a week of R&R I'll ask everybody else for their opinion becasue it's hard to make yourself do it. Take care and rest up. Then work on form when you hit it again.

Shorts
04-14-11, 4:20 pm
If you're debating a week off... you probably need one!! I know when I think I might need a week of R&R I'll ask everybody else for their opinion becasue it's hard to make yourself do it. Take care and rest up. Then work on form when you hit it again.

Mos def. Yea taking a Good 7 days off.

Then on that Monday I'll Hit 185lbs and build back form on that. and definitely incorporate different lower body workouts.
Might get off the Rippetoes, and Use a Animal Routine for the summer then back to Rippetoe for Fall

Bruiser
04-14-11, 4:27 pm

Then on that Monday I'll Hit 185lbs and build back form on that. and definitely incorporate different lower body workouts.
Might get off the Rippetoes, and Use a Animal Routine for the summer then back to Rippetoe for Fall

Good idea bro. I think I'm going to have to heed my own advice. I need to take a week as well to get over this infection I've got. I guess sometimes you got to say it out loud to realize it though. Good luck with the R&R.

Shorts
04-14-11, 5:48 pm
Mos def. Its going to be one Long long week.

Shorts
04-14-11, 8:29 pm
So during the week off, Do completely avoid working out with squats/deadlifts/bench/

can i still do workouts such as HIIT, Bodyweight exercises push ups, burpees, pull ups, hanging leg raises?

or completely take off the week?

Carrnage
04-14-11, 8:41 pm

Try different techniques every week, such as supersets,giant sets,pre-exhuast, DC, FST-7, High volume, German Volume, lower volume, i wouldnt stick to the same thing every single week. I mean thats if you wantto grow bigger and stronger.

BarbellManiac
04-14-11, 8:45 pm
I take a week off once a year. De-loading is good every 14 weeks, currently I love training do that even. In love with Dorian's HIT training style. During a de-load lower the weight and try exercises you always wanted to try. Have fun with it.

Cellardweller
04-14-11, 8:51 pm

Now there's the shit right there. Most people need someone to light a fire under their ass to get into the gym. Real Animals can't make themselves stop going.

D-Kev
04-15-11, 1:06 am
Week off never hurt anyone...Gotta think of the big picture and stayin in the game long term