PDA

View Full Version : To Power-Trip?

codywallison
04-25-11, 8:14 pm
First off a little background: I'm 18, 186 lbs and 5'10", I've been trainin for about a year and 7 months and for about the last two months I've been using a hybrid power/hypertrophy split by Layne Norton. Currently my maxes are Bench 240, Squat 350, and Deadlift 405 respectively, all raw, so my question is, do I have some potential here? I mean I've never trained for power specifically and here's what I got, so what do you think, stick to bodybuilding or give it a shot?

B.S.
04-25-11, 11:15 pm
almost 1000 raw is pretty good for 181 raw class if you could drop 5 lbs
bench needs some work bro just keep it up

everyone has potential, keep it up

Phil800101
04-26-11, 1:53 pm
everyone has potential, keep it up

Agreed.

Honestly bro, do what makes you happy. You can do both...it's not common, but there are those out there who compete both in powerlifting and bodybuilding. Stan "The Rhino" Efferding does both, and I know Sam "Big" Byrd has done some bodybuilding shows as well. And these are just pros I'm thinking of, I know there are countless people out there who do both...again, not common, but they're out there.

And I know there are many on here who do what G-Diesel termed "Powerbuilding." That is, focusing on both physique and strength. Basically, trying to get bigger and stronger while maintaining a solid physique. Size begets strength, and strength begets size.

True, you probably can get better results if you focus on one or the other. But it's not like you have to choose. Furthermore, just because someone is powerlifting doesn't mean they have to get doughy or something, just as if bodybuilding doesn't mean you're not strong anymore. If you feel like competing in one or the other, than go for it. If you want to do both, go for it.

codywallison
04-26-11, 6:07 pm
Thanks guys, sound advice. I really appreciate it!

Cellardweller
04-27-11, 6:16 pm
Those are solid niumbers for 18. Just follow your dreams. At 18 your life is sooo full of potential. I wish I knew what the hell I wanted to do when I was 18.

BarbellManiac
04-28-11, 12:50 pm
Some people are made to be strong, while others to look good. You have potential for both, in the end it comes down to what you find more interesting.

codywallison
05-02-11, 9:23 pm
Well, I've been thinkin damn hard about this shit for a week now, to the point where it's a test on my freakin nerves.
The sport(s) is so important to me. Here's the thing: I'd rather train for power, because the dieting and posing and finding trunks and peaking for contest aspects of bodybuilding seem incredibly overwhelming to me and I don't have the money for a coach to help out. BUT, I'm terrified that if I train for power specifically, I won't gain size. And worse yet, I'm worried that I wont gain size in areas like calves and biceps, even rear delts which seem to be unimportant in the Westside Barbell Template. I ask that someone with experience, something I don't have, HELP!

B.S.
05-03-11, 12:50 am
Well, I've been thinkin damn hard about this shit for a week now, to the point where it's a test on my freakin nerves.
The sport(s) is so important to me. Here's the thing: I'd rather train for power, because the dieting and posing and finding trunks and peaking for contest aspects of bodybuilding seem incredibly overwhelming to me and I don't have the money for a coach to help out. BUT, I'm terrified that if I train for power specifically, I won't gain size. And worse yet, I'm worried that I wont gain size in areas like calves and biceps, even rear delts which seem to be unimportant in the Westside Barbell Template. I ask that someone with experience, something I don't have, HELP!

with heavy weight comes heavy muscle. throw in some delt and bicep work if you see necessary

Phil800101
05-03-11, 4:06 am
with heavy weight comes heavy muscle. throw in some delt and bicep work if you see necessary

Agreed.

If you train heavy, and your diet/rest are on point, you will get bigger. Pulling makes the biceps grow, and pushing will make the delts grow. Calves will grow from squatting. And you can always ad some accessory work if you feel the need to. It's not like Westside magically stops working because you did some curls or calf raises.

If you're worried about fat, don't eat shit. Keep it clean, and the gains will be clean. Garbage in will equal garbage out, simple as that.

I wouldn't start with Westside either. It works, but it's generally for experienced lifters. I'd start with something more basic first.

Myself, I've been lifting for almost six years now. I was always "powerbuilding" before, and just recently started powerlifting. I've been running a very basic 5x5 program and am seeing some solid results. Eventually I will probably progress to some other method or methods, but for now it's simple and it works. I see other programs (5/3/1, Westside) as things I can pursue when I plateau or hit a wall.

And as for the accessory work, my program didn't call for forearm/grip work or ab work. But, I do it because I know that it is essential.

Most important of all, remember that you are young and you have time. You can always adapt or make changes. It's not like you have to make a set decision on everything RIGHT NOW or you'll be fucked. Pick something, try it out, and see how it goes. Be patient, give it some time, and if you don't like what is happening reassess and make changes as necessary. Adapt and overcome is the name of the game my man.

As always, you have one of the best resources right here at your fingertips for ideas, suggestions, or advice. This Forvm is a goldmine.

codywallison
05-03-11, 7:29 am
Thank you phil, I appreciate it

Phil800101
05-03-11, 7:40 am
Thank you phil, I appreciate it

Sure thing, glad I could be of help.

naturalguy
05-03-11, 8:12 am
Powerlifting is a personal journey. It's about pushing yourself to do your best.

I say go for it. Competing is an incredible experience that is tough to describe and as others have said you can do both powerlifting and bodybuilding.