PDA

View Full Version : Give me some deadlift tips

Tiny1102
04-21-11, 12:59 am
How many sets and reps do you do? How often do you pull in a month?

prowrestler
04-21-11, 2:24 am
relevent to program and recovery..

best gains came from pulling from the floor twice a week, 1 ME session, 1 DE session.

ME session id work with triples and doubles and singles. DE day id stand on a platform, use 50%ish and perform 8 singles. short rest.

now id simply do linear progression with rep scheme being 10 total reps in 5 sets.

Hercules
04-21-11, 10:26 am
What's this? Is Tiny looking for advice?

Coan's program worked really well for me. In fact, I'll be starting it again next week to prep for my next meet. The sheer brutality of the program is incredible, but it will yield results if done properly. Also, incorporating heavy rows and power shrugs helped a lot for me. I'd also suggest tire flips and power cleans and/or snatches to really work the hips.

Big D
04-21-11, 11:17 am
does this mean tiny is looking to do a little push/pull soon??!?
i dig it my man...

theres a whole bunch of shit out there.. but the best thing that i havve used helepd my deadlift jump from 700 raw to 725 suited to 776 suited to 775 raw... and the secret was...

louie simmon's beggining deadlift routine..

take your 1RM and do

12x1 x 75%
10x1x 80%
8x1 x 85%
6x1 x 90%
4x1 x 95%
2x1x 100%

its a 6 week cycle.

test the week before. run it for 6 weeks. deload a week. and test. im almost positive your deadlift will go up.

Madcat
04-21-11, 11:28 am
I am sure there are much better people to talk about this but I feel I do pull pretty well for not really looking to move tons of weight.

Personally I pull from the floor up every other week, the week between I rack dead. I never do less than 4 reps unlress I am going to try a 1RM, which is rare.

I feel rachs are GREAT for the lats and traps and I move more weight that weigh, usually 90+ more, but feel the deads are better for hte lower back.

I have BIG BACK Fridays (Stole that from Universals Rage promo with their chest fridays) but I figure I can sleep in saturday and eat more meals, Sunday is off day, Monday legs.

I love it.

Tiny1102
04-21-11, 1:47 pm
Just want to see some more ideas, but I am very much against pulling twice a week. I don't even bench twice a week. I recommend pulling every other week.

Coan's program worked really well for me. In fact, I'll be starting it again next week to prep for my next meet. The sheer brutality of the program is incredible, but it will yield results if done properly. Also, incorporating heavy rows and power shrugs helped a lot for me. I'd also suggest tire flips and power cleans and/or snatches to really work the hips.

Jzepp
04-21-11, 2:12 pm
I have never really deadlifted before until recently. What exactly can i expect from adding deadlifts to my workouts? I mean some guys never deadlift and are huge....is this exercise really needed?

Tiny1102
04-21-11, 2:22 pm
I will always be a student.

Just want to see some more ideas, but I am very much against pulling twice a week. I don't even bench twice a week. I recommend pulling every other week.

LegendKillerJosh
04-21-11, 3:15 pm
Here's what I do and I find it works pretty good.

First, max out. Let's say you can do 500 for example.
Next, set a new goal for yourself, say 535 for example.
Week 1 - use 80% of 535 (428) and try to get 4 reps
Week 2 - 85% of 535 (455) and try to get 3 reps
Week 3 - 90% of 535 (482) and try to get 2 reps
Week 4 - 95% of 535 (508) and try to get atleast 1 or if you can 2 reps.
Week 5 - Attempt your new max of 535 and then take a week off

I found doing this I can max out every 6th week and I try to add 30 or so pounds at a time during those 6 weeks. I've found that the week off, and starting out lighter and gradually getting up to the 1-2 rep range keeps my body guessing and keeps me fresh. Trying to go up to singles or doubles every single week doesn't work good for me. I deadlift once per week and after my deadlifts (I do about 6-7 sets and try to save a rep in the tank for next week instead of going to failure everytime) I do bent over rows, rack pulls, shrugs or other support work related to the deadlift. I do the same percentage cycle for my squat and bench too once per week and do my support work for those lifts on the same day I do that lift, and incorporate plenty of rest into my routine and a very high calorie bulking diet and try for plenty of sleep (anywhere from 8 up to 11 hours on weekends)

Tiny1102
05-03-11, 11:44 pm
Thank you

Here's what I do and I find it works pretty good.

First, max out. Let's say you can do 500 for example.
Next, set a new goal for yourself, say 535 for example.
Week 1 - use 80% of 535 (428) and try to get 4 reps
Week 2 - 85% of 535 (455) and try to get 3 reps
Week 3 - 90% of 535 (482) and try to get 2 reps
Week 4 - 95% of 535 (508) and try to get atleast 1 or if you can 2 reps.
Week 5 - Attempt your new max of 535 and then take a week off

I found doing this I can max out every 6th week and I try to add 30 or so pounds at a time during those 6 weeks. I've found that the week off, and starting out lighter and gradually getting up to the 1-2 rep range keeps my body guessing and keeps me fresh. Trying to go up to singles or doubles every single week doesn't work good for me. I deadlift once per week and after my deadlifts (I do about 6-7 sets and try to save a rep in the tank for next week instead of going to failure everytime) I do bent over rows, rack pulls, shrugs or other support work related to the deadlift. I do the same percentage cycle for my squat and bench too once per week and do my support work for those lifts on the same day I do that lift, and incorporate plenty of rest into my routine and a very high calorie bulking diet and try for plenty of sleep (anywhere from 8 up to 11 hours on weekends)

zubda345
05-04-11, 3:01 am
I have never really deadlifted before until recently. What exactly can i expect from adding deadlifts to my workouts? I mean some guys never deadlift and are huge....is this exercise really needed?

Deadlifts.... Ahh I remember I never knew about deads since I got into animal family... Deads are a great compound movement, for strength, for lower lats, and what not... They will make u much more stronger and u will know all about what they did to u, find out ur self what they benefit, learn correct form there are little mistakes in deadlifting ppl might do, Just keep on deads for 2-3 months, I promise u'll feel better than those huge guys who don't do dead lifts....

zubda345
05-04-11, 3:02 am

I would say Everyone, even Mr.Olympia should always look for advices as advices are the only thing that brought u here....

Tiny1102
05-05-11, 9:37 am
How far out is your last pull for a meet and how heavy do you go?

Big D
05-05-11, 9:38 am
How far out is your last pull for a meet and how heavy do you go?

3 weeks out take your opener and 2nd attempt
2 weeks out take your opener
1 week out take your last warmup

Tiny1102
05-05-11, 7:04 pm
Thanks D.

3 weeks out take your opener and 2nd attempt
2 weeks out take your opener
1 week out take your last warmup

Tiny1102
05-05-11, 7:05 pm
I want to hear from Chris, Fry, and is Rock here anymore?

BigChrisF
05-06-11, 4:33 am
For the longest time I increased my deadlift fairly successfully from 661 to 727 by never deadlifting except at meets. And since I compete full power, I also never warmed up for the deadlift either. I squatted twice a week and that was sufficient to move up my deadlift.

Right now I am deadlifting once a week and squatting once a week with programmed deload every fourth week. I really need to force rest because I am the kind of idiot that will keep pushing week in and week out without a break. Unfortunately it has caught up to me in the last few months, so this is going to be a shitty competition season.

I'm not doing anything complicated. I just am working up in weight and down in reps during 3 weeks of the 4 weeks. Take the deload and then add a little more weight to what I did last time and repeat. However many sets it takes to get warmed up and then three work sets.

I have also been pulling my lighter weights during the sessions workup with a ultra-wide sumo stance because I hate my hips and my hips hate me.

For accessory work I have been doing giant camber bar good mornings after squat and glute-ham raises after deadlift.

I like to take the week off before the meet. I don't usually do openers anymore. I just go off my last heavy workout which usually involves a double or single and then judge how I feel during the meet.

Tiny1102
05-06-11, 6:39 pm
Thank you Chris.

QUOTE=BigChrisF;1106801]For the longest time I increased my deadlift fairly successfully from 661 to 727 by never deadlifting except at meets. And since I compete full power, I also never warmed up for the deadlift either. I squatted twice a week and that was sufficient to move up my deadlift.

Right now I am deadlifting once a week and squatting once a week with programmed deload every fourth week. I really need to force rest because I am the kind of idiot that will keep pushing week in and week out without a break. Unfortunately it has caught up to me in the last few months, so this is going to be a shitty competition season.

I'm not doing anything complicated. I just am working up in weight and down in reps during 3 weeks of the 4 weeks. Take the deload and then add a little more weight to what I did last time and repeat. However many sets it takes to get warmed up and then three work sets.

I have also been pulling my lighter weights during the sessions workup with a ultra-wide sumo stance because I hate my hips and my hips hate me.

For accessory work I have been doing giant camber bar good mornings after squat and glute-ham raises after deadlift.

I like to take the week off before the meet. I don't usually do openers anymore. I just go off my last heavy workout which usually involves a double or single and then judge how I feel during the meet.[/QUOTE]

stanzione
05-09-11, 8:33 pm
I deadlift every other week usualy.. like anything else its your own personal preference, i usualy go by whether or not my hamstrings are still sore from the previous leg workout.

-Joe-

Tiny1102
05-10-11, 1:19 am
I usually recommend the same. I tell my lifters to pull every other and two weeks before the meet.

I deadlift every other week usualy.. like anything else its your own personal preference, i usualy go by whether or not my hamstrings are still sore from the previous leg workout.

-Joe-

flappysr
05-22-11, 1:23 am
Tiny,

Here's just one of the DeadLift programs that I follow. Have to switch it up for what works for your one style of Dead lifting. I also train with a standard bar not a DeadLifting bar for my workouts.

Old School Deadlifting Routine, Vol. 1
by Sgt. Rock

There is a virtual cornucopia of bench routines in all powerlifting mags and websites out there, and nearly as many on the squat. My email is overflowing everyday with people wanting more focus on the deadlift. Now more than ever, with huge advances in squatting and benching gear, the deadlift is getting much less glory and occupying far fewer headlines. It seems the all time lists for the pull rarely are altered and the bench and squat are ever changing.

This will not be a deadlifting routine that you will need a calculator to figure out, with some wacky ass circus-max two a day routine, or triple choked mini half bands with 20 feet of chain, or fancy and expensive equipment. This is all about the old school and what works. It's not candy coated or fancy. It doesn't require any special equipment. It does, however, require 100 percent commitment and dedication.

Imagine an article that was titled, “Increase your bench without benching” or “Increase your squat without squatting”. It's not going to happen so why should the DL be any different? The DL icons of the past, Gant, Anello, Inzer, Kuc, Kenady, Coan, Thomas, the Finns, all without exception pulled heavy and often. So if you want to get rid of that DL sticking point, you're not going to just be able to add a layer to your suit to fix the problem--you must get mentally focused to go to battle, and start pulling.

In another article, I covered the stiff leg DL intensely, and we are not throwing it out, even now. That routine will get you ready to peak, if you haven't had the chance to read it I suggest you do, in the meantime here is an abbreviated quick off season blast to get you ready to peak for a new personal record:

All stiff legs done off a 3 inch box, no belt, no straps, in sweatpants, add a belt at week 3.

Week:
1. 3x10
2. 3x10
3. 3x5
4. 2x5
5. 1x5

The last week should be at or near 70 percent of your best DL. After week 5, take one week off from pulling. Assistance work will be as follows: raw bent rows off the box for 3x7, chins 2x7 and front lat pulls 2x7. Also DB shrugs 2x20 and weighted ab work, and to finish it off, Russian (aka regular) hypers for 3x10 with weight.

If you are not going to a 3 lift show, ease off on the squat. When you do squat, do it raw (belt only) and much lighter (3x5 is sufficient)… Your pull will thank you. If you are doing all 3 lifts you must listen to your body even more closely. If you want to bust your deadlift personal record, then that must be your priority. I won't elaborate anymore on this; you must decide what is most important.

So often the DL takes a back seat. You can see it at contests--guys pushing their squat and bench and running out of gas or losing that fire when it comes to the DL. I have heard all the excuses believe me. I love it when I see guys like Andy Bolton and Garry Frank taking it to a whole new level when the bar gets on the floor, the same goes for Eddy Coan and Steve Goggins. It's like they get a huge second wind… That motivates me to an extreme. The meet truly does not start til the bar hits the floor.

Now we are ready to peak. Some things you're going to need--a tight fitting DL suit if applicable (I prefer the Inzer Max DL and have recently switched to the newest DL suit from Inzer and will NEVER go back) and groove briefs made of hardcore material. I also love the Erector shirt as well, also of hardcore material. A max width belt, prong or lever, wrestling type shoes… And then we are ready to rock and roll. If you pull in a singlet that is fine. I do suggest, however, that you experiment with tight gear and use it to your advantage as gains of 50-75 lbs can be obtained with practice and proper fitting gear. I'll cover more in Volume 2, coming soon…

Old School DL, Vol. 2
by Sgt. Rock

Deadlift training is very similar to the other main lifts, where form and speed are paramount. The DL is not a “just bend over and yank like heck” lift. No, it is so much more than that from a technical standpoint. Without elaborating too much, keep the bar in tight and head straight ahead, accelerate and don't yank with the arms. Throw the hips through and head back after the bar gets to the knees. The more speed you generate from the bottom the better the lockout will be. Often times a missed lockout is the result of bad bar position, or lack of bar speed.

The body will adapt to multiple reps, and heavy training, even in the deadlift as my great friend Tony Caprari taught me. All time greats like Caprari and John Inzer go against the new “lazy mindset” as I call it and pull heavy and often, going less than 7 days between pulling sessions frequently (I myself have done this with great results, but it took lots of warrior attitude). Tony told me to give it a shot and said the body will adapt, which went against my current way of thinking. I reluctantly tried it and he was very right.

I pulled heavy every week for over a month with great results. When I first started DLing as a teenager, I would do several top sets for reps. Once I eclipsed the 500 barrier (I was a skinny 148 lber once believe it or not), I cut it back to one top set most of the time and kept this approach for several years. I then decided to bring back the old school mentality, and started doing multiple sets of reps, beginning with the SLDL, and it has really helped me bust through my sticking point.

Make sure you're getting enough protein and sleep, and supplement as needed. A good whey protein, creatine and Animal Pak work great with a heavy cycle like this. Pull heavy and remember Sgt. Rock's Old School DL rules:

1. Never miss a rep in the gym. Ever.
2. Straps are for sissies.
3. Stiff legged DLs are the key to deadlift success.
4. Learn to use a tight suit.
5. Keep the bar in close and head straight.
6. To deadlift big on the day of the competition, you have to deadlift heavy in your training.
7. Experiment with the hook grip.

Here is the routine. Remember to do a stiff leg cycle to prep yourself for this, regardless if you pull sumo or conventional. Ensure your goal is reasonable--this is most important. If not, the percentages will be unrealistic and you will run yourself into the ground. I am not a big fan of percentages, but it is not humanly possible to write out individual programs for everyone, so this template will work and has done so for many, if you don't stray away from the percentages.

Stiffs are done off a 3 inch box with a belt. Good mornings are done in the power rack, bend so the body is almost parallel, use big weights on these. Carry the bar high on the neck. I set pins in the power rack as a guide to how far to bend, and for the safety factor. Bent rows are done raw off the box, followed by front lat pulls or cable rows for 2x7. Next come chins for 2x7 with weight if possible, then db shrugs 2x20 and weighted ab work. First 3 weeks belt only, wear sweat pants. If you are doing a DL only show, you will need around 10 weeks. For a 3 lift contest you will need approximately 11 weeks to get ready.

10. 72.5% of your one rep max for 3x5 then 1x5 SLDL
09. 75% for 3x5 then Good Mornings for 2x5
08. 77.5% for 3x5 then 1x5 SLDL
07. A well deserved rest from deadlifts, however continue with Good Mornings and assistance work.

At this point add training gear.

06. 80% 3x4L; SLDL 1x5
05. 85 3x3 Switch Good Mornings for hypers. Take an EZ curl bar and hold it tight to your chest on these for 3x10 reps, we will change from barbell bent rows to heavy DB rows (known in Maine as Chain Saw Pulls) for 2x7 reps heavy.
04. 88% 2x3 with assistance work kept the same
03. Same as week 7, but with hypers
02. 92.5% for a solid, old school double. Assistance work again stays the same.

Now here is where we need to adjust… If your doing a 3 lift show work up to your last DL warmup 10 days out from the show, and 7 days after your 92.5% double, if you are doing a DL only show, pull your 92.5% double 10 or 11 days out and go to the show (hope I didn't confuse anyone here).

You are now ready to destroy the weight and own the platform. You have pulled several weeks of 3 top sets, readying you for 3 solid attempts at the show. The only barriers are the ones you create yourself. I choose to have none. Semper Fi.

Machine
05-22-11, 5:53 pm
Even when pure bodybuilding, athletes should deadlift every week...and make it the last exercise of the session...its easy to pull when your fresh...try it at the end of your session.

MACHINE

Big Al
05-22-11, 9:12 pm
Hold on tight and pull real fuckin hard!!!

Hahaha, well thats what I do.

Tiny1102
05-22-11, 10:33 pm
Just make sure you don't bend your arms.

Hold on tight and pull real fuckin hard!!!

Hahaha, well thats what I do.

Machine
05-23-11, 8:40 pm
Just make sure you don't bend your arms.

Huge tip there...I was also doing farmers walk and just had a slight bend in my arms 2 years ago and tore my left biceps...didnt know until I went to flip the tire and then it went...

like the man said...remember not to bend your arms

MACHINE

Big Al
05-23-11, 10:57 pm
Very good point....

Tiny1102
05-24-11, 8:41 am
WOW!! Thanks Joe. When are going to sign up at Monster Gym? $20 a month, come on

Tiny,

Here's just one of the DeadLift programs that I follow. Have to switch it up for what works for your one style of Dead lifting. I also train with a standard bar not a DeadLifting bar for my workouts.

Old School Deadlifting Routine, Vol. 1
by Sgt. Rock

There is a virtual cornucopia of bench routines in all powerlifting mags and websites out there, and nearly as many on the squat. My email is overflowing everyday with people wanting more focus on the deadlift. Now more than ever, with huge advances in squatting and benching gear, the deadlift is getting much less glory and occupying far fewer headlines. It seems the all time lists for the pull rarely are altered and the bench and squat are ever changing.

This will not be a deadlifting routine that you will need a calculator to figure out, with some wacky ass circus-max two a day routine, or triple choked mini half bands with 20 feet of chain, or fancy and expensive equipment. This is all about the old school and what works. It's not candy coated or fancy. It doesn't require any special equipment. It does, however, require 100 percent commitment and dedication.

Imagine an article that was titled, “Increase your bench without benching” or “Increase your squat without squatting”. It's not going to happen so why should the DL be any different? The DL icons of the past, Gant, Anello, Inzer, Kuc, Kenady, Coan, Thomas, the Finns, all without exception pulled heavy and often. So if you want to get rid of that DL sticking point, you're not going to just be able to add a layer to your suit to fix the problem--you must get mentally focused to go to battle, and start pulling.

In another article, I covered the stiff leg DL intensely, and we are not throwing it out, even now. That routine will get you ready to peak, if you haven't had the chance to read it I suggest you do, in the meantime here is an abbreviated quick off season blast to get you ready to peak for a new personal record:

All stiff legs done off a 3 inch box, no belt, no straps, in sweatpants, add a belt at week 3.

Week:
1. 3x10
2. 3x10
3. 3x5
4. 2x5
5. 1x5

The last week should be at or near 70 percent of your best DL. After week 5, take one week off from pulling. Assistance work will be as follows: raw bent rows off the box for 3x7, chins 2x7 and front lat pulls 2x7. Also DB shrugs 2x20 and weighted ab work, and to finish it off, Russian (aka regular) hypers for 3x10 with weight.

If you are not going to a 3 lift show, ease off on the squat. When you do squat, do it raw (belt only) and much lighter (3x5 is sufficient)… Your pull will thank you. If you are doing all 3 lifts you must listen to your body even more closely. If you want to bust your deadlift personal record, then that must be your priority. I won't elaborate anymore on this; you must decide what is most important.

So often the DL takes a back seat. You can see it at contests--guys pushing their squat and bench and running out of gas or losing that fire when it comes to the DL. I have heard all the excuses believe me. I love it when I see guys like Andy Bolton and Garry Frank taking it to a whole new level when the bar gets on the floor, the same goes for Eddy Coan and Steve Goggins. It's like they get a huge second wind… That motivates me to an extreme. The meet truly does not start til the bar hits the floor.

Now we are ready to peak. Some things you're going to need--a tight fitting DL suit if applicable (I prefer the Inzer Max DL and have recently switched to the newest DL suit from Inzer and will NEVER go back) and groove briefs made of hardcore material. I also love the Erector shirt as well, also of hardcore material. A max width belt, prong or lever, wrestling type shoes… And then we are ready to rock and roll. If you pull in a singlet that is fine. I do suggest, however, that you experiment with tight gear and use it to your advantage as gains of 50-75 lbs can be obtained with practice and proper fitting gear. I'll cover more in Volume 2, coming soon…

Old School DL, Vol. 2
by Sgt. Rock

Deadlift training is very similar to the other main lifts, where form and speed are paramount. The DL is not a “just bend over and yank like heck” lift. No, it is so much more than that from a technical standpoint. Without elaborating too much, keep the bar in tight and head straight ahead, accelerate and don't yank with the arms. Throw the hips through and head back after the bar gets to the knees. The more speed you generate from the bottom the better the lockout will be. Often times a missed lockout is the result of bad bar position, or lack of bar speed.

The body will adapt to multiple reps, and heavy training, even in the deadlift as my great friend Tony Caprari taught me. All time greats like Caprari and John Inzer go against the new “lazy mindset” as I call it and pull heavy and often, going less than 7 days between pulling sessions frequently (I myself have done this with great results, but it took lots of warrior attitude). Tony told me to give it a shot and said the body will adapt, which went against my current way of thinking. I reluctantly tried it and he was very right.

I pulled heavy every week for over a month with great results. When I first started DLing as a teenager, I would do several top sets for reps. Once I eclipsed the 500 barrier (I was a skinny 148 lber once believe it or not), I cut it back to one top set most of the time and kept this approach for several years. I then decided to bring back the old school mentality, and started doing multiple sets of reps, beginning with the SLDL, and it has really helped me bust through my sticking point.

Make sure you're getting enough protein and sleep, and supplement as needed. A good whey protein, creatine and Animal Pak work great with a heavy cycle like this. Pull heavy and remember Sgt. Rock's Old School DL rules:

1. Never miss a rep in the gym. Ever.
2. Straps are for sissies.
3. Stiff legged DLs are the key to deadlift success.
4. Learn to use a tight suit.
5. Keep the bar in close and head straight.
6. To deadlift big on the day of the competition, you have to deadlift heavy in your training.
7. Experiment with the hook grip.

Here is the routine. Remember to do a stiff leg cycle to prep yourself for this, regardless if you pull sumo or conventional. Ensure your goal is reasonable--this is most important. If not, the percentages will be unrealistic and you will run yourself into the ground. I am not a big fan of percentages, but it is not humanly possible to write out individual programs for everyone, so this template will work and has done so for many, if you don't stray away from the percentages.

Stiffs are done off a 3 inch box with a belt. Good mornings are done in the power rack, bend so the body is almost parallel, use big weights on these. Carry the bar high on the neck. I set pins in the power rack as a guide to how far to bend, and for the safety factor. Bent rows are done raw off the box, followed by front lat pulls or cable rows for 2x7. Next come chins for 2x7 with weight if possible, then db shrugs 2x20 and weighted ab work. First 3 weeks belt only, wear sweat pants. If you are doing a DL only show, you will need around 10 weeks. For a 3 lift contest you will need approximately 11 weeks to get ready.

10. 72.5% of your one rep max for 3x5 then 1x5 SLDL
09. 75% for 3x5 then Good Mornings for 2x5
08. 77.5% for 3x5 then 1x5 SLDL
07. A well deserved rest from deadlifts, however continue with Good Mornings and assistance work.

At this point add training gear.

06. 80% 3x4L; SLDL 1x5
05. 85 3x3 Switch Good Mornings for hypers. Take an EZ curl bar and hold it tight to your chest on these for 3x10 reps, we will change from barbell bent rows to heavy DB rows (known in Maine as Chain Saw Pulls) for 2x7 reps heavy.
04. 88% 2x3 with assistance work kept the same
03. Same as week 7, but with hypers
02. 92.5% for a solid, old school double. Assistance work again stays the same.

Now here is where we need to adjust… If your doing a 3 lift show work up to your last DL warmup 10 days out from the show, and 7 days after your 92.5% double, if you are doing a DL only show, pull your 92.5% double 10 or 11 days out and go to the show (hope I didn't confuse anyone here).

You are now ready to destroy the weight and own the platform. You have pulled several weeks of 3 top sets, readying you for 3 solid attempts at the show. The only barriers are the ones you create yourself. I choose to have none. Semper Fi.

Tiny1102
05-24-11, 8:43 am
Yes, One of my clients is having some issues with his bi and I explained to him it was, because he kept bending his arm. I told him, he is very lucky he did not tear his bicep.

Huge tip there...I was also doing farmers walk and just had a slight bend in my arms 2 years ago and tore my left biceps...didnt know until I went to flip the tire and then it went...

like the man said...remember not to bend your arms

MACHINE

Big Al
05-24-11, 12:08 pm
But who needs biceps anyway. Unless you wanna look pretty. :)

Tiny1102
05-25-11, 12:33 am
Right. I guess your not a real deadlifter until you tear your bicep. I hope that is not true.

But who needs biceps anyway. Unless you wanna look pretty. :)

Deathride
05-25-11, 10:27 am
Bodybuilders concentrate on the bicep peak, size, mass....powerlifters use the bicep to connect the hand to the deadlift.

My personal deadlift routine
- Week 1 - work up to 5RM
Week 2 - 3RM
Week 3 - single or double max. Each week followed by two lower weight higher rep sets
Week 4 - deload (usually dynamic work)

I then cycle the core lift.....normal deads, deficit deads, block pulls (my current favourite....my hamstrings have not been so closely targetted since my brother kicked me there many years ago!), pin pulls...I only pull conventional so don't know anything about sumo, am afraid.

J A Y
05-25-11, 2:16 pm
How many sets and reps do you do? How often do you pull in a month?

I have been pulling heavy once a week after I squat, simply because that how it happens in a meet

as for reps, usually triples/doubles and singles and alot of sets(more volume), i know if i can pull a pre fatigued deadlift PR, il be good come meet time

Deathride
05-25-11, 6:10 pm
Can't believe I've just tried to give tips to a 1000lb bencher! Please feel free to actively ignore what I've just said :-D

Tiny1102
05-25-11, 10:02 pm
You did not try. You did. This to help others not just myself and thank you for being part of the discussion.

Can't believe I've just tried to give tips to a 1000lb bencher! Please feel free to actively ignore what I've just said :-D

machineman
05-25-11, 10:23 pm
From reading advise given by Sgt Rock, one tip I picked up to keep the arms from bending was to flex the tri's once you start to take the weight.

prowrestler
05-26-11, 12:35 am
grip work

no matter how stron your legs and lower back is, if the hands can't hold the weight, its like jumping in sand. the base for the deadlift lies in your palms. just like bench pressing, your base to press off is your upper back. the base to pull against is the hands

Tiny1102
05-26-11, 9:29 am
Yes, I have a client who is having alot of trouble keeping his arm straight. I will try that with him this week.

From reading advise given by Sgt Rock, one tip I picked up to keep the arms from bending was to flex the tri's once you start to take the weight.

machineman
05-26-11, 4:15 pm
Yes, I have a client who is having alot of trouble keeping his arm straight. I will try that with him this week.

Hope it works for him!!

Big Al
05-26-11, 7:23 pm
In here being silly...last night I was pulling 585 and my hand slipped off an fucked me up for a few mins. It was hot as hell an I was all sweaty and just slipped out of my hand. Fuck that hurt for a few.lol so always make sure you got dry hands,thats my new tip.

Tiny1102
07-13-11, 10:33 pm
In here being silly...last night I was pulling 585 and my hand slipped off an fucked me up for a few mins. It was hot as hell an I was all sweaty and just slipped out of my hand. Fuck that hurt for a few.lol so always make sure you got dry hands,thats my new tip.

I have only been going up to 405 or 495, but this week I will try 585. I am hoping to pull 600 or more raw, but I am thinking about trying out a suit this week. If it works, hopefully 700 or more.