PDA

View Full Version : Appollonian's Bench Press PR push through with PROMO

Appollonian
04-21-11, 4:40 pm
New Rage log using the promotional prize from the thread here http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?35867-PROMO-Animal-Rage-Sets-The-Bar-For-Your-Next-PR .

My current lift that I've recently had some success with after years of trying is the bench press.

My goal is to get stronger both in absolute (higher weight moved) and endurance (same weight more reps). As a gym enthusiast my goal is to do more, but as an engineer, I have to quantify it.

Right now at a body weight of 212 (or so) pounds at 6'4" I can bench 225 for 3 reps. I've tried 235 but it was a non-starter. My goal is to get 225 for 6 reps and to cleanly get off 245 pounds for 1 solid rep. To some this may seem like a lot, to others not so much, but by looking at the numbers I feel it's a stretch target, and that's what we should all be going for.

I really feel like most of my issue with reaching my goal will be a nervous system block and that once I'm used to moving heavier weights, my goal will be easier to achieve. If I hit my goal early I will adjust and move more, but there is no plan for failure.

I'm actually trying to firm up right now, but I'll add some calories to ensure I'm fired up and ready to go for the duration of this log.

With 4 workouts per week, and 44 servings, the jug should last about 11 weeks. If I can start next week, the week of 4/25/2011, that will mean I have until the week of 7/18/2011 (I will be taking the 4th of July week off from lifting) to reach my goal.

Bruiser
04-22-11, 9:04 am
Good luck bro. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Did you choose the paks or powder? I chose the paks.

J-Dawg
04-22-11, 9:50 am
Bench has always been one of my weak points so I'm definitely curious to see how Rage helps ya out.

Appollonian
04-25-11, 8:11 am
Powder for me; I like the way the Universal powders taste.

I'm 6'4", so people always assume I'm some strong monster and that's not the case, yet. I hope to get there some day, but we all start somewhere. My plan is to keep getting stronger every week, and I think Rage will be an integral part in that plan. I don't lift for vanity, so that I can just say how strong I am; I lift so that I can live up to my potential and not what others say I can or cannot do.

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-11, 7:31 pm
Im in for this man. at 6'4'' you may need 2 scoops haha.

Appollonian
04-26-11, 1:14 pm
Im in for this man. at 6'4'' you may need 2 scoops haha.

Haha, I don't think I'm brave enough for that just yet... I'm fairly stim tolerant and maybe even a bit stim dependent at this point, but I'm thinking Rage will light me up enough and get me going.

I've never trained specifically with the goal of increasing my PR. I always try to out-due what I did the past couple of weeks/months/years workouts, in one way or another, but not specifcally a strength goal with a atarget.

I'm really looking forward to this change with an actual, measurable strength goal in mind, with people here to keep me accountable.

Bruiser
04-26-11, 3:45 pm
Haha, I don't think I'm brave enough for that just yet... I'm fairly stim tolerant and maybe even a bit stim dependent at this point, but I'm thinking Rage will light me up enough and get me going.

I've never trained specifically with the goal of increasing my PR. I always try to out-due what I did the past couple of weeks/months/years workouts, in one way or another, but not specifcally a strength goal with a atarget.

I'm really looking forward to this change with an actual, measurable strength goal in mind, with people here to keep me accountable.

Hey man, we're not just here to hold you accountable... we're here to support and motivate you as well. Good luck.

Stone_Ghost
04-26-11, 3:53 pm
Bro i hear ya, Im 6'4'' as well, it sucks at first but once ya start puttin on the lbs you look like a friggen animal. Im subbed for this for sure.

Appollonian
04-27-11, 10:49 am
4/26/2011 8 PM 50 minute workout

First back/chest workout in my PR push through. I really dig how the Animal Rage makes my lip tingle immediately after drinking it.

Got to the gym and had to walk around the indoor track for a couple minutes to clear my head from all the pollen that's making life a pain when I go outside. By the time I get under the bar, I could feel the full effects of Rage.

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 66 reps total (bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warump sets 20-40 reps per, 3 reps x 225 lb + 1 rep x 225 lb (30 sec rest), 1 (3/4) rep x 235 lb, 2 rep x 225 lb, 2 sets 10 reps per
Narrow Grip Chins: 2 sets 25 reps total (bodyweight)
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets 8 reps per
Wide Grip Pulldown: 3 sets 8-10 reps per
Dips: 3 sets 31 reps total (bodyweight)
Narrow Grip Cable Rows: 5 sets 10-15 reps per
Cable Fly: 3 sets 10-15 reps per
Roman Chair Crunches + twist for obliques: 3 sets 135 reps total

14 sets for back and 15 sets for chest is relatively high volume for me (normally in the 10-12 set range) but after I did the first two exercises I started supersetting between a chest and back exercise. The last 3 sets of back and bench press was about feeling the weight move and stretch my muscles fully every rep.

I was pleased to get 3 reps at 225 on the bench, and getting the 1 additional rep with a relatively short rest felt great. The 235 attempt started off good, but as I got close to the bottom 1/4 of the movement I felt like I might not get it up and without a spotter I stopped myself and put it back up. Being able to do another 2 reps at 225 with some rest was also good.

I usually have a training partner, but her availability for the next ~7 months will not be dependeble, and last night was one of the nights she couldn't make it. And since I was training later in the evening, there wasn't anyone near the benches who looked liked they would offer a good spot, so I went solo. I'm not sandbagging either: I've been in the situation with a bar on my chest or neck and having to hold out for 30-45 seconds for enough strength to return to muster the weight to the safety bars, but if I can avoid doing so I will.

1 serving oatmeal, dried figs, whey isolate 1 hr pre
1 serving Animal Rage + 3 gm creatine monohydrate 20 min pre
1 serving BCAA Stack Grape + 10 gm Orange Gatorade intra
1 serving whey isolate + 60 gm Orange Gatorade + 1 serving Blue Razz Strom 5 min post
Indian Chicken Masala and Italian Noodles and veggies post (home made with specialty sauce) 50 min post

Appollonian
04-27-11, 10:54 am
Hey man, we're not just here to hold you accountable... we're here to support and motivate you as well. Good luck.

Bruiser, all the support is more than appreciated. I wasn't saying you all were holding my feet to the fire, but more of a positive peer kind of situation, that's all.

Bruiser
04-27-11, 11:12 am
Bruiser, all the support is more than appreciated. I wasn't saying you all were holding my feet to the fire, but more of a positive peer kind of situation, that's all.

Don't get me wrong... we ARE holding your feet to the fire!! And I hope you guys do the same to me!! lol

Appollonian
04-28-11, 1:21 pm
Don't get me wrong... we ARE holding your feet to the fire!! And I hope you guys do the same to me!! lol

Good; wouldn't have it any other way.

Bruiser
04-29-11, 8:48 am
Good; wouldn't have it any other way.

Damn straight. If we're not here for eachother, no one else will be. Keep up the pace brother.

Appollonian
05-03-11, 10:53 am
5/3/2011 5 AM 35 minute workout

I'm still adjusting to trying to workout before work; I feel refreshed from sleep, but don't have the amount of nutrients already in my system from a full 3/4 of my day eating.

Thankfully allergies don't usually act up until around 8 AM, so felt good with a good Rage rush by workout time.

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 68 reps total (bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 20-40 reps per, 3 reps x 225 lb + 1 rep x 225 lb (30 sec rest), 1 full rep x 235 lb, 2 rep x 225 lb, 2 sets 10 reps per
Incline Smith Machine Press: 1 sets 12, Triple drop set
Wide Grip Pulldown: 1 set 11, Triple drop set
Dips: 3 sets 33 reps total (bodyweight)
Narrow Grip Cable Rows: 1 set 12, Triple Drop set
Cable Fly: Drop set
Roman Chair Crunches: 3 sets 150 reps total
Roman Chair oblique crunches: 20 strict reps per side

After wide grip chins and barbell bench, which are themselves slowly supersetted together, I finished the rest of the workout with super and/or drop sets, doing a similar volume to last week but in 15 minutes less time..

This week at 225 was a repeat of last week, but I got a good full rep from top to bottom and up again on the 235.

1 serving oatmeal, dried figs, whey isolate 40 minutes pre
1 serving BCAA Stack Grape + 10 gm Orange Gatorade intra
1 serving whey isolate + 60 gm Orange Gatorade + 1 serving Blue Razz Strom 5 min post + 12 oz skim milk* 20 min post
Breakfast of 1.75 servings oatmeal, 1 serving cereal, 16 oz milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp natural PB, 1 serving isolate 1 hr post

*Over the past 12 months or so I've had 12 oz of skim milk with my post-workout shake, I just forget to mention it last time. I put it in the freezer for 45-60 minutes so it makes a nice shake like consistency with the other ingredients.

Appollonian
05-10-11, 10:41 am
5/10/2011 5 AM 40 minute workout

Another AM workout; I'm really digging these as they open up my afternoons nicely.

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 65 reps total (bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 20-40 reps per, 4 reps x 225 lb, 1 full rep x 235 lb, 2 rep x 225 lb, 2 sets 8 - 10 reps per
Wide Grip Pulldown: Triple drop set
Dips: 2 sets 30 reps total (bodyweight)
Narrow Grip Cable Rows: 1 set 12, Triple Drop set
Inclinde Dumbbell Fly: 15 rest 10 reps
Roman Chair Crunches: 3 sets 135 reps total

This week at 225 I got 4 reps, which in itself is a personal best. Three weeks in and I'm from 3 to 4 reps, with a goal of 6 reps at 225 and 245 for a single, I've got a ways to go, but I have a plan. Next week I will get 4 reps, rest 30 seconds, then get another single. I'm also going to try another week or two at 235 before boosting to 240 lb.

1 serving oatmeal, 8 oz OJ*, whey isolate 40 minutes pre
10 gm Orange Gatorade + Animal Nitro** last 5 minutes of workout
1 serving whey isolate + 60 gm Orange Gatorade + 1 serving Blue Razz Strom 5 min post + 12 oz skim milk* 20 min post
Breakfast of 1.75 servings oatmeal, 1 serving cereal, 16 oz milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp natural PB, 1 serving isolate 1 hr post

*Second day taking orange juice with my oatmeal before working out. I would just drink 16 oz of OJ, but my stomach is very sensitive to the acid, so I need to eat oatmeal at the same time.

**Second day on Animal Nitro instead of the BCAA stack. I had no problem with taking pills in the middle of working out. I am a big fan of protein in general, and a huge fan of BCAA/EAA specifically and would take 3 - 4x as much as I do if the budget would allow.

Bruiser
05-11-11, 9:30 am
Nice benching. It's looking good and way to hit a PR. You'll reach your goals quick the ay you're pushing. Your stack and diet is looking pretty dialed in too. Love those aminos!

ghost
05-11-11, 9:39 am
subbed! solid benching and great single increase so far! Keep it up man!

Appollonian
05-11-11, 10:36 am
Nice benching. It's looking good and way to hit a PR. You'll reach your goals quick the ay you're pushing. Your stack and diet is looking pretty dialed in too. Love those aminos!

Thank you for keeping tabs. The goals I've set where what I thought were a realistic stretch targets (the catch phrases you learn in business...) I could achieve within the 'lifetime' of the promo Rage jug. If they are met before the jug is out, I will set newer goals.

subbed! solid benching and great single increase so far! Keep it up man!

Thanks for checking in. Each time I bench I'm almost suprised at myself.

I'm thankful for the opportunity afforded to me through this promo. Over the past eleven years that I've been lifting, I don't think I've ever made such increases in such a short period of time since before I hurt my shoulder in late 2002. I'm sure a lot of the increase is overcoming the fear that the shoulder injury has clouded over my subconcience, but part of progressing has been powering through the fear to unleash my true potential.

In regards to tracking progress I used to use 1 rep max calculators online to judge my strength, but with every lift I do that I've tested my actual 1 rep max, I find that at least for me the calculators are off. Again this could just my mind/central nervous system getting in the way, but let's take the bench for example. I could probably get 8-10 reps at 205 fresh, and with the equation 1 rep max = weight x 37/(36 - reps) I should be able to bench ~250 - 270 lbs. But bump it to 225, I can get out 4 reps, or a theoretical max of 245. In actuality, I'm sitting at 235 1 rep max with great effort. Has anyone else tried the calculators, then actually tried seeing how close/far off the number is from reality?

ghost
05-11-11, 10:40 am
the best calculator for testing your 1rm is actually doing a 1rm.

never rely on anything other than the actual movement in telling you what your max is

Appollonian
05-11-11, 1:27 pm
the best calculator for testing your 1rm is actually doing a 1rm.

never rely on anything other than the actual movement in telling you what your max is

I agree 100% with you about the accuracy of the calculation, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one...

I still use the calculator, but only to give me a good estimate as to what weight to try for my 1rm. If I start too heavy or light, I end up having to sit around for enough time to pass before trying, and I don't really have more than 40-50 minutes in the gym any given workout.

A little more about my shoulder injury: it was a dislocation/aggravation of my right shoulder that hurt acutely for a few weeks, but it became a nagging pain through most of college until about 2006. My presses and shoulder exercises barely progressed in those 4 years. I've progressed a fair amount in the last 5 years, but want to take it further, which is why I want to take a relative weakness of mine and push it to a strength.

Appollonian
05-16-11, 1:52 pm
Today was 'leg day', not part of this log normally as this is for my bench press push, but I wanted to share a brief thought anyhow.

I couldn't fall asleep last night until after 1 AM (I think), and in order to workout before my work shift starts, I have to be out of bed by 4 AM. Normally with just 3 hrs of sleep I would say no thank you, but I thought to myself that is a poor attitude. After getting up, ate my preworkout meal, and then gathered everything else I need for the day. I took my Rage + creatine shot, and within 5 minutes I felt great. When I made it to the gym by 4:55 AM, I felt like I had a full nights sleep. It's not just the caffiene, either: I drink/take more of that then I have any right to and a 300 mg cup of cofee would not hit me the same way Rage does, and I would know because I've tried in the past.

5/16/2011 4:55 AM 50 minute workout

Barbell squat: 2 warmup sets 20 reps per, 11 x 245, 12 x 225
Barbell Deadlift: 3 sets of 15 at 245 - I'll rest for 3-5 seconds between the last 2-3 reps, but I never set the weight down
Incline Leg Press: 3 sets of 15 - 17
Leg Extension: 1 set of 12, triple drop set
Seated Hamstring curl: 1 set of 12, triple drop set
Standing Machine Calf Raise: 4 sets 10-12 reps.
Seated Machine calf raises: 2 sets of 25
Reverse Crunches: 3 sets 90 reps total
Roman Chair Oblique Crunches: 40 reps per side
Machine Leg Press: Triple drop set
Lunge: 30 reps (bodyweight only at this point)

1 serving oatmeal, 8 oz OJ, whey isolate 40 minutes pre
10 gm Orange Gatorade + Animal Nitro last 5 minutes of workout
1 serving whey isolate + 60 gm sport drink mix + 1 serving Blue Razz Storm + 12 oz skim milk* 20 min post

I've gone heavier before on the squats (280 lb for 4 reps was the heaviest I have written down), but I'm really trying to force myself as low as I can go, just right where my knees start to hurt. I can't do too many sets as my back tends to tweak easily. Same for the deadlifts (325 lb for 8 reps was max), but I limit the weight there mostly just because of previous injuries. I've had recent injuries sideline me for a week, but one I had in college set me back 3 months of squats/deadlifts, so I try to be smart when it comes to incorporating these moves. I'm not trying to make excuses, just being real with my body.

Over the next few months I'd like to increase the squats and deadlifts, but watching out for my back. I really get a huge rush from these exercises and I feel that the hormones released from these exercises helps with overall body size/strength. I could be full of it, but I have read about in the past in passing, and all the people I know who are big and muscular typically have very powerful legs, too.

Appollonian
05-17-11, 7:51 am
5/17/2011 5:00 AM 45 minute workout

Another AM workout, good energy especially with Animal Rage

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 68 reps total (bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 20-40 reps per, 4 reps x 225 lb + 1 x 225 after 30 seconds rest, 1 full rep x 235 lb, 3 rep x 225 lb, 2 sets 6- 10 reps per
Narrow Grip Chins: 2 sets 27 reps total (bodyweight)
Narrow Grip Pulldown: 1 set 12, Triple drop set
Dips: 3 sets 42 reps total (bodyweight)
Bentover Barbell Rows: 3 sets 10 - 12 per
Inclinde Dumbbell Fly: 2 sets 26 reps total
Roman Chair Crunches: 3 sets 150 reps total
Low pulley 1 arm cable row: 1 set of 15
Broom Stick Twists: 145 reps

1 serving Animal Rage + 2 gm creatine monohydrate 20 min pre
10 gm sport drink mix + Animal Nitro last 5 minutes of workout
1 serving whey isolate + 60 gm sport drink mix + 1 serving Blue Razz Storm + 12 oz skim milk* 20 min post

This week at 225 I got 4 reps, and rested 30 sec and got 1 more with great effort. I felt a little more confident with the 235, and the second set of 225 I got 3 reps, so I think my nervous system might be coming up to speed. Still no spotters, but considering some of the people at my gym at 5 in the AM, it's quite OK.

Speaking of the people in the gym, a new 'class' has started recently that consists of a group of people who crowd around the gym floor doing cycles of 3-4 excercises, most of which can be done without a machine (e.g. pushups, crunches, curls, chins) but they take up a lot of real estate and got in my way multiple times. I don't want to sound like a whiner, but should I say something to the gym management?

Bruiser
05-17-11, 8:24 am
I lke the volume you're putting up for every workout bro. That's the way to grow big. As far as the gym crowd goes, try saying something to the person leading the "class" first. If that doesn't help then go to the management. Nobody likes when people go over their head, so if you go to management first, the person leading the class might be a dick to you no matter what he/she is told to do. So ask that person first. Just my opinion though. Good luck. Of course, you could always just start taking massive amounts of amino tablets before you go to the gym, the horrendous gas will clear out a nice comfortable space for you...

Appollonian
05-17-11, 10:08 am
I lke the volume you're putting up for every workout bro. That's the way to grow big. As far as the gym crowd goes, try saying something to the person leading the "class" first. If that doesn't help then go to the management. Nobody likes when people go over their head, so if you go to management first, the person leading the class might be a dick to you no matter what he/she is told to do. So ask that person first. Just my opinion though. Good luck. Of course, you could always just start taking massive amounts of amino tablets before you go to the gym, the horrendous gas will clear out a nice comfortable space for you...

Sometimes I feel like the volume is too high, but I'm really trying to hit all the muscles from every angle I can think of. I either do multiple sets supersetting betwen back and chest with little rest in between, or do forced reps, drop sets, forced again, then partials, then drop, etc. Anything less than 10-12 sets for my larger mucle groups (or equivalent through drop sets) and I just don't have the same soreness. The main exception to this is deadlifts in which 3-4 sets of this and some targeted hamstring curls and my hams and glutes are toasted.

Good point, I like to be to the point with people and not step on any toes, but I couldn't discern the leader from the class because I couldn't recognize him from the pics on the wall of all the trainers and teachers and . I think the pics are old, so that's the main issue. Next time I'll just ask them who is the class leader. The last time I had a situation like this I got someone I could ask questions in the gym and always gave me a good spot when I needed it, so I'm always open for communicating.

I already have gas issues, but so far I manage to get through working out without killing someone... lol!

Bruiser
05-17-11, 10:14 am
I already have gas issues, but so far I manage to get through working out without killing someone... lol!

Extra Aminos + Empty Gym = two birds, one stone

Appollonian
05-17-11, 1:36 pm
Extra Aminos + Empty Gym = two birds, one stone

Serious question here: I've been told that bad/excessive gas was associated with incompletely digested proteins, as well as other parts of the diet. Is this not true?

And to clarify even though I am doing bench press and wide grip chins supersets, I am doing the bench first then chins second, and resting before doing the bench again.

Appollonian
05-25-11, 9:50 am
5/24/2011 7:35 PM 50 minute workout

Sometimes my schedule allows for early morning workouts, but yesterday was not one of those days.

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 70 reps total (bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 5-40 reps per, 5 reps x 225 lb, 5 reps x 200, 5 reps x 190, 3 more sets 7 - 20 reps per
Bentover Barbell Row: 3 sets 10 - 11 reps per
Narrow Grip Pulldowns: 3 sets 10 - 12 reps per
Incline Smith Machine Press: 1 sets 13, Triple drop set
Dips: 3 sets 40 reps total (bodyweight)
Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets 11 - 13 per
Cable Fly: 2 sets 25 reps total
Roman Chair Crunches with twist for obliques: 3 sets 150 reps total

1 serving oatmeal, 8 oz OJ, whey isolate 60 minutes pre
1 serving Animal Rage + 2 gm creatine monohydrate 30 min pre
1 serving whey isolate + 60 gm sport drink mix + 1 serving Blue Razz Storm + 12 oz skim milk 20 min post
2x Barbeque Chicken Sandwhiches (6 oz boiled/shredded chicken breast, barbeque sauce, 2 whole wheat buns, 1/2 tbsp olive oil), 6 oz plain/salted corn, 1 medium apple
(yeah, I really dig carbs, but I actually consume less most days than I used to compared to 6 months ago)

This week at 225 I got 5 reps; if anyone in the gym at the time looked like they could've offered a good spot, I think I could've gotten a 6 rep with assistance at the bottom. I'm not saying I wouldn't trust the people their to save me from injury, but anytime any of those present that I've asked for a spot on past occasions have lifted far too much and didn't make me work on the last rep. Regardless, I think I'll reach my original goal and need to set a higher one soon.

Bruiser
05-25-11, 10:07 am
Serious question here: I've been told that bad/excessive gas was associated with incompletely digested proteins, as well as other parts of the diet. Is this not true?

Yes, but also your body has to work hard to break down tablets like Uni-Liver, etc. So gas is formed from the breaking down of tablets and from the aminos and proteins in the tablets. This is why gas is so bad when you take Uni-Liver and/or amino tablets.

Appollonian
05-25-11, 10:13 am
Yes, but also your body has to work hard to break down tablets like Uni-Liver, etc. So gas is formed from the breaking down of tablets and from the aminos and proteins in the tablets. This is why gas is so bad when you take Uni-Liver and/or amino tablets.

Ah, I see. I'm not arguing with your results, just had some questions. Thanks!

Also picked up a '77 yellow Universal T and got nods and looks. Put on my Military Green T before I went shopping afterwards, and more looks ensued... maybe it will get someone to look it up online and they can hopefully get inspired.

Bruiser
05-25-11, 10:20 am
Ah, I see. I'm not arguing with your results, just had some questions. Thanks!

Also picked up a '77 yellow Universal T and got nods and looks. Put on my Military Green T before I went shopping afterwards, and more looks ensued... maybe it will get someone to look it up online and they can hopefully get inspired.

No problem bro. That's what I'm here for.

I'll be getting my order from BB.com today. So I'll have my Military Green T shortly...

Appollonian
05-31-11, 8:37 am
5/31/2011 5:00 PM 50 minute workout

Bodyweight: about 210 lb

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 71 reps total (bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 5-40 reps per, 5 reps x 225 lb, 3 reps x 225, 3 reps x 205, 1 more sets 20 reps T Bar Row (just the barbell in a corner with a heavy dumbbell on it with a narrow grip pulldown handle): 4 sets 10 - 15 reps per
Incline Smith Machine Press: 4 sets 12
Narrow Grip Pulldowns: 1 sets 12 reps, Triple Drop Set
Dips: 3 sets 45 reps total (bodyweight)
Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets 11 - 12 per, drop down
Cable Fly: 3 sets 43 reps total
Roman Chair Crunches with twist for obliques: 3 sets 135 reps total

1 serving Animal Rage + 2 gm creatine monohydrate + M Stak (minus stim pill, will take with lunch) 30 min pre
1 serving whey isolate + 60 gm sport drink mix + 1 serving Blue Razz Storm + 12 oz skim milk 20 min post
Breakfast of 2.5 servings oatmeal*, 1 serving cereal, 16 oz milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp natural PB, 1 serving isolate, + 1 Animal Pak (I always have this with breakfast, just have forgot to mention it till now) 80 min post

This week at 225 I got 5 reps again, but it felt pretty good. Second set was 225 for 3 and it wasn't as strained as last time I tried this weight 2 sets is a row, and I'm not taking as long as breaks as the past month between sets.

I'm taking M-Stak at the moment, so accordingly my water and food intake has gone up to accomodate. I have never felt as strong as I do right now, so I might as well translate that into some long term gains of strength and solid mass.

My favorite gym in my hometown in Tennessee, and my college also, have awesome T bar machines and after doing workouts without doing t bars, I have to do some. If felt great this morning and I'm going to start doing it every other week or so; who cares about the stares I get. Maybe I can get someone else to jump on the wagon...

*I have been eating 2 - 2.5 servings of oatmeal at breakfast; the previous 1.75 was a miscalculation

smoothballer
05-31-11, 11:14 am
M-Stak and Rage must be a killer stack. Looking forward to running that down the line

Bruiser
05-31-11, 5:32 pm
That's a pretty serious looking push/pull day bro. I love the DIY T-Bar rows. I've been thinking of mocking up somthing like that in my gym/garage.

Appollonian
05-31-11, 5:56 pm
That's a pretty serious looking push/pull day bro. I love the DIY T-Bar rows. I've been thinking of mocking up somthing like that in my gym/garage.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I love the T bar rows, and nothing keeps me away from them. It would be an awesome setup addition to your arsenal.

My workout is a quick pace, and a lot of the 50 or so minutes comes from longer than normal breaks (2-3 minutes) while I am trying to get my bench press strength up. A lot of the sets are done super set with a back exercise, with maybe 30-45 seconds of rest total. I like to hit the muscles from every angle I can, and get a nice all over pump, which is pretty easy with chest, but harder for my long torso'd back, hence the extra beatdown.

Appollonian
05-31-11, 6:01 pm
M-Stak and Rage must be a killer stack. Looking forward to running that down the line

Oh yeah, on day 2 now and loving it. I can't wait till I tally the numbers up; all I know is I am more hungry and thirsty. I'm not even taking the stim cap at the same time as I take the Rage and I still feel it in the gym.

The way I see it is I am relatively lean at 210 but never been quite this strong, so I want to see where I can take this. I can always get shredded later, but I'd like to have some more meat on my bones first.

Bruiser
06-01-11, 8:26 am
Thanks for the encouraging words!

I love the T bar rows, and nothing keeps me away from them. It would be an awesome setup addition to your arsenal.

My workout is a quick pace, and a lot of the 50 or so minutes comes from longer than normal breaks (2-3 minutes) while I am trying to get my bench press strength up. A lot of the sets are done super set with a back exercise, with maybe 30-45 seconds of rest total. I like to hit the muscles from every angle I can, and get a nice all over pump, which is pretty easy with chest, but harder for my long torso'd back, hence the extra beatdown.

I have the same issue with the long torso. The upside to it is that I can put on quite a bit of fat during a bulk before it looks noticeable. And also for some reason it's not hard for my abs to really pop once I start a cut (I wonder if it's because of the length of the muscles).

Appollonian
06-06-11, 1:56 pm
Some thoughts on overall, mid to long term goals... this thread is specifically for my Rage PR push, but it's got me thinking about the long term of why I do what I do in the gym...

Long term I want to be larger than ~210 lb, which isn't that big for someone who is 6'4". I have a fast metabolism, so I know I have to eat quite a bit, and I'm not complaining about that in the slightest. My fear is more in my head.

My biggest problem with gaining is a fear of being big in a bad way. Back in college I hit 250, and I wasn't nearly strong then as I am now at 40 lb less; I was just fat. When I graduated in May 2006, I vowed to cut down and never be fat again. I ate 5 - 6 small meals a day, worked out, and run 4.25 mi, 4x a week. By December 2006, I was down to about 190 lb. I lost some strength, but overall it was a life changing event for me seeing how lean I could be for the first time in my life.

It took me some time to get my metabolism out of the basement, but it hums along faster than it has since I was 18. By Jan 2010 I got up to 230 lb, but was unhappy with the fat I put on. I was still fairly lean and looked much better at that weight than I did on my way down from 250. I cut down from this down to 210, again losing some strength but not as much as my first major drop in bodyweight. Over the last six months I've gone up and down month by month, and I'm now stronger at 210 than I was at 230, so I think I'm doing things right, but I think to really reach my goals I need to lossen up the restrictions.

I'm addicted not just to working out, but staying as lean as possible year round, which I know isn't conducive to maximum size/strength gains. I'm really trying now to see where I can take my body. My recent strength gains have me thinking that for too long I've focused more on maintaining a certain look that it's been holding me back.

As for actual goals, I'd like to add about 1.0 - 1.5 lb a month until I hit about 230. If I see that I'm gaining size but not strength, or my muscles are appearing washed out, I'll tighten the reigns in a bit and add cardio, but I'm going to try and prevent a 'freak-out' 6 month cut again. Once I hit 230, I'll reevaluate and move on.

Funky
06-06-11, 2:08 pm
Looks like you are getting close to your goal! Push through that goal so you can start another!! Good Work!

Appollonian
06-07-11, 8:16 am
6/7/2011 5:00 AM 50 minute workout

Bodyweight: about 212 lb

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 68 reps total (1st 2 sets with 10 lb weight + bodyweight, 3 and 4 bodyweight only)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 5-40 reps per, 5 reps x 225 lb, 1 rep x 240, 3 reps x 225 + 1 rep x 225 after rest 15 seconds, 3 more sets 12 - 13 reps
T Bar Row: 4 sets 12 - 13 reps per
Incline Dumbbell press: 3 sets 8 - 10
Narrow Grip Pulldowns: 1 sets 12 reps, Triple Drop Set
Machine Incline Press: 1 sets 12 reps, drop set
Seated Cable Row: 1 set of 12, Triple drop set
Cable Fly: 3 sets 34 reps total
Roman Chair Crunches with twist for obliques: 3 sets 144 reps total

1 serving Animal Rage + 2 gm creatine monohydrate + M Stak (minus stim pill, will take with lunch) 30 min pre
Breakfast of 2.5 servings oatmeal*, 1 serving cereal, 16 oz milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp natural PB, 1 serving isolate, + 1 Animal Pak 80 min post

This week at 225 I got 5 reps again, but it felt pretty good. My 240 lb was a max for me and felt pretty good coming down and touching my chest, but was an epic struggle without a spot. Second 225 lb set felt really good, and I think with a spot I could've gotten a 4th rep.

I tweaked my back yesterday doing standing calf raises*... I used poor form and stressed whichever muscles attach to the back of the ribcage. It mostly just hurt when I took a deep breath, but I rested it as much as possible all day yesterday, used a rice heating pad last night, and Tiger Balm last night and this morning. I got to the gym and was still tender, but about 10 minutes in I felt a nice satisfying 'pop' and I was golden after that. I don't know what it is about me and most injuries I sustain, but my recovery consists around a joint that feels more and more stiff/tender, and eventually it pops (the synovial fluid I guess it's called) and it feels great.

*I rarely injure myself doing an 'epic' exercise like squat, bench press, deadlift, military press but rather while stretching, skull crushers, etc. I'm sure that the calf raise machine was just the straw that broke the back, but it's still aggravating... on the other hand an injury from a squat or deadlift is much more devastating.

Bruiser
06-07-11, 8:36 am
Have you thought of going and seeing a chiropractor? I always thought is was bulls*** until nothing was working on my back pain and I was having to use a cane. Now I go 2-3 days a week. And I haven't even taken an ibuprofen in over six months.

Careful with the muscle pull. It sound like the seratus. It can be tricky. Once it's strained it doesn't take much to f*** it up real good. The last time I pulled mine (a couple weeks ago) I thought I was in the clear, until I sneezed. Damn that hurt. Keep alternating ice and heat.

Appollonian
06-07-11, 10:20 am
Have you thought of going and seeing a chiropractor? I always thought is was bulls*** until nothing was working on my back pain and I was having to use a cane. Now I go 2-3 days a week. And I haven't even taken an ibuprofen in over six months.

Careful with the muscle pull. It sound like the seratus. It can be tricky. Once it's strained it doesn't take much to f*** it up real good. The last time I pulled mine (a couple weeks ago) I thought I was in the clear, until I sneezed. Damn that hurt. Keep alternating ice and heat.

Right now the pain seems limited to certain movements and when breathing in and is localized under the lower portion of my lats, so I'm thinking exactly what you are thinking: serratus posterior superior.

Back in high school I pulled the serratus anterior and it hurt like something was stabbing me every time I took a breath in and my parents took me to the doctor at hospital (I would've resisted but I couldn't take more than 1/4 breaths). The nurse wasn't exactly schooled in sports medicine, but prescribed a muscle relaxer and pain killer. Normally I hate these things, but not being able to breath wasn't fun either. The pain killer did absolutely nothing, but the muscle relaxer allowed my muscles to chill out, and I was able to just lay low for a few days and felt better. Since then I've now pulled all three different groups, but nothing as severe as the first time.

Please don't think I'm disregarding your advice as it is much appreciated; I've had several friends that have had great experiences with seeing chiropractors with their back pain. It's just that with my schedule it's very hard to get time off regularly, especially since the injury is non work related, and my work hours run all over doctor's hours. I've had major pulls of what I'm assuming is a part of the erector spinae, and that hurt like mad for 2 weeks, and was off/on for about 5 - 6 months. If I ever experience pain like that again I will see a chiropractor, but for now I'm just going to work around the pain.

Bruiser
06-08-11, 9:00 am
How's it feeling today?

Funky
06-08-11, 9:01 am
That is a muscle that is very touchy once pulled real good take care of that one. Hope you are feeling better...

Appollonian
06-08-11, 10:32 am
Thanks for asking guys; if day one was a 6.5/10 in pain (after the workout adrenaline wore off), yesterday would've been a 5/10, and today a good 3 - 4/10. I hit up shoulders this morning, and with both military presses and barbell shrugs I felt great. Now it's really only when taking deep breaths do I feel the strain.

I hate to say it, but as I eluded to earlier, I've pulled each of the three serratus muscle groups once or twice now (seperate occurences). The worst pain by far for me is the front serratus group, but I haven't pulled those since college. The back set I've pulled twice in the past 36 months, with like Bruiser said it hurt when sneezing last time, but it's not nearly so bad this time. I've gotten to the point where I can change my routine enough to train around it, but I'm smart enough these days to back off from something if it stresses the muscles, e.g. the back exercises I did yesterday were more for full stretch in the reps as opposed to moving maximal weight.

Bruiser
06-08-11, 11:00 am
When I pulled mine a few weeks ago, I was gonna take the week off training my back. But by knee was tweaked just a little (getting old sucks) so I trained back and skipped legs that week. It turned out to be the best back session I've ever had. My seratus felt amazing afterwards and my back was pumped like never before. I think it was because I had a great mind/muscle connection from trying to be careful not to make the injury to the seratus worse. Since then I've been able to duplicate that pump pretty close. It turned out that the injury actually helped me get tuned in to my back muscles better.

Appollonian
06-13-11, 4:17 pm
6/13/2011 5:00 AM 45 minute workout

Another AM workout...

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 68 reps total (mixed added weight and bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 5-40 reps per, 5 reps x 225 lb, 6 sets 5 - 12 reps per
Bentover barbell row: 6 sets 10 - 12 reps per
Incline Machine Press: 4 sets 10 - 14 reps per
Narrow Grip Pulldown: 4 sets 9 - 12 reps per
Cable flys: 3 sets 12 - 15 per
Roman Chair crunches: 3 sets 150 reps total
Oblique crunches: 50 reps per side

Breakfast of 2.25 servings oatmeal, 1 serving cereal, 16 oz milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp natural PB, 1 serving isolate, 1 Animal Pak 1.5 hr post

I think today I hit a CNS wall; 185 on the bench felt like 225 from last week, and needless to say 225 was an effort. Going to take it a little easier the next few weeks and get some good sleep.

Visiting family for unfortunate circumstances... but going to catch up, eat big, and rest big.

Funky
06-20-11, 2:25 pm
6/13/2011 5:00 AM 45 minute workout

Another AM workout...

Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 5-40 reps per, 5 reps x 225 lb, 6 sets 5 - 12 reps per
Bentover barbell row: 6 sets 10 - 12 reps per
Incline Machine Press: 4 sets 10 - 14 reps per
Narrow Grip Pulldown: 4 sets 9 - 12 reps per
Roman Chair crunches: 3 sets 150 reps total
Oblique crunches: 50 reps per side

Breakfast of 2.25 servings oatmeal, 1 serving cereal, 16 oz milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp natural PB, 1 serving isolate, 1 Animal Pak 1.5 hr post

I think today I hit a CNS wall; 185 on the bench felt like 225 from last week, and needless to say 225 was an effort. Going to take it a little easier the next few weeks and get some good sleep.

Visiting family for unfortunate circumstances... but going to catch up, eat big, and rest big.

5 AM those are man hours right there LOL Good workout!

Bruiser
06-20-11, 2:40 pm
Going to take it a little easier the next few weeks and get some good sleep.

Sounds like a good plan. How's it going so far?

Appollonian
06-20-11, 3:00 pm
Sounds like a good plan. How's it going so far?

Mostly good, except that I realized too late that part of what I was abusing was that I am hitting my triceps to the point they can't even support my weight against a wall, then doing a few triple drop sets after that. To top it off I train arms Thursday or Friday, and chest on tueday... Either need to change my workout schedule, cut back on the tricep exclusive punishment, or a combination of the two.

This morning I felt awesome doing legs and really pushed hard, so no excuses tomorrow, just results.

Funky
06-20-11, 3:03 pm
Mostly good, except that I realized too late that part of what I was abusing was that I am hitting my triceps to the point they can't even support my weight against a wall, then doing a few triple drop sets after that. To top it off I train arms Thursday or Friday, and chest on tueday... Either need to change my workout schedule, cut back on the tricep exclusive punishment, or a combination of the two.

This morning I felt awesome doing legs and really pushed hard, so no excuses tomorrow, just results.

I do chest mon then wed arms so I get lots of days to recoup before chest again!

Appollonian
06-21-11, 11:34 am
I do chest mon then wed arms so I get lots of days to recoup before chest again!

Smart! Thankfully this morning was the first morning since last Friday that my triceps were not very sore. Not sure if this really helped or if it was more of a placebo, but I took a serving of BCAA stack in the morning and at bed time Sun and Mon; I figured my triceps were beat up and needed some extra TLC, so I gave it to them.

6/21/2011 5:00 AM 45 minute workout

Another AM workout...

Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 10-40, 5 x 225 lb + 1 x 225 lb after 20 sec rest, 4 sets 8 - 11 reps per
Bentover barbell row: 4 sets 10 - 14 reps per
Incline Smith Machine Press: 3 sets 10 - 11 reps per
Dip: 3 sets 45 reps total (bodyweight)
Narrow Grip Pulldown: 3 sets 10 - 12 reps per
Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets 10 - 15 reps per
Roman Chair crunches with twist: 3 sets 153 reps total

1.25 serving oatmeal, 10 oz OJ, whey isolate 40 minutes pre
15 gm sport drink mix + Animal Nitro last 5 minutes of workout

Felt better this week, with the weights not feeling like they were as heavy as they did last week. 5 reps at 225, racked it, then 1 more rep at 225 after 20 seconds rest. I did no drop sets this week and just did supersets with 20 seconds rest between each set (chest movement, 20 seconds, back movement, 20 seconds...) after the flat bench.

Funky
06-21-11, 11:38 am
I think you should be able to hit that 245 maybe even a 250. You going to attempt it soon? Your workouts look good!

Appollonian
06-21-11, 12:01 pm
I think you should be able to hit that 245 maybe even a 250. You going to attempt it soon? Your workouts look good!

When I hit 240 a few weeks back, I felt like a beast that day and probably could've hit 245 if I had tried that instead, but my last back/chest workout since was so so bench strength wise. I felt good today compared to last week, so if I feel better next week on the 225 them I did today (on a positive trend) then I'm going to put 250 on there for sure and make it happen; I don't want to yell put for a spot and be a tool...

I appreciate your words of encouragement, thank you.

Appollonian
06-23-11, 12:45 pm
Time for a little retrospection...

On the way home from work yesterday, I saw a car that was not moving about 5 car lengths from a busy intersection. I pulled into a bank nearby and sat and watched the situation for a few minutes. People honked, yelled, sped by, but nobody stopped to ask if they needed anything. I got out, found out they were a nice older Russian couple visiting their daughter and son-in-law, and their car just broke down, but the son-in-law was coming to help. I told them I'd push the car to the bank and they could wait there; the last thing I wanted was for someone texting on their phone to rear end them at 50 MPH. After pushing the car to the bank, they were very thankful. I made sure someone was coming before I left, but it got me thinking.

Why did nobody else help? How long had they been there? Sure safety is a concern, but are people not concerned for other peoples' safety, too?

6 years ago and I was in my college town (much smaller, but with some busy intersections, too). I was at a busy intersection, and a car that was driving in front of me stalled and came to a stop just in front of the intersection. Within 5 seconds, a car had pulled over and I joined them and we pushed the car out of the way.

Both times I tried to 'read' the people, and they just looked a bit down from their car breaking down, and neither time was it a bad part of town at all and in broad daylight. Why the difference? Many times in my current city I have witnessed people being rude/indifferent to eachother, whereas my college town people were overall nicer to other people.

I'm not bashing my current city, I just can't figure this one out... I try to live by the 'Treat others how you wish to be treated' motto, but that seems to be lost on some people...

...Anyhow, pushing a car (running really and up a slight hill at that) was a rush, especially since I was experiencing some DOMS from Monday's leg day.

Feeling strong in my workouts this week, so maybe next week I'm going to hit some PRs.

Funky
06-23-11, 1:01 pm
Time for a little retrospection...

On the way home from work yesterday, I saw a car that was not moving about 5 car lengths from a busy intersection. I pulled into a bank nearby and sat and watched the situation for a few minutes. People honked, yelled, sped by, but nobody stopped to ask if they needed anything. I got out, found out they were a nice older Russian couple visiting their daughter and son-in-law, and their car just broke down, but the son-in-law was coming to help. I told them I'd push the car to the bank and they could wait there; the last thing I wanted was for someone texting on their phone to rear end them at 50 MPH. After pushing the car to the bank, they were very thankful. I made sure someone was coming before I left, but it got me thinking.

Why did nobody else help? How long had they been there? Sure safety is a concern, but are people not concerned for other peoples' safety, too?

6 years ago and I was in my college town (much smaller, but with some busy intersections, too). I was at a busy intersection, and a car that was driving in front of me stalled and came to a stop just in front of the intersection. Within 5 seconds, a car had pulled over and I joined them and we pushed the car out of the way.

Both times I tried to 'read' the people, and they just looked a bit down from their car breaking down, and neither time was it a bad part of town at all and in broad daylight. Why the difference? Many times in my current city I have witnessed people being rude/indifferent to eachother, whereas my college town people were overall nicer to other people.

I'm not bashing my current city, I just can't figure this one out... I try to live by the 'Treat others how you wish to be treated' motto, but that seems to be lost on some people...

...Anyhow, pushing a car (running really and up a slight hill at that) was a rush, especially since I was experiencing some DOMS from Monday's leg day.

Feeling strong in my workouts this week, so maybe next week I'm going to hit some PRs.

There are good people out there but most people only think about themselves. You my friend are a breath of fresh air you just keep being you and watch as things will always come together right! Good luck on the PR's I hope you crush them!

Appollonian
06-23-11, 1:27 pm
There are good people out there but most people only think about themselves. You my friend are a breath of fresh air you just keep being you and watch as things will always come together right! Good luck on the PR's I hope you crush them!

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I'll make something happen next week for sure. The week after next I'll be on hiatus from weight sessions (I take a break 3 times a year), and then hope to hit even more PRs the 2nd week of July.

I'm not a saint, just doing what I can with what I've been given. Again thank you, it means a lot.

Phil800101
06-24-11, 4:21 am
How the hell did I miss this? I like what I see in here, subbed!

Good for you man, there's not enough of that attitude in this world these days it seems.

Appollonian
06-24-11, 7:36 am
How the hell did I miss this? I like what I see in here, subbed!

Good for you man, there's not enough of that attitude in this world these days it seems.

No worries... probably the same way I missed THIS (http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?35588-Phil-s-Rage-Log-(Clever-title-eh-))... lol.

Glad to have you aboard. As my promo tub comes to a close, I'm thinking about starting a new thread, but I've never been one to keep up with a 'journey' of my own...

smoothballer
06-24-11, 8:43 am
No worries... probably the same way I missed THIS (http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?35588-Phil-s-Rage-Log-(Clever-title-eh-))... lol.

Glad to have you aboard. As my promo tub comes to a close, I'm thinking about starting a new thread, but I've never been one to keep up with a 'journey' of my own...

Gotta have a journey for when you run 5/3/1 :)

Appollonian
06-27-11, 10:13 am
6/27/2011 5:10 AM 40 minute workout

WT: 213 lb*

Another AM workout...

Barbell Squat: 2 warmup sets, 12 x 245, 14 x 225
Barbell deadlift: warmup set, 10 x 315, 2 sets of 15
Giant Set/ (3 trips)
Barbell Squat: 10 - 12 per
Seated leg extension: 12 - 15 per
Seated hamstring curl: 12 - 15 per
Seated calf raise: 15 - 20 per
/Giant Set
Standing calf raises: 4 sets 10 - 12 per
Hanging Knee Raises: 3 sets 52 reps total
Broom twists: 165 reps total

Pre: Rage + Creatine Mono
Intra/Immediate Post: Gatorade + Nitro

I know this is my 'bench press PR', but I felt good about today.

The squat weight itself is something I've done before many times, but not as deep as I went today and not for as many reps. I've been focusing going deeper the past few months, and today I went real low and felt the weight from my hip flexor to where my quad attached near my knee.

Same for the deadlift as for with the squat, but I took teh weight to the ground controlled, and stood up all the way controlled.

*My scale seems accurate; I was at the doctor's office the other day, weighed myself there and at home 30 minutes later and got the same number, but my day to day number varies quite a bit. It seems to go when I'm gaining (or losing) that the first month or so it seems to do this up 2 down 3, up 4 down 1 business week, then slow but sure I'll add close to the rate I want, and adjust every couple of weeks. The first month or so is always a big mind ****, but I deal with it in due time.

Funky
06-27-11, 10:37 am
Gotta have a journey for when you run 5/3/1 :)

I am with Baller here get a journey for the 5/3/1 you will be glad you did! The PR's for reps are coming!

6/27/2011 5:10 AM 40 minute workout

WT: 213 lb*

Another AM workout...

Barbell Squat: 2 warmup sets, 12 x 245, 14 x 225
Barbell deadlift: warmup set, 10 x 315, 2 sets of 15
Giant Set/ (3 trips)
Barbell Squat: 10 - 12 per
Seated leg extension: 12 - 15 per
Seated hamstring curl: 12 - 15 per
Seated calf raise: 15 - 20 per
/Giant Set
Standing calf raises: 4 sets 10 - 12 per
Hanging Knee Raises: 3 sets 52 reps total
Broom twists: 165 reps total

I know this is my 'bench press PR', but I felt good about today.

The squat weight itself is something I've done before many times, but not as deep as I went today and not for as many reps. I've been focusing going deeper the past few months, and today I went real low and felt the weight from my hip flexor to where my quad attached near my knee.

Same for the deadlift as for with the squat, but I took teh weight to the ground controlled, and stood up all the way controlled.

*My scale seems accurate; I was at the doctor's office the other day, weighed myself there and at home 30 minutes later and got the same number, but my day to day number varies quite a bit. It seems to go when I'm gaining (or losing) that the first month or so it seems to do this up 2 down 3, up 4 down 1 business week, then slow but sure I'll add close to the rate I want, and adjust every couple of weeks. The first month or so is always a big mind ****, but I deal with it in due time.

Impressive workout brother!!

Appollonian
06-27-11, 1:47 pm
I am with Baller here get a journey for the 5/3/1 you will be glad you did! The PR's for reps are coming!

Impressive workout brother!!

Thanks for the encouraging words. The weight doesn't seem too impressive, but like I said I took it real deep. Previously knee/hip pain had been holding me back, but I've been doing stretches regularly the past few months (dynamic and static) and it actually felt good today instead of hurting. I think a few months at my 'reduced' weights for squats and I should be 20 - 40 pounds heavier, going the proper depth.

That goes inline with doing some more strength oriented training. I've been focusing on bench strength for the past few months, so after a few more weeks of trying for more strength, I'll probably do some volume work for a few weeks, but after that I'm going back into some more strength training.

Phil800101
06-27-11, 3:42 pm
Killer!

Appollonian
06-28-11, 8:52 am
6/28/2011 5:10 AM 40 minute workout

Another AM workout...

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 74 reps total (mixed added weight and bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 10-40 reps per, 6 reps x 225 lb,1* rep x 250 lb, 4 sets 5 - 10 reps per
Bentover barbell row: 3 sets 10 - 12
Incline Barbell Bench**: 2 sets 8 - 10
Incline Dumbbell Bench: 1 set 12
Narrow Grip Chin: 3 sets 10 - 12 (bodyweight)
Narrow Grip pulldown: 4 sets 10
Cable flys: 3 sets 10
Roman Chair crunches with twist alternating: 3 sets 162 reps total

Finally: 225 for 6 reps. I think a combination of slightly lighter weights/lower volume last week for shoulders/triceps paid off this week. I felt great, with the first 4 reps coming with ease. Five was work, and 6 was a struggle.

250 attempt felt good, but didn't get the full ROM. Next time it's mine.

*So the rep wasn't perfect; I pysched myself and stopped maybe an inch from my chest... damn... closer to 0.9
**Tweaked my left shoulder and had the safeties too low... ended up chilling with the weight on my chest for about 30 seconds until a dude who was doing a set could help me. I could've yelled for help, but didn't want to mess his set up. This is the first time in my life doing something like this... burns me up that I was that stupid. My joints are so flexible and I extend myself too far and I do crap like this. It wasn't like the time in college, and I think I'll recover quickly; it really is just tender as opposed to blazing pain like last time.

Funky
06-28-11, 8:57 am
6/28/2011 5:10 AM 40 minute workout

Another AM workout...

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 74 reps total (mixed added weight and bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 10-40 reps per, 6 reps x 225 lb,1* rep x 250 lb, 4 sets 5 - 10 reps per
Bentover barbell row: 3 sets 10 - 12
Incline Barbell Bench**: 2 sets 8 - 10
Incline Dumbbell Bench: 1 set 12
Narrow Grip pulldown: 4 sets 10
Cable flys: 3 sets 10
Roman Chair crunches with twist alternating: 3 sets 162 reps total

Finally: 225 for 6 reps. I think a combination of slightly lighter weights/lower volume last week for shoulders/triceps paid off this week. I felt great, with the first 4 reps coming with ease. Five was work, and 6 was a struggle.

250 attempt felt good, but didn't get the full ROM. Next time it's mine.

*So the rep wasn't perfect; I pysched myself and stopped maybe an inch from my chest... damn... closer to 0.9
**Tweaked my left shoulder and had the safeties too low... ended up chilling with the weight on my chest for about 30 seconds until a dude who was doing a set could help me. I could've yelled for help, but didn't want to mess his set up. This is the first time in my life doing something like this... burns me up that I was that stupid. My joints are so flexible and I extend myself too far and I do crap like this. It wasn't like the time in college, and I think I'll recover quickly; it really is just tender as opposed to blazing pain like last time.

Careful with that shoulder bro! Great job on the 225x6 and the 250x1 .9 inch from chest counts in the gym, next time you will get it off the chest! Great job man!

Appollonian
06-28-11, 11:30 am
Careful with that shoulder bro! Great job on the 225x6 and the 250x1 .9 inch from chest counts in the gym, next time you will get it off the chest! Great job man!

Man... English is not my forte sometimes. I was meaning this:

*So the rep wasn't perfect; I pysched myself and stopped maybe an inch from my chest... damn... closer to 0.9 of a rep

My knees and shoulders have a lot of natural flexibility to them, and I just pushed too far up, and felt a slight twinge in my shoulder. That wasn't really the killer for my shoulder though; I thought the safeties were high enough, so I really wanted to get an 11 rep, so I brought the weight down, but the combination of fatigue and the shoulder tweak, I couldn't rack the weight. I was confident in the safeties, brought the weight down, but one of the safeties WOULDN'T HOLD and slipped down (I think it just won't hold at that setting, every other setting was OK, so that's been noted in my log and staff notified) so that one side was JUST high enough not to crush me, and the other side was a half inch too low. The epic push I tried with the weight on my chest was what realy did my left shoulder in. Thankfully the guy was there to give me a hand.

I know myself and check my ego at the door and every other time I warmup with just the bar and make sure the safeties are in place and working and with the bar down I will be OK: the one time I don't I get myself in trouble. Leason learned right there.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm excited to be making gains in terms of strength and size and looking forward to where I can take this.

Phil800101
06-28-11, 2:27 pm
Solid! That 250 is yours for the taking bro.

Appollonian
06-28-11, 2:39 pm
Solid! That 250 is yours for the taking bro.

Thanks bro! I'm going to nurse my shoulder for the next few days and evaluate. If all things are 'go' next week, I won't try to rep out with 225 and instead warmup nice and slow and go for the 250. I'll try for 225 after that.

Appollonian
06-29-11, 1:26 pm
Woke up today for shoulder/trap/cardio day in the gym this morning with my left shoulder feeling less than good. I figured I would still go, do abs and run, but I did 10 sets of superstrict lateral dumbbell raises superset with strict barbell shrugs. In between the movements, I did some light rotator cuff work.

After the work out my shoulder felt immensely better, and not just from the post workout/cardio adrenaline release; hours later it still feels great. I may have to make next week more of a controlled movement week, but I still think within a few weeks I'll be hitting chest for 250.

Phil800101
06-29-11, 1:40 pm
Good deal!

Bruiser
06-29-11, 2:51 pm
Woke up today for shoulder/trap/cardio day in the gym this morning with my left shoulder feeling less than good. I figured I would still go, do abs and run, but I did 10 sets of superstrict lateral dumbbell raises superset with strict barbell shrugs. In between the movements, I did some light rotator cuff work.

After the work out my shoulder felt immensely better, and not just from the post workout/cardio adrenaline release; hours later it still feels great. I may have to make next week more of a controlled movement week, but I still think within a few weeks I'll be hitting chest for 250.

You'll hit that 250 just fine. I did the same thing today and warmed up with too many reps and didn't hit what I could for weight. Next time just warm up and don't rep the 225 too much and I think you'll nail it. Good luck bro.

Appollonian
06-30-11, 9:34 am
You'll hit that 250 just fine. I did the same thing today and warmed up with too many reps and didn't hit what I could for weight. Next time just warm up and don't rep the 225 too much and I think you'll nail it. Good luck bro.

I like repping out, then trying to hit my max all in one workout, and usually it doesn't work both ways.

Today I did 11 super sets of dips focusing on slow movements really using the triceps super set with barbell bicep curl with light weight and strict movements. Shoulder didn't hurt once. I had a good pump, and despite being less than maximal weight, it was still a good workout.

With three days of rest coming up, I think my shoulder may be OK for next week.

Appollonian
07-05-11, 11:04 pm
7/5/2011 5:15 PM 50 minute workout

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 75 reps total (mixed added weight and bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 5-40 reps per, 1 reps x 250 lb, 4 sets 8 - 14 reps per
T-bar row: 4 sets 10 - 15
Incline Dumbbell Bench: 3 sets 10 - 13
Seated cable row: 4 sets 12 - 15
Incline Dumbbell Flys: 3 sets 10 - 12
Roman Chair crunches with twist alternating: 4 sets 220 reps total

I started feeling under the weather this morning; I think my nephew gave it to me. I knew he had a little cold, but I'm not going to say no to picking him up and playing with him, so what doesn't kill me will make me stronger.

I went to the gym determined to do give it my all. I was in a hurry, so I took the Rage + Creatine by putting it in a shot glass, poured it in my mouth, then washed it down with a little bit of water. I must say it's actually a nice way of doing it, but I'll probably stick to my regular method. I got to the gym, warmed up nice and slow, and set my music volume to 50% instead of the normal 90% to account for the headache, and powered through one of the best workouts I've ever had.

I did 250 lb without tiring myself out with 225 this time, and the result was amazing. Full range from the top, to touching my chest, to locking it out again. If I had a spot, I probably would've done a forced rep, but I cannot complain. Despite multiple injury re-tweaks I'm still training around, I was able to power through.

This ends my 11 week Rage promotional period (11 weeks by 4 servings per week = 44 servings). This was also my first time intentionally trying to bring a specific lift up, and I've learned a lot about myself in the process. Thank you for all that checked in during my short journey and reading my ramblings.

Thank you Animal/Universal Nutrition for the chance to try out this great product and share my thoughts on it. I set goals in the end that I thought were reachable but a stretch. I'm still feeling I haven't nearly hit my limit, so I'm off to formulate my new plan of attack.

As for Rage itself, I'm hooked. From the BA9/caffeine tingle, to the energy rush 5 minutes later, and the sustained push throughout the workout, it's a great product that felt as good today as it did 11 weeks ago. I'll spread the word to those that are looking for a leg up in the gym.

Funky
07-06-11, 8:23 am
7/5/2011 5:15 PM 50 minute workout

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 75 reps total (mixed added weight and bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 5-40 reps per, 1 reps x 250 lb, 4 sets 8 - 14 reps per
T-bar row: 4 sets 10 - 15
Incline Dumbbell Bench: 3 sets 10 - 13
Seated cable row: 4 sets 12 - 15
Incline Dumbbell Flys: 3 sets 10 - 12
Roman Chair crunches with twist alternating: 4 sets 220 reps total

I started feeling under the weather this morning; I think my nephew gave it to me. I knew he had a little cold, but I'm not going to say no to picking him up and playing with him, so what doesn't kill me will make me stronger.

I went to the gym determined to do give it my all. I was in a hurry, so I took the Rage + Creatine by putting it in a shot glass, poured it in my mouth, then washed it down with a little bit of water. I must say it's actually a nice way of doing it, but I'll probably stick to my regular method. I got to the gym, warmed up nice and slow, and set my music volume to 50% instead of the normal 90% to account for the headache, and powered through one of the best workouts I've ever had.

I did 250 lb without tiring myself out with 225 this time, and the result was amazing. Full range from the top, to touching my chest, to locking it out again. If I had a spot, I probably would've done a forced rep, but I cannot complain. Despite multiple injury re-tweaks I'm still training around, I was able to power through.

This ends my 11 week Rage promotional period (11 weeks by 4 servings per week = 44 servings). This was also my first time intentionally trying to bring a specific lift up, and I've learned a lot about myself in the process. Thank you for all that checked in during my short journey and reading my ramblings.

Thank you Animal/Universal Nutrition for the chance to try out this great product and share my thoughts on it. I set goals in the end that I thought were reachable but a stretch. I'm still feeling I haven't nearly hit my limit, so I'm off to formulate my new plan of attack.

As for Rage itself, I'm hooked. From the BA9/caffeine tingle, to the energy rush 5 minutes later, and the sustained push throughout the workout, it's a great product that felt as good today as it did 11 weeks ago. I'll spread the word to those that are looking for a leg up in the gym.

congrats on the PR my man! I knew you could do it!!

Appollonian
07-06-11, 10:18 am
congrats on the PR my man! I knew you could do it!!

Thanks man, it felt great. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Bruiser
07-06-11, 12:22 pm
Congrats on the PR. Now on to the next one! I'm feel the opposite when it comes to Rage's BA-9 tingle. That's the one thing I really don't like about it. But the reason is I've got Fibromyalgia and my skin gets real sensitive at times, so the tingles can feel like I'm getting tattooed by some rookie scratcher with too much needle out. Sucks.

Appollonian
07-06-11, 12:30 pm
Congrats on the PR. Now on to the next one! I'm feel the opposite when it comes to Rage's BA-9 tingle. That's the one thing I really don't like about it. But the reason is I've got Fibromyalgia and my skin gets real sensitive at times, so the tingles can feel like I'm getting tattooed by some rookie scratcher with too much needle out. Sucks.

Thanks for the words, bro.

I don't have fibromyalgia so I can't say I know how you feel, but respect how you still kill it in the gym regardless.

Doing the shot in the mouth method the mouth/lip tingles were absent, but then I still felt them elsewhere. I guess you either stay with your caps, or not at all.

Phil800101
07-07-11, 3:26 pm
Strong! Congrats on the PR bro.

Appollonian
07-07-11, 6:50 pm
Strong! Congrats on the PR bro.

Thanks Phil, this is just the start of my journey to getting stronger, and I appreciate all the support all along the way.

Got to train shoulders/traps with my older bro last night. It was the best shoulder/trap workout I've had in years, despite being under the weather. He gave me pointers on form for every exercise we saw in the gym that I had questions on, which was great.

Now I'm going to formulate my attack plan going forward to make things keep happening.

Necromatrix
07-14-11, 7:50 pm
Thanks for stopping by my journey.

Some solid work goin' down in here. Huge congrats on hitting 225 X 6 and 250! Lookin' forward to seeing what's next. Kill it!

Appollonian
07-14-11, 9:29 pm
Thanks for stopping by my journey.

Some solid work goin' down in here. Huge congrats on hitting 225 X 6 and 250! Lookin' forward to seeing what's next. Kill it!

Thanks for stopping by bro. I wish I could follow more people's stories, but I'm time crunched right now.

Hitting the bench and over all lifts of all kinds PRs the last couple weeks, I got a head cold that zapped me of energy. My lifts this week were far weaker, but it got me thinking about the rhythms of up and down my body goes through and work with it instead of just lifting heavier and heavier and not listening to what my body is screaming at me.

After a few weeks of feeling strong/not under the weather I'm going to embark on another strength up-tick. Just cause I'm not posting in here doesn't mean I'm not hitting the iron, just haven't decided to do a journey of my own or not.