PDA

View Full Version : Oh, brother I have uneven biceps!

Gemini
04-23-11, 9:39 pm
Ok guys I have a major problem and I cant fix it yet. Ive noticed my biceps are noticably uneven. My right arm bicep has very high peak when you look at it from the mirror curled. As well as posing my arm inward and having the outside of my arm curled it has height as well. But my left bicep has alot less peak when curled in the same mirror. Espeically noticed when facing the mirror and I curl both arms and see my right arm bicep is alot more peaked. Are there any tips to fix this issue? How should I go about solving this uneven issue fellas? Any advice is needed and welcome! All ive been doing is an extra 4 sets of concentration curls for the past 3 weeks and not seen anything actually. Instead of doing both arms i skip my right arm and do my left arm. Im not even sure if thats the correct idea. Any help to develop an even peak is much needed. Thanks guys!

Carrnage
04-23-11, 10:07 pm
Re-evaluate your form on all your lifts, not just your bicep exercises. Use strict form, with atleast a 2 second negative, and keep training both arms hard, overtime once your arms are around 18-20 inches it will be hard to tell if they are unbalanced at first sight.

Thats really the best advice i can give ya! Oh and ps....isolating a muscle wont do you crap.

zubda345
04-23-11, 11:30 pm
Re-evaluate your form on all your lifts, not just your bicep exercises. Use strict form, with atleast a 2 second negative, and keep training both arms hard, overtime once your arms are around 18-20 inches it will be hard to tell if they are unbalanced at first sight.

Thats really the best advice i can give ya! Oh and ps....isolating a muscle wont do you crap.

Carrnage, Don't U think it could be genetics??? I had uneven but now there's only a minor difference which can't be suppoted easily....

Carrnage
04-24-11, 1:34 am
Carrnage, Don't U think it could be genetics??? I had uneven but now there's only a minor difference which can't be suppoted easily....

Thats basically what i meant, it could be genetics. Yes. For example everything on my left side is bigger than the right, and the left side of my face is slightly different than my right. No lie, its freaky!

zubda345
04-24-11, 10:24 am
Hmmmm, Genes do strange things... Many body parts are not identical.... My left calve is better than my right But both are too small...

I also read some where that If U have shitty genetics Ur calves will grow tooo slow! is that true??? and so far I haven't seen any good improvement in then I have not tried donkey calve raise cause I don't know how to do them without any equipment... Any help??

Aggression
04-24-11, 10:53 am
Everyone's body parts aren't identical. My left bicep is bigger, stronger, and has more shape compared to my right bicep, and I'm right handed! Nobody in the world is going to have both biceps that are exactly identical. You can always see minor differences in your own physique, but maybe it'd be a good idea to ask a friend. Just throw a front double bicep and ask him to critique. If he see's nothing, then you're fine. But if its that noticeable, then start utilizing more isolation/one-armed bicep movements.

Start the workout with alternating dumbbell curls, or single arm machine curls. After 2 exercises like that, then move onto a compound movement like barbell curls.

Gemini
04-24-11, 12:29 pm
Everyone's body parts aren't identical. My left bicep is bigger, stronger, and has more shape compared to my right bicep, and I'm right handed! Nobody in the world is going to have both biceps that are exactly identical. You can always see minor differences in your own physique, but maybe it'd be a good idea to ask a friend. Just throw a front double bicep and ask him to critique. If he see's nothing, then you're fine. But if its that noticeable, then start utilizing more isolation/one-armed bicep movements.

Start the workout with alternating dumbbell curls, or single arm machine curls. After 2 exercises like that, then move onto a compound movement like barbell curls.

Alright the only thing is my left bicep has no peak at all. Thats the problem. My right bicep has some very good peak to it and its significantly noticable, especially to me. No one has yet to point it out to me which is good for my ego I guess. Now I feel my left arm is also slightly weeker than my right arm. With that being said I took a rough measurement of my arms while flexed and came up with the about the same number of 14.5" inches. Now I used a meatal measuring tape so thats not acurate im going to have to use a piece of string and then measure the string. But what im getting to is if they are the same overall length but one bicep has peak and the other does not. Wouldnt the issue be one bicep is worked out more then the other? I cant exactly explain what im trying to say but my right arm if im correct has a larger inner bicep then outer. My left arm has a larger outer bicep then a inner bicep. So it compensates and effictivly gives me the same circumferance but they are just not trained evenly? If that even makes sense, or is possible. There really is abosolutley no peek at all in my left arm. The past 3 weeks however in the concentration curls on my left arm only created a small bump which to me is indicating it is indeed my left inner bicep thats not trained enough to give it peek like my right arm.

Now Idont remeber because I confuse my self easily sometimes but the inner (smaller) bicep does create the peak and the outer (larger, longer) bicep is more size? Not exactly sure celerifcation would be awesome from someone. Also when they say inner bicep that would truly be the inner bicep closest to my chest? Its exactly how the name implies? Im just trying to see if its form that is causing this issue or just because im right arm dominant thats affectiving it? Id like to mention which might be important to say that before I start lifting my right bicep was larger than my left bicep to begin with. Its only grown larger. They have grown together but just still my right arm is now noticbly larger with espcially in peek. Any sugguestions, advice, critique, criticism are needed. Thanks guys.

I did quote the wrong person on accident I believe its Carnage I wanted to quote about critiquing my forms and exercises and such. But heres an example of my routine so maybe you can critquie it and give me an idea of how to improve it to correct the imbalances.

Warm up*** a few pull ups then a few light weight BB curls

Wide Grip BB Curls - 4 Sets @ 6-8, 6-8. 6-8, 6-8
Close Grip BB Curls - 4 Sets @ 6-8, 6-8. 6-8, 6-8
Standing BB Body Drag Curl - 4 Sets @ 10, 10, 10, 10
Incline Bench Alternating DB Curls - 4 Sets @ 10, 10, 10, 10
EZ-Bar Preacher Bench Curls - 4 Sets @ 12, 12, 12, 12

Thats my heavy day when I do Biceps, triceps together,

Here is my lighter day because I workout my shoulders and Biceps on this day. Each body part is done twice a week
This is on the day I workout my shoulders and Biceps, no triceps or anything. I pair my triceps again on a different day with the bench press. Btw Sunday is ALWAYS my rest day.

Biceps and shoulder day:

Wide Grip BB Curls - 3 Sets @ 6-8, 6-8, 6-8
Close Grip BB Curls - 3 Sets @ 6-8, 6-8, 6-8
Standing BB Body Drag Curl - 3 Sets @ 8-10, 8-10, 8-10
Incline Bench Alternating DB Curls - 2 Sets @ 10, 10
Concetration Curls - 2 Sets @ 10, 10
Reverse Grip EZ-Bar Preacher Curls - 2 Sets @ 12, 12

Its a lighter load since doing my shoulders effectivly works out my biceps secondary to the primary target of shoulders.

Any advice on this workout routine and if its overkill or not? Just any tips to correct the imbalance I have and maybe give me advice on creating a more balanced arm routine. Thanks fellas.

P.S. why should I start with the alternating DB curls? I always was taught start with compound movements to get maximum load. Also what would you sugguest just 3 or 4 sets of Alteranting DB curls? Or just 2 sets? Little confused on what you mean by 2 exercises. Thanks, Aggression.

BarbellManiac
04-24-11, 12:51 pm
You don't need that much volume for arms, if you hit them hard with absolute failure, a couple sets from different exercises should do it. Coming back to the arm proportion topic, your breaking down muscle fibers, what are the chances that each arm will have the exact breakdown? Think about it, nothing in our body is completely proportional.

Back To Basics
04-24-11, 7:48 pm
Hmmmm, Genes do strange things... Many body parts are not identical.... My left calve is better than my right But both are too small...

I also read some where that If U have shitty genetics Ur calves will grow tooo slow! is that true??? and so far I haven't seen any good improvement in then I have not tried donkey calve raise cause I don't know how to do them without any equipment... Any help??

Zubda, stop hijacking every thread in this place and just ask guys on their journeys or Q/A.

Sprint
04-24-11, 8:23 pm
Anyway, before this thread starts turning into an unhelpful, shitty mess let's get back on track...

I'm exactly the same Agg, in terms of left bicep being more shaped & stronger. I also feel more comfortable technique-wise on lifts with my left (no x-rated jokes, before people jump in) & I'm right-handed.

If you look at a lot of pro bodybuilders on stage, a few of them do have 1 bicep peaking higher than the other. I'd suggest dumbell work, to ensure each bicep is getting the exact same thing as the other.

Gemini
04-24-11, 9:06 pm
Anyway, before this thread starts turning into an unhelpful, shitty mess let's get back on track...

I'm exactly the same Agg, in terms of left bicep being more shaped & stronger. I also feel more comfortable technique-wise on lifts with my left (no x-rated jokes, before people jump in) & I'm right-handed.

If you look at a lot of pro bodybuilders on stage, a few of them do have 1 bicep peaking higher than the other. I'd suggest dumbell work, to ensure each bicep is getting the exact same thing as the other.

Sprint, are there any good dumbbell exercises you would recomend to ensure a good workout to help with peak for the biceps?

Carrnage
04-24-11, 11:06 pm
Sprint, are there any good dumbbell exercises you would recomend to ensure a good workout to help with peak for the biceps?

Peak is genetic.

Carrnage
04-24-11, 11:07 pm
Zubda, stop hijacking every thread in this place and just ask guys on their journeys or Q/A.

Dont worry hes slowly getting smarter, soon enough Zubda will be loved by everyone! As soon as he stops using so much !!!!!!!!!!! and ???????? in his post lol.

Carrnage
04-24-11, 11:08 pm

Calves are a genetic bodypart, you either have big calves or you dont, but that being said, you can improve the size of your calves by training them superhard, squeezing, stretching,contracting, and getting a heavier bodyweight.

zubda345
04-25-11, 4:35 am

Dont worry hes slowly getting smarter, soon enough Zubda will be loved by everyone! As soon as he stops using so much !!!!!!!!!!! and ???????? in his post lol.

hahahahaha Thankx Carrnage... I hope I will be loved by all of u soon. :)

Calves are a genetic bodypart, you either have big calves or you dont, but that being said, you can improve the size of your calves by training them superhard, squeezing, stretching,contracting, and getting a heavier bodyweight.

ok I will try it today..

zubda345
04-25-11, 4:38 am
You don't need that much volume for arms, if you hit them hard with absolute failure, a couple sets from different exercises should do it.

And I think he's got a good point here... I also NOW think that training arms with too much volume is pointless, For some it's real good but for some its of no use. I have seen alot of guys with huge arms who do a lot of volume for arms and personally I have gained more arms without doing much volume...

BarbellManiac
04-25-11, 7:17 am
I like Dorian's philosophy on this, if you hit them with true failure, 1 set per exercise is good enough. Now true failure is for example, you do a set of barbell curls for 8 reps to failure, someone comes in and puts a gun on your head and says to do 2 more, will you do it? Hell yes, you still have a couple left in you, after that hit the negative part (which you should be emphasizing hard on for each rep) for a couple reps, when you feel your arms will fall off, and cant even do a negative, then your done!

Bruiser
04-25-11, 7:30 am
I like Dorian's philosophy on this, if you hit them with true failure, 1 set per exercise is good enough. Now true failure is for example, you do a set of barbell curls for 8 reps to failure, someone comes in and puts a gun on your head and says to do 2 more, will you do it? Hell yes, you still have a couple left in you, after that hit the negative part (which you should be emphasizing hard on for each rep) for a couple reps, when you feel your arms will fall off, and cant even do a negative, then your done!

Good philosophy bro. Well said.

Blondie Weapon X
04-25-11, 7:43 am
I dont know if this will help you but it is working for me. Im a painter & Im right handed SO my right bi has a longer flatter look than my left. I think of my right like a long distant runner like muscle and my left more like a sprinter; more peak to it. So my right bi has a hard time getting a pump (bcuz I work it everyday) so what is working for me is I do 25 - 30 reps (1st set no weight then 2nd set with something so light 10 or 15#) of a slow and squeezing every rep to fill it with blood then when its so fricken full I start my full workout!! I have really noticed some great improvement!

zubda345
04-25-11, 9:05 am
yeah bro... Ur right bi has hard time gettin pumped cause it's used to do work....

Everyone is different and different exercises and ideas suit different ppl...

zubda345
04-25-11, 9:09 am

Great philosophy of Dorian

Aggression
04-25-11, 10:38 am
To the OP, if you really want, just post up a pick of you doing a front double bi pose. We'll all take a look and let you know what we think.

Gemini
04-25-11, 6:09 pm
To the OP, if you really want, just post up a pick of you doing a front double bi pose. We'll all take a look and let you know what we think.

Ill be posting up a couple of pics later this evening when I can get a photographer.

Gemini
04-25-11, 9:13 pm
How do I post up a photo? Sorry for the dumb question

Blondie Weapon X
04-25-11, 10:17 pm
How do I post up a photo? Sorry for the dumb question

post through photobucket then share the link :)

Blondie Weapon X
04-25-11, 10:18 pm
btw...no questions are dumb in here. =D

Carrnage
04-26-11, 3:50 pm

Dorian's attitude is awesome. Though i question his physque as he somehow beat Levrone, Ray...but this thread isnt about that hah!

I feel true failure, hitting failure once, then either rest pausing and a drop set, bang out another set to failure, now your muscle will be "truely" failed.

BarbellManiac
04-26-11, 4:53 pm
Dorian's attitude is awesome. Though i question his physque as he somehow beat Levrone, Ray...but this thread isnt about that hah!

I feel true failure, hitting failure once, then either rest pausing and a drop set, bang out another set to failure, now your muscle will be "truely" failed.

Doing that every workout will take a toll on your CNS, once every 3 weeks or so the rest pause and drop set technique works well for me.

Gemini
04-26-11, 5:11 pm
Doing that every workout will take a toll on your CNS, once every 3 weeks or so the rest pause and drop set technique works well for me.

Ill be posting up the link on photo bucket tonight after class or tommorow. I have my rescue sqaud classes so I dont have time tonight. Maybe after I get home ill doit if not tommorow is my day off:) Just wanna keep the thread active so no one thinks I forgot. I definitely do need the feedback. Im going to post up a new adjusted arm workout with the link as well. Id like some feed back if thats too much or too little. Anyways gtg to class ill post it up hopefully tonight. Sooner the better for me. Would like to start creating a strategy to fix my issue as I believe its one. Im a fulltime mechanic and I turn wrenches and such with my right arm so this is why I think that I have the peak in my right arm versus left arm. But ill show you the guys pics and let you judge for your selfs.

Sprint
04-26-11, 6:20 pm

Unfortunately, peak is fairly genetic. Some folk say targeting the outer head can help accentuate the peak, and I've also known people recommend targeting the shorter head for the same reason. If either of these 2 is correct, I'd lean towards the one recommending the longer head.

But I'm personally not convinced it has that much effect. If it did, then those at the very top would have identical left & right bi's, which they don't.

Try Dumbell Hammer Curls, alternating arms. But bring the weight up & across your body, in a lateral plane of movement. Keep everything strict, no elbow/shoulder movement. It should help if you round your shoulders forward before starting the set, & keep them there throughout. It'll help you 'lock in' & avoid any cheating and/or swinging.
Also, make sure the arm that has just completed a rep is totally at the bottom and the rep is finished before the next arm comes up, to eliminate any swinging from side to side.

You might find you'll have to start a little lighter than you would for normal Hammer Curls, but that's true of any new exercise.

Sprint
04-26-11, 6:24 pm
Just to clarify, when I say rounding your shoulders forward, I mean internally rotate them. Still keep your back straight, & proud. Don't be hunching over like some iron-pumping silverback.

BarbellManiac
04-26-11, 10:07 pm
iron-pumping silverback.

Silverbacks rule, man if we had genetics of a gorilla, vegetarian diet and being 400 lbs. Think of what they can achieve on a diet of steak, chicken, rice and animal pak lol

zubda345
04-27-11, 7:50 am
Unfortunately, peak is fairly genetic.

Yeah it's the story! It's a personal personal experience of mine... But for many Focusing on takin the dumbbell "out" while doing biceps might work. Franco told that Arnold would take the weight out to work on peak!

zubda345
04-27-11, 7:53 am
man if we had genetics of a gorilla

We evolved form apes not gorillas lol :P

BarbellManiac
04-27-11, 2:36 pm
We evolved form apes not gorillas lol :P

They still share our genetic and DNA structure

zubda345
04-28-11, 2:48 am
They still share our genetic and DNA structure

LOL

Sprint
04-28-11, 10:46 am
Silverbacks rule, man if we had genetics of a gorilla, vegetarian diet and being 400 lbs. Think of what they can achieve on a diet of steak, chicken, rice and animal pak lol

Oh aye, don't get me wrong, gorilla's are freaky in terms of strength & build etc especially when considering their diet. Although I'm not sure they'd be too good at deadlifting with arms that long.

Was referring more to their posture than anything else.

Gemini
04-28-11, 6:04 pm
Ok here we go. Finally got some time to respond to the thread and load the pictures up to photobucket. Here are the links

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/Blackstallion00/100MEDIA_IMAG0609.jpg
Notice the peak? There not the best pictures but couldn't get a great snap shot. But there is peak none the less

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/Blackstallion00/100MEDIA_IMAG0610.jpg
This one is more flat then peaked. Longer, and flatter instead of peaking up and shaped.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/Blackstallion00/100MEDIA_IMAG0607.jpg
This one is a shot of both so you can compare them flexed at the same time.

I know they are not huge im just starting. But id like any ideas on how to solve this issue. Besides the genetic thing. I dont believe this is a case of genetics. I think its the fact im a mechanic and dominatly right handed. I do all my turning, loosening, tightining with my right arm. Very little at work (at work) is done with my left arm, THIS is why I belive it is not a case of genetics but just one arm is worked generally more than the other. So im trying to solve the problem and even them out.

Let me know if these photos are not enough I can take more and better shots. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments, ideas. Lets have a go at what can be done to solve this! Thx fellas.

Sprint
04-28-11, 8:46 pm
PM'd you bro.

zubda345
04-29-11, 3:30 am
Lift, sprint, eat. All you need to do.
- Nix0r

LOL U added this in ur sig... Great thought man.... :)

Sprint
04-29-11, 8:58 pm
LOL U added this in ur sig... Great thought man.... :)

Damn straight bro!

The Iron Gumby
04-29-11, 10:13 pm
My guess it's from the extra work you put on it wrenching at your job.

Just work on building up your over all super power, when wrenching feels like writing with a pencil due to your new strength then it won't be such a factor in favoring one side.

Gemini
05-03-11, 9:50 am
My guess it's from the extra work you put on it wrenching at your job.

Just work on building up your over all super power, when wrenching feels like writing with a pencil due to your new strength then it won't be such a factor in favoring one side.

I already figured it was from my job. Im just trying to know if I should just continue training both arms simultaneously or if I should put some extra work on my left arm just to even both arms out. Or if I should just let time take its coure and they will eventually even out.

The Iron Gumby
05-03-11, 5:14 pm
I already figured it was from my job. Im just trying to know if I should just continue training both arms simultaneously or if I should put some extra work on my left arm just to even both arms out. Or if I should just let time take its coure and they will eventually even out.

The point is, that if your work is having more of an effect on your physique than your training, then you may need to seriously revise your program if you want maximum gains.

If you're already as big as you want to be then maybe you can learn to wrench with either hand.

This is what a bicep 'peak' looks like: http://goo.gl/ck87B (Larry Scott)

Gemini
05-03-11, 11:45 pm
The point is, that if your work is having more of an effect on your physique than your training, then you may need to seriously revise your program if you want maximum gains.

If you're already as big as you want to be then maybe you can learn to wrench with either hand.

This is what a bicep 'peak' looks like: http://goo.gl/ck87B (Larry Scott)

Yes thats exactly the shape of my dominat arm at work. My left arm is just longer with no shape like that. My right arm however is exactly that the photos I used are not great and not helping me to describe things here either. But thats the shape of my right arm JUST without as much size. But the shape is dead on to his. I also am NOWHERE near close to my personal goals. I have a long road ahead of me to get to where id like to be. So I want to start working on this problem now since im a mechanic and its not stopping anytime soon. And I do try to use my left arm more at work but no noticable changes in its shape.

How would you say to revise my workout? Any sugguestions on that?