PDA

View Full Version : Smith machine close grip bench press

Jzepp
04-16-11, 1:57 am
Where should you lower the bar to fully work the triceps? to the nipple/lower chest area or mid chest?

prowrestler
04-16-11, 2:12 am
Where should you lower the bar to fully work the triceps? to the nipple/lower chest area or mid chest?

tuck the elbows, then keep the hands over the elbow...where ever that is on you torso is where you need to be.

if you do lower it higher up on the torso though, it will be more tricep dominant of an exercise, but turn into more of a JM press

BarbellManiac
04-16-11, 1:04 pm
Gotta find what works for you, for me it's like close to mid pectoral.

P.S- Why not try regular bar CGBP?

Jzepp
04-16-11, 1:18 pm
Gotta find what works for you, for me it's like close to mid pectoral.

P.S- Why not try regular bar CGBP?

I usually dont use a smith machine for anything because it takes out the stabalizer muscles. I train alone and dont always have access to a spotter. I have heard that since close grip bench press is mainly for the triceps, that training the stabalizer muscles isnt all that important. Would this be correct when just concentrating on the triceps?

BarbellManiac
04-16-11, 1:56 pm
I usually dont use a smith machine for anything because it takes out the stabalizer muscles. I train alone and dont always have access to a spotter. I have heard that since close grip bench press is mainly for the triceps, that training the stabalizer muscles isnt all that important. Would this be correct when just concentrating on the triceps?

Stabilizers are important everywhere in the body, keep a good balance among the muscle groups. Just find someone around that could spot you for a few sets.

Carrnage
04-16-11, 3:03 pm
tuck the elbows, then keep the hands over the elbow...where ever that is on you torso is where you need to be.

if you do lower it higher up on the torso though, it will be more tricep dominant of an exercise, but turn into more of a JM press

Yep!! 100 percent right! tuck em elbows so they point in as much as possible, and go down as far as you feel it in your triceps, i only go down a few inches so it looks like im doing partials, but in reality all the tension is put right on the triceps

zubda345
04-17-11, 11:32 am
Yep!! 100 percent right! tuck em elbows so they point in as much as possible, and go down as far as you feel it in your triceps, i only go down a few inches so it looks like im doing partials, but in reality all the tension is put right on the triceps

Now THIS is what I would do on a smith for tris....

Cellardweller
04-17-11, 11:49 am
Elbows in and I bring it to the bottom of my rob cage. On the pressing movement imagine shoving someone away from you.

Tiny1102
04-17-11, 11:27 pm
Try adding mini bands to your training on the Smith Machine.

Elbows in and I bring it to the bottom of my rob cage. On the pressing movement imagine shoving someone away from you.