PDA

View Full Version : Repping PRs with Rage

ionicrod
04-21-11, 4:12 pm
Here is where I will keep my rage log. I was a lucky one to be selected to keep a log of rage as I attempt to hit some PRs over the next few weeks.

I look forward to this keeping this log, and maybe it will be of benefit to some.

I will post shortly my entry write up to give an introduction.

ionicrod
04-21-11, 4:13 pm
I have been lifting for 5 years now. I was never a genetically gifted athlete, any gain that I have made has been hard earned and fought for. I am weakest on my pressing movements and strongest on my pulling movements. Between various setbacks, I have never bench pressed more than 215. Two years ago I squatted 325, then through a series of shoulder issues my pressing and squatting gains stalled. I deadlifted 375 off of the floor just a few months ago. I am now just building up to using 185 on any barbell chest presses for singles or double repetitions. I was able to build back up to a 275 squat a few weeks ago. My goal for before June was to handle 325 on squatting again, pull 400, and press 225. While my main focus has been staying healthy and injury free it is important to me to be as strong as possible. I have never had an injury in the gym, just injuries outside that have set me back. I am 6' and 195lbs, 21 years old, and am about to get my undergraduate degree in Landscape Architecture in less than two weeks.

Bruiser
04-22-11, 9:07 am
Good luck bro. I was picked too. It'll be cool to see how everybody else grows and develops during their journeys. Congrats on the upcoming degree. That's something I always wish I had done. My dad just got a degree in Green Technologies (he's 62!!!) and we've been doing landscaping for ten years. BTW, did you choose paks or powder?

J-Dawg
04-22-11, 9:54 am
I have been lifting for 5 years now. I was never a genetically gifted athlete, any gain that I have made has been hard earned and fought for. I am weakest on my pressing movements and strongest on my pulling movements. Between various setbacks, I have never bench pressed more than 215. Two years ago I squatted 325, then through a series of shoulder issues my pressing and squatting gains stalled. I deadlifted 375 off of the floor just a few months ago. I am now just building up to using 185 on any barbell chest presses for singles or double repetitions. I was able to build back up to a 275 squat a few weeks ago. My goal for before June was to handle 325 on squatting again, pull 400, and press 225. While my main focus has been staying healthy and injury free it is important to me to be as strong as possible. I have never had an injury in the gym, just injuries outside that have set me back. I am 6' and 195lbs, 21 years old, and am about to get my undergraduate degree in Landscape Architecture in less than two weeks.

Let's do this ion! Curious to see how Rage can help with getting those numbers up.

ionicrod
04-22-11, 11:23 am
Good luck bro. I was picked too. It'll be cool to see how everybody else grows and develops during their journeys. Congrats on the upcoming degree. That's something I always wish I had done. My dad just got a degree in Green Technologies (he's 62!!!) and we've been doing landscaping for ten years. BTW, did you choose paks or powder?

Thanks, its been a stressful four years, but I have enjoyed it. I believe there is a lot of future in the green, sustainable fields. It awesome that you dad did that, I bet it was hard.

I chose the powder, I was really unsure which to log. I ended up choosing the powder because I enjoy drinking something on the way to the gym.

ionicrod
04-22-11, 11:24 am
Let's do this ion! Curious to see how Rage can help with getting those numbers up.

Awesome, thats makes two of us!

ionicrod
05-08-11, 11:10 pm
Finally got my rage. It had been misplaced in the mail system, but I got it saturday finally. I am in the process of living between two places right now, being a recent college graduate has rendered my life difficult. I was planning on a very quick quad workout yesterday, but I recieved the rage finally and couldnt stand to not test it. It was a good time to test it though. I was only about to get about 6 hours of sleep (which for me is undesiarble, I try to get 9) and I had been driving and moving all day.

I accident mixed up the powder in too much water, so I ended up doing a double serving. Which was a little much for me. It felt good, I did not get shakey or sick. Big plusses.

Workout wise, I did not hit any amazing numbers or reps. I was running off of two meals and was tired, so I was not expecting much. My workout was leg extensions, leg presses, squats, and leg presses

I had to be careful, from all of the driving and moving my hips and lower back were really stiff. So i played it safe.

leg ext-3x10 (warming up and stretching)
leg press-2x15 (warming and stretching still)
back squats 3x8 these were moderate reps. I used 165 on the final set. I could have handled more weight, but everything was really tight still, but it felt really good
Leg press 3x12 work sets. this is a homemade leg press at the gym, on of the heavier sled systems I have used. my last set was 360lbs. This weight surprised me. The rage had really kicked in by this time. I was only planning on used 180 lbs. the 360 was easy, but I could not do anymore sets. I had to leave for a mothers day dinner.

So far, the rage seems like its going to be an excellent product.

Bruiser
05-09-11, 8:57 am
Nice leg workout. I can't believe that it took that long to get yor Rage (I had mine the Monday after the promo was over). But now you can kill it. Good luck, and looking forward to your progress.

ionicrod
05-09-11, 12:42 pm
Nice leg workout. I can't believe that it took that long to get yor Rage (I had mine the Monday after the promo was over). But now you can kill it. Good luck, and looking forward to your progress.

Ah thanks. I am in rebound mode right now really. So, for the next few weeks, everything should be improving.
I am not sure what happened to my rage. I finally got it though. So all is well.

ionicrod
05-15-11, 12:07 am
Okay, have used raged twice since my last post. I couldn access the site post my chest workout, so this will be a "double post"

Chest

band stretches to warm up rotators, shouulders, chest, tris, and etc

One arm Cable Flies (Big believer in warming up and pre exhausting)
I do a 15, 12, 12, 10, 8, failure set and rep scheme. I went to failure with 70 lbs

Super Set
Dips (I like this over flat bench)
4 sets to failure, (reps were 8,6,5,4) I am only doing partial range now on these, I am working on going deeper each week, then I will get my rep counts up

Cable flies (performed after each set of dips)
used 50lbs for each set, for 10-12 reps

Inc Barbell Press (This and Decline Barbell are the only two ches, barbell presses I perform regularly)

95lbsx15
115x12
135x12
155x4
155x3

One Set of Cable Flies to stretch

Flat DB flies
30lbs to failure, one set

Preacher bb Curls

30lb + 12lb bar weight
3 sets of "21s" Reps performed slowly and deliberately

Leg Press Calf Raises
(One long continuous set, not breaks)
180 lbs on sled
two legs 20 reps
single leg 8 reps
two legs 10 reps
-feet neutral
-feet pointed out
-feet pointed in
single leg failure
two leg failure

(FYI, as of 5 pm today, I can not walk after this calf workout)

My opinions... Workout was good, strength is GRADUALLY returning after the sapping semester. Rage keep me in the gym for a while, for an intense (for me) workout. I am enjoying the product. I am still having a hard time getting the powder down, the taste is very bitter to me. I drank it with room temp water out of necessity this workout, it was gagging with such luke warm water. Much better in iced water.

ionicrod
05-15-11, 12:17 am
This ws done today.

leg ext warm up
3 sets
leg press warm up
180lb on sled, 15+reps
stretching....stretching...stetching

back squats
95x12
115x8
135x8
185x6
225x4
225x4
185x5

(getting back into squatting, I am so mad at myself, my strenght is almost all gone on chest presses and squats. I handled 20lbs more on each set this week, so that is a big plus. I was only able to handle 165 for 6reps 7 days ago)

leg press (weight not counting sled)

180x15
270x12
360x12
450x12
drop set
360x7

I went slow with squats, but I went super fast on the leg press. My strength was really up this workout compared to last, and once again I was able to keep and even raise the intensity by the end of the workout.

Opion on Rage: Insted of mixing in a shaker, just threw the powder in my mouth and took a chug of water. Same bitter taste, but handled it better and it went away faster using this method. My drive and focus never faultered this workout, just my strength. So, once again, rage is proving to be a solid product.

ionicrod
05-23-11, 3:10 pm
Delayed in posting, but internet has been in and out, and the forum has been difficult to load. Spent 15 mins loading this page to post.

Did the rage, powder shot instead of drinking it.

It was hamstring day

warm up/ pre-exhaust
lying ham curl-3x10 90lbs
single leg db straight leg dead lift-3x10 65lbs

straight leg deadlift- 135x15, 185 x10, 235x8, 285x5

These were new numbers for me. I was very happy. I have never done that much weight/reps on sldls.

One again, numbers are going up and I am getting leaner. The start to an excellent summer (I hope).

Bruiser
05-24-11, 7:49 am
Nice work on that PR man. So what did you think of the Rage powder shot?

ionicrod
05-25-11, 5:44 pm
Nice work on that PR man. So what did you think of the Rage powder shot?

Ah thanks, I am really getting back into lifting consistently and hard these days. I like taking it as a shot over a few swigs of a drink. I wish now I would have gone with the pills cause I do not care for the taste. I use this same method for some amino powders too, the rage took some getting used to for me, because the serving is larger than the powders I take this way.

ionicrod
05-25-11, 5:54 pm
Internet was down again, so this workout is from yesterday.

Leg Day-Quad focus

I wanted to jump right into sqauts today. Only did a few bodyweight lunges. The gym I am at does not have anything good to isolate the quads and hams for pre-exhuasting like I prefer.

warm up
2 sets of step ups
lunge stretches

Back Squat
bar x 10
95 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 6
245 x 3

Leg press

180 x 20
270 x 15
360 x 12
450 x 10
540 x 8

Front squat circuit...super set (aka no rest between sets)

bar x 10
95 failure
115 failure
95 failure

Sooooo Pretty much blew my last workout out of the water. New prs like crazy this workout. Rage is doing an excellent job as supply a nice, sustained energy boost. Not only did I plow through my squat numbers, I still had plenty of energy to hit the leg press with a lot of intensity. I had the energy for front squats, but no strenght.

Just to keep it all relative, even before school got super hectic and I lossed some strength I would only ever get maybe 275 once or so and only get 8 maybe 10 reps out of 185. What this means is... I am about caught up to any leg glory days I once had and will hopefully be surpassing them soon.

ionicrod
05-27-11, 10:21 pm
Did chest tonight. Did the powder shot again. I usually take the rage a good 30 minutes before working out. I drank it ONE time right when I got out of the gym, mistake. My muscles got tired before my mind did ha, so i was engergetic but not able to lift anything.

So, yeah, chest

warm up/ pre-exhaust: single arm cable flies

30x15
50x15
70x8

Bodyweight Dips
4 sets to failure (each set was over 8 repetitions, but lost count after that...it got hard)
*note: I am finally hitting my full depth for this exercise. I have only been able to get a couple of good reps, and then just partials. My goal is to start hitting 12+ reps each set, then start holding a db between my feet.

Flat DB flies:
25x12
30x12
40x7
( Ive always found it ironic, this has always been one of my 'stronger' exercises. While my bench numbers are low, I can db fly 40-45 for sometimes up to 10 reps. I guess I could note I keep my arms mostly straight while I do this too)

Incline BB press (what what? BB press as the 4th exercise??)

115x12
135x8
135x4 (this was failure, honestly thought i was gonna have to dump the weight)

Two arm cable flies, this was one big super set..rest pause..drop set
50-failure
50-failure
50-failure
40-failure
40-failure

Standing single arm cable laterals

two sets of 20lbs to failure

Db clean/ lateral

three sets of 25 lbs

Preacher curls: cambered bar
35lbsx15
55lbs x 10
55lbs x 8
55lbs x 6

Standing cambered bar curls (these sets were done with diff grips, most difficult grip to easiest).

55 lbs x 10
55 lbs x 10
55 lbs x 10
55 lbs x 10

Leg press toe presses One big giant set of alternating foot positions to single foot presses and etc

180 lbs x 100+reps

Bruiser
05-28-11, 7:41 am
Monster numbers and volume here bro. Looks amazing. I wish I had access to a leg press. I've never even had an opportunity to use one. Keep these numbers up and you'll be nailing your PRs again and will regain any strength you had in the past and blow that out the water.

ionicrod
05-29-11, 1:56 pm
Monster numbers and volume here bro. Looks amazing. I wish I had access to a leg press. I've never even had an opportunity to use one. Keep these numbers up and you'll be nailing your PRs again and will regain any strength you had in the past and blow that out the water.

Ah, thanks. I dont really think about volume when I train, somtimes its a good bit, like this last workout, then sometimes it may be something to the contrary.

I am really seeing a lot of gains right now, and I am loving it. One of the best rebound periods I have ever had.

Ah, man, no leg press?? Man, that has to be hard. All it have access to right now is a leg press, power rack, and a ham curl bench for legs, and that is driving me crazy. ha!

ionicrod
06-08-11, 11:23 pm
I have had a few workouts since the last post but no Rage workouts. Mainly, shoulder, arms, ab, and hamstring work. Did quads yesterday, but forgot to take Rage (ha, i know). My life has been so hectic lately, so I am just glad I managed to go to the gym. My numbers are being affected strongly by the heat. I spend my days working in 100 degree heat and 75% + humidity. My strength and stamina are down. Soooo, moving on.

Chest today:
Single arm flies warm up,
Worked up to 50lbs- I just really didnt feel like going to failure with 70lbs today, felft like pressing heavier

Decline bb press-
barx25
95lbx20
115x15
135x12
155x9
165x4

Incline DB press
45 x 10
55x8
60x4

Standing Cable Flies-On large super set

50lbxfailure
50lbxfailure
50xfailure
50xfalure
50xfailure

That was it for chest. My strength is still down. Idk what my problem is. Sometimes I really wonder if I am simply not supposed to be a strong person.

Bicpes
Cambered Bar Preacher Curls-21 style
20lbs on bar-
30 lbs on bar
30 lbs on bar

Standing SIngle Arm Cable Curls From High Pulley-One BIg Super set/Drop set
50lbs Failure
40 Failure
40 Failure
20 Failure
20 Failure

Calves-One Large Super set
Leg Press-Toe Presses (This is all my current gym has for Calves, So I do what I can)

180lbs was on the sled today, I Alternated from two leg to single leg and from toes positioned neutral, out and in. Calved ended very pumped, burning, and sore.

End of workout. I had a much better workout today on rage, than my leg workout yesterday without it. I am afraid the extreme conditions outside are really inhibiting any real gains for me right now. The heat and humidity are making me retain water like crazy, so I have no definition and vascularity right now.

ionicrod
06-11-11, 3:18 pm
Raged yesterday, it was my back workout. This is my first back workout to use rage. It went well. I was very rushed and had just 60 minutes to do an entire back, trap, rear delt, and tricep workout.

Pullover machine (new machine in gym, differe from the pullover machine i am used too, weright felt about the same)

80x25
100x20
120x15
140x12
160x10
160x8

Wide reverse grip pulldown

80x15
100x12
120x10
140x8
160x6

bentover row ( I am adjusting my form on this exercise, trying to figure what works for me best, and how fart to bend over)
*I did this twice...15 rep overhard, then another 15 underhand
95 15
115 12
135x10

single arm machine row
80xfailure
80xfailure
80xfailure
80xfailure

face pulls with lat bar
80x15
100x12
100x12
100x10

rack pulls (was out of time, did these fast, more like a big super set)
225x12
225x10
225x8

tricep cable extensions supersetted with tricep pushdowns

5 sets of each, with a rep range of 12-15, then each set was taken to failure after the first 2, because I did not stop longer than just a few second between exercises and sets.

did this so fast could not document weight, I had to go

Great workout, especially for the time I had.

Bruiser
06-12-11, 9:14 am
Nice numbers for a quick back day man. I've found that geting my grip just right on the bent BB row I can hit my rear delts at the same time as my back. This has added some nice roundness to my shoulders. How have your's been doing?

ionicrod
06-12-11, 1:51 pm
Nice numbers for a quick back day man. I've found that geting my grip just right on the bent BB row I can hit my rear delts at the same time as my back. This has added some nice roundness to my shoulders. How have your's been doing?

I have dont bent bb rows almost the entire time I have been lifting, so for a little over 4.5 years. I started doing them with Arnold like form, then read how dorian did them and changed my style. Over all, I have never been real pleased with the results from any style I have done. (Tbar rows and plate loaded hammer row are what I feel are the most productive).

The wider my grip (over hand) and more bent over I am, I feel it more in the rear delts, traps, and rhomboids...or upper back.

When I go for underhad, and more upright, I feel it more in my lats.

I have just about quit doing bb rows as one my main 'mass builders.' I do them now, near the end of my work out, and stick with high reps.

ionicrod
06-20-11, 7:04 pm
Pullover machine

100x15
120x12
140x12
160x8

wide rev pulldowns

100x15
120x12
140x12
160x6

tbar rows

50x15
75x12
125x8
100x6

bent bb rows

95x12
115x8
115x6

machine rows single arm*

80lbs x12
80x12
80x10
80x6
80x6

lat bar face pulls

100x12
100x12
120x8
120x8

rack pulls, below knee (this rack does not go low..grrr, I was standing on a box with the rack in the lowest pin, and it still was not quit the depth I wanted)

135x15
225x12
275x8
315x6

singe arm db extenions

15x12
20x12
25x12
30x6

underhand single arm tricep cable pushdowns

40xfailure
40xfailure
40xfailure
40xfailur

Was a great workout. After 5 years, I am just now beginning to understand what I need to do for MY back.

ionicrod
06-22-11, 12:47 am
Warmed up with db sldl, and single leg sldl and some leg curls (the leg curl bench sucks at this gym, the reason I do no work sets with it)

Romanian Deadlifts: When I do these controlled, I am weaker than on SLDL

65lb x 15
95lb x 12
145lb x 12
165 x 10
185 x 10
205 x 10
215 x 10

SlDL

225 x 9
225 x 6

DB SLDL

65 x 12
70 x 10

* Looking back, I should have made myself do two more work sets here.

Leg Press-Feet Wide and High for hamstring/glute emphasis

180 x 15
180 x 15
180x failure

Leg Press Toe Press

Gian set, toes pointed in, out and regular each stance to failure ( did this twice)

Then some Nice extreme stretching...it felt good.

I felt a lot stronger this workout, and my stamina was great. I am not focusing on a lot of low reps or single reps right now, so I am not sure about max effort strength but my repeated effort strength has definitely increased.

ionicrod
06-25-11, 3:41 pm
Arm workout today.

warmed up, etc

Close grip flat bench press
45x15
95x15
115x12
135x12
145x10

single arm incline bench db extension
15x15
20x12
25x10
30x8

v bar pushdowns

80x15
110x12
110x10

straight bar curls
45x15
55x12
60x10
60x8

hammer curls to chest
25x12
30x10
30x8

cable curls
80x10
80x 10

cable crossover station curls

40xfailure
40xfailure
40xfailure

Not sure if I hit any PRs so to say. I was stronger than I expected I would be on the close grip press though.

ionicrod
06-29-11, 1:41 pm
Pullover machine

120x15
140x12
170x10
190x5

Wide underhand pulldowns
100x15
130x12
160x6

Overhand bb row

90x15
115x12
145x12
185x8

Tbar row

50x15
75x12
100x12
125x10
140x6

lat bar face pulls
110x12
110x10
110x8

bent cable laterals
20x10
20x10
20x8

high pin rack pulls

145x15
225x12
275x10
315x8

ionicrod
06-29-11, 2:13 pm
Pullover machine

120x15
140x12
170x10
190x5

Wide underhand pulldowns
100x15
130x12
160x6

Overhand bb row

90x15
115x12
145x12
185x8

Tbar row

50x15
75x12
100x12
125x10
140x6

lat bar face pulls
110x12
110x10
110x8

bent cable laterals
20x10
20x10
20x8

high pin rack pulls

145x15
225x12
275x10
315x8

There were a lot of new numbers in this workout. On every exercise. It was my best back workout since starting rage. I have learned though....there is not room for other stimulant in my system when on rage. I take animal cuts, and I can not stomach both. It took about 5 occasions, but I finally learned this. Tore my stomach up...

ionicrod
07-07-11, 3:21 pm
Took the rage at a different time for this workout. Took it upon entering the gym, so took the shot, then started warming up and lifting.

Okay, Quad workout

Zercher Squat

95x15
115x12
135x10
155x10
165x10
175x10
185x10
225x1
185x7
dropset
165x6
dropset
145x5

Leg Press
180x15
270x12
360x12
450x8
450x7

and done.

Great workout. From my findings, it seems Rage is most helpful in prolonging a workout, adding more sets and exercises. So, since I love volume, Rage is of great benefit to me.

ionicrod
07-10-11, 8:12 pm
Did deadlifts today.

Just was not feeling it today.

deadlifts

135x10
185x10
225x10
275x5
315x2
335x1

these were not good numbers for me. I was very disappointed. I am used to hitting 350-370 for a single.

ionicrod
11-11-11, 4:07 pm
I want to sum up my use of this project. I have hit nothing but PRs with my use of this product. This has been my favorite pre workout poweder I have ever used. It does not make me fell sick and it adds extra sets and rep when ever I use this product. Animal Rage comes with my highest recommendations. For what that is worth.

ionicrod
04-26-13, 10:13 pm
I wanted to update this log. Rage is STILL my go to pre workout powder. Since running this log, almost two years ago I have only made room for ONE other pre workout. Shock Therapy.

People ask me what pre workout supplement I take, I say if I want raw energy, Rage or if I want more of a pump and do not need energy I say Shock Therapy.

Thank you Animal for making such quality products. I have not been tempted to try any other brand or product. I would be afraid too because I treat every workout as something special that I can not take back and if I ruin it with some other branded crappy supplement, I could not forgive myself.

Jay
06-25-13, 12:02 pm
I do the same thing and rotate between Rage and Shock Therapy. Can't beat em.

J-Dawg
06-25-13, 12:30 pm
I do the same thing and rotate between Rage and Shock Therapy. Can't beat em.

x2. I do the same thing. One days that I'm going for a big lift, I do Rage. On days where I'm hitting a moderate weight or reps, I go with Shock Therapy!