PDA

View Full Version : PR huntin' with the PORTERHOUSE (RAGE LOG)

PORTERHOUSE
04-21-11, 3:45 pm
Thank you to Animal/Universal for putting on this special promo!

Now just waiting for the mail to arrive so we can get the ball rolling.

DANO
04-21-11, 6:15 pm
That makes two of us... Lets do this!!

Bruiser
04-22-11, 9:02 am
I'm with you bros!! We're lucky to be a part of this.

ToSo
04-22-11, 9:50 am
In. The worst part is waiting for UPS or FEDEX when you know Rage is on its way!

Bruiser
04-22-11, 9:56 am
In. The worst part is waiting for UPS or FEDEX when you know Rage is on its way!

No... the worst part is when they show up and you're jumping around on the porch drooling like a dog... then they hand you a package marked "Animal" and think to themselves... "Huh... ironic."

J-Dawg
04-22-11, 10:02 am
In for some PRs!

DANO
04-22-11, 11:20 am
No... the worst part is when they show up and you're jumping around on the porch drooling like a dog... then they hand you a package marked "Animal" and think to themselves... "Huh... ironic."

hahaha........ classic

Bruiser
04-22-11, 11:26 am
hahaha........ classic

Hell, who's kidding? I think I humped the mailman's leg when he brought me the two free samples of Rage they gave out last month!!! He still won't look me in the eye...

PORTERHOUSE
04-23-11, 11:25 am
That makes two of us... Lets do this!!
Im stoked too man, good to have ya in here!

I'm with you bros!! We're lucky to be a part of this.
Couldn't agree more man! Universal hooked us up, now we gotta bust our balls in return.

I think Ive mentioned I was one of the winners for the rage promo to my girl like 3-4 times a day since... everytime a ups truck goes by I look I walk to the window and peer out the curtains like some old lady with a bunch of cats haha.

In for some PRs!
good to have you on board!

Hell, who's kidding? I think I humped the mailman's leg when he brought me the two free samples of Rage they gave out last month!!! He still won't look me in the eye...
careful bro, you dont want to end up with a court date haha.

Bruiser
04-23-11, 12:12 pm
careful bro, you dont want to end up with a court date haha.

I should be safe.. it's not like I "bit" him... lol

DanTheMan
04-25-11, 6:31 pm
yeaaaah buddayyyy. RAGE PR's are crazy... they come out of no where and you feel like the king of the world in the gym... definitely eager to see how it's gonna get you beastin bud!

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-11, 7:33 pm
im getting antsy... and supposedly we're going to be getting some tornadoes here on Wednesday so they better not come down my street and blow the rage off my doorstep!

DANO
04-25-11, 7:42 pm
im getting antsy... and supposedly we're going to be getting some tornadoes here on Wednesday so they better not come down my street and blow the rage off my doorstep!

You better call in sick for the rest of this week...

PORTERHOUSE
04-26-11, 6:17 pm
Rage just got in this afternoon! Perfect timing because my training week is starting tomorrow, today being an off day. Working out in the early am, will post results.

Bruiser
04-26-11, 6:19 pm
Rage just got in this afternoon! Perfect timing because my training week is starting tomorrow, today being an off day. Working out in the early am, will post results.

Can't wait to see how it goes for you. Looking forward to your progress.

PORTERHOUSE
04-26-11, 6:21 pm
Currently running off a 6 day week. I'll continue this until I move, then probably switch back to a 7 day week.

Day 1: Shoulders/Traps/Forearms
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Chest/Biceps
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Back/Triceps
Day 6: Off
Day 7: REPEAT

Carrnage
04-26-11, 6:21 pm

Just tried my rage for the 1st time today....used only half a scoop....got me fucking cranked up!!! Rage is the real deal....and mercy peoples souls who use a full scoop lol.

PORTERHOUSE
04-26-11, 6:31 pm
Pak: w/post-workout meal

Uni Liver: 4/every meal

Pre: Pump/Rage (stagger by ~15 mins)

Intra: 1 serving BCAA Stack/1 serving EAA Stack/~15 g Gatorade powder

Post: Nitro/~15 g GatoradeX2 (staggered by ~30 mins, a lot of the time I will do some light cardio in between)

After I move and get settled in, I will run stak/test for 6 weeks, or maybe a 6 week cycle of just stak, I have ingredients to do both, so we'll see.

PORTERHOUSE
04-26-11, 8:48 pm
smells like orange creamsicles.

Bruiser
04-27-11, 7:54 am
smells like orange creamsicles.

It reminded me of when I went camping as a kid and we had Tang with our breakfast! Glad I chose the Paks.... lol

PORTERHOUSE
04-27-11, 11:13 am
rage is basically... the tits.

Small size scoop and only 4 oz. water make it easy to bang back and go. Taste Isn't great, but it isn't horrible either.

energy was nice and clean, no cracked out pacing back and fourth between sets feeling, just a smooth burn thats still going. I just stepped in the door so it's a bit early to speak on the no crash effect, but I'll get back on that in a few hours, for now I'm still cruising.

The session: Delts/Traps/Abs

(Wasn't looking for any heavy PR's today, and probably wont all this week)

db rear delt raises X4 10-12ish
db lateral raises X4 10-12ish
arnolds X4 10-15ish
hammer strength plate loaded shoulder press, 1 plate each side X4 10-15ish (30 sec. rest)

front bb shrugs X4 10-12ish
rear db shrugs X3 10-12ish

abs/obliques

a little low intensity cardio.

Kept my rest periods short, movements explosive and dialed in to keep the torsion and pain stretched across the muscle on both positive and negative. Delts are burning and pushing veins out the front like worms. Weights were all light today.

Rage definitely kept me going through this, a lot of times by the end of a session I skip on the abs because 1) I fucking hate training abs and 2) Im so tired I just say forget about it. But not today, I had enough energy to way more than I normally would, best ab session I've had in months.

It's only day one, but I'de have to say thus far rage has lived up to the hype.

Bruiser
04-27-11, 11:31 am
Killer workout bro. I can't wait to see what the Rage will do for us all in the long run.

DANO
04-27-11, 12:01 pm
Ya buddy! looks good... How was the "comedown"? wasn't a crash for me, I got to bed around 10:30, slept fine.

PORTERHOUSE
04-28-11, 12:00 am
Killer workout bro. I can't wait to see what the Rage will do for us all in the long run.
Thanks bro, me neither!

Ya buddy! looks good... How was the "comedown"? wasn't a crash for me, I got to bed around 10:30, slept fine.
Good man, I was still feeling good a few hours later, never really crashed. Im stoked for round two in the a.m.

PORTERHOUSE
04-28-11, 12:03 am
lower back isn't feeling so fresh at the moment... hopefully I can sleep it off tonight. My hamstrings are a little tight, but if my legs and back are feeling good tomorrow I may try and throw down some heavy ass squats, and who knows, maybe we'll see a PR.

weather permitting of course, these tornadoes are steamrolling right at us... hopefully I'll still be around tomorrow night to keep posting.

Bruiser
04-28-11, 8:13 am
I hope you're safe and sound bro. I wish you the best.

DANO
04-28-11, 11:47 am

x2

PORTERHOUSE
04-28-11, 11:56 am

x2

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. So far so good for where I am, it looks like later on today we may take a hit, but they aren't expecting anything on the scale of what happened yesterday in AL.

PORTERHOUSE
04-28-11, 12:12 pm
Squats
135X10 / 225X10 / 315X10 / 335X8 / 355X6 / 375X4 / 395X2 / 405X1=PR / 135X~10-15ish

->Been hovering around that 4th plate for the past couple weeks. I knew I could get it off, but typically I don't push through to 1rm like that, but in the spirit of this promo I decided to go ahead and push the weight. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but I got it off. For the approaching sets (375 and up) I stopped a little earlier than I would to keep some gas in the tank for that 405. Im not a huge 1 rep guy, unless it comes to squats or deads. I wont be squatting that heavy again for at least a few weeks.

Rest of the session ( all super light, no need for more heavy shit after squatting like that):

dec. leg press sled (only 1 plate each side) X 3 15-20ish (45 sec. rest)
plate loaded ham curl (unilateral) X 4 15 (no direct rest, just banged out left and right back and fourth)
hack sled X 3 12-15ish (30 sec. rest)
bb stiff deads (85 lbs) : X 3 12-15ish
calf press: 90 lbs X ~6 20-25ish (30 sec. rest)

with the calf press, I have come to a problem: My calves are really strong, and I can load up the entire machine to 7 plates, and can't get any more on there. I can rep that at least 20 times or so, but don't seem to be getting anywhere size wise anymore. Today I kept the weight light and kept switching my angles from a wide stance/angled stance and so on in between each set. It burned them pretty well, so I may keep doing that for the time being.

Carrnage
04-28-11, 3:29 pm
Squats
135X10 / 225X10 / 315X10 / 335X8 / 355X6 / 375X4 / 395X2 / 405X1=PR / 135X~10-15ish

->Been hovering around that 4th plate for the past couple weeks. I knew I could get it off, but typically I don't push through to 1rm like that, but in the spirit of this promo I decided to go ahead and push the weight. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but I got it off. For the approaching sets (375 and up) I stopped a little earlier than I would to keep some gas in the tank for that 405. Im not a huge 1 rep guy, unless it comes to squats or deads. I wont be squatting that heavy again for at least a few weeks.

Rest of the session ( all super light, no need for more heavy shit after squatting like that):

dec. leg press sled (only 1 plate each side) X 3 15-20ish (45 sec. rest)
plate loaded ham curl (unilateral) X 4 15 (no direct rest, just banged out left and right back and fourth)
hack sled X 3 12-15ish (30 sec. rest)
bb stiff deads (85 lbs) : X 3 12-15ish
calf press: 90 lbs X ~6 20-25ish (30 sec. rest)

with the calf press, I have come to a problem: My calves are really strong, and I can load up the entire machine to 7 plates, and can't get any more on there. I can rep that at least 20 times or so, but don't seem to be getting anywhere size wise anymore. Today I kept the weight light and kept switching my angles from a wide stance/angled stance and so on in between each set. It burned them pretty well, so I may keep doing that for the time being.

Good hardcore work bro! And consider those "light sets" to be heavy in your mind while training, if i consider something is light while training i lose intensity!

DanTheMan
04-28-11, 8:28 pm
congrats on the PR my dude! 4pl's feels good don't it? :P

DANO
04-28-11, 10:47 pm
SWEET! way to tear it up brother!

Bruiser
04-29-11, 8:27 am

Calves are one of the body parts that never grow, never grow, no matter what you do. Then they'll just take off. You need serious volume to blow up your calves. There are pros that swear by the 100 rep rule with calves. These are the one body part that is used more than any other, so they take a beating every day. What I've done to get mine to grow is consistently shock them. I never do the same movements twice in a row when training them. Here's a list of tricks I do. See if it helps you at all. (remember, I don't have much equipment and only about 100 lbs in weights)

1. Standing raises - I'll grab my EZ curl bar and try to hit as close to 100 reps as possible.
2. Weighted vest - wear it around as much as possible, putting on 20+ lbs will make them big.
3. Running in place - I'm not sure why this works so good for me. It's different than jogging or running, so by basically sprinting in place for as long as I can, it destroys them. I'll grab a plate to hold for round two, another for round three. I'll limp for two days afterward. F***ING Jello Legs!!

BTW - congrats on the PR!!

PORTERHOUSE
04-29-11, 3:32 pm
Good hardcore work bro! And consider those "light sets" to be heavy in your mind while training, if i consider something is light while training i lose intensity!
definitely man. As long as you're targeting the muscle the right way, light weights and tear you up.

congrats on the PR my dude! 4pl's feels good don't it? :P
thanks man, I try not to get too hung up on milestoens like that, because they're all just numbers... but everytime you get to add that extra plate on, its a good feeling. I remember back when I put up 225 the first time and thought I was the shit, now at 405 and thinking about how much further I have to go.

SWEET! way to tear it up brother!
Thanks man!

Calves are one of the body parts that never grow, never grow, no matter what you do. Then they'll just take off. You need serious volume to blow up your calves. There are pros that swear by the 100 rep rule with calves. These are the one body part that is used more than any other, so they take a beating every day. What I've done to get mine to grow is consistently shock them. I never do the same movements twice in a row when training them. Here's a list of tricks I do. See if it helps you at all. (remember, I don't have much equipment and only about 100 lbs in weights)

1. Standing raises - I'll grab my EZ curl bar and try to hit as close to 100 reps as possible.
2. Weighted vest - wear it around as much as possible, putting on 20+ lbs will make them big.
3. Running in place - I'm not sure why this works so good for me. It's different than jogging or running, so by basically sprinting in place for as long as I can, it destroys them. I'll grab a plate to hold for round two, another for round three. I'll limp for two days afterward. F***ING Jello Legs!!

BTW - congrats on the PR!!

Definitely man, calves are a weird muscle group to train. Fortunately mine are already huge and defined from years of sports/skateboarding/weight training, but I've definitely hit a rut with getting them any bigger. Thats ok though, since like I said they're already big enough, but maybe adding something likethis could ignite some new growth, who knows.

PORTERHOUSE
04-29-11, 3:48 pm
Incline BB Press X 4 6-10 (working up to 225 X6)
Flat BB Press X 4 12-15 (only 135 for all sets, 45 sec. rest)
Flat Flyes X 3 12-15 (30 sec. rest)

EZ curls X 3 10-12
IN. db Hammer curls X 3 10-12
Hammer Strength seated curl 1 drop set (approximately 7 levels)

abs/cardio

-> This weird guy that I always see but have never talked to before at my gym approached me today and asked me if I wanted to do his special burn out technique for biceps. This guy is about 6'2'' and 180 lbs, impressive muscle separation but very very skinny with toothpick legs, biceps probably 13 inches... but I said yea sure. he then proceeded to explain his special drop sets technique as if I hadn't heard of them before, then he stacked up way too much weight for my arms because they were tired as fuck already, but I did it anyways. I didn't get much of an effective burn because if was too heavy, but he looked happy with himself so I guess that's ok. I pretended to really enjoy it, at which point he said "oh yea no worries man, its my job"... which it isn't, he has just recently grown his first bicep and thinks he's arnold... pretty entertaining, I wish I could get some videos of the shit this guy does for attention, its hilarious. Walking handstands in front of the cardio equipment, shit like that.

anyways, this was basic, no frills workout. Descent pump and burn. No PR's today, but thats ok, I wasn't looking for any. Next week I'll be looking to mix up chest a bit with some sort of supersets/drop sets approach... I won't know what it will be till Im already doing it though.

got tomorrow off... then back/triceps.

Feeling a big cheat meal coming on for tomorrow. Can't decide what it's going to be... burger/fries and ice cream perhaps.

DANO
04-29-11, 4:24 pm
Pizza.

Bruiser
04-30-11, 7:49 am
Most of the guys I know that got monster calves used to skateboard. I haven't skated in over 15 years (i used to skate 5-6 houurs a day) but whenever I train calves they blow up like a balloon! I think all those years of skating changes the muscle, because that seems like the same story I here from everybody. Maybe Animal needs to start making decks... of course they'd have to be 20 ply!! lol

PORTERHOUSE
04-30-11, 8:25 am
Pizza.
haha, That one's been bouncing around in my head as well.

Most of the guys I know that got monster calves used to skateboard. I haven't skated in over 15 years (i used to skate 5-6 houurs a day) but whenever I train calves they blow up like a balloon! I think all those years of skating changes the muscle, because that seems like the same story I here from everybody. Maybe Animal needs to start making decks... of course they'd have to be 20 ply!! lol
haha dude its absolutely true... skateboarding to me is physical proof of the fast twitch muscle argument, or the sprinter's vs. distance runners etc etc. If you think about it, its all calf work... repetitive jumping over and over again all leveraged directly off your calves. I started when I was about 10 or 11, and gave it up around 16... but I was the same way, skating all day everyday. Years of that turned my calves into rock hard balls of muscle... now if only I could get my biceps to look like my calves, then I'de be in business!

PORTERHOUSE
04-30-11, 8:28 am
Bummed because I don't get to take rage today... supposedly you can't train everyday, gotta rest and recover or so Im told... I guess.

Ran some early morning sprints and then had the worst ab workout I think I've ever had... now im sippin on some bcaa's and a little gatorade. Looking forward to back/triceps tomorrow.

Bruiser
04-30-11, 9:30 am
Bummed because I don't get to take rage today... supposedly you can't train everyday, gotta rest and recover or so Im told... I guess.

Ran some early morning sprints and then had the worst ab workout I think I've ever had... now im sippin on some bcaa's and a little gatorade. Looking forward to back/triceps tomorrow.

Days off suck! I'm spending mine moving to a new house, so I guess that's a damn good workout! I'm going to take Rage in a little bit and get to work!

DanTheMan
05-01-11, 12:07 pm
Incline BB Press X 4 6-10 (working up to 225 X6)
Flat BB Press X 4 12-15 (only 135 for all sets, 45 sec. rest)
Flat Flyes X 3 12-15 (30 sec. rest)

EZ curls X 3 10-12
IN. db Hammer curls X 3 10-12
Hammer Strength seated curl 1 drop set (approximately 7 levels)

abs/cardio

-> This weird guy that I always see but have never talked to before at my gym approached me today and asked me if I wanted to do his special burn out technique for biceps. This guy is about 6'2'' and 180 lbs, impressive muscle separation but very very skinny with toothpick legs, biceps probably 13 inches... but I said yea sure. he then proceeded to explain his special drop sets technique as if I hadn't heard of them before, then he stacked up way too much weight for my arms because they were tired as fuck already, but I did it anyways. I didn't get much of an effective burn because if was too heavy, but he looked happy with himself so I guess that's ok. I pretended to really enjoy it, at which point he said "oh yea no worries man, its my job"... which it isn't, he has just recently grown his first bicep and thinks he's arnold... pretty entertaining, I wish I could get some videos of the shit this guy does for attention, its hilarious. Walking handstands in front of the cardio equipment, shit like that.

anyways, this was basic, no frills workout. Descent pump and burn. No PR's today, but thats ok, I wasn't looking for any. Next week I'll be looking to mix up chest a bit with some sort of supersets/drop sets approach... I won't know what it will be till Im already doing it though.

got tomorrow off... then back/triceps.

Feeling a big cheat meal coming on for tomorrow. Can't decide what it's going to be... burger/fries and ice cream perhaps.

Sounds like oyu're exactly describing a guy we call in our gym "skeletor".... he'll walk around flexing his abs in the mirror but he's just super skinny and thinks he's the shit. haha

PORTERHOUSE
05-01-11, 2:05 pm
Sounds like oyu're exactly describing a guy we call in our gym "skeletor".... he'll walk around flexing his abs in the mirror but he's just super skinny and thinks he's the shit. haha

haha skeletor, I like that. We call this dude Mr. Olympia. He seriously does the most histrionic shit I've ever seen... before he ever does a set he makes eye contact with someone to make sure he has an audience, I mean I could write a whole book about the dumb shit he does. It used to bother me, but honestly now I think he's entertaining as hell. He gives me something to watch while Im doing cardio.

PORTERHOUSE
05-01-11, 2:16 pm
Had the day off yesterday. Had a huge cheat meal from Sonic: Chicken club toaster/foot long 1/4 lb. coney dog with chili and cheese/onion rings. Then walked across the street to Bruester's and got a hot fudge sundae w/ graham cracker ice cream whipped cream and a cherry. All those sugars and terrible calories gave me a huge boost for a deadly workout today:

weighted pull ups (+25 lbs) 4 X - 10 8 6 4 (60 sec. rest in btw each set)
bent over db rows off the db rack X ? - ran up the rack from 40-80, then ran back down the rack from 80 to 40
CG low pulley rows superset with widegrip low pulley rows: 3 X 12 (30 sec. between each superset)
deads: 225 X 10 10 8 8 6 (60 sec. rest between each set)

CGBP (65 lbs) superset with VBar pushdowns 4 X 12-15 (no rest)
EZ bar Skull Crushers (45 lbs) 4 X 12
DB overhead extensions: Ran the rack from 20 to 40, then back down from 40 to 20, no rest

HIIT

I felt like I was going to puke or pass out or both while hitting those deads today. When I don't lift heavy, I up the intensity to the max. I was very satisfied with this workout. Now I gotta go eat cause Im starving.

PORTERHOUSE
05-02-11, 5:36 pm
Another day off. Resting up and recovering. Hitting delts/traps/forearms/abs tomorrow.

Bruiser
05-03-11, 7:44 am
Had the day off yesterday. Had a huge cheat meal from Sonic: Chicken club toaster/foot long 1/4 lb. coney dog with chili and cheese/onion rings. Then walked across the street to Bruester's and got a hot fudge sundae w/ graham cracker ice cream whipped cream and a cherry. All those sugars and terrible calories gave me a huge boost for a deadly workout today:

bent over db rows off the db rack X ? - ran up the rack from 40-80, then ran back down the rack from 80 to 40
CG low pulley rows superset with widegrip low pulley rows: 3 X 12 (30 sec. between each superset)

DB overhead extensions: Ran the rack from 20 to 40, then back down from 40 to 20, no rest

HIIT

I felt like I was going to puke or pass out or both while hitting those deads today. When I don't lift heavy, I up the intensity to the max. I was very satisfied with this workout. Now I gotta go eat cause Im starving.

Damn it!! I've been spending all this money on supplements and all I needed was Sonic? lol Killer session bro.

PORTERHOUSE
05-03-11, 10:53 am
Damn it!! I've been spending all this money on supplements and all I needed was Sonic? lol Killer session bro.

Thanks man.

haha yea man, all those extra calories are crucial... I think im still riding on them cause I was tearing it up again today.

PORTERHOUSE
05-03-11, 11:06 am
Switched up my intra-workout mix. Added more aminos and dropped some sugars:

1 scoop intra aid / 2 tsp BCAA Stack/ 1 tsp EAA Stack

Post: gatorade powder w/ nitro, 1 immediately after training, 1 immediately after cardio.

The Session:

db rear delts flyes superset with db lateral flyes 3 X 10-12

db rear delt flyes: upped weight and went to failure in the first 1/4 of the movement, then triple drop set immediately

db lateral flyes: same as above

Standing bb mil. press superset with arnolds 3 X 12-15 (30 sec. rest btw sets)

Hammer strength shoulder press: heavy weight in first 1/4 of movement, then triple dropset X 2

overhead shoulder press (cable): 2 X 10ish (ultra slow negative, I mean 5-7 seconds or so, stretching all that painful tension across the shoulders, then a quick and controlled push up. When these hurt so bad all you can think about doing is quitting, thats when you bang out five more)

Smith shrugs (1 plate each side) 4 or 5ish X 10-15ish
Smith shrugs: 2 plates each side moving through the first 1/4 of the motion only, to failure

forearm work( not necessary to train, sometimes I just like to watch my veins swell out)

Abs/low intensity cardio.

Huge volume and fanciness today. Just the shock my shoulders needed. Again, nothing heavy here, but super intense and painful none the less. My shoulders felt like balloons that were about to pop. More than likely next week I will be going a little more basic, but who knows, I make this shit up as I go. Either way, I haven't been this happy with shoulders in a while, rage makes me feel like a super focused ball of energy!

DANO
05-03-11, 11:20 am
Looks good P... The instinctive route is, in my opinion, one of the best to take. And with Rage it makes it all the better.

Carrnage
05-03-11, 9:32 pm

HIIT

good work bro! damn you consider that a cheat meal? a cheat meal for me is 4 double cheese burgers, large order of fries, and a tub of ice cream lol

PORTERHOUSE
05-04-11, 10:47 am
Looks good P... The instinctive route is, in my opinion, one of the best to take. And with Rage it makes it all the better.
Thanks bro. Couldn't agree more, at the end of the day, we're just trying to tear down muscle. I don't like to over complicate something so simple by trying to draw a blueprint, I just go in there and do it.

good work bro! damn you consider that a cheat meal? a cheat meal for me is 4 double cheese burgers, large order of fries, and a tub of ice cream lol
thanks man.

Shit I wish I could eat that much, it took every bit of effort I had to get that meal down. My biggest problem in this sport is a poor appetite. I've always been that way.

PORTERHOUSE
05-04-11, 10:57 am
HUGE PR TO REPORT!!!

just not for me. Gave my girlfriend some rage today, and she banged out 135 X 10 on squats today 3 or four times (she only weighs 105)! She has been looking for that plate on each side for a little while, but usually Im not lifting with her so she has no one to push her, and usually she isn't on rage.

As for me...

I got off to a slow start today because in the beginning I was working with her on squats... we were working in w/each other, and whatever weight she had on there just put a plate over it and squatted. We were going off a box today. After squats, I got more into a groove. Nothing each shattering today, but a descent leg day none the less.

box squats superset with dec. leg press X 4 10-15

plate loaded unilateral leg curls superset with db SLDL X 4 10-15

smith sled 3 X 10-12 then upped weight and did a power partial set to failure, then immediately dropped wiehgt and went to failure

Calf press (1 plate) 10 X 10 (10 sec. rest between sets)

Ham curls (machine) 5 X 10 (10 sec. rest)

Unfortunately, my left ham all the way through my calf is feeling like it may have a strain. I'm going to have to keep a close eye on it. I may keep up these lighter workouts through the rest of the week, then next week I'll probably switch to heavy, low volume work and hit some pr's!

DANO
05-04-11, 12:58 pm
Huge congrats for the PR!! take care of that hammy.

PORTERHOUSE
05-04-11, 6:46 pm
forgot to add she set another PR while on rage today... she's been working real hard on pull ups, and she was cranking out sets of 4 and 5 today, when last time she was hitting 2 maybe 3 at a time.

so her first day of rage she hit 2 PR's... squat @135 (several sets) and the pull ups. Keep in mind she is 5'2'' 105 lbs. So there's some proof of rage's ability to increase PR's. Problem for her is that she doesn't get any more free rage samples from me!

Bruiser
05-05-11, 8:18 am
Problem for her is that she doesn't get any more free rage samples from me!

HAHAHA. You just don't want her showing you up! lol Take care of that hamstring bro. Lighten up the sessions for a week and then come back strong. Good luck.

PORTERHOUSE
05-05-11, 11:27 am
Huge congrats for the PR!! take care of that hammy.
Thanks bro will do.

HAHAHA. You just don't want her showing you up! lol Take care of that hamstring bro. Lighten up the sessions for a week and then come back strong. Good luck.
haha, I think she's going to order the pills tonight now so Im screwed either way. She tried to get more from me today but I said no way, not till she's ordered some of her own to pay me back haha. With most things I'm pretty generous, but not my rage.

PORTERHOUSE
05-05-11, 11:37 am
Had a really descent session today, mixed in many supersets, drop sets and power-partials. Chest and Biceps are swollen and I'm looking forward to some soreness in my chest tomorrow. Nothing heavy in here today, next week I'm thinking on lowering the volume and upping the weight, look for a PR on incline next week.

Incline bb press superset with flat bb press (135) 3 X10-15 (30ish second rest btw supersets)

Incline bb press power partial into triple drop set (starting at 195) X 1

Decline smith press 3 X 12-15

Cable Flyes dropsets X 2 (didn't count the levels, provided a serious pump though. 1st was probably around 7 levels, second was about 5)

EZ Curls 3 X10-15

Ez Curls powerpartials into triple drop set X 1

db Hammer curl dropsets superset with standing unilateral cable curls X 3

plate loaded hammer strength preacher curl X 3 10-15

plate loaded hammer strength preacher curl power partial into triple dropset X 1

HIIT

Ab Work

time to eat.

DANO
05-05-11, 12:21 pm
Nice work bro!

Time to what??

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m539/DANO365/05042017.jpg

PORTERHOUSE
05-07-11, 11:27 am
Nice work bro!

Time to what??

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m539/DANO365/05042017.jpg

Man I miss steak. My two basic rules of gaining are 1: eat at least one steak a day and 2: if the opportunity arises, never turn down a porterhouse. Ive currently pulled my diet down to a caloric deficit right now (I dont want to say cut because I don't want to paint it with that brush, I'm only looking to drop about 4% right now and get back under 10), and consequently cut almost all the fatty red meats out of my diet. I got a little too fat for comfort this winter and bounced up to 16% at one point. Right now I'm in the 11-12% range, looking for about 8% or so. After that I'm going to keep it cleaner and get back to gaining for at least 2 years or so.

Long story short, enjoy the steak!

PORTERHOUSE
05-07-11, 11:37 am
Widegrip overhead pull downs: 3 X 12-15 4th set power partial into triple drop

Close grip underhand pull downs: 3 X 12-15 4th set power partial into triple drop

db bent over rows leveraged off the db rack: ran the rack by 10's from 50 - 80, 30 sec. rest, then back down from 80 - 50

Plate loaded hammer strength rows: 3 X 12-15 4th set power partial into triple drop

Deads: 225 X 10 / 275 X 8 / 295 X 6 / 315 X 4 / 325 X 1 (PR) / 335 X 1 (PR)

CGBP 3 X 12-15 4th set power partial to triple drop

VBar Push downs 3 X 12-15 4th set power partial to triple drop

Seated pushdowns (machine) 3 X 12-15 4th set power partial to triple drop

One arm cable pull downs superset with db overhead press 3 X 12-15ish

db overhead press 5 level drop

-> Keeping consistent with this week I kept the volume high and mixed in numerous power partials and drop sets. The PR's on deads are not heavy, but deads are something that I have avoided for over a year (until recently) because of a lower back issue. While my squats are descent, my dead strength is shit, but at least its growing, im also in a caloric deficit but still hitting PR's, so boom!

Bruiser
05-07-11, 11:55 am
I was looking at your amino mixture. Try adding 20g of glutamine to your pre and postworkout. Intense pumps and quick recovery.

PORTERHOUSE
05-07-11, 12:20 pm
I was looking at your amino mixture. Try adding 20g of glutamine to your pre and postworkout. Intense pumps and quick recovery.

BCAA stack contains a 2:1 ratio with glutamine/bcaa. Im not sure which one you saw, because I recently updated my intra stack to:

1 scoop intra-aid/ 2 tsp bcaa stack/1 tsp eaa stack

post: 2 packs nitro spaced by about 25-35 mins with a small amount of gatorade powder.

Thats an extremely stiff dose of aminos, which is what I'm all about, especially during and immediately post. With that amount of aminos, I don't believe adding more glutamine to the mix would result in a measurable difference in recovery. A lot of people swear by large amounts of glutamine, which I have used in the past, but never really saw a difference (personally).

Right now my recovery is excellent, if at some point it began to suffer I would more that likely bump up the aminos, but that increase would come in the form of more bcaa stack rather than me investing in yet another supplement (im cheap).

Especially now because im dropping bf% however, it would be unlikely that I would increase any aminos. Shortly I will probably pull them down significantly. While I agree with the idea that you can't have to many amino's while gaining, a lot of people don't realize that aminos have the same caloric density as glucose, which at some point could inhibit weight loss as the excess aminos will be stored as fat. I'm currently taking such a stiff dose because I'm just playing around with mixtures for when I switch back over to gaining (hopefully soon, only looking to drop about 4%) Soon however, I will probably drop the intra and switch over to only 2 nitro pre and post until I hit my bf% goal.

I try not to get too hung up on individual details when it comes to supplements because I remind myself that people have been getting big long before all these fancy supps hit the market. I know dudes much bigger than me that dont even take whey, and I know dude's smaller than me that try to perfect every aspect of this game through supplementation, usually to no avail.

My basic MO for lifting is hyperfeeding aminos around training, pak and uniliver. Simple and effective. I cycle fancier things from time to time like mstak or whatever, but basically my attention and concern is much more on diet.

PORTERHOUSE
05-10-11, 7:10 pm
got lazy the last couple days... my b yo.

No PR's to report, after hitting heavy deads and hittin the 2 PR's at the end of last week I haven't been lifting as heavy.

Sunday was off, ate an entire papa john's large pie and made a huge homemade sundae... tits.

Monday: delts/traps/abs

started off some heavierish seated bb presses... then mixed it up with some extensions yada yada yada... went to do some low intensity cardio, but my energy wasn't there so I called it off after about ten mins or so... gotta know how to listen to yourself. Im taking this as a sign that because im in a caloric deficit that I may be pushing things a little too far, before it gets too bad Im making a few adjustments:

1: Bumping carbs up slightly
2: Switching back to a 7 day week, which will give me an extra day off, 3 instead of 2
3: Cheat meal moved to last meal of the day (i usually eat it around lunch, but then end up so full I can hardly eat the rest of the day... time for a change)

PORTERHOUSE
05-10-11, 7:17 pm
Squats: working up to 335 X 6 then drop 2 level drop @225 and 135

unilateral plate loaded ham curls 4 X 18 (just seemed to feel like the right number today, no rest, just back and fourth)

dec. sled press 3 X 12-15 (30 sec. rest)

bb sldl 3 X 12-15 (30 sec. rest)

hack sled 3 X 12-15

calf press 2 plates X 10 / 3 plates X 10 / 4 plates X 10 etc etc... working up to only 6 plates today, then back down. All sets of ten, no rest besides me switching the plates.

This is for all intents and purposes my go to leg routine, more or less. Every time I do this workout, Im guaranteed to walk out of the gym with shaky, swollen legs, and today was no exception. Obliterate your legs on squats, then finish em off with light weight, slow negative/explosive positive work.

Because Im back on a 7 day week, I've got the day off tomorrow... I hate days off, but what are you gonna do?

DANO
05-10-11, 7:49 pm
Looking good in here P. How's the Rage fueling you?

Bruiser
05-11-11, 9:15 am
got lazy the last couple days... my b yo.

No PR's to report, after hitting heavy deads and hittin the 2 PR's at the end of last week I haven't been lifting as heavy.

Sunday was off, ate an entire papa john's large pie and made a huge homemade sundae... tits.

Monday: delts/traps/abs

started off some heavierish seated bb presses... then mixed it up with some extensions yada yada yada... went to do some low intensity cardio, but my energy wasn't there so I called it off after about ten mins or so... gotta know how to listen to yourself. Im taking this as a sign that because im in a caloric deficit that I may be pushing things a little too far, before it gets too bad Im making a few adjustments:

1: Bumping carbs up slightly
2: Switching back to a 7 day week, which will give me an extra day off, 3 instead of 2
3: Cheat meal moved to last meal of the day (i usually eat it around lunch, but then end up so full I can hardly eat the rest of the day... time for a change)

I was thinking about doing this with my cheat meal too. But I'm worried about carrying the extra calories into bedtime when metabolism is slow. Thoughts?

PORTERHOUSE
05-11-11, 11:34 am
I was thinking about doing this with my cheat meal too. But I'm worried about carrying the extra calories into bedtime when metabolism is slow. Thoughts?

you know man, I think this is one of these things I'm going to need to find out for myself. It's a classic example of two sides to every argument. If its one thing I've learned about this sport its that you really need to find out for yourself instead of trying to figure out what looks best on paper. Like you, I have always timed it mid day for the same reason, but like I said, it keeps me from eating the rest of the day. I walked in the gym expecting to have all the stored energy from the foods the day before and ended up dragging through a shoulder workout, even on rage. At this point, Im going to have to try it the other way and basically just see how it goes... if nothing else I'll learn what not to do, which is just as important as learning what to do.

I'll definitely keep you posted on how I like it compared to mid day though... If everything is still rolling I'll probably be cheating on sunday night again... and I'll have a better perspective midweek to the end of next week.

PORTERHOUSE
05-11-11, 11:37 am
Looking good in here P. How's the Rage fueling you?

Thanks man!

My energy drag was caused by a dietary fuck up, not rage. After I got home I actually began to snap back out of it, which I attribute to the rage. I can definitely feel rage working long after I get out of the gym, even on days like that.

PORTERHOUSE
05-12-11, 6:23 pm
Skipped on the cardio again today, my energy hasn't been 100%, I'm actually considering finishing out this week and then taking a week off if I don't start to feel better... my systolic blood pressure is a little high so I'm going to be going to the doctor here in the next few days and getting a full blood work panel done.. All that aside the work I put in today was descent, even though I'm dragging through my workouts at this point.

Incline bb press working up to 225 X 6

flat bb press 3 X 12-15 @ 135 4th set increased weight power partial into triple drop, then one more set @ 135

flat flyes 3 X 12-15

cable flyes 3 X 12-15

alternating db curls superset with standing close grip ez bar curls leveraged off my abdomen 3 X 12-15 (30 sec. rest)

hammer strength preacher curl 3 X 15ish or more (wasn't counting really) 4th set increased weight power partial into triple drop

standing db preacher curls leveraged off an incline bench 2 or 3 X 12ish

quick but painful ab work

no cardio

Bruiser
05-13-11, 8:48 am
How ya liking the supersets? It looks like a hell of a workout. Let me know how the cheat meal change up works for you.

PORTERHOUSE
05-15-11, 10:28 am
How ya liking the supersets? It looks like a hell of a workout. Let me know how the cheat meal change up works for you.

I definitely like adding all kinds of different techniques that can up the intensity and pain of a workout... I tend to lift more basic and mix things in like supersets or dropsets etc... to switch it up. I've been doing a lot of power partials lately which is a technique I just picked up, but quickly have become a believer of.

I'll let you know about that cheat meal man, although I wont be doing it tonight because Im getting a full blood work panel done first thing tomorrow a.m. and I dont want to spike my insulin the night before and get diagnosed as a diabetic haha... probably around tuesday... depending on how everything is going.

PORTERHOUSE
05-15-11, 10:48 am
I finally feel back on track. Last back day I went all out on deads, and with my diet being the way it was I never recovered... started to feel overtrained very quickly, literally overnight. Tired all day, irritable, no energy in the gym. I recognized this instantly and made several changes (listed a few posts back)... I never missed a lifting session but I quit all cardio and wasn't going all out on the wieghts... after about a week I finally walked back into the gym yesterday and felt 100%, had an awesome workout, but skipped the deads this time around.

Its difficult to train less intense when your dieting down (even though I'm only going down a little). I love to train balls to the wall and leave the gym feeling like I've kicked my own ass every time, and the rage makes it even more hard to take it easy.

This was a simple workout, but I left feeling pumped and satisfied:

bb rows working up to 225 X 6 the drop sets back down to 135 X 15 (didnt count how many levels of the dropsets)

widegrip overhand pulldowns 3 X 12-15 4th set icnreased weight to powerpartial into triple drop

close grip low pulley rows 3 X 12-15 4th set powerpartial drop sets again

T-bar rows 3 X 12-15 4th set power partials again

CGBP working up to 185 by tens, got a spotter to get some forced reps after failure t 185, then drop sets by 20's all the way back down. No idea sets/reps #'s... it's not important, it was effective believe me

seated pushdowns 3 X 12-15ish

the gym I was at yesterday just got a T-bar so threw it into the routine today. They had a wide grip handle for it that I didn't really care fore but it's a movement haven't hit in a long time so its all good... different angle and whatever.

Bruiser
05-16-11, 7:48 am
Nice back session. Good luck on the bloodwork. I just got mine done a few weeks ago. It's good to stay on top of that stuff.

PORTERHOUSE
05-18-11, 11:22 am
Sorry brotatoes, I have been super busy the past couple days so I missed a posts on here (although I havent missed a training session or meal).

No PR's to reprt as of today, but will probably be looking for some tomorrow on incline bench!

Cheat meal last night: 2 huge burgers and onion rings from sonic and a huge homemade sundae with all the fixin's, including a shitload of my all time favorite topping... coolwhip!

delts/traps/abs were Monday

Quads/Hams/Calves were today.

Rage is still going strong. I was distracted today and forgot to drop the red pill from pump, and Im bouncing off the fucking walls right now! It's still a nicely controlled energy burn... but I probably won't be doing it again anytime soon. I feel like I am going to explode out my front door and sprint down the street at any moment.

Ill let you know how tomorrow goes and if I can hit that incline bench PR.

PORTERHOUSE
05-18-11, 11:25 am
Nice back session. Good luck on the bloodwork. I just got mine done a few weeks ago. It's good to stay on top of that stuff.

It definitely is man... with all the protein and amino's on top of other supps we consume it's very important to check to make sure you're body is processing everything. Some people's bodies can't handle the excess protein and wreck their kidney's... if it's caught early enough a simple change in diet and/or supplement routine can fix the problem, but left untreated for too long and people can cause permanent damage.

Bruiser
05-18-11, 2:27 pm
It definitely is man... with all the protein and amino's on top of other supps we consume it's very important to check to make sure you're body is processing everything. Some people's bodies can't handle the excess protein and wreck their kidney's... if it's caught early enough a simple change in diet and/or supplement routine can fix the problem, but left untreated for too long and people can cause permanent damage.

Also with the amount of eggs we eat. My doctor was happy as hell when my cholesterol levels came back great. He's one of the few docs that never flip flopped on if eggs are healthy or not. I eat at least a dozen eggs a day and my levels were awesome! My doc told me I can tell people to shove they're opinions up their ass next time someone gets on me about eggs and cholesterol. He actually said that. I love my doctor... lol

PORTERHOUSE
05-18-11, 2:43 pm
Also with the amount of eggs we eat. My doctor was happy as hell when my cholesterol levels came back great. He's one of the few docs that never flip flopped on if eggs are healthy or not. I eat at least a dozen eggs a day and my levels were awesome! My doc told me I can tell people to shove they're opinions up their ass next time someone gets on me about eggs and cholesterol. He actually said that. I love my doctor... lol

yea definitely man. Eggs are full of great things and for most people will actually help keep cholesterol low with good cholesterol and emulsifiers etc etc.

I miss eggs, I've been on egg whites for a while now.

Bruiser
05-18-11, 2:57 pm
yea definitely man. Eggs are full of great things and for most people will actually help keep cholesterol low with good cholesterol and emulsifiers etc etc.

I miss eggs, I've been on egg whites for a while now.

NEVER NEVER NEVER will I give up my yolks. I always want to ask at restaurants if I can get a egg yolk omelet since they usually have egg white omelets. Don't want them to waste those yolks... but my wife won't let me order one. Probably for the best. lol

PORTERHOUSE
05-22-11, 7:53 pm
I had a pretty big cheat meal last week: 2 huge burgers from sonic, onion rings, HUGE homemade ice cream sundae. I did this around 7-730 at night instead of in the morning, and I got to say, I like the later time much better. I was able to stay on my normal diet all day, and I got through the inevitable cheat bloat much faster, I have even dropped another millimeter off my suprailiac this week, as of today.

I normally notice the water come on strong on the 2nd day after a cheat, peak around the 3rd or fourth day, and taper back off by day 5 or 6. This time it seemed to peak around day 2-3 and was totally gone by day 4... energy stayed with me much better also. I've only had one experience with this timing, but so far I am definitely recommending it.

Im in caloric deficit and dropping bf%, (although not too much weight really... which is fucking great, the best possible way to diet down) and my strength is still near were it would be normally.

PORTERHOUSE
05-22-11, 8:04 pm
I've been busy with the move but I promise I havent missed a session or a meal... although I've been slacking here. I'll be done soon and back to posting my lengthy posts more often soon, but here's one to tid eyou over for now...

Hit a PR on incline bb bench 235 X 5 (thursday)

I originally entered this because incline bench was a move I could never get... for years. I can hit it with db's just fine... but for some reason on a barbell I could never feel it right, always in my shoulders never in my chest. I eventually gave up and just worked flat bench... got that up and over 3 pies, but still couldn't hit incline bb. So a few months ago I finally said "fuck it I gotta learn this" and I spent an entire session on the incline rack, adjusting grip, angle, etc.. until I finally got it. I haven't flat benched heavy in months, and have been focusing on feeling that incline bench, now I feel it better than even flat bench! I love it. The number isn't big but it will continue to go up, Ive been working on form and hanging around 225 X 10 for a long time now, but Im ready to move up. I have also switched from lifting heavy to higher reps more focus on controlling the squeeze, explosion etc, which is also why my numbers are so low on certain moves.

Hit Back yesterday... no PR's but still moving good weight... bb rows 265 X 8 was the biggest I went yesterday, no deads this week.

a little hiit afterwards

had the day off today, shoudlers tomorrow.

Keep in mind im also dieting down but still seeing solid strength and hitting PR's... isn't that supposed to be impossible? oops.

PORTERHOUSE
05-26-11, 7:03 am
Iv'e been talking to myself in this thread for some time now so I doubt anyone has noticed, but unfortunately we have been dealing with a death in the family for the past few days. It's especially hard because in addition to loosing a family member I am scheduled to move across the country on Saturday, and this has caused extra travel and we lost a lot of packing time. I have decided to use this time to focus on other things besides training and to "clean" my system and have stopped all supplement use, including rage. I will resume my rage log and regular training schedule on or immediately after the 31st, which is our move-in date.

until then...

Bruiser
05-26-11, 7:40 am
Iv'e been talking to myself in this thread for some time now so I doubt anyone has noticed, but unfortunately we have been dealing with a death in the family for the past few days. It's especially hard because in addition to loosing a family member I am scheduled to move across the country on Saturday, and this has caused extra travel and we lost a lot of packing time. I have decided to use this time to focus on other things besides training and to "clean" my system and have stopped all supplement use, including rage. I will resume my rage log and regular training schedule on or immediately after the 31st, which is our move-in date.

until then...

I'm sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family. Good luck with your move and take care of yourself. Later bro.

PORTERHOUSE
06-09-11, 12:49 pm
finally back on here. Since I left I drove from the east coast in s carolina to denver colorado (1739 miles). I have been super busy with moving but we are finally pretty much moved into our new place, I was out of the gym and off ALL supps for about 10 days, but started back up on sunday.

It was hard to eat right on the road and unfortunately I went hungry a large part of the time, I dropped about 5 lbs which I did not want to do, but It's ok, Ill recover. Im still pretty busy over the weekend but now that we have the internet finally I will be looking to continue this log again on sunday.

It sucks going to the gym when you've been out for that long, even though it all comes back quick. If I would have been able to maintain a proper diet I would have just enjoyed the recovery... but oh well.

DANO
06-09-11, 12:50 pm
welcome back!

Bruiser
06-09-11, 1:25 pm
Glad to hear the move went good. How did you feel being off the supps for 10 days? I've been thinking about doing that to let my body get back to normal function after my bulk cycle ends after July. Let me know bud.

PORTERHOUSE
06-10-11, 9:34 pm
welcome back!
Thanks brother glad to be back in the shit! I saw that pic you put up squatting that contraption of yours, thats true hardcore right there!

Glad to hear the move went good. How did you feel being off the supps for 10 days? I've been thinking about doing that to let my body get back to normal function after my bulk cycle ends after July. Let me know bud.
Thanks man!

This time around would be a bad example to base advice on because my diet was so fucked for the last week and a half or so, but what I can tell you is that for me there comes a few times a year where I will come off everything, even pak, and I always come back feeling fresh. I do it mostly to regain sensitivity to stims, but I also think its important to "flush" out your system or whatnot. We are asking our bodies to process a lot of stuff, and I like to take time to refresh my system (it's also why I get my blood checked, but we talked about that already). I try to time it around change, like you said, switching off a gaining cycle, a vacation (any vacation I go on I am no longer a body builder), etc... usually Im not in the gym at this point either, but there's no reason you couldn't keep training.

I say give it a shot man.

Bruiser
06-12-11, 9:32 am
Thanks man. I'm either starting my cut July 1st or August 1st depending on when I hit 240 lbs. I think I'll clear my system that first week since I only eat REAL clean during my cut and load up on fruits and veggies. I'll be able to cleanse pretty easy. I'll let you know how it goes.