PDA

View Full Version : Steak

Juggernaut_Jones
04-21-11, 10:08 am
Alright boys!!

I want a steak. But, I don't just want a steak, I want a STEAK!!! What are some of the ways you cook it up to make it taste straight awesome? Most of my diet is steak, and I'm not complaining, but everything gets a little old. Now, I prefer steak over chicken any day (as most men do)– but I'd just like to know a couple different ways to cook it.

Have at it!

Bruiser
04-21-11, 10:17 am
I'm with you on this one bro! Why eat chicken or fish when there's steak? Here's a few quick recipes for you.
#1:
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix in a bowl. Brown steak in a frying pan, add mixture and cover. It will steam/poach the meat and be super moist and tender. The meat will act like a sponge and absorb a lot of the liquid.

#2:
Just spray the steak with fat free butter flavor canola spray and shake on some Cajun Ms Dash. Fry that bitch!!

Aggression
04-21-11, 10:31 am
Steak is expensive, depending on the cut. The cheapest I'll eat would be Top Round London Broil, which can go on sale for $1.99/lb. Its a tough meat, but when nothing else is on sale, I opt for it.

I like to purchase boneless sirloin, which occasionally goes on sale for $3.99/lb. I often buy 2 weeks worth when this happens. Its not the BEST meat, but its definitely tender and not anywhere near as tough as London Broil.

As for cooking, I just read an article in Men's Health about 2 weeks ago. It stated that to cook a steak, you want to have it on the grill for as little time as possible. So instead of putting it on low-flame for a long time, I now put it on the grill for medium-high heat. Once the juices pop through, I flip it and wait for the same outcome again. Then its done. Just a few minutes. Delicious.

C.Coronato
04-21-11, 12:23 pm
Marinate it for a good 24 hours. Pick a pre made one, or make your own recipe, put it in a zip lock bag with the steak. Then grille it up like Aggression said.

Good stuff.

wedge
04-21-11, 12:44 pm
With the warm weather coming and the grill uncovered, I'll be checking out some of these recipes for sure.

MRmichael.hooker
04-21-11, 12:52 pm
worcestershire sauce
soy sauce
minced garlic
green & red peppers
onion
pepper/salt to taste

chop everything up. Spread a little butter on both sides (If your going for a healthier version, use fatfree cooking spray.) Pour a generous amount of both sauces on the steak so the meat is soaking in it, cover. After a few hours, throw it in the oven @300, cooked till desired redness. When done, wrap in foil for 5 minutes so while it cools, the juices stay soaked in the steak. A little higher on the sodium, but its only 1 meal and its delicious lol

MRmichael.hooker
04-21-11, 12:58 pm
another really good way I learned to cook one was a combo w/ stove & oven in a cast iron skillet. Season however you would like the steak (some good ideas above, something like christian said would probably work best with this recipe). Turn oven to 450, turn stovetop on high with iron skillet on stove. Once really hot, throw steak in 5 mins per side. After you've cooked it 5 mins per side (really browning the steak), throw the steak still in the iron skillet in the oven and cook the rest of the way. Won't take too long at all being so hot. Really adds some good flavor. Caution, if your skillet has a wooden handle, the oven will burn it black lol

dannynb
04-21-11, 1:00 pm
I set the smoke detectors off every time with this one....

fresh cut of steak at room temp
kosher salt
cast iron skillet

Preheat oven to 500 degrees
heat skillet on stove top
season top side of steak with kosher salt
drop in 1-2 spoons of oil and leave on flame until smoldering
place steak (salt side down) in skillet and season other side with kosher salt
cook one side for 10-15 seconds and flip and let other side cook for 10-15 seconds
remove cast iron skillet from stove top and place in oven for 10-15 minutes
remove from oven and have a bowl upside down on a plate waiting
remove steak from skillet and set on top of upside down bowl and let rest for 5-10 minutes

one of the juiciest and tender steaks I have ever eaten, but again usually fils the house full of smoke. LOL

MRmichael.hooker
04-21-11, 1:01 pm
I set the smoke detectors off every time with this one....

fresh cut of steak at room temp
kosher salt
cast iron skillet

Preheat oven to 500 degrees
heat skillet on stove top
season top side of steak with kosher salt
drop in 1-2 spoons of oil and leave on flame until smoldering
place steak (salt side down) in skillet and season other side with kosher salt
cook one side for 10-15 seconds and flip and let other side cook for 10-15 seconds
remove cast iron skillet from stove top and place in oven for 10-15 minutes
remove from oven and have a bowl upside down on a plate waiting
remove steak from skillet and set on top of upside down bowl and let rest for 5-10 minutes

one of the juiciest and tender steaks I have ever eaten, but again usually fils the house full of smoke. LOL

hahahah copycat

dannynb
04-21-11, 1:06 pm
hahahah copycat

Dammit! I didn't see you post this. LOL oh well....great minds think alike.

MRmichael.hooker
04-21-11, 1:08 pm
Dammit! I didn't see you post this. LOL oh well....great minds think alike.

I was typing this and started thinking "maaan, i want some steak" so gonna adjust the diet for the rest of the day to throw in the cast-iron skillet steak. Like you said, smokes like CRAZY though! If any of you bros make it like this, danny was joking. I have to open all my windows, sliding door, and front door.

Appollonian
04-21-11, 1:17 pm
I had my best friend in town last week and I grilled my now favorite steak recipe:

Grill set to high heat for 10 minutes
Top round
Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
Garlic
5 minutes per side
Done

I really like the way steak tastes just by itself, so I try to keep what I add simple and to a minimum.

I've done high heat/low cook and low heat/long cook and like it both ways, but my favorite is definitely with the higher heat.

mritter3
04-21-11, 4:22 pm
stubbs steak marinade is all i use...never gets old,

FITGYM
04-28-11, 3:33 pm
Here is a tip when buying meats....

*go to the market at night time after 9pm and u will catch the manager marking items down for quick sale

Back To Basics
04-28-11, 7:23 pm
I had my best friend in town last week and I grilled my now favorite steak recipe:

Grill set to high heat for 10 minutes
Top round
Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
Garlic
5 minutes per side
Done

I really like the way steak tastes just by itself, so I try to keep what I add simple and to a minimum.

I've done high heat/low cook and low heat/long cook and like it both ways, but my favorite is definitely with the higher heat.

I love just plane ingredients on steak, it has a nice flavor to it on it's own. Just like you said man, Sea salt some pepper and a hot grill.. HMMM

LegendKillerJosh
04-28-11, 7:40 pm
Let's start with the cuts:

Most Tender:
ribeye, tenderloin, t-bone, porterhouse, new york strip, sirloin

Middle:
chuckeye, top round, flank, skirt, cube

Toughest:
bottom round, eye of round, chuck, top sirloin

Some tips for a more tender steak: Age it - put it in the fridge uncovered for a few days til it starts getting dark, the easiest way to tenderize it. DO NOT puncture a steak prior to cooking, during cooking, or immediately after. Handle the steak as little as possible. Cutting or poking it before, during or right after cooking will allow the juice and steam to escape during cooking which will make your steak dry and tasteless. After it cooks, give it 10 minutes to cool a little before cutting it or again the juice and steam will escape. Another thing, don't add salt before or during cooking cause salt sucks the juice out, put the salt on just before eating. Marinading for long periods isn't necessary. Before you cook the steak, swipe each side with olive oil and add garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. If cooking indoors, seer each side in a pan for a minute before baking to seal the flavor in. Other than that, if a steak isn't good, you screwed it up. Don't overcook and you'll have a delicious, bloody treat.

MELTDOWN
04-28-11, 8:06 pm
Here is a tip when buying meats....

*go to the market at night time after 9pm and u will catch the manager marking items down for quick sale

Agreed... I have the advantage of Wife Inc being front end manager at a local Food Lion. She is always carrying home steak (and chicken) just marked down....

GUNS
04-30-11, 2:37 am
I was eating porterhouse and NY strip alot when I was back in the states, but I just can't get them here. So I have been eating t-bone and sirloin tips. I use McCormicks mosquite. It has amazing taste. I only use about a 1/4 of the packet. I cut it up into bite size pieces and marinade overnight so its ready when I get home from work. Fry it and it is amazing. If I had a grill, that would be my choice.

Mickey
04-30-11, 5:17 pm
i make a homemade marinade of soy sauce (low sodium), lemon juice (lime works well too), and beer; vary quantities to taste.

Juggernaut_Jones
05-11-11, 12:32 pm
Thanks boys.

I'm going hit one of these up today!

stanzione
05-25-11, 12:30 pm
Most people grill them for the classic grilled steak flavor but i much prefer pan frying my steak because it traps in even more juiceyness and flavor

I let the meat sit out till room temp then go heavy on fresh ground black pepper and sea salt, both sides.

Get a coating of oil (i prefer olive or macadamia) in a frying pan and put it on a medium heat for a couple mins to warm up, then lay the steak in it and i just put the cover half way on so it dont spit grease all over my stove, cook atleast a couple mins each side depending how well u like ur steak..

thats realy it, i leave them whole until im ready to eat it so it holds as much juice as possible..

Joe J
05-25-11, 6:12 pm
Most people grill them for the classic grilled steak flavor but i much prefer pan frying my steak because it traps in even more juiceyness and flavor

I let the meat sit out till room temp then go heavy on fresh ground black pepper and sea salt, both sides.

Get a coating of oil (i prefer olive or macadamia) in a frying pan and put it on a medium heat for a couple mins to warm up, then lay the steak in it and i just put the cover half way on so it dont spit grease all over my stove, cook atleast a couple mins each side depending how well u like ur steak..

thats realy it, i leave them whole until im ready to eat it so it holds as much juice as possible..

Pan frying is the way brother. But if you want to really get this steak poppin heat up the pan as hot as you can with NO OIL. Before seasoning the meat pour oil on it and rub and pat it in pretty damn hard. Then season over this and throw in the pan. Makes the steak mad crispy on the outside and juicy inside. Give it a try.

Happy eating.

N. Motta
05-25-11, 6:56 pm
Regarding pan frying a piece of meat:

Does anyone feel that using a cast iron skillet works better than a regular skillet? I heard a guy ranting about how it's 100 times better.

Back To Basics
05-25-11, 10:54 pm
I don't really like using a pan, mostly because it smokes the fuck out of my house.. But the grill is the way to go for me..

MRmichael.hooker
05-26-11, 6:46 am
Regarding pan frying a piece of meat:

Does anyone feel that using a cast iron skillet works better than a regular skillet? I heard a guy ranting about how it's 100 times better.

I LOVE using a cast iron to cook steak. 2 ways to try: 1, just season the steak well and cook on the skillet. Nice and brown and juicy. 2nd way which is my personal favorite:

Heat skillet to high, and turn oven on to 450. Cook steak 5 min per side on stove top in cast iron, then immediately take skillet w/ steak and put inside oven and cook until desired wellness. Fuckin amazing! Watch out because if you have a wooden handle on the skillet, it will be burnt black lol and it will smoke like crazzzzzy! I had to open up the sliding door, front door, and all windows, plus turn on all the fans lol. But, great steak.. so, win

MRmichael.hooker
05-26-11, 6:48 am
Most people grill them for the classic grilled steak flavor but i much prefer pan frying my steak because it traps in even more juiceyness and flavor. i leave them whole until im ready to eat it so it holds as much juice as possible..

A good way to help with this get a big piece of aluminum foil, lay it on your plate. Put the steak on it right outta the pan, and fold all the sides up on the steak. That way the juice can't run anywhere from the steak. Just sits on top and re-soaks back in.

Funky
05-31-11, 10:26 am
You are all crazy grilling is the way the truth and the light no man should eat steak without coming through the grill!! Griller's unite!! But seriously pan cooked tastes blah to me. I like to hit mine with montreal steak seasoning and do a 5 min per side and done on the grill ends up being a perfect medium rare warm but still red center.